• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi - Man On the Moon II |OT| Thread of Driving Drunk, Doin Our Thang

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Maybe I don't like this because I don't smoke weed. I dunno.
I liked it better my next listen, but it's not at all what I was expecting. Basically, all of the previews for this album were like "End of Day was my dreams and sounded psychedelic but Legend of Mr. Rager will be more grounded and about my real life." And then every song is some slow psychedelic song. It's still good though.
Also, didn't an interview posted just a page or two ago say that Cudi didn't have a lot of his recent personal affairs (cocaine addiction, now clean, etc.) in the album? Every single song has a reference to doing a bump or buying blow :lol

im 5 listens so far, and im still disappointed. I let end of days play from start to end, here I have a feeling I'll narrow down the 5 or so songs I like and just add it to my end of days playlist

this guy

GodfatherX said:
im 5 listens so far, and im still disappointed. I let end of days play from start to end, here I have a feeling I'll narrow down the 5 or so songs I like and just add it to my end of days playlist
This is pretty close to my own opinion right now. I'm hoping this will change, as some of the song on the first album took longer to grow on me than others, but who knows.

I'm so excited!! I've been listening to Cudderisback mixtape nonstop...

And :lol @ title, I feel like you could have picked something less suggestive.

Cleveland baby!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wow man, I haven't been that wasted in awhile. His handlers suck :lol

Ferny

I love the middle of the album but everything else just isn't vibing with me. I think both albums are about the same for me in terms of how good they are but i'll put the first one on top of this one. I'll give it a couple more listens before I really judge it the same way.

I'm with (what feels like) the majority here. At the first few listens nothing really stands out. MANIAC and whatnot are sweet, but songs like Soundtrack to my Life grabbed my attention when I first hear em.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
The mood, MANIAC, and Mr rager are amazing.

But the mood and maniac fall short due to how long they are. Album is good

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just a question, is Scott Mescudi vs. The World supposed to be a reference to Scott Pilgrim, or an unintentional coincidence? :lol Awesome if so.

Whoa, holy shit at CuDi drunk :lol

enzo_gt said:
Just a question, is Scott Mescudi vs. The World supposed to be a reference to Scott Pilgrim, or an unintentional coincidence? :lol Awesome if so.

Whoa, holy shit at CuDi drunk :lol
It probably is, or at least that's what I thought when I saw the title. Cudi's a nerd, I remember watching an interview years ago where he said he loved reading comics when he was younger, especially the more dark Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.

One more week... One more week.

Cudi drunk? Will watch when I get home. :lol

After a couple listens the new album is okay. I really liked the first album a lot after I listened to it over and over. I am going to try and keep listening before I stop completely and keep Mr. Rager on loop. :lol

DominoKid

after listening to MOTM1 (which i love) through again, i know why I like MOTM2 better. i also realize the misconception a lot of people had of MOTM1.

around various sites i visit, the prevailing idea was that MOTM1 was the ultimate sad-sap rap album for our generation. really though, MOTM1 by comparison is disgustingly upbeat in a manner thats juvenile to me.

MOTM2 is a little more chaotic and a little more realistic. But its also still very hopeful and optimistic, but not in that saccharin sweet style of MOTM1.

thats my perspective on it at least

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
after listening to MOTM1 (which i love) through again, i know why I like MOTM2 better. i also realize the misconception a lot of people had of MOTM1.

around various sites i visit, the prevailing idea was that MOTM1 was the ultimate sad-sap rap album for our generation. really though, MOTM1 by comparison is disgustingly upbeat in a manner thats juvenile to me.

MOTM2 is a little more chaotic and a little more realistic. But its also still very hopeful and optimistic, but not in that saccharin sweet style of MOTM1.

thats my perspective on it at least
Holy shit, I could NOT disagree more with you. MotM1 was a journey into CuDi's psyche, how he dealt with issues and the flow of emotions and feelings around the depression he faced. It was ingeniously set up into acts, and whether you consider those acts or not, you can feel the progression in CuDi moving towards self-realization.

Disgustingly upbeat? Seriously? What about the (few) upbeat moments strikes you as disgusting and juvenile, and more saccharine?

I'm still in my first listen of MotM2, but yet still this chaos and realism is yet to strike me. Not getting this hopeful feeling so far, but that may change.

Tokubetsu

I wouldn't call MoTM1 "disgustingly upbeat" but I do agree with Domino, MoTM2 is a LOT darker than MoTM1 ever got.

remz

solo dolo is like the only song on MoTM 1 i'd describe as "dark" but like most of this is super dark

edit: lol... MoTM 11. I like Solo Dolo too.

DominoKid

enzo_gt said:
Holy shit, I could NOT disagree more with you. MotM1 was a journey into CuDi's psyche, how he dealt with issues and the flow of emotions and feelings around the depression he faced. It was ingeniously set up into acts, and whether you consider those acts or not, you can feel the progression in CuDi moving towards self-realization.

Disgustingly upbeat? Seriously? What about the (few) upbeat moments strikes you as disgusting and juvenile, and more saccharine?

I'm still in my first listen of MotM2, but yet still this chaos and realism is yet to strike me. Not getting this hopeful feeling so far, but that may change.

all the songs bar Mr Solo Dolo and S2ML run the range from content (Day N Nite) to extreme happiness and hope (Sky Might Fall especially). i enjoyed it, but i felt like he got his self-realization story across much better this time.

there was no real struggle in the first album for me.

enzo_gt said:

I think this is a great way to describe his first album. Look at Soundtrack to my Life, and then Heart of a Lion, and Pursuit of Happiness, and finally Up, Up and Away. Soundtrack starts almost as descriptive of who he is, and it gradually increases his perception until you reach the finally track which is pretty much, "fuck 'em".

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
DominoKid said:
all the songs bar Mr Solo Dolo and S2ML run the range from content (Day N Nite) to extreme happiness and hope (Sky Might Fall especially). i enjoyed it, but i felt like he got his self-realization story across much better this time.

:lol what?? "soundtrack 2 my life" was pure struggles

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:

Maybe cause the second album focuses more on physical (drugs) and extreme struggles than depression is why it appeals to you more. And I don't know how you missed the struggles in the first album, but not understanding those may have been a reason why you like the second better.

Depression is much more relatable to me than hard drugs and weed (don't blaze).

big ander

shadowcomplex said:
:lol what?? "soundtrack 2 my life" was pure struggles
all the songs bar Mr Solo Dolo and S2ML

But yeah I liked End of day because it mixed happiness and depression. Rager mixes depression and coke. Doesn't appeal to me as much. I "get" the songs but I dont enjoy them.

Tokubetsu said:
According to Cage's twitter, they're gonna be performing Maniac.
Holy shit. I've not heard that song other than the song sampler, so I will watch.

Edit: actually...I'll DVR it. I should sleep early. Long day of classes tomorrow....

Swag

spindashing said:
He's also appearing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight on NBC. Check yo' local listings, fool. Other guests include Zach Galifianakis and Dan Boyle.

Seriously that song, just doesn't fit very well live compared to the album version. Maybe it's just the way they perform it, or the stiffness of Cage on stage.

They just seem so out of place

C-Jo

Been listening to the album almost non-stop for the past few days and I can pretty comfortably say that I love it. Not as much as MotM1, but it's still great.

C-Jo said:
Been listening to the album almost non-stop for the past few days and I can pretty comfortably say that I love it. Not as much as MotM1, but it's still great.

This sums up how I feel about it. I have had it on loop the past 2 days and the album has some strong songs but as a whole the album is okay. MotM1 on the other hand was a perfect album in my opinion.

Ayo I just watched Kid Cudi on Jimmy Fallon.

The first thing that threw me off

"Wait...is that...?uestlove?! :lol :lol"

I did not know the Roots did the music for that show. It's actually my first time seeing it...

Cudi did his thing to start. The song sounded weird. I felt Cage rushed his verse too. It's actually my first time hearing it so I can only hope the CDQ is 100x better.

Also does this mean Maniac is a single..?

I've had 'Maniac' on repeat the last few day while writing... Kid Cudi is great to listen to while writing (given the "dreamy sometimes dark" context of the material I'm working on). The Fallon performance was alright. "The Legend of Mr. Rager" is the first time listening to Cudi (aside from anything on the radio) but, I after recently giving "End of Day" a few listens... I prefer MOTM1 overall.

+1 Cudi fan

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Enjoying the album so far, not as much as MOTM 2 but still listening to it every day. My impressions from the hip hop thread

Different feel from the first. Not as a good but still enjoyable. It's more low key, lacks the lighthearted and fun feel of the first which is a shame. Production isn't nearly as good but it's still interesting.

Scott Mescudi vs. the world is good despite the lame name
Revofev is great but I've heard it endlessly already
Dont play this song is good outside of Mary J Blige's bullshit singing
We aite is a throw away track that makes no sense
Marijuana is generic but enjoyable
Mojo So Dope, see revofev
Ashin' Kutcher is one of my favorite tracks. Just a great simple beat thats dope as fuck.
Erase Me, I've always liked the track outside of the horrible HORRIBLE hook.
Wild cuz im young is boring but also oddly catchy.
The Mood might be my favorite track, I just love the hell out of the beat.
Maniac I had heard before but I still listen to it constantly. Great song.
Mr.Rager, see revofev
These worries, first shitty song, another horrible Mary guest appearance.
The End, love this beat. Gives me old school Organized Noise vibes. GLC and Chip are kind of boring but not enough to ruin this song.
All Along, another meh track. Whiny as fuck.
Ghost, another winner. Great beat, not a fan of Cudi's warbling on this track but the beat makes up for it.
Trapped in my mind, has a MOTM1 vibe, I like it.

Bolded are my favorite tracks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So Im really, really trying to like this album. I gave it a 3rd try and fuck...

MANIAC is fucking RAW. I don't know who the fuck Cage is, but his verse is amazing.

EDIT: Oh shit.

Maniac.jpg

enzo_gt said:
So Im really, really trying to like this album. I gave it a 3rd try and fuck...

MANIAC is fucking RAW. I don't know who the fuck Cage is, but his verse is amazing.

I guess I was right in saying that MANIAC would be the next single. Shia LaBeouf actually directed one of Cage's music videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhth7toJ3ns&ob=av2n

enzo, enzo, enzo. Get on that Cage too. He's brilliant -- just stay away from his Depart from Me album, which is his most recent album. I can only stomach like 2 tracks out of that album, one being the song I linked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
I guess I was right in saying that MANIAC would be the next single. Shia LaBeouf actually directed one of Cage's music videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhth7toJ3ns&ob=av2n

enzo, enzo, enzo. Get on that Cage too. He's brilliant -- just stay away from his Depart from Me album, which is his most recent album. I can only stomach like 2 tracks out of that album, one being the song I linked.
Goddamnit, I just started listening to F&L too and this music shit is exploding on me too fast, especially with Cole's mixtape in a week and then MBDTF the week after :lol

All in due time, homie. I'll sum up my thoughts about MotM2 after a few more spins and post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom