• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z to Be the First Rapper inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7694508/2017-songwriters-hall-fame-inductees-jay-z-max-martin

"With our 2017 roster of inductees, the Songwriters Hall of Fame moves definitively into recognizing music creators of the 21st century while continuing to honor the greats of earlier decades. The combination of contemporary sounds and timeless hits of the past is certain to make for an unforgettable evening," said Hall co-chairs Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff and President Linda Moran. "The songwriters we honor cross genre, regional and even national boundaries - R & B, Rap, Pop and Rock & Roll from both coasts, the American heartland and Sweden. We are thrilled to once more have the opportunity to preside over an event that recognizes the convergence of song craft and musical performance at the very highest level."
Following the news, Warner/Chappell Chairman & CEO Jon Platt praised Jay Z's achievement in a memo to staff: "Since his debut album, Reasonable Doubt, was released over two decades ago, it's been an incredible honor to work with the greatest MC of all time as he continues to achieve the unprecedented. Today, his songwriting is celebrated with a new, landmark achievement: being inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. With this announcement, Jay is also the first rap artist to ever be inducted into the SHOF. This is an enormous accomplishment for Jay, as well as on behalf of fellow hip-hop songwriters everywhere, as he takes his place alongside past inductees and legends, ranging from Bob Dylan to Stevie Wonder, and Marvin Gaye to Lennon & McCartney."

https://twitter.com/S_C_/status/834532817514098689

Congratulations The GOAT, let the salt flow!

hmm, but is he actually bigging up his brother? Or did the illuminati actually write all his rhymes?
please don't take me seriously

Linkura

When I heard a tiny bit of this on the radio today- I just heard the first rapper was getting inducted, not who it was- I assumed it was Tupac. Wtf?

Lol @ Max Martin also being inducted. Some good company there.

Galang

Banned
How do you have an award for songwriters and not include the genre most dependant on it's lyrics? I know the answer, but it's still sad it took so long.

I thought most of his bars were straight off the dome?
"Can I Live" was the last song he wrote physically (though he might have mentioned trying to write some more some time a few years ago), and it's not off the dome, he essentially just writes but instead of putting it on paper he keeps it in his head memorizing it, hears a beat, sit's on it for any period from a minute to an hour, goes in the booth and spits.
This award also encompasses songs he's written for others, which he's done a lot of, such as writing "Still Dre" (all of it, including Snoops part).
When I heard a tiny bit of this on the radio today- I just heard the first rapper was getting inducted, not who it was- I assumed it was Tupac. Wtf?

Lol @ Max Martin also being inducted. Some good company there.
There are no posthumous inductions, it's a required 20 years in the game to be nominated/get in.

kirblar

How do you have an award for songwriters and not include the genre most dependant on it's lyrics? I know the answer, but it's still sad it took so long.
You need to be old to get in due to the longevity requirements. The genre's really young, so it taking a while makes sense, though still seems overdue despite that.

spyder_ur

Pretty stunned he's the first. I didn't know this was a thing, but I consider Tupac and Nas two of the greatest songwriters of all time, and put Jay at least a peg below that.

The White music establishment always gave hip hop second class citizenship. Look no further than the Grammys for proof.

Pretty stunned he's the first. I didn't know this was a thing, but I consider Tupac and Nas two of the greatest songwriters of all time, and put Jay at least a peg below that.
Well Tupac can't be inducted because he (sadly) wasn't able to work for the required 20 years.
I agree on Nas though.
Nas and Common both reached the required years prior to Jay and without a doubt should have been inducted, but I'm gonna vehemently disagree on Jay being a peg below that.

Well Tupac can't be inducted because he (sadly) wasn't able to work for the required 20 years.
I agree on Nas though.
Nas and Common both reached the required years prior to Jay and without a doubt should have been inducted, but I'm gonna vehemently disagree on Jay being a peg below that.

