• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z to Be the First Rapper inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hov deserves this but doesn't deserve to be the first.

But I will admit, with age I've appreciated Reasonable Doubt. That's such a fresh off the block album and his lyricism and flow were at his peak.

Jigolo

Jay doesn't write his stuff down therefore he cannot be nominated.

Surely there will be protesters since its all the craze right now

Nas won. Also lmao at him being the goat, I rarely see people saying that.
There's more than enough people who consider Jay to be the GOAT, and there would certainly be more people claiming it if Jay wasn't plagued by the many irrational, baseless narratives/fiction that have attacked each stage of his career.

Elaborate on this.
Narratives and fictions, beliefs about Jay that have been accepted as fact or common knowledge among many due to their repetition or distaste against Jay rather than their factual basis.
Thing's like narratives on his business dealings/relationships with his friends/supposed "snakehood" that have managed to infect views on his work/lead people not want to give him credit.
Thing's like his dynamic/relationships with Biggie or Big l.
His business/fame/monetary success superseding him to the point where people either don't want to give him credit as an artist or not see him as a substantial lyricist or just hate on him.
Illuminati.
His actual come up.
And so much more.

jrush64

Banned
At what? He never had a good album, had a good song, has been trash since then, is a good social activist, but goddamn he ain't shit as a rapper.

Hov may be the GOAT Rapper

Come on dude. I mean, come on dude. Come on dude. Everything you said is not remotely true.

Westlo

Smh at people saying he's biting biggie, especially using examples like friend or foe which says "tell big he's unbelievable yo" right after the line he jacked from biggies unbelievable.

No different to ja rule saying "like jay said, money ain't a thang".

At what? He never had a good album, had a good song, has been trash since then, is a good social activist, but goddamn he ain't shit as a rapper.

lmao. Illmatic is a classic and many agree even though I prefer IWW. Gods son, Stilmatic are both amazing classics as well. His last album Life is good is even good so what do you mean he is trash since then.

Ewww, never had a good album is just....smh

Smh at people saying he's biting biggie, especially using examples like friend or foe which says "tell big he's unbelievable yo" right after the line he jacked from biggies unbelievable.

No different to ja rule saying "like jay said, money ain't a thang".

Eh, it's not super far-fetched tho. Literally

Biggie's The World is Filled
When the Rémy’s in the system
Ain’t no telling, “When I fuck em, will I diss em?”
That’s what these hoes yelling
I’m a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all still chase ‘em, I replace 'em
Drunk off Dom…

Jay-Z I Just Wanna Love U

When the Remy's in the system, ain't no tellin'
Will I fuck 'em, will I diss 'em, that's what they be yellin'
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all be chasin', I replace them, huh?

Plenty more examples, but props to Hov being the first. Dude is arguably the GOAT. A few can hold that title IMO.

Ewww, never had a good album is just....smh

Eh, it's not super far-fetched tho. Literally

Biggie's The World is Filled

Jay-Z I Just Wanna Love U

Plenty more examples, but props to Hov being the first. Dude is arguably the GOAT. A few can hold that title IMO.

This reminds me of camrons swagger jacker jay z diss lol.

Well Tupac can't be inducted because he (sadly) wasn't able to work for the required 20 years.
I agree on Nas though.
Nas and Common both reached the required years prior to Jay and without a doubt should have been inducted, but I'm gonna vehemently disagree on Jay being a peg below that.

Co-Signed.

Lets not front, some of Hip Hop's greatest verses have been spit from that Man. And the consistency. The Goat For real.

Prime Jay-Z = Pac/BIG >>>Everyone else.

Is this any different from a producer sampling?
Yeah it's plenty different. If you were a MC back in the day, biting something heavily frowned upon. That's weak af

I mean RZA just says it's best, not only dissing people like Jay-Z for his style but mc's biting in General.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjx5l92oBbc

So Jay can spin in it and say he was paying homage, but people looked at him as a biter.

Edit: Jay-Z reminds me of Donald Trump as far as insecurities go. "I won the election, remember the election, I won the election" He went on a damn campaign basically telling everyone that reasonable doubt was a classic for years, like he was trying to re-write history when it couldn't hold a candle to the other albums that dropped at that time.

Yeah it's plenty different. If you were a MC back in the day, biting something heavily frowned upon. That's weak af

I mean RZA just says it's best, not only dissing people like Jay-Z for his style but mc's biting in General.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjx5l92oBbc

So Jay can spin in it and say he was paying homage, but people looked at him as a biter.

Edit: Jay-Z reminds me of Donald Trump as far as insecurities go. He went on a damn campaign basically telling everyone that reasonable doubt was a classic when it couldn't hold a candle to the other albums that dropped at that time.

He didn't go on a campaign to convince people Reasonable Doubt was a classic, he mentioned it on the Hardknock Life (the song) and on Blueprint (Momma Loves Me), the fabled campaign and brainwashing is a fiction created by Jay's haters who want to discredit all of his accomplishments, kind of like when they get desperate and try to say "B-but Jay was never the biggest artist in any given year!"
Almost all rappers shout out their albums as classic.

Fact, Reasonable doubt sold well, fact, it was reviewed well, fact it allowed Jay's career to move forward towards being considered one of the greatest rappers of all time, fact, not all pieces of art make a huge splash at the time of their release, fact, it has no bearing on the albums actual quality.

Almost all rappers do what Jay did with bars, it's not substantive within the breadth of his career, and even the people who made the disses don't give a fuck, the only people who care are those wo want to pick on any little piece they can try and knock Jay down, come back to me when you have 10+ albums of material/features/mixtape songs/loosies/and ghostwritten material based off of bitten bars.

oh yeah, almost forgot the obligatory

"Nas lost"

beH5RQJ.gif

Really though, there are plenty of rappers who should be induced before Jay.

bman94

So we really going to put Jay in there over Nas and Pac...okay...

Can't believe the shit I'm reading.

He didn't go on a campaign to convince people Reasonable Doubt was a classic, he mentioned it on the Hardknock Life (the song) and on Blueprint (My Momma Loves Me), the fabled campaign and brainwashing is a fiction created by Jay's haters who want to discredit all of his accomplishments, kind of like when they get desperate and try to say "B-but Jay was never the biggest artist in any given year!"
Almost all rappers shout out their albums as classic.

Fact, Reasonable doubt sold well, fact, it was reviewed well, fact it allowed Jay's career to move forward towards being considered one of the greatest rappers of all time, fact, not all pieces of art make a huge splash at the time of their release, fact, it has no bearing on the albums actual quality.

Almost all rappers do what Jay did with bars, it's not substantive within the breadth of his career, and even the people who made the disses don't give a fuck, the only people who care are those wo want to pick on any little piece they can try and knock Jay down, come back to me when you have 10+ albums of material/features/mixtape songs/loosies/and ghostwritten material based off of bitten bars.
I don't know where you are from, but you didn't have to listen to this guy go on Hot 97 and Power 105 talking up Reasonable Doubt like it belongs anywhere near the top ten of that year, let alone the 90's during the pre ethering. The thing that allowed Jay to move forward was Biggie dying. Biggie's best friend Jay-Z, or so the narrative is spun, dude isn't even shouted out in the linear notes of ready to die. This is the same dude wHo supposedly dissed Pac at the Apollo and the crowd went crazy, but then Pac died so they scrapped it? Word? Yet no one ever talked about that happening.

Fact - MC's have called out Jay for biting beyond Nas and Camrom

Fact - Jay lost the battle to Nas and got reprimanded by his own mother for disrespecting a women

Fact - Rakim, Nas, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, KRS were all better lyricist and more influential than Jay-Z, I could list more.

The best to ever do it? Nah, the most known in white households? Yeah I'll give him that.

It's a shame that true pioneers didn't get this accolade first.

And that safe pick is one of the greatest rappers of all time with massive acclaim from his fans to his peers, sorry that one of the most prolific rappers in history happens to be a safe pick, but sometimes it works out like that, he deserves this.

Would you be complaining about it being political is it was from an artist you preferred?
Or would you be saying it's still political because of how late it was?

Nah, I can't he's one of the greatest at all.

Nas and Bahamadia should have got in over him. I Gave You Power is one of the most masterfully crafted and layered songs and for a genre where the artists are also the songwriters, this shit should've happened a long ass time ago.

Nas and Bahamadia should have got in over him. I Gave You Power is one of the most masterfully crafted and layered songs and for a genre where the artists are also the songwriters, this shit should've happened a long ass time ago.

I gave you power is dope, but organized konfusion did that concept first with stray bullet. With that said, Nas Escobar was the best Nas. Man we need a 90's hip hop thread in OT.

I don't know where you are from, but you didn't have to listen to this guy go on Hot 97 and Power 105 talking up Reasonable Doubt like it belongs anywhere near the top ten of that year, let alone the 90's during the pre ethering. The thing that allowed Jay to move forward was Biggie dying. Biggie's best friend Jay-Z, or so the narrative is spun, dude isn't even shouted out in the linear notes of ready to die. This is the same dude wHo supposedly dissed Pac at the Apollo and the crowd went crazy, but then Pac died so they scrapped it? Word? Yet no one ever talked about that happening.

Fact - MC's have called out Jay for biting beyond Nas and Camrom

Fact - Jay lost the battle to Nas and got reprimanded by his own mother for disrespecting a women

Fact - Rakim, Nas, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, KRS were all better lyricist and more influential than Jay-Z, I could list more.

The best to ever do it? Nah, the most known in white households? Yeah I'll give him that.

It's a shame that true pioneers didn't get this accolade first.

1) Why shouldn't he talk up his album? it's his album, if he believes it has that level of quality and the people judge him correct then why shouldn't it be considered a classic, especially with the influence he's had on rappers that came after him/the level his career has reached?

2) You're mentioning ether, irrelevant but a common tactic for Jay hater's (not people with constructive criticism) who want to break the man down or act as though Ether has bearing on anything beyond the battle, makes me want to discount everything you're saying even more.

3) Fact, Jay Z is loved by many of his peers and is considered one of the greatest rappers of all time.

4) No shit Jay lost the battle to Nas, so fucking what?

5) None of the people you listed match Jay on a technical or poetic basis other than Nas.

6) Attack Jay for something involving white people, you're just checking off the Jay bashing check list, it's sad that his fame precedes him to the point where many people don't want to give him credit/act as though he's not very talented.

7) Doesn't mean Jay is undeserving.

8) Jay is attacked for being friends with Biggie like you're doing, it's just salt even though it's irrelevant towards Jay's skill.

Now here's the fun part, let's bring it back to the Biggie point, fool's like you will always use his association with him and your ignorance as to the actualities of their relationship/dynamic to bash on Jay as if that somehow props up the memory of Biggie, as if Biggie represents some higher level of Hip Hop that Jay corrupted or that Jay was just his sidekick, but I'm talking fact's so let's talk facts, not baseless narratives:

- First thing's first, if you knew anything about Jay or Biggie you would know that they did not associate with each other until either late 95 or early 96 when Jay was I the middle of making Reasonable Doubt:

https://gumbomonster.wordpress.com/blog-stew/tizzo-tips/how-biggie-and-jay-z-first-met/

The circumstances behind their meeting are backed up by multiple other accounts as well, and contradict the narrative of Jay being the one chasing after Biggie, they met as equals.

It was about for the last 2 or 2 and 1/2 years of Big's life.

-Biggie was a fan of Jay's Dead Presidents 1 record prior to meeting him:

"DJ Clark Kent spoke on having the first and second versions of ”Dead Presidents" on repeat while touring with The Notorious B.I.G.  Singing Jay-Hova's praises, Big and the rest of the tour bus were sick of hearing Kent say that Jay could out rap the King of New York.  When Big finally gave a listen to the aforementioned tracks, he changed his tune.  ”After Big heard that, this is before they met to do ‘Brooklyn's Finest,' he was like, ‘Clark, that dude got it. He got it. He got it.' That let me know that I wasn't crazy."

Also talked about here starting at 6:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7_UvBv6ao

(The Dead President's thing from someone other than Clark Kent, and he talks about how close they were)

-That is probably why he Biggie opted to appear in the video for the track as well as why he appeared in the "Aint no nigga" video as well despite Jay being an unknown artist, even if it meant traveling out of country, he respected him despite not being featured, there was no BK Finest video because Puffy wouldn't let them use it as a single.

- According to Lil Kim:

”(Biggie) and Jay Z just had this adorable friendship — it was the cutest. They were so competitive with each other, but it was such a friendly competitiveness, and I loved it because that's how it's supposed to be when you like somebody."

”B.I.G. admired Jay on the hustling level. I think he saw Jay was gonna be able to maneuver the game the way he is. I think he always seen that in Jay."

Also there's another interview where she talks about how they talked daily until the day that Big died, dinners, partying, including just phonecalls while Big was on tour, they had a bromance which is backed up in other sources (I'll try to find the interview).

Also performing together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B21D-aKuWAs

(more pictures of them on google performing together in other places as well)

- If you want a Nas source since you seem to care about him, he mentions Biggie admiring Jay from how Big talked about him to him/what he saw on "Last Real Niggaz Alive".

- Biggie didn't bring Jay back on I Love The Dough (which was supposed to be their first video) and I Love The Dough because he wasn't tight with Jay, their rapping competitiveness was brotherly.

- That's why Biggie wanted to make The Commission with Jay as his right hand man right?

- That's why Biggie said ”Asked My Man Jigga, My Ace Boon Coon..." on a non-I Love The Dough track (which is slang for #1 friend or best friend)

-Big featured Jay on Lil Kim's first album even though he wasn't a big artist yet/

-Also on Biggie's last interview on Rap City days before he died they asked him to give shouts out, and he only said His son, Daughter, Junior Mafia and "JAY Z, PLAYBOY JIGGA, THAT'S IT", his word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA7J3Mq9gTo

Jay was an unofficial bad boy member and Biggie planned on staying with Jay for the ride.

Their closeness is one of the reasons Lil Cease is always at Jay events.

-Biggie would say Jay Z is the future

-According to Jay, Biggie called him to ask why he wasn't out in California partying with him on the night that he died.

And so much more solidifying their close relationship, you don't want to buy it or act like you're championing the memory of Biggie by bagging on Jay, but let's be clear, I have the facts, I don't have the narrative against Jay and vendetta to make it seem like he undeservedly stumbled into success.

Jay came in the game a boss unlike Biggie, would he have been as unchallenged had Biggie lived? Nope, but he wouldn't have failed and would have continued to rise as a rapper and a businessman.

You guys are always creating narratives born from ignorance of Jay's life and fill in the blanks with things to make him look bad.

What are your thought's on being wrong on everything involving Jay and Biggie just because you want to hate on Jay?

I think Nas should have gotten in before Jay, but not because of "I Gave you Power", that songs a little overrated to me.
I think Jay's just as good as him and better in certain aspects of rapping and vice versa though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom