• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice Dept. Grants Immunity to Hillary Clinton's Staffer for Email Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiochus

The plot thickens

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...21e39e-e0a0-11e5-9c36-e1902f6b6571_story.html

The Justice Department has granted immunity to a former State Department staffer, who worked on Hillary Clinton’s private email server, as part of a criminal investigation into the possible mishandling of classified information, according to a senior law enforcement official.

The official said the FBI had secured the cooperation of Bryan Pagliano, who worked on Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign before setting up the server in her New York home in 2009.

As the FBI looks to wrap up its investigation in the coming months, agents are likely to want to interview Clinton and her senior aides about the decision to use a private server, how it was set up, and whether any of the participants knew they were sending classified information in emails, current and former officials said.

The inquiry comes against a political backdrop in which Clinton is the favorite to secure the Democratic nomination for the presidency.

So far, there is no indication that prosecutors have convened a grand jury in the email investigation to subpoena testimony or documents, which would require the participation of a U.S. attorney’s office.

Antiochus

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...es_mean_painful_legal_choices_for_doj_wh.html

A good overview of what's at stake for this scandal:

But the GOP is not leading the criminal investigation. The FBI is. The bureau is not partisan, and it is not on a witch hunt. Despite the obvious risks of investigating the presumptive Democratic nominee during a Democratic administration, its agents are sorting through mountains of evidence pointing to serious, deliberate crimes.

What are the key legal dangers facing Clinton and her aides? Here are just a few.

* Hillary Clinton deliberately set up a private email server for herself and her top State Department aides. She used it to store over 1,800 documents now deemed classified, some highly classified. The sheer bulk of the security violations is extraordinary. Intelligence professionals agree the server was almost certainly hacked by foreign agencies—probably by several.

* Secretary Clinton specifically instructed aides to send her classified materials on that insecure network. We know of at least one such instruction. We don’t know how many others were redacted by the State Department.

* Because her server was private, the State Department’s records did not include its contents when responding to Freedom of Information Act requests. The department wrongly told FOIA applicants that no such materials existed. Not only did the materials exist (on Clinton’s server), senior officials knew it and allowed false denials to be made.

* Some documents on the Clinton server contained the intelligence-gathering methods, the names of undercover agents, and real-time disclosures of top officials’ movements. Aside from the nuclear launch codes, these are the most closely guarded secrets in the U.S. government. That material is “classified at birth,” as Clinton, Mills, Abedin, and Sullivan certainly knew. To avoid any misunderstanding, they had all taken mandatory training in the proper treatment of sensitive and classified materials.

* Some of the classified materials on Clinton’s server originated in intelligence agencies outside the State Department and came into the department on a secure, classified network. They were marked as such. They could only be transferred to Clinton’s unsecured network by hand. Each occurrence was a felony. Since the server has now been recovered, the FBI and intelligence agencies know who sent those messages and who received them at the State Department.

* The Clinton Foundation and some private businesses were deeply involved in the State Department’s business. The lines were blurred between Hillary Clinton’s official role as secretary of state and her unofficial role at a major foundation, headed by her husband, that was showered with money from people and companies working with the State Department. At best, the arrangements were sleazy. At worst, they were criminal “pay to play.”

* Hillary’s closest aide, Huma Abedin, had blurred roles, too. While working at State, she was also employed by a private company whose clients did business with her department and the government.

1024x1024.jpg

Negligence for sure! And that's not a reason to avoid investigation.
And if you take a step back from the parties, its not looking good for her, which aide is going to fall on the sword and say that he/she fouled up and forget to tell Sec Clinton it was illegal?

Bernie should keep his campaign warm, because he may find himself in the hot seat.

It's been like 8 months since the fundamentals of this story have changed in any way. All we get is procedural updates and people go oh my god look at that!

Breads

Banned
* Some of the classified materials on Clinton’s server originated in intelligence agencies outside the State Department and came into the department on a secure, classified network. They were marked as such. They could only be transferred to Clinton’s unsecured network by hand. Each occurrence was a felony. Since the server has now been recovered, the FBI and intelligence agencies know who sent those messages and who received them at the State Department.

* The Clinton Foundation and some private businesses were deeply involved in the State Department’s business. The lines were blurred between Hillary Clinton’s official role as secretary of state and her unofficial role at a major foundation, headed by her husband, that was showered with money from people and companies working with the State Department. At best, the arrangements were sleazy. At worst, they were criminal “pay to play.”

* Hillary’s closest aide, Huma Abedin, had blurred roles, too. While working at State, she was also employed by a private company whose clients did business with her department and the government.
That is... wow. I never really paid attention to the email scandal before but the fact that senior officials looked the other way as all of this shady shit went down is troubling. I definitely want to know more.

massoluk

Banned
People reading too much into it, like the original article said, the FBI is just trying to wrap this thing up. Everyone was cooperating except this dude who pleaded fifth the entire time.

Dishwalla

Banned
This was huge BREAKING NEWS(duh duh duh!) last night on Fox News. Which means it's a great big "meh" for everyone else.

Rembrandt

Banned
Still don't care. Politicians have done way, way worse with no repercussions. Not saying their actions excuse this, but it's like ehhhh.

Wake me up when they find deleted benghazi emails or warnings in her spam.

Joni

Intelligence professionals agree the server was almost certainly hacked by foreign agencies—probably by several.
So just as safe as on the actual server she should have used.

BouncyFrag

We are dealing with big national security issues here that can't be hand waved away by saying other officials have had private email accounts themselves and isn't a big deal or claming that this whole situation is being fueled by partisan politics.
Former CIA Director: Of course Clinton's emails were hacked by our enemies; 2-28-2016
“Do you think there is some real danger here in terms of a threat to national security?” asked Zakaria.

“If I were still at NSA, and someone told me that Sergei Lavrov or someone like that had a personal email account that was just his unclassified stuff, I’d have moved heaven and earth. Think of the insights that a foreign service would get even to unclassified information.

“I’m just saying, Secretary Clinton is a legitimate foreign intelligence target, and her personal government - but unclassified, just assuming that to be true - emails would be of great interest to a foreign intelligence service. I would lose respect for a whole bunch of intelligence services around the world if they weren’t thumbing through the pile now.”

Tesseract

Banned
Hillary just wants the presidency to pardon herself. I see through all your lies, you wicked devil!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhh

samn

What's missing is that the practice was common for previous SoS, both Rice and Powell had equivalent setups. Hell I believe they both used commercial private accounts.

Neither of them are running for president.

Phased

Like the Clinton/Vote Interference going on, at least on Reddit, this seems largely propelled into the spotlight by Sanders supporters who are grasping at straws when their candidate is behind by 200 delegates because pretty much the only way he gets the nomination at this point is if she's somehow charged with something.

The GOP/Fox News spent 8 years trying to get literally anybody to care about Benghazi, and nobody did. There has been no new news on this for a long time, it's dead in the water.

Let's be real, she's the wife of a former President, a former Senator and the former Secretary of State, if there was something there, she'd have been charged by now.

Does the justice department typically grant immunity to those suspected of crimes if they didn't expect to find any criminal behavior and/or actions?

kmag

Neither of them are running for president.

It's either a criminal act or it's not. Even in terms of poor judgment, it seemed to be par for the course at the State Department, so instead of being some nefarious move by evil mastermind Hillary Clinton, it's more than likely it was just the accepted practice there. Hell it may have been option which was offered by technical staff.

Wallach

* The sheer bulk of the security violations is extraordinary. Intelligence professionals agree the server was almost certainly hacked by foreign agencies—probably by several.

* Secretary Clinton specifically instructed aides to send her classified materials on that insecure network. We know of at least one such instruction. We don’t know how many others were redacted by the State Department.

* Because her server was private, the State Department’s records did not include its contents when responding to Freedom of Information Act requests. The department wrongly told FOIA applicants that no such materials existed. Not only did the materials exist (on Clinton’s server), senior officials knew it and allowed false denials to be made.

* Some documents on the Clinton server contained the intelligence-gathering methods, the names of undercover agents, and real-time disclosures of top officials’ movements. Aside from the nuclear launch codes, these are the most closely guarded secrets in the U.S. government. That material is “classified at birth,” as Clinton, Mills, Abedin, and Sullivan certainly knew. To avoid any misunderstanding, they had all taken mandatory training in the proper treatment of sensitive and classified materials.

Where is the evidence for, like... any of the above? It sounds like an episode of "Tales From My Ass".

If that OP summary were true, how the fuck would she not already be on trial, and anyone remotely supporting her campaign tell her this is a no go, it's only a matter of time until this REALLY blows up in your face?

There is proof or there isn't.

robochimp

Does the justice department typically grant immunity to those suspected of crimes if they didn't expect to find any criminal behavior and/or actions?

It's what any lawyer representing a client participating in an investigation would ask for in return for cooperation.

Polari

Bernie bros eagerly perpetuating rightwing hit jobs on Hillary is unsurprising but still sad to witness.

I think that every day Bernie remains in the race he does real damage to the party and the country because of shit like this.

I'm sick of people being apologists for this shit. I work in government, EVERYONE knows you can't do this. If I sent my work to my home address, I'd be fired on the spot and it's not even highly classified, just sensitive.

It doesn't matter if you're a "Bernie bro" or a Hillary supporter. This is at worst a felony, at best the sort of conduct that should disqualify you from having any further involvement with matters of national security.

If you think otherwise (or at least pretend to) I don't even know what to say to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom