• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $149 at Gamestop, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc

Chris R

Needs to be $99.99 standalone (with a title or two included... preferably none of the junk they showed today) and probably 59.99$ bundled with a new 360 :| Won't be anywhere close to that, but I just don't see how this catches on at $150.

cameltoe

ICallItFutile said:
Okay, the Arcade Unit Bundle and regular unit are much more reasonably priced. The Arcade is currently $199 so an extra $100 for Kinect isn't so bad. The same goes for the current $299 model. Kinect might not be doomed after all!

arcade is now 149 and elite is 249 so yeah....

Gameboy415

This bundle is the ONLY way Kinect is going to work for me:

-Slim 360
-Kinect
-AT LEAST one Kinect game, maybe an older 360 game

= $299.99

Anything over that is RIDICULOUS.

How a FIVE YEAR OLD console is STILL $299 is beyond me...

Chrange

Banned
I doubt the price is accurate. Why would Microsoft give it to GameStop, but not mention it at their conference or in a press release?

In any case, my daughter is already saving up for it. She desperately wants that animal game.

Trickster

Gameboy415 said:
How a FIVE YEAR OLD console is STILL $299 is beyond me...

Arcade version is 199 at gamestop. And you can get an Xbox 360 Elite bundle with Forza 3 and ODST for 299

Combichristoffersen said:
I refuse to believe it's $149. At that price, it'll practically be dead on arrival.

I agree. I really can't believe they'd price them out of the impulse market right off the bat. No matter how they market this a lot of the current owners of the 360 won't jump at that price. Myself included and I'm STILL excited for it even after the lackluster E3 conference.

The games cannot be $59.99 either ... even with huge AAA blockbusters I don't pay that much (usually wait for Amazon deal or price drop) ... take Skate 3 for instance ... with the RDR credit only paid $19.99 for it ... how is Kinectimals going to compete with those kind of pricing drops occurring pretty regularly.

I don't know, I'm still wanting one but I won't pay over $100 and it has to include some games.

mysteriousmage09 said:
Look at their past pricing of accessories. All overpriced to hell and back. $100 for a 20gig HDD is all that needs to be said.

They aren't relying on those to move software. HDD's, Controllers, WiFi adapters ... all shit you get AFTER the point of purchase and you're already invested. With Kinect they need you to buy it for other things to take off.

I just really can't see them pricing them out of the market with this. It's possible, but I just can't imagine it.

Chrange said:
I doubt the price is accurate. Why would Microsoft give it to GameStop, but not mention it at their conference or in a press release?

In any case, my daughter is already saving up for it. She desperately wants that animal game.
They were already in a desperate position. The only way to get the audience to leave with a smile on their face was to pull an Oprah moment. Saying that all this embarrassing shit can be yours for the price of $150 wouldn't have been the best way to end.

Guyver

Combichristoffersen said:
I refuse to believe it's $149. At that price, it'll practically be dead on arrival.

Yep I agree, I'm already sensing Hiroshi Yamauchi laughing at this......

Alphahawk

Like others I agree $150 is way to high, unlike others though I do not see how it could be priced much lower given all the technology going on in the thing. Ihe inherint problem with the thing from day one is it's an add on that tries to tackle the casual market that the Wii built, making it inherently more expensive than the Wii itself. Only a small percentage of current Xbox customers will buy it and only a small percentage of potential Wii buyers will buy a 360 and Kinect instead. I don't predict that the Kinect will fall dead in the water, but I do predict next E3 we'll see MS treating the device in a similar way that Sony treats the PSP currently...

dyergram

Seems pretty likely that 149 is a place holder price so they can take pre orders as in they know thats the most it will be.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think the Kinect launch library looks like garbage (garbage is probably too nice of a word) like most of you, but I think you guys are underestimating the stupidity of the general public.

Stupid casuals + Massive Microsoft advertising + Stupid casual launch titles = Success?

Gameboy415

Trickster said:
Arcade version is 199 at gamestop.

Right, but how much is the add-on Hard Drive you have to buy?
And what if you want to use a wireless internet connection? (which is my only option at home)

Trickster said:
And you can get an Xbox 360 Elite bundle with Forza 3 and ODST for 299

I don't really want either of those games so how does that appeal to me?

I really want to get a slim 360 but I can't justify dropping so much money on it. :(
Here's hoping the Kinect bundle will be reasonably priced (as I mentioned in my previous post).

PS2 KID

At $149 they'll sell every single one they manufacture.
Parents and hardcore gamers alike will be fiercely bidding on ebay for any they can find.

Microsoft will making a killing with Kinect.

Lunchbox

Banned
should be 99$

150 arcade + 100 kinect = 250$ bundled with some minigames would do really well for them.

but they wont do that. they're gonna take advantage of the early adopters with a inflated price

Sapiens

Firewire said:
$149 is bomba.

Seriously this tech can't be costing MS anywhere near $100.

Possibly on the component level, but don't forget about research and development, marketing, etc. Plus, MS accessories have been expensive, generally.

And we all know MS wants to follow a Nintendo pricing model where they can make nice profits on each unit. If Nintendo can sell a cheap to build piece of kit for a premium based on the hype it had, maybe MS can too...

We'll see.

mysteriousmage09 said:
They were already in a desperate position. The only way to get the audience to leave with a smile on their face was to pull an Oprah moment. Saying that all this embarrassing shit can be yours for the price of $150 wouldn't have been the best way to end.

What desperate position? That entire conference wasn't meant for most of GAF after the big guns were shown. While I didn't really enjoy what I saw it doesn't mean it was 'epic failure' ... And who gives a shit if they leave with a smile? They didn't give away Kinect's or Xbox's at the event yesterday with Cirque people did they?

I understand that 99% of GAF couldn't give a shit about these games, but we're not who they want to buy it. We already have Xbox's, we are already buy games every year.

seady

Initial price is very important, if they fail horribly when they came out of the gate, it will be hard to come back. The perception of this thing already failed horribly among gamers, if it doesn't come out strong, developers will drop support fast and it will become a bargain bin hardware before you knew it - just like the HD DVD player.

For $150, it will fail for sure. 100%. They might as well stop promoting this thing now to stop wasting money. It's better to lose some money now to gain it back later, then trying to go high then fall horribly.

Also, the games they showed today are nowhere near the quality of Nintendo's casual games. They felt like cheap 3rd party Wii cash-in such as Deca Sports or Just Dance.

Ben Sones

flyinpiranha said:
I understand that 99% of GAF couldn't give a shit about these games, but we're not who they want to buy it. We already have Xbox's, we are already buy games every year.

Yeah, except that the people they want to buy it aren't going to buy it, either. Those people already have Wiis, and aren't likely a multi-console sort of crowd.

gamestop.com said:
Official pricing has not been announced by the publisher. This is an estimate only and subject to change. Worry Free Guarantee - if the price decreases between the time you place your preorder and the release date, you’ll receive the lowest price.
Quantity will be limited so orders will be shipped on a first come first served basis.

They have to set the price of things like this at the highest amount they think it MIGHT be. Allowing people to preorder and then raising the price just can't be done. By listing a high price the announced price will be at or below this price. This is the path of least resistance.

Sapiens said:
Possibly on the component level, but don't forget about research and development, marketing, etc. Plus, MS accessories have been expensive, generally.

And we all know MS wants to follow a Nintendo pricing model where they can make nice profits on each unit. If Nintendo can sell a cheap to build piece of kit for a premium based on the hype it had, maybe MS can too...

We'll see.

This can't be compared to the Wii at all. even at 300 dollars, this is only a value add to the point where you're playing the titles associated with Kinect, as it isn't backwards compatibe at all. Buy a Wii and you can play every Wii game. Buy a Kinect pack and you have to dish for the exclusive games, while the Wii still exists AND is cheaper AND comes with 2 games out of the box? Good 'effing luck.

This thing ain't gonna cost this much. It can't.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
PS2 KID said:
At $149 they'll sell every single one they manufacture.
Parents and hardcore gamers alike will be fiercely bidding on ebay for any they can find.

Microsoft will making a killing with Kinect.

hahaha. That's funny.

You're kidding, rite?

mj1108

Trickster said:
Honestly if they bundle it with something like Kinectimals and maybe something else. It'll sell very well I think.

If they bundle it with anything, watch them bundle it with Wii...er.. Kinect Sports.

I mean, it worked for Nintendo after all. :lol

Ember128

How much was the Rockband Bundle at release again? $169.99?

Wait, this is made by Microsoft and something far more advanced than Fisher Price Guitar and Drums. All hate is justified. :lol

knitoe

Ben Sones said:
Yeah, except that the people they want to buy it aren't going to buy it, either. Those people already have Wiis, and aren't likely a multi-console sort of crowd.
This logic is why i think many on GAF are wrong. Big difference is controller vs none. Many casual user still have problems using even the Wii remote. Market correctly, Kinect could easily convert those people and more whom never like / understand the Wii remote style. How successful remains to be seen. Personally, since Natal announce, have believe it's going to be the "HOT" item this holiday. My Mrs. and 3 year old kid tells me. Now, if you are talking about Move, Sony's got a problem here.

Top Bottom