Drug Dealers Anonymous is as good example as any of Jay still being able to spit high quality bars when he wants to.
I dont really care if he's not as consistently eloquent as Nas or verbose as lyrical miracle rappers, he's already did a whole album of that when he came into the game 20 years ago.

Has he ever won an ascap writer award? or is this just political. Just did a search this shit is political.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/jay_z/awards.html
No shit it's political, Jay Z's level of fame and level of crossover into "White America" made him the perfect pick to be in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, it's the easy choice for whatever the out of touch voting group is.
Be thankful that it was from someone who came from the culture/influenced it who has actual bonafides as a lyricist, and that it was a black person.

Straight off Biggie's dome more like it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLipqNjQr6A
Here comes single handedly one of the worst argument I've seen used in rap history, not only does Jay Z write for others, but his career is so expansive that it's absurd to attack him for paying homage to one of his dead best friends when the lyrics take up no substantial part in his discography (and in some cases like with Friend of Foe weren't even lyric lifts, despite being included in the video).
99.9% of Jay's material is his own, and he's not doing anything other rappers don't do (I can think of five times Kendrick Lamar has used Jay bars, remember times Eminem used Jay's lyrics, and the list goes on and on for rappers).
I can respect that.

Because he is a much better writer than he is a rapper.
Jay Z's technical ability as a rapper is up there with the best.
Knew it was Bounceounce before entering
I'm infamous.

Lkr

I'm not too big on Jay but he's definitely very deserving of the honor.

Before today I didn't know about this hall of fame. I just looked it up on wiki and I'm not sure I understand this. Drake is listed under some award and so is Rob Thomas. Are they in the HOF or nah? I'm legit confused.

Edit:: did some more research and now I see there is a difference between the awards and HOF.
The guy that wrote baby one more time is also being inducted lmao. Jay Z is more accomplished than any of these other guys being inducted this year

No shit it's political, Jay Z's level of fame and level of crossover into "White America" made him the perfect pick to be in the Songwriters Hall of Fame, it's the easy choice for whatever the out of touch voting group is.
Be thankful that it was from someone who came from the culture/influenced it who has actual bonafides as a lyricist, and that it was a black person.

You say that like I give a fuck. I don't do politics, If it's not real, it's real dumb.

White people make a safe pick.

More news at 11.
And that safe pick is one of the greatest rappers of all time with massive acclaim from his fans to his peers, sorry that one of the most prolific rappers in history happens to be a safe pick, but sometimes it works out like that, he deserves this.
You say that like I give a fuck. I don't do politics, If it's not real, it's real dumb.
Would you be complaining about it being political is it was from an artist you preferred?
Or would you be saying it's still political because of how late it was?

In honor of this, here's an excellent verse/written analysis from Jay detailing the role Hip Hop has had in shifting American society/as a tool for revolution:

(Jay's verse is last, just skip to 2:30 if that's all you want to hear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uilDT8yCk0

"As long as there's, drugs to be sold
I ain't waitin' for the system to plug up these holes
I ain't slippin' through the cracks
So I'm at Portland, Oregon tryin' to slip you these raps
The first black in the suburbs
You'd think I had ecstasy, percocet, and plus syrup
The way the cops converged, they fucked up my swerve
The first young buck that I served
I thought back to the block
I never seen a cop when I was out there
They never came out there
And out there, I was slingin' crack to live
I'm only slingin' raps to your kids
I'm only trying to show you how black niggas live
But you don't want your little ones actin' like this
Lil' Amy told Becky, Becky told Jenny
And now they all know the skinny
Lil' Joey got his doo rag on
Driving down the street blastin' 2Pac's song,
But Billy like Snoop, got his blue rag on,
Now before you know it, you back in 'Nam
Now the police, got me in the middle of the street
Trying to beat me blue, black and orange
I'm like hold up, who you smacking on
I'm only trying to eat what you snacking on"

-Jay's saying two things with his first four lines on this verse:

1) He's saying that as long as the system still creates the systematic issues that allows for selling drugs to be an option, Jay and by proxy other black youth won't wait for the government to fix these issues before they take advantage of the bad cards given to them despite how destructive they are, which fits into the narrative set up in the two verses prior to Jay's, of black people taking up destructive activities such as robbing pizza men as revolutionary acts against the system.

2)He's saying that by taking advantage of these holes he and by proxy other black individuals won't be slipping through the cracks, which is also sort of a contradiction because by needing to turn towards selling drugs you are, but the double meaning for this verse is that Jay is actually telling you that he WON'T be selling drugs, that he's not going to fall through the unplugged holes from the first line, he "ain't slipping through the "cracks", he's really trying to slip rap through the cracks to middle/upper class white society such as in Portland/Oregon which he's using to represent stereotypically white areas.

3)This means that in the first line when Jay say's he's not waiting for the system that failed him to plug up these holes, that he's not going to sell drugs, but that and he's going to take matters into his own hands and create music to educate people on the position that those in low income communities are in, and that by making music he's going to gain wealth for himself and not fall victim to the system set up to trap him.

4)Also shows good repetition with slip.

5)In this next section Jay continues the concept he set up in the first four lines, by creating an extended metaphor comparing the act of actually going into white/middle/upper class neighborhoods with the simple spread of rap music, as both have been seen as corrupting forces and used to fear monger against blacks throughout history, and as cops are theoretically the gatekeepers against the corrupting influence of drugs Jay puts them up as the fighters against the corrupting influence against rap music as they show similar fervor towards Jay to the fervor shown against drug dealers, which "fucks up his swerve", swerve as in cops converging in their car to swerve Jay off the road as if he had drugs in the back or as if he was in a car chase, and swerve as in someone's swerve typically meaning someone's moves, describing how cops converge to fuck up people perfectly legitimate moves to improve in life.

6) Then in the next line where Jay thinks about how the police didn't show the same care they showed for him back in the hood as they showed when he was trying to cross societal lines, Jay set's up cops not just as people opposed to these "corrupting influences" but as gate keepers for white supremacy intent on keeping the status quo, which as the next line shows means keeping rap music away from the non-black/minority youth so they won't know the real ills of society from their positon of privilege, and they don't want their kids acting like those "thugs", or more that they don't want their kids empathizing with them.

7)In the next section Jay uses stereotypical white names to describe the spread of rap music/information through white society, saying that they all "know the skinny", skinny being a slang term for people knowing what's going on/what's up, and the skinny also double's as a descriptor for the 'Lil Joey' (he uses lil as a replacement for little because it shows the spread of rap terminology) blasting Tupac as the 'skinny' conflicts with the tough/Tupac image, and then Billy likes Snoop who's a Crip so by putting the blue on and by wanting to identify with them Billy's "throwing his lot"/allegiance in with that side of society, and this "takeover" triggers a rash of negative emotions/feelings in white society and since Vietnam's a war specifically associated with PTSD and terrible warfare he uses Nam as the descriptor for it (also it fits the rhyme scheme and people always say "back in Nam" to describe their experiences in Vietnam).

6)This whole verse was an analogy for rap/music as a tool for societal/social change/revolution which fits into the theme of the whole song, so by bringing 'Nam' in he set's up society as being in some sort of war that he's a soldier in that's encroaching on the lives of the people who are afraid of him/minorities and want to keep them down, and the police are the soldiers on the front line so he brings the verse full circle by placing himself as a victim of police brutality to prevent him from simply speaking to whites and for simply practicing social mobility by trying to eat what they're (as in upper society) is snacking on.

8)I got this one from the Rap Genius analysis, they're beating Jay blue and black which is a typical description for being beat, but he adds orange to describe the severity and as a descriptor for being beaten into an orange jump suit as in jail which describes the pipeline minorities in this country are put into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom