• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi - Man On the Moon II |OT| Thread of Driving Drunk, Doin Our Thang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamel

Banned
Everything after The Mood is great. Erase me is also catchy. I love Mr. Rager, such a chill song. Overall not AS good at The End of the Day but still pretty damn nice. I am disappointed that 'I do my thing' isn't on this.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Slizz said:
Really liking GHOST!, Mojo So Dope, Ashin' Kusher and The End. Also first time listening to this CD not blazed, can't believe I missed the end of Marijuana where it goes silent for like 4 seconds at 4:16, then he says "annnnnd 420" at the end of the song(4:20) lol
:lol OH wow

Lamel

Banned
Favorite tracks:

Erase Me
Wildn Cuz I'm Young
Mr. Rager
Mojo so Dope
All Along
The Mood

Overall, 9/10. I will definitely buy this and I recommend it to everyone!

Maximus.

Ken Masters said:
I think erase me is garbage, how many songs like that are on the album?

thats the only song on the album thats like that. If you listen to the album in order and understand what he is going for it all works though.

How can you hate Erase Me? Unless you're one of those "rap purists" who believe any sort of rock or pop influence instantly sucks. But considering how unconventional Cudi sounds, that'd a strange thing to think...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zoramon089 said:
How can you hate Erase Me? Unless you're one of those "rap purists" who believe any sort of rock or pop influence instantly sucks. But considering how unconventional Cudi sounds, that'd a strange thing to think...
I like the song, but I think Kanye being in it is kind of out of place imo. Just doesn't fit.

big ander

Eh. It's not horrible, but it's not that good either.
Last 3 tracks are good, I've really liked REVOFEV and Erase Me since they came out, Mr. Rager and We Aite are great.
Man on the Moon was a ton better.

The M.O.B

G-Bus said:
Not feeling this album to much. Couple songs I like but that's it.

Disappointing :(

pshhh only a couple?

Mr Rager?
All Along?
Marijuana?
Trapped In My Mind?
MANIAC?
The Mood?
Ashin Kusher?
We Aite?
Scott Mescudi Vs. The World?
Wild'n Cuz I'm Young?

All Certified Dope

Zoramon089 said:

Rap isn't the only thing I listen to, so I can appreciate a good pop/rock track when I hear one. Issue is, it fails miserably as a pop/rock track. Just a corny attempt at a radio track, I can see this on a Disney Music album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ken Masters said:
Rap isn't the only thing I listen to, so I can appreciate a good pop/rock track when I hear one. Issue is, it fails miserably as a pop/rock track. Just a corny attempt at a radio track, I can see this on a Disney Music album.
I like Erase Me but, damn if it wasn't for Ye's verse it might as well could've been.

Damnnnn, I really hate to say this, but I am pretty underwhelmed and disappointed by this album :(. All of my favorite songs from it were already released pre-release(Mr. Rager, Erase Me). The one song that I like quite alot(because of Cee-Lo Green) is "Scott Mescudi vs The World". Everything else is pretty mediocre in my mind.

I would like to see him go back and do an album with ratatat after this. Also improve the chorus's for the next album. The one thing that kept so interested in Cudi was that even though his lyrics and rapping skills are modest, his chorus's were always(especially in MOTM1) so catchy, and I think that was lost in this album.

this albums mojo is not so dope

my biggest problem with this album is that there arent any stand out tracks. everything has a somber dark tone (which i dig) but nothing really sticks out and gets kinda same-y. gets good midway to end but not one of those albums where i could pick out a random song from it and enjoy.

after a bunch more listens, i found more songs that were listenable, but not necessarily amazing:

mr rager <-- LOVE
maniac <-- LOVE
mescudi vs the world
the mood
we aite
the end
trapped in my mind
wylin cause im young

however, these songs are enjoyable when i listen to them all together in succession but alone? they dont hold up. it actually fits well as a good subway-ride-over-the-williamsburg-bridge-soundtrack-during-the-cold-seasons but really aside from the two songs i bolded everything else is forgettable.

theres no "day n nite" or "make her say" or even "up up and away" in this album. nothing stands out except "erase me" which i think is a terrible song

tl;dr: 5 effings out of 10 vics for this one. its as simple as that for your simple ass

Swag

Holy shit, on my second listen.

Marijuana, the haunting voice in the background. Jesus it's melds so well with the beat, god damn who produced this

effingvic said:
this albums mojo is not so dope

my biggest problem with this album is that there arent any stand out tracks. everything has a somber dark tone (which i dig) but nothing really sticks out and gets kinda same-y. gets good midway to end but not one of those albums where i could pick out a random song from it and enjoy.

after a bunch more listens, i found more songs that were listenable, but not necessarily amazing:

mr rager <-- LOVE
maniac <-- LOVE
mescudi vs the world
the mood
we aite
the end
trapped in my mind
wylin cause im young

however, these songs are enjoyable when i listen to them all together in succession but alone? they dont hold up. it actually fits well as a good subway-ride-over-the-williamsburg-bridge-soundtrack-during-the-cold-seasons but really aside from the two songs i bolded everything else is forgettable.

theres no "day n nite" or "make her say" or even "up up and away" in this album. nothing stands out except "erase me" which i think is a terrible song

tl;dr: 5 effings out of 10 vics for this one. its as simple as that for your simple ass
I agree with this, I think it's actually very cohesive and much more consistent than MOTM1, but it doesn't have the high points MOTM1 did. There's no "Pursuit of Happiness" or "Soundtrack 2 My Life" to be found here. Still, very enjoyable, and since I like to listen to full albums, will probably on repeat for a while.

Swag

The M.O.B said:
Dot da Genius :D

Yes, indeed.

Anyone know what the female singer is singing at the start of Maniac? Can't find the lyrics anywhere

Guessing it's St Vincent that's singing

Damn Maniac is good too, good thing I stayed away from those earlier leaks. Made it so much sweeter.

Sebulon3k said:
Yes, indeed.

Anyone know what the female singer is singing at the start of Maniac? Can't find the lyrics anywhere

Guessing it's St Vincent that's singing

Damn Maniac is good too, good thing I stayed away from those earlier leaks. Made it so much sweeter.

the album version of maniac is slightly different from the earlier versions weve heard i believe. lots of subtle bits added here and there which really boosted the awesomeness of the song.

FilthyLies said:
I agree with this, I think it's actually very cohesive and much more consistent than MOTM1, but it doesn't have the high points MOTM1 did. There's no "Pursuit of Happiness" or "Soundtrack 2 My Life" to be found here. Still, very enjoyable, and since I like to listen to full albums, will probably on repeat for a while.

there we go, i had a brainfart and forgot the name for "pursuit of happiness" :lol. i thought the first album wasnt as good as everyone was making it out to be, but man, the high points were hiiiiiiigh.

Ashhong

Absolutely LOVE the first half or so of Maniac. Could have been this album's Pursuit of Happiness for me. But it just didn't keep the magic.

Tokubetsu

Ashhong said:
Absolutely LOVE the first half or so of Maniac. Could have been this album's Pursuit of Happiness for me. But it just didn't keep the magic.

I prefer the leaked version. With that stuff in the background. Cage's verse still makes the song work for me though.

Drewsky

FilthyLies said:
This is exactly what I told one of my friends about it. It is more consistent than MOTM in that I don't really have any instant skips in this one, but there's just no Pursuit of Happiness.

All Along is by far my favorite so far.

Acid08

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Give us your reasons, don't just come in here and say it sucks.

Whats the point in even posting that? wtf
Giving my opinion is was the point, isn't that what everyone else is doing?

My biggest problem with the album is that it's just boring to listen to. It's like all the energy was sucked out, feels incredibly stale.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Loving this so far. But wtf @ not having "I Do My Thing"? How the hell did that happen? I'm guessing Cudi thinks it's too mainstream and popppy, and doesn't flow with the rest of the album?

C-Jo

Alright, listened to the album 5-6 over the weekend and I think it's pretty fucking great. However, I don't think I can just throw it on whenever, I have to be in a pretty specific head space to enjoy it.

Ashhong

Tokubetsu said:
I prefer the leaked version. With that stuff in the background. Cage's verse still makes the song work for me though.

I havent heard the leaked one in a while, will look around for it.

And goddamn at your creepy avatars :lol fucking Halloween.

Tokubetsu

Ashhong said:
I havent heard the leaked one in a while, will look around for it.

And goddamn at your creepy avatars :lol fucking Halloween.

They're staying after halloween :D

and meant to say WITHOUT* the shit in the background of the verses. I like the airy production of the leaked version.

Swag

Well on my 11th listen, have to say album has definitely grown on me.

These Worries
Marijuana

Scott Mescudi Vs. The World
Marijuana
The Mood
Maniac
Mr.Rager

Are all amazing, Maniac, These Worries, Scott Mescudi Vs. The World, and Marijuana being my favorites off the album.

Something about The End doesn't fit well with me, especially considering the atmosphere for the rest of the album, it's very MOTM to me probably because of Chip / GLC being on there making it a more rap heavy song.

I can definitely agree with what others are saying, from The Mood to Trapped in My Mind the album is near flawless, flows extremely well in atmosphere compared to the first half.

Wild'n Cuz I'm Young is the biggest low point, was always tempted to skip through that when it came up. When I saw Mary J was going to feature on a lot of the album I was a bit apprehensive but her vocals add a lot of flavor to the songs shes on. Kanye's rap style similarly compliments the tone of Erase Me.

Cudi has my money with this one.

I clearly didn't enjoy The End of the Day as much as some of y'all. The two albums are about equal imo, prefer the production here though.

Calantus

First album is much better to me, but this is still pretty decent. I agree that it's pretty stale, at least compared to the first.

KJTB

Calantus said:
First album is much better to me, but this is still pretty decent. I agree that it's pretty stale, at least compared to the first.

I feel the same way. I think I might have hyped myself up too much for this album too which didn't help.

MickD

Wow, WOWWWW!

Marijuana on repeat while smoking. Just made it to Mojo So Dope. Dancing now. I wasn't expecting much on something released a year later, was I so wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom