• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Flunkie said:
2ueigc7.gif

I love that gif soo much

Wii/DS = @_@ There are no words...
PS3 = :D
PSP = hardware sales are there, but what about software?
PS2 = Still selling strong after what seven years now?!
360 = :lol

le.phat

bloody pirate said:
This is Sony right? I mean come on.. if you count July and august total I bet MS will win... Too human will be a better killer app then MGS4..

honour your bet. 1 million days ban, son.

legend166 said:
So weekly sales for PS3 in May - 52k

June - 81k

Nice bump. Though if it drops back down to previous levels next month, it wouldn't have been worth much.

360 sales are anemic. MS are dreaming if introducing a new SKU at the same price will do anything.

New SKUs just fucking pollute the market and confuse consumers anyway. I don't know why Microsoft and Sony are so hellbent on fragmenting their userbase that way.

SailorDaravon said:
Am I the only one thinks that the fact that MGS4 only pushed an additional 200k units over last month isn't that good? Remember, this was the game that everyone said would be the game they got a PS3 for, etc. I would have guessed at least 500k.

Also damn, GTA must have dropped a fucking ton.
Still $500, which I would think is the biggest hold up at this point.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
god hannah montana is gross

well PS3 did better than i thought it would. Nothing much more needs to be said about Wii and DS... they have golden thrones.

Don't worry, man. After the FF13 X360 announcment gets ahold of the masses the PS3 will be at the bottom again. ;)

EazyB

Banned
I wanna see how MS spins this one. Seems like they got a little too confident but after being knocked on their ass they'll have to step it up. Decent numbers for MGS4, woulda liked to see more copies sold (what are you PS3 owners playing instead?). I can't complain about NG2's sales, hopefully they reach 1 mil before dropping off into oblivion.

kottila

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=15886

NINTENDO NEWS: AFTER 20 MONTHS, NPD DATA SHOWS WII EMERGES AS THE NO. 1 U.S. HOME CONSOLE

Equaling its status on a worldwide basis, Wii has become the best-selling video game console in the United States. According to independent sales tracking information from the NPD Group, more than 666,000 Wii consoles sold for the month of June, and nearly 10.9 million Wii consoles have been sold in the United States in the 20 months following its November 2006 launch. The system is credited with breaking down the psychological barriers between gamers and non-gamers.

"Wii was created with the goal of expanding the gaming universe through its intuitive motion-sensing controller," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "As we have demonstrated this week during the E3 Media & Business Summit, Wii continues to pioneer new ways for people to interact with their video games and with one another."

The portable Nintendo DS finished as the top-selling U.S. video game system in June, with more than 783,000 units sold. To date, more than 20.8 million Nintendo DS has been sold in the United States.

The report also shows that six out of the top 10 best-selling games for June are made for Nintendo systems, including Guitar Hero® On Tour (No. 2), Wii Fit (No. 4), Wii Play (No. 5), Mario Kart® Wii (No. 6), LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for Wii (No. 7) and LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for Nintendo DS (No. 9).

PhatSaqs

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Am I the only one thinks that the fact that MGS4 only pushed an additional 200k units over last month isn't that good? Remember, this was the game that everyone said would be the game they got a PS3 for, etc. I would have guessed at least 500k.

Yeah. GTA deserves to drop.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Don't worry, man. After the FF13 X360 announcment gets ahold of the masses the PS3 will be at the bottom again. ;)

well sarcasm aside, it will be at the bottom again in the coming months without some other huge exclusive. i do not see on the horizon another MGS4. I hope LittleBigPlanet punches me in the face and sells 15,000,000 consoles though. Because it is goddamn rad.

I wonder now if Kojima thinks highly of the US again. He seemed a little disappointed with MGS3 USA sales before :D

legend166

SailorDaravon said:

No game EVER pushes that much hardware.

Juice

UH-OH Microsoft.

I'm still convinced that half the PS3s being sold are being sold as Blu-Ray players. Between its position on electronic store circulars next to each HDTV and the common sense knowledge (plus TV salesman wisdom) that they're preferable to standalone players, that should be enough to gain traction against the 360, even though Sony is unlikely to see much follow-up income from that lot.

Edit: Oh, and Nintendomination and all that.

Frillen

Only 4 Wii games in the top 10 this month, compared to 5 last month. Fad confirmed and by October there will be zero.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Scum said:
So that's probably 6 million+ sold, right? Now that's impressive.

Broke 6 million this month. 6,125,000 total sold through.

There are only two games since the PSX era that have single-SKU sold this many units. GTA VC and GTA SA.

GreekWolf

Now this is more like it! The HD war is finally becoming somewhat interesting.

This holiday season ought to be oodles of fun. Will Resistance or Gears push more hardware... or will it be a surprise contender like Banjo?

sionyboy said:
Ahhhh Cause and Effect, I do enjoy that episode. I only wish Frasier had a bigger speaking part.

You're gonna hate me for this - None of those clips are from "Cause and Effect" (though they look like it). They're actually from Generations, and the DS9 episode "The Jem'Hedar".

Anyways, considering how well Sony have done in terms of hardware and software compared to last month, my other NPD gif is innapropriate. Ah well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GreekWolf said:
Now this is more like it! The HD war is finally becoming somewhat interesting.

This holiday season ought to be oodles of fun. Will Resistance or Gears push more hardware... or will it be a surprise contender like Banjo?

Or LBP.

I like Resistance and Gears. But come on. Restore my faith, videogames market, restore my faith.

FrankT

Amir0x said:
well sarcasm aside, it will be at the bottom again in the coming months without some other huge exclusive. i do not see on the horizon another MGS4. I hope LittleBigPlanet punches me in the face and sells 15,000,000 consoles though. Because it is goddamn rad.

I wonder now if Kojima thinks highly of the US again. He seemed a little disappointed with MGS3 USA sales before :D

I don't ever see the PS3 outselling the 360 in the US this generation there is still at least a ~5.7 million lead and there biggest gun just came out giving them about ~220K+ for a month and ~300K for the year of a total that was at a ~6 million lead . If it is anything like Japan as well the hardware and software post MGS4 will drop pretty significantly fairly quickly. With the announcements MS made this week and a fire sale I could see MS only extending this lead for the rest of the year. I also do not see the PS3 selling anywhere close to Nov/Dec numbers compared to the 360 at this point either.

matmanx1

I knew it! All you loons saying MGS4 wouldnt have much effect on PS3 sales were smokin' some seriously wacky weed. And the Wii is quite abit under what I expected for the month. I wonder if hardware was that constrained? Sub 700k doesnt seem quite right.

And nearly 1 million copies of MGS4 (including the hardware bundled ones, of course) in one month in one territory is phenomenal but well deserved.

DS sells were amazingly good. Did GH push that many hardware sells? PSP sales were likewise good for a month were there were no major releases for the platform.

And lol at PS2 sales being mighty close to XBOX 360 sales. Coupled with the PS2 version of Lego Indy I guess it just goes to show how viable the PS2 is for major releases.

And finally, good to see Bad Company break the top 10. It's a solid game with a fun multiplayer component.

Clinton514

laserbeam said:
GTA4 totally vanishing basically shows that The Hardcore arent the people who made the franchise successful. Bet Rockstar wishes it had a Wii version of GTA4 now
Gotta agree with you there sans the Wii version.

Again I ask(generally), how relevant will that DLC be once it does arrive?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ok, third parties are seriously losing a lot of money not supporting the Wii to the fullest.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amir0x said:
well sarcasm aside, it will be at the bottom again in the coming months without some other huge exclusive.

I do hope people listen to what I just quoted here a bit more.

PS3 had a very nice jump thanks to MGS4, but PS3 fans really shouldn't act cocky or get their hopes up. If you don't think there will be at least a couple months this year where 360 outsells PS3 again, you're going to be disappointed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HD-gen is THA SHIIIIIIIIT!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My comments from the Wii surpassing thread;

From the press release;

'..he system is credited with breaking down
DESTROYING
the psychological barriers
between gamers and non-gamers..'

Man, all this psychological barrier talk the past few days. :lol

And now we prepare for Microsoft's statement about how the 360 and Wii are not directly competing.

Top Bottom