• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX coming to NA and Europe this Fall

Well... assuming they're gonna do 0.5 as well, 2.5 would only include KH2FM and Re:Coded. Right? And then 0.5 would include BbS and 3D. That's not a lot of content to put in so 2.5 is definitely possible.

I'm still more inclined to think that it will be 2.5 (2FM+, BBS and Re:coded scenes) plus a separate single release of Re:DDD like Resident Evil Revelations.
It all depends on how much resources S-E is willing to put into it.

Granted mid 2014 releases on Ps3 are still possible given the install base.

Berordn

I doubt a 0.5.

2.5 will be KH2FM, KHBBSFM, and cutscenes from KHDDD. re:coded - while it is a fun game - I don't think will see any HD treatment. If anything, the secret cutscene at the end only (which is the set up for DDD)

While I also doubt a 0.5, I really doubt they'd bundle KH2 and BBS together, since BBS is effectively KH3 already. That'd be throwing a lot of stuff out at once if they're still milking this after the PS4's release.

Famassu

Still don't get why people think you'd get KH 2 and BBS in a potential KH 2.5 release. Storywise that doesn't quite jell. It'd probably be KH 2 FM, RE:Coded HD, and cutscenes from DDD and a separate BBS HD release.
Because BBS should be played after I, CoM, II & Days and because ReCoded in HD simply isn't going to happen (too much work, in comparison to a super easy PSP HD port). Nomura has acknowledged that there is a sizable portion of the fanbase (especially in the west) who haven't played BBS due to it being on PSP and making it a separate release would hinder that as Sony doesn't allow singular (physical) releases in the west.

And DDD was released so recently that I don't think they'll include it in any of these collections. 3DS and DDD are both still readily available everywhere, so people can just get them on the original platform.

LycanXIII

I've never have had control issues for Kingdom Hearts. Then again, I don't recall a single game where I've ever had control issues.

It's the camera mostly for me. The controls seem off as well, but this is the first time I've played it since KH2 came out and the first time I've played my PS2 since I got my 360 5 years ago. So it's mostly me, but it just feels weird.

Berordn

Because BBS should be played after I, CoM, II & Days and because ReCoded in HD simply isn't going to happen (too much work, in comparison to a super easy PSP HD port). Nomura has acknowledged that there is a sizable portion of the fanbase (especially in the west) who haven't played BBS due to it being on PSP and making it a separate release would hinder that as Sony doesn't allow singular (physical) releases in the west.

And DDD was released so recently that I don't think they'll include it in any of these collections. 3DS and DDD are both still readily available everywhere, so people can just get them on the original platform.

But if they wait, they could package BBS and DDD together as an individual package when we're finally closer to KH3's release since the two of them make up the "required reading" for it.

Not surprised but glad to have a date confirmed for it.

I still have all of my copies of all these games, particularly KH FM and KH2 FM to go with vanilla KH & KH2. I also do have BBS FM as well (that's currently loaded onto my PSP Go).

I would guess 2.5 would be KH2FM, Re:coded and a complete version of Days put back in it's original release order. Not sure they'd want to expand outside the content of KH 1+2 plus remaking coded and Days, even if it's a hassle for an HD remaster, would allow them to continue to monetize those in the future.

Berordn

I honestly don't see how bundling KH2 and BBSFM is any different from KH1 and Re:CoM being bundled in this collection.

BBS isn't a spinoff or sidestory, it's essentially a full Kingdom Hearts game with unique worlds and scenarios. Coded, Days and CoM are rehashes of the KH1 (and a little KH2 thrown in for spice).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I can see why people would say BbS and KH2FM would make up 2.5 but honestly I think that, from both a business and gameplay practical standpoint, two separate releases is better. They're releasing two separate titles which will most likely mean more money. They're not jamming a large amount of content into a single disc plus it separates the release so the wait for the next KH title won't be too long. Assuming KH3 is still way off I can see 2.5 this year or next year. 0.5 late next year or the year after and then KH3 soon after.

Famassu

But if they wait, they could package BBS and DDD together as an individual package when we're finally closer to KH3's release since the two of them make up the "required reading" for it.
But then 2.5 would be really barebones. No, 2.5 is very likely going to be II FM, BBS FM and maybe something else (maybe ReCoded cutscenes).

Seda

Berordyn's and Famassu's points do make sense, but I still believe the next KH HD 'remix' will be KH2FM, KHBBSFM, and cutscenes from KHDDD.

kayos90

But then 2.5 would be really barebones. No, 2.5 is very likely going to be II FM, BBS FM and maybe something else (maybe ReCoded cutscenes).

How would 2.5 without BbS be barebones? KH2FM is a pretty bloated game. It has a ton of content by itself.

Berordyn's and Famassu's points do make sense, but I still believe the next KH HD 'remix' will be KH2FM, KHBBSFM, and cutscenes from KHDDD.

If this is the case then I don't expect to see it this fall.

Berordn

It could be IIFM, and include playable Days or Coded, and then it'd be on par with 1.5. If they really wanted to include another theater mode, there's BBS and DDD to pull from.

kayos90

It could be IIFM, and include playable Days or Coded, and then it'd be on par with 1.5. If they really wanted to include another theater mode, there's BBS and DDD to pull from.

It's not going to have a playable Days. I can guarantee you that.

Playable coded is the most unlikely, too much work to port to Ps3 a game that was originally on mobiles, and I'm not even talking about smartphones.

It will be cutscenes at best.

Re:Chain of Memories got included as playable in 1.5 only because it already had a Ps2 remake.

Berordn

Playable coded is the most unlikely, too much work to port to Ps3 a game that was originally on mobiles, and I'm not even talking about smartphones.

Considering there wasn't much game to the original coded, it'd inevitably be based on Re:Coded.

Not that there's a story in either incarnation.

kayos90

You do know that Re:Coded came out, right? However, you do bring up a good point. I don't think it'll be playable.

Considering there wasn't much game to the original coded, it'd inevitably be based on Re:Coded.

Not that there's a story in either incarnation.

You do know that Re:Coded came out, right? However, you do bring up a good point. I don't think it'll be playable.

Of course I know about Re:coded :p
I was referring to that and still it doesn't change much... That game cannot be Remastered, it has to be Remade from the ground up to run on PS3 level.
Too much work for the least popular game in the series. Either it gets a theater mode for the sake of completeness or it gets ignored all the way.

I kinda wonder if people are reading too much into Days being cutscenes only in 1.5? The gameplay is based on 2 so development-wise it would have been a nightmare to add, plus it would basically contains gameplay spoilers (for want of a better phrase) for KH2 in terms of the content being the same. And although Re:coded is based on KH1 content it wouldn't fit in the 1.5 collection chronologically. It may not be that they see releasing the cutscenes from some games as an adequate remake, it could just be that they included the Days scenes to bulk out the 1.5 collection and to allow people to view the story in chronological order without the absurdity of playing the reused KH2 content in Days before the actual game.

Berordn

Of course I know about Re:coded :p
I was referring to that and still it doesn't change much... That game cannot be Remastered, it has to be Remade from the ground up to run on PS3 level.
Too much work for the least popular game in the series. Either it gets a theater mode for the sake of completeness or it gets ignored all the way.

It's not like no work goes into remasters either. Most of the assets already exist in HD for Days and Re:Coded thanks to KH1, whereas they'd have to spend a lot of time recreating assets and improving character models from BBS. Working on a smaller project like Re:coded would also allow them to use the engine as a base for a BBS collection or DDD HD release at some point in the future.

kayos90

I'm expecting 1.5, 2.5, 0.5 then a Kingdom Hearts HD 2.75 which includes everything I just listed including a secret ending that teases KH3. LOL.

Seda

I kinda wonder if people are reading too much into Days being cutscenes only in 1.5? The gameplay is based on 2 so development-wise it would have been a nightmare to add, plus it would basically contains gameplay spoilers (for want of a better phrase) for KH2 in terms of the content being the same. And although Re:coded is based on KH1 content it wouldn't fit in the 1.5 collection chronologically. It may not be that they see releasing the cutscenes from some games as an adequate remake, it could just be that they included the Days scenes to bulk out the 1.5 collection and to allow people to view the story in chronological order without the absurdity of playing the reused KH2 content in Days before the actual game.

I highly doubt that Days being cutscenes in 1.5 has anything to do with the gameplay similarities it does share with KH2.

The fact that it was on a dual-screen one touchscreen portable that would be difficult to make playable on an HD console is why it's not playable, but the fact that it does have some importance to the story (and where it falls in the timeline) was significant enough to include cutscenes from it anyway.

I am really happy that Square went the extra mile with the port not only having FM content but also improving the game by changing the camera (that seemed to be the biggest problem to most people) and stuff. This is how you friggin do a HD rerelease.

I still wonder if they are gonna do any bonuses for KH2FM... It didn't have the new combo master ability right?

Seda

I'm expecting 1.5, 2.5, 0.5 then a Kingdom Hearts HD 2.75 which includes everything I just listed including a secret ending that teases KH3. LOL.

After the two (yes only two) PS3 remakes, these two discs will be reremade on PS4 as Kingdom Hearts 2.π / 3 ultra rejig.

I highly doubt that Days being cutscenes in 1.5 has anything to do with the gameplay similarities it does share with KH2.

The fact that it was on a dual-screen one touchscreen portable that would be difficult to make playable on an HD console is why it's not playable, but the fact that it does have some importance to the story (and where it falls in the timeline) was significant enough to include cutscenes from it anyway.

I think the fact that it would have required a ton of KH2 content to be remastered and then, oddly, be played before the game itself had more bearing on it than the original having an extra screen that it didn't really use.

Personally, I'd rather they just keep things simple and limit this to two HD collections. 1.5's already taken care of, so I think KH2FM and BBSFM would be the natural choces for 2.5. KH2 and BBS play off of each other plot wise (KH2 repeatedly hints at events from BBS, BBS (attempts to) explain KH2's nonsense and it's secret ending loops right back around to the end of KH2.)

- Making a proper remake of Days is pretty much off the table thanks to 1.5
- Secret ending aside, Coded is redundant in pretty much all respects, so it's really unnecessary for that to get remade (again)

And that leaves DDD, which could probably get covered in a separate theater mode (And unlike Days, they wouldn't have to hire any VAs or anything; They could simply re-render the relevant scenes in HD.) That'd be the ideal way to handle things, in my opinion.

I still wonder if they are gonna do any bonuses for KH2FM... It didn't have the new combo master ability right?

KH2FM was the first game to have Combo Master.

Vashetti

Banned
cDTl3nb-460x261.jpg

This encapsulates everything Square Enix in one image.

Go_Ly_Dow

No 360 version is not really a surprise, KH has never been associated with Microsoft.

No PS4 version isn't too shocking either since a PS2 remaster would be a odd launch title.

They just need to get 2.5 out in a timely fashion and worldwide .

Famassu

How the fuck does it take that long?
Well, usually when it has only been one game, it's taken them 3-4 months or so (a bit more with games they've added tons of content + had other improvements, that is, 1 & BBS). This package having not one, but two games (one of which has never been released in Europe) + a, what, 3 hour long "movie" for which they'll probably have to do plenty of lip-syncing, I guess there's a lot to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they revised the old localizations a bit too (they've done it before).

Of course it could all just be some stupid "we don't want to release it during Summer months" way of thinking.

SykoTech

Seriously should have been a Summer release.

But whatever. Will Day 1 this and the 2.5 Collection whenever it releases as well.

Then Kingdom Hearts III on PS4....can't even imagine how much that'll floor me.

Dragun619

Well, Finally, they announce it for NA & EU but for Fall? Man, that's a long wait.

At least hopefully, that Dragonknight dude will stop posting "WHAT, NO KINGDOM HEARTS" on the psblog.

Ugh Fall -_-.

Well better then than never. I finally get to experience the first KH and Ps2 remake of COM. My first Final Mix version as well. Can't wait to experience this.

Top Bottom