• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
whatddya mean? will the bonus tracks be on CD as well?
iTunes gets like 4 bonus tracks more than the regular album. From OP:

14. See Me Now ft. Beyonce & Charlie Wilson [Bonus]
15. Chain Heavy ft. M.I.A [Exclusive iTunes]
16. Momma’s Boyfriend [Exclusive iTunes]
17. Power (Remix) ft. Jay-Z & Swizz Beatz [Exclusive iTunes]
18. Pure f. Mr Hudson [Exclusive iTunes]

..so can we debunk this as BS or what now? :lol
All we need is Pure and Momma's Boyfriend, and we have all we need as far as bonus tracks go.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ATF487 said:
It's not really surprising though, is it? Most of the revered, classic hip hop records are debuts.
Nope, it's part of the reason why we all here hold TCD/LR in high regard, but when nostalgia gets in the way of you appreciating anything 'new,' I think that's a problem. It's like when people call themselves "true hip-hop fans" and then go on to say everything hip hop after 36 chambers is crap. Makes no sense to me, but I know people like that.

enzo_gt said:
Nope, it's part of the reason why we all here hold TCD/LR in high regard, but when nostalgia gets in the way of you appreciating anything 'new,' I think that's a problem. It's like when people call themselves "true hip-hop fans" and then go on to say everything hip hop after 36 chambers is crap. Makes no sense to me, but I know people like that.
it's not nostalgia in this case. I can pop College Dropout in *right now* and enjoy the superior lyricism.
it still feel fresh, even after all this time.

And to this day, I can cut on "Addiction" or "Crack Music" and get a chill.

those albums have so far proven timeless. there are only so many timeless albums...it just so happens that CD and LR are two of them. Their style, feel and quality put them amongst the best ever. I think this album will prove to be among them after the buzz dies down and we can take off the rose-colored glasses. but there's a reason why CD and LR are so highly regarded.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
it's not nostalgia in this case. I can pop College Dropout in *right now* and enjoy the superior lyricism.
it still feel fresh, even after all this time.

And to this day, I can cut on "Addiction" or "Crack Music" and get a chill.

those albums have so far proven timeless. there are only so many timeless albums...it just so happens that CD and LR are two of them. Their style, feel and quality put them amongst the best ever. I think this album will prove to be among them after the buzz dies down and we can take off the rose-colored glasses. but there's a reason why CD and LR are so highly regarded.
Agreed 100%, the quality at the end of the day what makes them better, but a part, whether small or not, of the reason why we hold them in high regard is nostalgia. I keep an open mind with things, but say an album of near equal quality to said classic comes out, you'll hesitate to call it better and will give the old album the edge because it has solidified itself in your mind as something to always hold in higher regard.

hmmmm

LR>CD>MBDTF>>>>>>Graduation

never listened to "that other album that shall not be named"

Kanye is really turning out to be a damn consistent hip hop artist, something that's kinda rare. Ghostface and MF DOOM are easily the most consistent imo, and Kanye is really impressing me right now.

PBY

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
hmmmm

Kanye is really turning out to be a damn consistent hip hop artist, something that's kinda rare. Ghostface and MF DOOM are easily the most consistent imo, and Kanye is really impressing me right now.
Ghostface's latest album SUCKED, as did DOOMs

PBY

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
I'd say MBDTF is easily better than LR/CD.
Definitely not easily, but I think its better- I really like the approach he took to it, every song is huge

Grzi

Net_Wrecker said:
Nas is still relevant when he's dropping music.

No he isn't. Sorry, I love Nas, but he isn't really relevant.
Imagine if he never dropped Illmatic, and all of his other albums were the same as they are now, he would be considered average at best.
Now imagine if Kanye never dropped College Dropout, but the other albums remained, Late registration bing the first in that case. I think he would still get the same amount of succes and recognition.
I'm not saying Kanye is a better rapper than Nas, but is he the more relevant musician in the past 10 years? Hell yes.

Acid08

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
hmmmm

Fishscale and Vaudeville Villain <3

Get'sMad

I dig this album a lot...my one, and original, complaint still is that he could really trim 3/4 of the tracks a few minutes.

thekad said:
PD, don't hurt yourself jumping on that bandwagon.

I was wrong: I thought the album was gonna be average and overproduced. It's very good. I admit when I'm wrong son

I can't hate on this. Had a blast hating on Recovery but at the same time I was sad since I had high hopes for the album.

Ashhong

PhoenixDark said:
hmmmm

You NEVER listened to 808s at all? At least give it a shot...unless you already absolutely hate his singles.

Chain Heavy is great. Talib fucking murders it, ridiculous

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like how you get the feeling that he put a lot of effort in each song. None of the songs in the album come off as "well, he definitely phoned in this one". Even if the price to pay is that sometimes a song can sound overproduced (and honestly the only one I get that impression from is in All of the Lights and I still love that song), I don't really give a fuck.

btw blasting Dark Fantasy while driving is awesome, it feels like I'm indeed driving around in a Diablo.

This is still the only skit I can keep listening to and not mind. It goes with the tone of the song so well. His albums are literally impossible for me to rate though, they all have their ups and downs.

Song Order

Lost in the World
Runaway
All of the Lights
Power
Monster
Dark Fantasy
Devil in a New Dress
Hell of a Life
Blame Game
So Appalled
Gorgeous

Even the ones at the bottom are incredible in their own way though... Damn this is the most consistent album I've heard all year.

DeathbyVolcano said:
I'd say MBDTF is easily better than LR/CD.
No way José. There's pretty much nothing I would change with TCD and LR (except the skits) but there's something wrong with nearly every track on MBDTF. This is his 3rd best album imo.

DominoKid

im curious as to why so many of you have Gorgeous at the bottom of your lists

i think that song has the best Kanye verses since Late Registration.w

Swag

DominoKid said:

People probably don't like the distortion

Nailed it^^^

And it's not like I actually dislike it, I just think it isn't as awesome as the others...

As for albums:

Graduation > MBDTF > LR > CD > 808s

Although some of my favorite Ye songs come from LR. I just have a huge nostalgia kick with Graduation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
So I'm guessing this Chain Heavy isn't the same as the one that's on the album is it?
And why wouldn't it be?

Though really, consistency is a high point of this album. And if your gonna hate on any track, its going to be Runaway.

AvidNobody said:
Nailed it^^^

And it's not like I actually dislike it, I just think it isn't as awesome as the others...

As for albums:

Graduation > MBDTF > LR > CD > 808s

Although some of my favorite Ye songs come from LR. I just have a huge nostalgia kick with Graduation.
Did you hear Graduation before the rest?

So I really like this album. Don't let my criticism think that I hate it. Its just that...I see a lot of things I dislike in recent Kanye in it.

I'm not even gunna comment on the "mentality" thing. Thats just bs imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
This one has Talib and Consequence, the Itunes listed one has M.I.A?
iTunes list has to be wrong then, why would there be two different versions of the track. Plus the source for the bonus songs wasn't iTunes iirc, it was either Amazon or some random forum post, no?

Pinko Marx said:
So I really like this album. Don't let my criticism think that I hate it. Its just that...I see a lot of things I dislike in recent Kanye in it.

I'm not even gunna comment on the "mentality" thing. Thats just bs imo.
Yeah, at this point we're just criticizing the small details and nitpicking, since (most of us) have already expressed how much we love this album, in the 2700 posts in the last thread. :lol

I've listened to this thing four times in a row. GODDAMN SO GOOD

That, Cee Lo's new album, and the J. Cole mixtape = awesome week for black music *bows*

ATF487

DominoKid said:

Such a lame beat, though. Just a little mindless guitar riff

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ross says, "Had cyphers with Yeezy before his mouth wired."

Amount of merit to this? Ross busted onto the scene like half a decade after this.

PBY

Banned
Discotheque said:
WTF, the beat is good. It reminds me of some Wu-Tang shit.
really?
I like the song, but the fact that it has chef on it doesn't make it a wu-tang style beat

Yeah, it is a bit too simple. But it could easily fit on an old school album. I think people are just so jaded by the bombastic beats like All of the Lights....or maybe they just think it's shitty I don't know. :lol

see5harp

ATF487 said:
Such a lame beat, though. Just a little mindless guitar riff

Seriously it's weak. Raekwon ALMOST saves that song. As much as I love this album, as I've said before, Jon Brion would have turned this into a modern classic.

ATF487

Discotheque said:
WTF, the beat is good. It reminds me of some Wu-Tang shit.

Nah I think the Dark Fantasy verse beat is a good Wu-Tang type beat, this is sort of some pop-rap type thing

I still like the song (especially Raekwon at the end), it's just my least favorite

Yeah maybe it's Raekwon's inclusion that's clouding my judgement.

Dark Fantasy is so grimy. Easily one of the best songs on the album.

pakkit

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
hmmmm

Basically. MBDTF is a little too masturbatory, but I should've expected that. Kanye has definitely grown as a beat maker, but they still can't hold 6 minute guest-fests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom