• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Sebulon3k said:
So would you guys say MBDTF > Graduation?

I'm a big graduation lover, but liking MBDTF just as much. Will have to hear the extra tracks before I decide though
Yes. Easily.

nib95

Banned
Ok, great album. Good listening. However, I do feel it's too short/has too few tracks. Otherwise, worth the wait.

nib95 said:
Ok, great album. Good listening. However, I do feel it's too short/has too few tracks. Otherwise, worth the wait.
the more you listen, the more it will feel "just right". the long tracks and all take some getting used to. but once you do, you'll really love it.

let us know what you think when your play counts are around 15 for each song. :D

Swag

Wonder if Kanye is having people phone in versus for todays G.O.O.D Friday, same deal as last week with no info

nib95 said:
I only heard the version he released for Good Friday before. This versions production wise is totally different, especially the last half which doesn't have that weird cut and random outburst of rap from Kanye. It's a lot more harmonious and consistent now.

In-fact, a lot of the tracks are tweaked. Listening to Runaway now, and the end of this track is different too, also has different added synths and additions not present in the original Good Friday version.

But again, really loving the album so far. The pacing is brilliant, feels like a musical journey. Still not too keen on Devil in a Dress, but it's a little less monotonous this time. Good beat, just not diverse enough imo. But I wouldn't call it 'bad', just not up to the rest of the albums standard.

EDIT: Hell of a Life is a bit tweaked too, different affect added to the chorus? Actual lyrical content sounds the same mind. Anyway, love this track.
Oh that was a remix featuring Jay-Z. The normal version of Power is basically the same.

yencid

33y3nrr.png

:D

LCfiner

I just played Monster for the first time on my Home Theatre speaker setup with sub.

My God. The Bass. they’re gonna kick me out of this building. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
http://cdn.2dopeboyz.com/m.php/2010/11/20101113-CHAIN.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?5rn71v4bj90chjz"]Kanye West - Chain Heavy Ft. Talib Kweli & Consequence (Prod. Q-Tip)[/URL]

...Don't worry, it's kosher.[/QUOTE]
Kanye has heard our complaints about hard copy owners not having bonus tracks :D

His original acapella flows over the beat pretty well, though to be honest with a title like Chain Heavy, I expected a more gangster-type of a beat, not that this beat is bad or anything. It's pretty good.

Bowser

enzo_gt said:
Kanye has heard our complaints about hard copy owners not having bonus tracks :D

His original acapella flows over the beat pretty well, though to be honest with a title like Chain Heavy, I expected a more gangster-type of a beat, not that this beat is bad or anything. It's pretty good.

I was thinking exactly this. I like the beat, it has a nice old school feel, but I was definitely expected more of a bass-heavy, So Appalled/Take One For The Team/Looking For Trouble type beat.

I'm gunna have to echo some of the other posters in this thread, Kanye went too far out on this record, too features, too many unnecessary bells and whistles on songs. This record probably exemplifies what I feel is wrong with Kanye and why I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. It seems like Kanye is just getting more and more eccentric with each album he puts out. Its like hes become too caught up in the persona that he created in the media, the big hot-shot genius producer. Its like hes trying to 1-up whatever came before each new album. Down to Earth Kanye (Dropout, LR) was best Kanye, when dude was just trying to make some damn good Hip-Hop. But now its like every album has to be some huge, monumental, genre-smashing, landmark moment or its not a Kanye record. AOTL is the perfect example for this, the song would have been JUST FINE with only Rhianna, but no, he went and added Fergie, Cudi, and Elton John into the song, when they add absolutely nothing. It just seems like he did it so he could say "Yeah, I got Fergie, Cudi, Rhianna, AND Elton John on a song. I did it because I'm Kanye and I can do stuff like that". Conway definitely needs some sort of reality check.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh, and I wanted to say these are my definitive top 5 songs from the album

1. Gorgeous - I'm a sucker for lyricism, and this is Kanye's best lyrical effort on the album, it's fantastic. Cudi's hook was solid, and Raekwon at the end was a treat. The production wasn't bad, either. It was great enough for me to ignore the distortion.

2. So Appalled - Best production on the album by far, and a well rounded bout of verses, none that were omgfuckingridiculous but as a collaboration it worked very well between the four people. Hook was nice. This is a song where I can overlook subject matter.

3. Blame Game - Okay, once I cut off the end, I loved this, second best production and great verses by Kanye. Heavily reminded me of CD-era Kanye, which was arguably his best.

4. Dark Fantasy - Incredible production, best hook on the album, and a good intro. Once I cut off the first 23 seconds the song was a great opening

5. Devil In A New Dress - Great production, great verses, great switch up at the end. If this didn't have Ross, it might be higher.

HiResDes

....:lol at the album backlash, as if every single sung is like that...I can name three that feel overproduced - All of the Lights, Lost in the World (it's growing on me though), and maybe Monster. He is a good enough producer to incorporate different genres and a bunch of different artists. Kno's album bores me after a while. I don't see myself getting bored with Kanye's album ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pinko Marx said:
I'm gunna have to echo some of the other posters in this thread, Kanye went too far out on this record, too features, too many unnecessary bells and whistles on songs. This record probably exemplifies what I feel is wrong with Kanye and why I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. It seems like Kanye is just getting more and more eccentric with each album he puts out. Its like hes become too caught up in the persona that he created in the media, the big hot-shot genius producer. Its like hes trying to 1-up whatever came before each new album. Down to Earth Kanye (Dropout, LR) was best Kanye, when dude was just trying to make some damn good Hip-Hop. But now its like every album has to be some huge, monumental, genre-smashing, landmark moment or its not a Kanye record. AOTL is the perfect example for this, the song would have been JUST FINE with only Rhianna, but no, he went and added Fergie, Cudi, and Elton John into the song, when they add absolutely nothing. It just seems like he did it so he could say "Yeah, I got Fergie, Cudi, Rhianna, AND Elton John on a song. I did it because I'm Kanye and I can do stuff like that". Conway definitely needs some sort of reality check.
This is the most rational explanation I think for why people have the problems with overproduction, but I still don't see it be, and I think it all boils down to a lot more of "we want college dropout & late registration beats!" If that was the case, the album would end up sounding too dated or not 'fresh' and you guys would complain regardless.

Though I disagree with the bolded. I disliked CuDi at first but now love that part. And you can't seriously be hating on the Elton John part. Shit's awesome.

HiResDes said:
....:lol at the album backlash, as if every single sung is like that...I can name three that feel overproduced - All of the Lights, Lost in the World (it's growing on me though), and maybe Monster. He is a good enough producer to incorporate different genres and a bunch of different artists. Kno's album bores me after a while. I don't see myself getting bored with Kanye's album ever.

Dark Fantasy - Would have been just fine with the "Can we get much higher" sample, but he felt the need to add some unknown vocalist to it, it messes up an otherwise perfect song.

And just because he is good enough doesn't me he ought to. You honestly can't tell me that AOTL is a better song because of Cudi and Elton John's...Verses? I dun even know what to call it. Elton John just screams and Cudi is being lame ass Cudi.

Pinko Marx said:

Dawgs, I agree completely. I couldn't put it into words, but I think this is my problem. The album is just too much IMO, in almost every category. At least 10 minutes, and 5 guest spots could've been cut to make it a more streamlined project.

HiResDes said:

And you did NOT just speak ill of Death Is Silent.

I will have your head for that. :p

HiResDes

You know what maybe I haven't noticed because I've had Blame Game and Devil in a New Dress on a repeat for a while now. Also, I think Dark Fantasy really gains a lot by having that singer on it.

This what happens to every new album from an artist that has a classic in their discography. Fans always them to make another album like their early ones. For example, Em tried to recreate his slim shady shit with relapse and people said he needed to grow up. He did with Recovery and now people want his old shit.

Jay-Z said it best, if you want " Hov on that new shit n-ggas like how come N-ggas want my old sh-t, buy my old album"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bowser said:
Man I think Chain Heavy would have been sick over the Take One For The Team beat.
I love the rawness of that beat, its unmastered, unrefined and pure unfiltered bass. Chain Heavy is still a great song, I think it works, but the chorus/hook is a bit ehh on repeated listens.

Pinko Marx said:
Dark Fantasy - Would have been just fine with the "Can we get much higher" sample, but he felt the need to add some unknown vocalist to it, it messes up an otherwise perfect song.

And just because he is good enough doesn't me he ought to. You honestly can't tell me that AOTL is a better song because of Cudi and Elton John's...Verses? I dun even know what to call it. Elton John just screams and Cudi is being lame ass Cudi.
I'm telling you right now, its better because of CuDi and especially Elton John's additions. And CuDi isn't really "being CuDi" whatever that means, cause he's never sounded like that ever before, really.

HiResDes

Honestly, and all of you must admit this if you've been following hip-hop at all...Kanye had to evolve and find a somewhat new space because there are about a hundred of upcoming backpack rappers that are all on some College Dropout shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
Honestly, and all of you must admit this if you've been following hip-hop at all...Kanye had to evolve and find a somewhat new space because there are about a hundred of upcoming backpack rappers that are all on some College Dropout shit.
I still don't know what backpack rapper means. Is that just Kanye's old style? If so, then I would agree somewhat. I wouldn't say he HAD to find a new space to evolve. Look at Nas, he's still doing his thing, and I don't see drastic evolution in Nas' career. It's like being the best at what you do, and Nas is the best at the rhymes he does.

I think it's people's mindstate that Kanye HAD to be cemented in his TCD/LR ways for him to be forever successful. I think that's just ignorant, since Kanye has always been about doing something different and experimentation. Just because the experimentation lead to College Dropout sounding stuff when he did Late Registration, and the fact that those two are more similar than any of his other albums, people always want to classify THAT as classic Kanye, and any deviations of such are just his ego getting out of hand. And I certainly think that's not the case.

If Kanye was grounded and down to earth in TCD and LR, I don't think he would've named this album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy if Kanye was trying to tell us he's been grounded for this period in his life. It conveys itself effortlessly through the themes on the album.

Knux-Future said:
This what happens to every new album from an artist that has a classic in their discography. Fans always them to make another album like their early ones. For example, Em tried to recreate his slim shady shit with relapse and people said he needed to grow up. He did with Recovery and now people want his old shit.

Jay-Z said it best, if you want " Hov on that new shit n-ggas like how come N-ggas want my old sh-t, buy my old album"
QFT. This mentality plagues hip-hop fans.

HiResDes

Nas is my favorite rapper of all time...But how many people do you hear talking about Nas, even just a few months after he dropped Hip-Hop is Dead. As much as it hurts me to say, how relevant is he really right now.

Sorry, but hip hop is dead was pretty forgettable. Illmatic will continue to be his finest work. it's in my top 5 for sure. Stillmatic is the only other stuff I like from him

HiResDes said:
Nas is my favorite rapper of all time...But how many people do you hear talking about Nas, even just a few months after he dropped Hip-Hop is Dead. As much as it hurts me to say, how relevant is he really right now.

Nas doesn't stay in the media with off the wall comments, or actions like Kanye does so it's pretty obvious why he isn't as "relevant" as Kanye. 2 months from now, everyone will have moved on from this album as well, and forget about Kanye until he does something crazy, or preps another release. That's the way the 24 hour news cycle works.

Nas still gets tons of hype when he drops albums.

Kinda wonder why Nas isn't on the album, given how much love he gets from Kanye. I'll probably expose my inner Nas fanboyism, but I wonder if Jay-Z had anything to do with it.

It's true he has many disappointing albums, and Illmatic is still his best...but I can't help but root for the guy while still constantly being disappointed. For all his knowledge dropping and shit, dude is millions of dollars in debt. Literally every big producer wants to work with him yet he sticks to some of the most average, boring producers. I don't get it.

thekad

Banned
spermatic cord said:
Sorry, but hip hop is dead was pretty forgettable. Illmatic will continue to be his finest work. it's in my top 5 for sure. Stillmatic is the only other stuff I like from him

The Lost Tapes?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
Nas doesn't stay in the media with off the wall comments, or actions like Kanye does so it's pretty obvious why he isn't as "relevant" as Kanye. 2 months from now, everyone will have moved on from this album as well, and forget about Kanye until he does something crazy, or preps another release. That's the way the 24 hour news cycle works.

Nas still gets tons of hype when he drops albums.
This never happened from TCD ---> Taylor Swift incident. Unless Ye pulls another stunt like that, best believe he's gonna make sure he's still out there. As soon as G.O.O.D. Fridays end, he's going to be finishing Watch The Throne. Watch the Throne is done? Tour + work on next album.

And I loved Hip Hop Is Dead, I don't get the hate. Is it for the same reason, that it's way too far out there from Nas' Illmatic style?

And generally I don't care how relevant someone is if they're putting out good music. Hell, AZ's The Format is my most played song on iTunes (with All of the Lights closing in :lol ). Aside from Distant Relatives (which was great), have we forgotten how badly Nas bodied Victory? Don't let the name DJ Khaled steer you away, Nas absolutely incinerated that track.

But alas, it is true, the general public especially doesn't give a shit about Nas. Weezy is the truth to them. Not that I don't like Weezy, but there was a point when I finally discovered "the other half" of hip-hop I've been missing out on, and it's shaped my view of hip-hop and rap quite a bit. This is why we all shake our heads on pop-rap, or bullshit like Wacka Flocka Flames.

PheonixDark said:
Kinda wonder why Nas isn't on the album, given how much love he gets from Kanye. I'll probably expose my inner Nas fanboyism, but I wonder if Jay-Z had anything to do with it.

It's true he has many disappointing albums, and Illmatic is still his best...but I can't help but root for the guy while still constantly being disappointed. For all his knowledge dropping and shit, dude is millions of dollars in debt. Literally every big producer wants to work with him yet he sticks to some of the most average, boring producers. I don't get it.
Ye did tracks with Nas, no? They just probably didn't make the cut. Pretty sure they've all teased something special between Ye+Jay+Nas, that'll likely end up on Watch The Throne.

HiResDes

People are going to be talking about this album for years to come, rather it's a masterpiece of a dud. You're oh so very wrong.

Do you people seriously believe Kanye would be as white hot as he is all the time without the George Bush comments, the Taylor Swift incident, the Grammy incidents, etc. etc. etc.? People don't stay focused on one single album, or artist anymore ALL THE TIME without controversy. When Jay-Z, or Eminem, or Lupe, or whoever else is coming out, this will be forgotten the same way Recovery, and The Blueprint 3 have.

Nas is still relevant when he's dropping music.

HiResDes

Net_Wrecker said:
Do you people seriously believe Kanye would be as white hot as he is all the time without the George Bush comments, the Taylor Swift incident, the Grammy incidents, etc. etc. etc.? People don't stay focused on one single album, or artist anymore ALL THE TIME without controversy. When Jay-Z, or Eminem, or Lupe, or whoever else is coming out, this will be forgotten the same way Recovery, and The Blueprint 3 have.

Nas is still relevant when he's dropping music.
It's like you didn't read my post, I said whether the album is considered a complete dud or masterpiece it will be talked about...Kanye will most definitely get a Grammy nomination, just because of his exposure and the big name features on the project.

HiResDes said:
It's like you didn't read my post, I said whether the album is considered a complete dud or masterpiece it will be talked about...Kanye will most definitely get a Grammy nomination, just because of his exposure and the big name features on the project.

Was 808's not considered a dud by the majority of fans? Where's the talk about that? I think you give the attention span of the current era too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom