• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Why does Kanye have to be so GOOD? Dude is a major prick... makes me wish he would flame out and fail in spectacular fashion.

We like are talented citizens humble, dammit.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
GDJustin said:
Why does Kanye have to be so GOOD? Dude is a major prick... makes me wish he would flame out and fail in spectacular fashion.

"Hard to be humble when you stuntin' on the jumbotron."

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
wenis said:
"Hard to be humble when you stuntin' on the jumbotron."
:lol

Point taken.

I'm just so torn with Kanye. I literally hate the dude & his personality, but love his music. But sometimes, the love/hate crosses over and just confuses me. :lol Like, he'll say something awful in an interview and it makes me dislike his music. Or I'll hear a great track and it'll make me say "well maybe his tweets aren't so bad"

Bowser

GDJustin said:

kanye_shrug.png

wenis

GDJustin said:
:lol

Point taken.

I'm just so torn with Kanye. I literally hate the dude & his personality, but love his music. But sometimes, the love/hate crosses over and just confuses me. :lol Like, he'll say something awful in an interview and it makes me dislike his music. Or I'll hear a great track and it'll make me say "well maybe his tweets aren't so bad"

The way I see it is that the dude makes this incredible music that people the world over enjoy, but with this level of creativity comes some type of psychosis or irrational behavior. Maybe he's always been like this, but he didn't "blow up" enough for anyone to take notice, but after the Swift incident everyone is expecting him to do the same. Maybe he's finally giving up on trying to be normal and just going with it. I for one think his personality is great, not many pop stars have the balls or the fortitude to do what he does and say "fuck it, this is how I feel. Hope you enjoy my music". Everyone worries about their image so much that it comes off as fake, manufactured and boring. Kanye is just saying what he believes and thinks, after being chased away from the spotlight like frankensteins monster. Almost like he's realized he has nothing to lose at this point and the only two logical conclusions is that he either rides this shit until he becomes beloved 20 years down the line for doing his own thing or becomes infamous after his career just burns up.

Acid08

Banned
GDJustin said:

Eh, a lot of the greatest artists are eccentric as fuck.

Not to mention it's just a fucking brand. Kanye is one of the best branding examples in modern entertainment. Maybe THE best, because of his negative perception: people hate him so much and yet they STILL buy his shit.

Ashhong

wenis said:
The way I see it is that the dude makes this incredible music that people the world over enjoy, but with this level of creativity comes some type of psychosis or irrational behavior. Maybe he's always been like this, but he didn't "blow up" enough for anyone to take notice, but after the Swift incident everyone is expecting him to do the same. Maybe he's finally giving up on trying to be normal and just going with it. I for one think his personality is great, not many pop stars have the balls or the fortitude to do what he does and say "fuck it, this is how I feel. Hope you enjoy my music". Everyone worries about their image so much that it comes off as fake, manufactured and boring. Kanye is just saying what he believes and thinks, after being chased away from the spotlight like frankensteins monster. Almost like he's realized he has nothing to lose at this point and the only two logical conclusions is that he either rides this shit until he becomes beloved 20 years down the line for doing his own thing or becomes infamous after his career just burns up.

Exactly. I much prefer his brutal honesty, even if it makes me feel sorry for him at times.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Discotheque said:
Yeah, it is a bit too simple. But it could easily fit on an old school album. I think people are just so jaded by the bombastic beats like All of the Lights....or maybe they just think it's shitty I don't know. :lol
:lol :lol :lol @ this thread. Beats too simple, beats too complex, beat is horrible!

enzo_gt said:
:lol :lol :lol @ this thread. Beats too simple, beats too complex, beat is horrible!
after riding out to All of The Lights the last few nights, I appreciate it for what it is to me: a club song. the most natural club song on the album. I still think it's over-produced...but there isn't a song I'd rather have playing with the windows down than AoTL.

All the other songs are perfect in terms of production.

edit: I didn't realize that was Alicia Keys and Elton John at the end of AoTL. pretty cool.

Rpgmonkey

After listening to it a few times, I don't like it as much as LR or CD, but it is better than 80s and Graduation.

Though I enjoyed Graduation and even found a few tracks on 808s to be pretty nice, so that makes this a pretty damn good album.

Plus it had the first Jay-Z verses that I've really liked in quite a while, so it gets points for that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
all great artists were/are eccentric as fuck, so really who gives a shit?

Pinko Marx said:
I'm gunna have to echo some of the other posters in this thread, Kanye went too far out on this record, too features, too many unnecessary bells and whistles on songs. This record probably exemplifies what I feel is wrong with Kanye and why I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. It seems like Kanye is just getting more and more eccentric with each album he puts out. Its like hes become too caught up in the persona that he created in the media, the big hot-shot genius producer. Its like hes trying to 1-up whatever came before each new album. Down to Earth Kanye (Dropout, LR) was best Kanye, when dude was just trying to make some damn good Hip-Hop. But now its like every album has to be some huge, monumental, genre-smashing, landmark moment or its not a Kanye record. AOTL is the perfect example for this, the song would have been JUST FINE with only Rhianna, but no, he went and added Fergie, Cudi, and Elton John into the song, when they add absolutely nothing. It just seems like he did it so he could say "Yeah, I got Fergie, Cudi, Rhianna, AND Elton John on a song. I did it because I'm Kanye and I can do stuff like that". Conway definitely needs some sort of reality check.
That's what I've been saying, he OD with this album, he needed someone who wasn't a "Yes" man around him. Conway West needed someone like Quincy Jones to EP this album, and tell him "No" you can't do that Conway, that's retarded.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Error said:
all great artists were/are eccentric as fuck, so really who gives a shit?
Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it.

Ye will be remembered as a great, I don't know how people can argue that whether they like him or not, he's left his mark, and only 5 albums deep is still constantly amazing fans.

All that's left to see is the numbers this album does. GAFs gotta do it's part and help MBDTF do at LEAST 500 000 first week. This deserves a milli in a week but I'm hesitant to say it will, considering Em only did 750 000.

Coins

Banned
I dont understand. I dont even like hiphop but I cant stop listening to this album.

Hell of a Life is so fucking badass.

Dartastic said:
I'm only buying the Vinyl version, so I won't get to do my part first week. Ah well.

is this confirmed? i know Graduation had no vinyl release because of the art.. i fear this may have a similar fate.

The M.O.B

enzo_gt said:
Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it.

Ye will be remembered as a great, I don't know how people can argue that whether they like him or not, he's left his mark, and only 5 albums deep is still constantly amazing fans.

All that's left to see is the numbers this album does. GAFs gotta do it's part and help MBDTF do at LEAST 500 000 first week. This deserves a milli in a week but I'm hesitant to say it will, considering Em only did 750 000.

Yah, Em had a top 10 record "Not Afraid" out too and still couldn't sniff a milli.

I wanna enter into a Swift vs West album sales comparison but it wouldn't be so nice to hear.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
Yah, Em had a top 10 record "Not Afraid" out too and still couldn't sniff a milli.

I wanna enter into a Swift vs West album sales comparison but it wouldn't be so nice to hear.
Swift did an incredible amount in her first week. Which is amazing to hear. The sad thing is, the inevitable GAF thread "Kanye doesn't sell as much as Swift," will arise and will be full of tons of Kanye hate. Some rational, most irrational. =/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
antipode said:
Is there going to be a release of this album that includes some of the G.O.O.D Friday stuff like "Don't Stop"?
Nope, but I hope your aware you can download it all for free at www.kanyewest.com . I'm sure when it ends in December there will be a compilation torrent of it all.

Also, just saw the Kanye bit on Conan, its cold but hillarious :lol

Ashhong

ShinobiFist said:
That's what I've been saying, he OD with this album, he needed someone who wasn't a "Yes" man around him. Conway West needed someone like Quincy Jones to EP this album, and tell him "No" you can't do that Conway, that's retarded.

This Conway bullshit is fucking annoying.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
About all the features, I also thought the album could've done with a lot less features. After listening more... With the exception of So Appalled, my top songs from the album have either 1 or no features (and one of those songs I prefer the feature be left out). The rest are...meh. Well, I forgot Gorgeous has Cudi and Rae, but yeah.

after GOOD Fridays are done, it would be amazing if he just released all the GOOD Fridays on CD mastered, like some 2-3 disc compilation

I just wanna know what Conway was thinking at the end of Runaway. I would give my left nut to have been a fly on the wall in that studio.

Kanye: Hey engineer. Remember that distortion effect I just discovered a bit ago? Yeah, turn that on, I'm just gunna breath and mumble into the mic to finish this song. ITS GUNNA BE SO DOPE!

*10 minutes later*

Engineer: Awesome Kanye! Thats another hit record!

Kanye:
Xh9cHl.jpg

Oozer3993

Complete production credits:

http://freetexthost.com/3tyhqgtofx

Interesting tidbits:

* Justin Vernon of Bon Iver also lends backing vocals to Dark Fantasy, as does Kanye's ex Amber Rose
* Drake is credited with backing vocals on All of the Lights
* The-Dream, in addition to his backing vocals on All of the Lights, also lends his voice to Runaway and Hell of a Life

YoungHav

Banned
Kanye's talent as a rapper is nowhere near as good as his talent as a producer. He's an A level producer and C grade rapper.

Late Registration >>>>>>>> this.

anyone have a link to this "conway" meme?

RJT

Oozer3993 said:
Complete production credits:

http://freetexthost.com/3tyhqgtofx

Interesting tidbits:

* Justin Vernon of Bon Iver also lends backing vocals to Dark Fantasy, as does Kanye's ex Amber Rose
* Drake is credited with backing vocals on All of the Lights
* The-Dream, in addition to his backing vocals on All of the Lights, also lends his voice to Runaway and Hell of a Life
I love to read the credits on hip hop albums.

The song which is sampled on Dark Fantasy: Mike Oldfield - In High Places

And Blame Game: Aphex Twin - Avril 14th (around 1m:40s)

wenis

Wow so no wonder the quality of the album is amazing...samples from Crimson and Sabbath ;) Kanye has a good ear.

Swag

Lost in the World
Additional Vocals: Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), Charlie Wilson, Kay Fox, Tony Williams, Alicia Keys, Elly Jackson (La Roux)

Can't even find a lot of these voices :lol

ampere

Sebulon3k said:
There's like, a harmony going on for a good bit, probably a few in that.

I'm loving the album but I still like Late Registration more.

Happy it's so good though. Tempted by those iTunes bonus tracks... maybe I'll look for them on youtube first.

nib95

Banned
I've had the album on repeat since I got it. Great album. Topped Eminmem's for me. Which imo still has tracks that are lyrically better, but overall is not as consistent, well produced or fun.

Oozer3993

Sebulon3k said:

When Kanye is singing "run from the lights, run from the night, run for your life," Alicia and Elly Jackson are doing the backing vocals, Alicia in the left channel, Elly in the right. Charlie Wilson and Tony Williams are in the background of the chorus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom