• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi - Man On the Moon II |OT| Thread of Driving Drunk, Doin Our Thang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

spindashing said:
I guess I was right in saying that MANIAC would be the next single. Shia LaBeouf actually directed one of Cage's music videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhth7toJ3ns&ob=av2n

enzo, enzo, enzo. Get on that Cage too. He's brilliant -- just stay away from his Depart from Me album, which is his most recent album. I can only stomach like 2 tracks out of that album, one being the song I linked.

Yeah, this track and nothing left to say are the only songs on depart from me I can really dig into.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This album is epic. I wish I could say more, but I can't. It just clicks.

spindashing said:
I guess I was right in saying that MANIAC would be the next single. Shia LaBeouf actually directed one of Cage's music videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhth7toJ3ns&ob=av2n

enzo, enzo, enzo. Get on that Cage too. He's brilliant -- just stay away from his Depart from Me album, which is his most recent album. I can only stomach like 2 tracks out of that album, one being the song I linked.

Music video is GANGBUSTAS.

Tokubetsu said:
My amazon order shipped today. Should have it on monday.

....what. That's not fair. Mine didn't ship and I'm ordering through amazon as well. Delivery estimate is on Tuesday, though.

Tokubetsu

spindashing said:
....what. That's not fair. Mine didn't ship and I'm ordering through amazon as well. Delivery estimate is on Tuesday, though.
Nvm, now it says I should have it on Tuesday. Did ship though.

EDIT: NVM it's in Opa Locka right now and unless it just sits there today, I should have it today. No weed but I'll post real real impressions.

Tokubetsu

whi27.jpg

If only I had some bud... Really great packaging though and it comes with this tiny booklet with the lyrics. Really nice, better than MoTM1s packaging. I would take pictures of the booklet, but there are naked white bitches on the back :lol

The M.O.B

Tokubetsu said:
whi27.jpg

If only I had some bud... Really great packaging though and it comes with this tiny booklet with the lyrics. Really nice, better than MoTM1s packaging. I would take pictures of the booklet, but there are naked white bitches on the back :lol

Dope :D

Here is the iTunes Bonus Track "Maybe"

Ashhong

Tokubetsu said:
http://imgur.com/whi27.jpg[IMG]

If only I had some bud... Really great packaging though and it comes with this tiny booklet with the lyrics. Really nice, better than MoTM1s packaging. I would take pictures of the booklet, but there are naked white bitches on the back :lol[/QUOTE]

naked white bitches made me LOL :lol

Oh yeahhhh. Just got my slice of the Cudder.

RXrbu.jpg

Album cover! Deluxe, as you can see.

1D6XI.jpg

Picture booklet! There's titties on the back!

6Nm9n.jpg

My Cuddernese translation book!

xgijr.jpg

The CD.

tumMe.jpg

Extra DVD, which I did not gaze at yet. :D

Still listening. I'm at Don't Play This Song. Will give my impressions when I am done. :lol

McNei1y

Solid Album. Doesn't top 1 for me, but still very solid.

Even though I've heard it countless times, Maniac is still my favorite with Mr. Rager.

Trapped in My Mind is a surprise favorite. So is Marijuana.

My impressions after listening until my ears bleed. I haven't even looked at the Extra CD. :lol

Act I: The World I Am Ruling:
1. Scott Mescudi vs. The World (feat. Cee-Lo) - An okay track. It's a nice track to start the album with. Very spacey, as well as lively. Cee-Lo's vocals on the hook is bad ass.
2. REVOFEV - We're all familiar with this track. I personally liked it when Cudi released it himself, but as a result ... I've overplayed it. The track is ... so simple, yet I love the production.

Act II: A Stronger Trip:
3. Don't Play This Song (feat. Mary J. Blige) - So far this is my FAVORITE track. Mary J's vocals blending with Cudi's. The production. The lyrics. God, Cudi addressed everything here. He mentioned HBO, too ... does that mean How To Make It In America dropped him? =(
4. We Aite - Ehhh, this is more of an interlude. I guess it does its job, but it's nothing special.
5. Marijuana - Wiz Khalifa vibes. I love it. I'm not even a bud smoker and I love it. :lol At him waiting for 4:20.
6. Mojo So Dope - Decent. I don't feel its spectacular or anything, but it's alright, I guess. Whatever the producer sampled at the start of the track goes so well with the track...

Act III: Party On:
7. Ashin' Kusher - I prefer Marijuana for the weed song. Chuck Inglish produced this? Nice.
8. Erase Me (feat. Kanyesus) - ...yeah, this is too poppy, but you know what, I've come to appreciate it more after listening to it over and over. Forget it, it's too poppy. :lol
9. Wild'N Cause I'm Young - First track that did not stand out to me as being anything. Maybe a few more listens can fix that, because I didn't feel it.
10. The Mood - So fucking eerie. Love it.

Act IV: The Transformation:
11. MANIAC (feat. Cage & St. Vincent) - My second favorite. I did not like hearing it when it was on Jimmy Kimmel, but for some reason it sounds better to be on the CD. Fucking dope.
12. Mr. Rager - Third favorite, if not tied with MANIAC. So catchy.
13. These Worries (Feat. Mary J. Blige) - I liked Don't Play This Song over this, but Mary J. does a good job at this. I was skeptical ... REAL skeptical with Mary J's involvement with Cudi's album -- but it ended up being good. Real good. I guess it's because she's Mary J and Cudi loves Marijuana. :lol
14. The End (feat. GLC, Nicole Wray and INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR) - Holy shit this has to be tied with MANIAC or something. I love it. Fucking lyrical. I'm not a big Chip THA RIP fan (aside from Hyyer in MOTM1), but he did REAAL nice on his verse.

Act V: You Live, You Learn:
15. All Along - Slow, peaceful song as Cudi looks at his life. A random change of pace for me, but I guess it's a good opening to Act V which is supposed to represent Cudi realizing his own problems after his transformation -- to me atleast.
16. GHOST! - Yes, fucking YES -- the CDQ version of this song is WAY better than the live recording I heard. I love this track and will be bumping this for awhile.
17. Trapped In My Mind - Great track too.

tl;dr: My favorite tracks are Don't Play This Song, MANIAC, Mr. Rager, The End, GHOST!, Trapped In My Mind, Marijuana.

Overall rating: 4/5. I may be biased as fuck, but I can at least say that I felt MOTM1 more. The whole atmosphere of MOTM1 was superior to MOTM2 in my eyes. It's weird -- I hated MOTM1 at first, and it took a few more listens for me to appreciate Cudi, and MOTM2 took only one listen for me to love it. I guess it's because I'm used to Cudi now.

Anyhow, I wanted Ratatat production, and I felt this album was missing that. It also lacks, as you guys already said, a hit in the vein Pursuit of Happiness on this. Lord knows Erase Me will get him some cash, though. The production is great -- no tracks felt "cheap" or overproduced. I also miss the Common speeches in between tracks which furthered the story for me.

On the back of the album, it does note that the Man on the Moon story is a trilogy, so I guess I can't wait 'till MOTM3.

Tokubetsu

My one real gripe with MOTM2, is that I wish the tracks were a bit more spacey. More tracks like Maniac,the mood, wylin. Synth heavy, airy tracks.

Drewsky

spindashing said:
The whole atmosphere of MOTM1 was superior to MOTM2 in my eyes.
Great review, but this is the only part I disagree with. I feel like MOTM2 has a way more consistent atmosphere, but it just doesn't have any really standout songs for me. Liked MOTM1 way better, if just for songs like Pursuit of Happiness, Alive, Soundtrack 2 My Life, and Cudi Zone.

Tokubetsu said:
My one real gripe with MOTM2, is that I wish the tracks were a bit more spacey. More tracks like Maniac,the mood, wylin. Synth heavy, airy tracks.
Yeah. I guess it wasn't like that because Cudi said this was more "real" rather than it being "dream-like" like MOTM1.

Shit, These Worries is raw too... When I hear Cudi sniff -- presumably "sniffing coke", I can't help but shudder.

I need to look up some St. Vincent stuff. I love her voice.

CRS

Got home after a shitty day of work and school to this. :D

Only have bad phone pictures. (Click the images for the original size.)

Vinyl and the CD Deluxe:

Didn't notice the painting behind Cudi is different until just now.

Will post the rest in a little bit.

Tokubetsu

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Got home after a shitty day of work and school to this. :D

Only have bad phone pictures. (Click the images for the original size.)

Vinyl and the CD Deluxe:

Didn't notice the painting behind Cudi is different until just now.

Will post the rest in a little bit.

Awesome. I should get MOTM1 on vinyl.

CRS

I'll probably buy MOTM1 when I get my next paycheck. I just want to say "Thank you Cudi" for the lyric booklet. This had so much Cuddernese. I was pretty off on Marijuana. :lol

Rest of the pics. (Like the first, click on the image for larger size.)

Linking to this one.
http://imgur.com/moiP5.jpg

Gonna smoke a bowl and continue to enjoy this awesome album.

Tokubetsu

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I'll probably buy MOTM1 when I get my next paycheck. I just want to say "Thank you Cudi" for the lyric booklet. This had so much Cuddernese. I was pretty off on Marijuana. :lol

Rest of the pics. (Like the first, click on the image for larger size.)

Linking to this one.
http://imgur.com/moiP5.jpg

Gonna smoke a bowl and continue to enjoy this awesome album.

I'm hoping MBDTF has a lyric booklet too, Really want to clear up a line in the Lost In The World chorus.

CRS

Tokubetsu said:
I'm hoping MBDTF has a lyric booklet too, Really want to clear up a line in the Lost In The World chorus.

More artists/bands in general need to include lyric booklets. I don't really see any reason for them not too.

Would the line happen to be the one between "I'm lost in the world." and "I'm new in the city."?

Holy shit, that vinyl is ridiculous. NICE. Makes my deluxe edition feel all worthless. I still have not finished that DVD extra. I'm halfway through. For those who have seen the videos to Soundtrack To My Life and/or Cudderisback, the videos are like that, directed by Goldwatch...

The regular edition is dope too. I preferred the Deluxe Edition art but the regular edition art is pretty good too.

And yes, that lyric booklet for the Cuddernese really comes in handy :lol Now I find MYSELF speaking in Cuddernese, fuck my life. :lol

CRS

spindashing said:
I still have not finished that DVD extra. I'm halfway through. For those who have seen the videos to Soundtrack To My Life and/or Cudderisback, the videos are like that, directed by Goldwatch...

Just finished watching it and that's some funny shit. There's some great GIF material in there as well.

"DJ-Kasloco. I don't DJ. I just hit a button. Oooh." My name is DJ-Kasloc, I'm the only DJ that travels the world and don't really DJ, HEY. Hey, I'm DJ-Kasloc, I get that dough. I don't have to DJ. Hell no." I was laughing for a good 15 minutes.
:lol :lol :lol

I do have a couple of questions that hopefully y'all can help me with.

Is it just me or are the tracks that play in the background at 5:20, 7:23, and 11:19 new music for the DVD or are they from somewhere already? and
What did Cudi try to do to the guy that rushed him on the stage during Mr. Rager? Punch him?

Also, I love the little sound effects that are added on We Aite and Trapped In My Mind. Thinking about ripping them and putting them onto the CD version.

spindashing said:
Now I find MYSELF speaking in Cuddernese, fuck my life. :lol
:lol

Tokubetsu

ChldRebelSoldr said:
More artists/bands in general need to include lyric booklets. I don't really see any reason for them not too.

Would the line happen to be the one between "I'm lost in the world." and "I'm new in the city."?

Yea haha. Does he say "I'm down a life" or "I'm down a line"?

CRS

Tokubetsu said:
Yea haha. Does he say "I'm down a life" or "I'm down a line"?

I hear it as "I'm down my whole life".

Mr. Wonderful said:
Wish this one came with a poster. Love it when CDs come with posters.

Totally agree. Would love to have a big poster of the album cover. It would have been the perfect addition to the vinyl.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Just finished watching it and that's some funny shit. There's some great GIF material in there as well.

"DJ-Kasloco. I don't DJ. I just hit a button. Oooh." My name is DJ-Kasloc, I'm the only DJ that travels the world and don't really DJ, HEY. Hey, I'm DJ-Kasloc, I get that dough. I don't have to DJ. Hell no." I was laughing for a good 15 minutes.
:lol :lol :lol

I do have a couple of questions that hopefully y'all can help me with.

Is it just me or are the tracks that play in the background at 5:20, 7:23, and 11:19 new music for the DVD or are they from somewhere already? and
What did Cudi try to do to the guy that rushed him on the stage during Mr. Rager? Punch him?

Also, I love the little sound effects that are added on We Aite and Trapped In My Mind. Thinking about ripping them and putting them onto the CD version.

I just got done with the DVD.
I think those tracks were new music for the DVD. They don't sound familiar to me either. And yes, Cudi was trying to punch the guy that rushed him on stage. There was a youtube video of that same event, and the fact that they used it on this video doctumentary makes me believe that the whole thing was staged. If it wasn't, it's a ... real good coincidence that Jason Goldwatch was there to get the whole thing on film. I also laughed at the DJ Kasloco bits.

CRS

spindashing said:
I just got done with the DVD.
I think those tracks were new music for the DVD. They don't sound familiar to me either. And yes, Cudi was trying to punch the guy that rushed him on stage. There was a youtube video of that same event, and the fact that they used it on this video doctumentary makes me believe that the whole thing was staged. If it wasn't, it's a ... real good coincidence that Jason Goldwatch was there to get the whole thing on film. I also laughed at the DJ Kasloco bits.

I really don't think it was staged though. The guy got pushed off the stage pretty bad and after watching the YouTube video of it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KCKWMnQrrM, he either got messed up pretty bad or they were either doing some great acting. Goldwatch was just there to film the whole show and that just happened to go down. Either way, Cudi doesn't take shit.

Also,
Kick donkeys much?

Tokubetsu said:
I'm waiting on some green before I watch the dvd. :lol
I was lit and it was great so I think you're in for a real treat. :lol

I really, really want to see him live after watching the dvd. After Gorillaz and Lupe (saw Gorillaz a couple of weeks ago though so just Lupe now), he's at the top of my "Who I need to see live before I die" list.

Album was kinda shite, but God damn at Maniac. Love the female vox on that beat. And the sloppy style line delivery from Cudi and Cage works so well on this.

Well, first week album sales are in and ...

176,298 first week! Which is better than MOTM1 which sold ~104,000 first week. Good job, Cudi, and I'm glad to have contributed -- just take it easy on the Cuddernese okay...? :lol

kid-cudi-dance-o.gif

Also, Cudi will be featured on T.I's upcoming album entitled "No Mercy" on a track called Welcome to the World -- which will also feature Kanye West.

Drewsky said:
Great review, but this is the only part I disagree with. I feel like MOTM2 has a way more consistent atmosphere, but it just doesn't have any really standout songs for me. Liked MOTM1 way better, if just for songs like Pursuit of Happiness, Alive, Soundtrack 2 My Life, and Cudi Zone.
I apologize for not noticing this comment before because I was too into the music. :lol

Actually, in hindsight, I can say that I like both albums. I'm probably favoring MOTM1 more because it so happens to be one of my favorite albums that I will probably play for ages, but I do like MOTM1 more. Hell, his Cuddernese was not as bad in the first album if you compare it to this one. :lol

Tokubetsu

spindashing said:
I apologize for not noticing this comment before because I was too into the music. :lol

Actually, in hindsight, I can say that I like both albums. I'm probably favoring MOTM1 more because it so happens to be one of my favorite albums that I will probably play for ages, but I do like MOTM1 more. Hell, his Cuddernese was not as bad in the first album if you compare it to this one. :lol

Yea, the cuddernese is the biggest reason why I rate MoTM1 higher but the entire second half of this album is my shit. It's not bad at all and I'm glad I supported.

Listened to the first album again today at work and have to say it is better than the new one imo, i mean its still good but not AS good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom