• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi - Man On the Moon II |OT| Thread of Driving Drunk, Doin Our Thang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of a first listen it's just okay. Considering the His first CD was my favorite of the the year, I guess it's a disappointment but GHOST! is fire as is All Along.

Ashhong

some songs in the mid that im not feeling, too emo/singsongy without a great beat to overshadow it. there are a few awesome tracks though. nothing as good as Pursuit of Happiness though

damn, not feeling this shit at all. the best songs in the album we already heard (i fuckin looooved "maniac" & "mr rager")

so far the only other decent track is "the end" but thats it. ill give it a couple more listens but i enjoyed MoTM1 more than this, even though i thought that was an average album.

GatorBait

Was there ever a mastered version of I Do My Thing released/leaked? Trying to find a good version of it since it is not on the album and it sounds like the initial version that was leaked in March was not the final version according to Cudi.

The CD ends really well...the start is very mediocre. From Mood to GHOST! the cd is great.

All Along is the best song, IMO.

Still his first was so much better.

Slizz

To the people saying they liked the first better and surprised at all the people that like this CD better than the first; I think it has something to do with(at least for me) the fact that when I first heard Cudi he was doing his rap thing, him and Chip tha Rippper. Then his highly anticipated major release was (good) but not the rapping most people were expecting. Now that this CD is "out" I feel like I adapted to Cudi's slight style change to be more of a musician than rapper and thoroughly enjoy the rapping he does on this CD as well as the other stuff. I dunno could be just me.

Tokubetsu

Slizz said:
To the people saying they liked the first better and surprised at all the people that like this CD better than the first; I think it has something to do with(at least for me) the fact that when I first heard Cudi he was doing his rap thing, him and Chip tha Rippper. Then his highly anticipated major release was (good) but not the rapping most people were expecting. Now that this CD is "out" I feel like I adapted to Cudi's slight style change to be more of a musician than rapper and thoroughly enjoy the rapping he does on this CD as well as the other stuff. I dunno could be just me.

On first listen? I'm kinda kinda lukewarm on it. This album might have a bit TOO much Cudernese for me.

Tokubetsu said:
On first listen? I'm kinda kinda lukewarm on it. This album might have a bit TOO much Cudernese for me.

FUCKING TIENSHINHAN ... I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE VISITED THIS THREAD ANYMORE.

I'm still keeping my pre-order. Must ... ignore ... thread..... =(

Some people seem to like the album and some people seem to detest the album. Quite frankly, I hated the first MOTM when I first heard it but I came to appreciate it more after a few listens.

Sounds like this album needed a Ratatat produced track. I loved Alive and Pursuit of Happiness...

Slizz

spindashing said:
FUCKING TIENSHINHAN ... I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE VISITED THIS THREAD ANYMORE.

I'm still keeping my pre-order. Must ... ignore ... thread..... =(

Some people seem to like the album and some people seem to detest the album. Quite frankly, I hated the first MOTM when I first heard it but I came to appreciate it more after a few listens.

Sounds like this album needed a Ratatat produced track. I loved Alive and Pursuit of Happiness...
GHOST! is pretty fucking good, I'm sure you'll like it. Dunno if it'll hit you the way Pursuit does or not but everyone in the thread agrees that its a top track.

Also I've been blazed both times I've listened to the CD today so theres something to take account for.

Slizz said:
GHOST! is pretty fucking good, I'm sure you'll like it. Dunno if it'll hit you the way Pursuit does or not but everyone in the thread agrees that its a top track.

Also I've been blazed both times I've listened to the CD today so theres something to take account for.

I'm happy that GHOST! is a good track. The live recordings of that track wasn't great and a lot of people hated that song. I still had highhopes for it, and I've said several times here that I'd want a CDQ version to that song.

I can't wait. One more week! Will leave impressions, etc, when I get it!

Tokubetsu

I haven't listened to it again yet but it's really his vocals that are urking me this time. I loved MOTM from the first listen and this has some great tracks but again, cudi's vocals are just sticking a bit too much on a lot of the songs for my tastes. Even without ratat, the production is great.

I'm not gonna cancel my pre-order either, I think it'll grow on me. I'll wait till I get the disc and rip it in flac myself before I give it another listen.

Ashhong

theres no Ratatat on here??? No wonder I felt like it was missing something.

Seriously Toku, wtf is that in your avatar?

Ashhong said:
theres no Ratatat on here??? No wonder I felt like it was missing something.

Seriously Toku, wtf is that in your avatar?

Yeah. That's something I was hoping for, but no Ratatat. Mostlly production from Emil, Dot Da Genius and I think Chuck Inglish from the Cool Kids did a track.

Toku, that avatar ... is really weird. :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
spindashing said:
Yeah. That's something I was hoping for, but no Ratatat. Mostlly production from Emil, Dot Da Genius and I think Chuck Inglish from the Cool Kids did a track.

Toku, that avatar ... is really weird. :lol

If Cudi did an album only with Ratatat it'd be the greatest thing ever. He needs to get on that.

Ashhong

MercuryLS said:
If Cudi did an album only with Ratatat it'd be the greatest thing ever. He needs to get on that.

Wasn't that the plan? He talked about a ratatat album as well as a big feel good collage album, but then it changed into MOTM2

Ashhong said:
Wasn't that the plan? He talked about a ratatat album as well as a big feel good collage album, but then it changed into MOTM2

When Cudi first spoke about his "rock" album, I could have sworn he was going to start his band with Ratatat, not Dot Da Genius. Ah well..

The M.O.B

2nd listen Completed!, unorganized review commence!

First off, everything From "The Mood" to the end is dope. Everything before that is a bit uneven, some dope cuts, some not.

The beats are mostly fresh and unique, and some are just straight different from anything I have heard before.

"All Along" sounds like something that could be on the first MOTM. (Favorite Track thus far.)

Overall so far? 4/5 Men on the Moon. I expect just like the first MOTM, a lot of songs will have the ability to grow on me. (I'm "this" close to changing my opinion on "Wild'n Cuz I'm Young")

DO NOT trust anybody who says this ain't dope. This has probably just jumped into my 10 Favorite albums of the year.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Holy fuck I love this album. Not only is it a strong start, but a hell of an end. Then he has a Trifecta right in the middle with Marijuana/Mojo So Dope/Ashin' Kusher. Seriously like I haven't had an album have 3 straight tracks that I could weave through so fluidly and not notice when one started and ended so well...

This album is going to be on constant rotation. FUCK the sophmore slump, Cudi just broke that shit.

methodman

Banned
this is a dope fucking album.

BTW, Man on the Moon was my album of the year in 2009, but that was after a ton of replay listens. I can already tell this will be on repeat for a long ass time.

The M.O.B

What happened to the OP?

He hasn't updated the op with anything.

No artwork and a incomplete track-list :/

People need to know that Cudi has done it again!

Slizz

Really liking GHOST!, Mojo So Dope, Ashin' Kusher and The End. Also first time listening to this CD not blazed, can't believe I missed the end of Marijuana where it goes silent for like 4 seconds at 4:16, then he says "annnnnd 420" at the end of the song(4:20) lol

After one straight through listen, I'm not feeling this as much as End of Day. It has potential, gonna give it a few more listens over the weekend. Still a good album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom