• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton: OK, Bear With Me: What If Mario And Wario Are The Same Guy?

Makonero

In Nintendo's recently released mobile game Super Mario Run, the famous plumber leaps his way through a couple dozen levels on his way to rescue Princess Peach from Bowser. Been there, done that. Yet perhaps there is a second, darker reading of this game? Maybe there's an interpretation that shakes the accepted Mario lore to its very core??

I'm going to warn you up front that this is a ridiculous theory. It is likely wrong in a hundred ways. That will not stop me from sharing it with you now.

The theory originated on a recent episode of the Idle Thumbs podcast, which is hosted by Chris Remo, Jake Rodkin and Nick Breckon. I like all three of those guys and used to go on their show back when I lived in San Francisco—Remo also joined me on our own Splitscreen podcast last year. While I've always enjoyed their show and its various Mario-related flights of fancy, I did not expect to hear a theory so outlandish it'd feel more at home in one of Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear games.

We can therefore conclude that in the new game, Mario is conquering the Mushroom Kingdom, not liberating it. It's not the first time Mario has flown his own flag, but the Mario-as-conqueror theory is further supported by Mario Run's separate Kingdom Builder, in which Mario conscripts a growing workforce of Toad citizens to make him a vast new empire.

Mario is now de facto ruler over a new kingdom. ”It's basically a military junta," Remo said, pointing out that this is just the sort of ”interim" government commonly propped up after a coup, the creators of which usually have no intention of actually stepping down or returning power to the people.

Super Mario Run doesn't have an ending, but if you beat every level and max out the Kingdom Builder, Mario has become a dictator. He's running what amounts to an apartheid state, with an indentured workforce of Toads who have been separated out by color and forced to build castles and statues in tribute to their glorious leader.

That leader's name is Mario.

...or is it?

By the end of Mario Run, Mario has become a coin-obsessed dictator ruling a kingdom rebuilt in his image. ”He's more obsessed with coins than ever before in Mario Run," said Remo, pointing to a trend that arguably began in the coin-crazy days of New Super Mario Bros. ”At this point I think I have like, 600,000 coins in my game. That's way more coins than he needs."

”Mario is not generally depicted inside a pile of coins," said Rodkin. ”But someone definitely is. Lets just put it this way. I don't wanna name names. But it rhymes with Mario."

For more of this silly fanfic, please head here:
http://kotaku.com/ok-bear-with-me-what-if-mario-and-wario-are-the-same-1791132939

(BTW Kirk I love you but this is dumb. Really dumb. I hope Schreier calls you out on its dumbness in the next episode of Splitscreen.)

Auctopus

Are people just trying to burn the time between now and the Switch conference?

It's a pretty funny read.

I just read through this and, like all of Kirk's stuff, it's beautiful. Perfect amount of jolliness to kill some time with before the Switch presentation

webrunner

I have always thought that the idea that Wario is somehow Mario's opposite makes no sense.

Mario likes coins, Wario REALLY likes coins
Mario likes italian food, which is often garlic-heavy. Wario likes Garlic.
Mario can come back to life if he dies, Wario actually immortal
Mario is overweight, Wario is obese

Wario isn't an "anti" mario, he's Extreme Mario, he is Peak Mario

We need Kotaku articles on the other identity theories:
Sans is Ness
Nishikino Maki is Knuckles
Tsushima "Yohane" Yoshiko is Olivia Pierce
Izetta is Bayonetta

Richie

Explain Mario Land 2.

brad-pitt-fight-club.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
[...] While I've always enjoyed their show and its various Mario-related flights of fancy, I did not expect to hear a theory so outlandish it'd feel more at home in one of Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear games.

The short version of the theory: In Super Mario Run, Mario doesn't just liberate the Mushroom Kingdom, he conquers it. With the help of his workforce of ”liberated" Toad subjects, he builds a new kingdom in his image. He eventually becomes power-mad and corrupted, which causes him to assume a new identity: Corrupt Mario, a.k.a. Wario. Under this new identity, he rules over the former Mushroom Kingdom with an iron fist until his son, Mario Jr., overthrows him with the help of his uncle Luigi, Peach, and others.

Peach, I am already a daemon.

Such a lust for mushrooms. Whooo?!

New002

What if a journalist had a deadline with a deliverable, but had no idea what to write about?

:D

nofunallowed.jpg

So that explains Pink Gold Peach. She's essentially Wapeach, as she is both the living embodiment of naked avarice and a decadent luxury item: perfect as Corrupt Mario's/Wario's counterpart.

Makes sense. If Mario looks like that at 25, when he's 35 or 45, he'd age poor enough to resemble Wario.

There's also the matter of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Mario is the villain in it and his fate is unknown following the ending. And why would DK Jr make friends with Mario if he kidnapoed his father?

BUT WHO IS THE MOTHER, KIRK

TELL US THAT

Pauline.

Zomba13

I would say "no, they are seen together in Mario Kart and Tennis etc" but then you also see Baby Mario racing with Adult Mario so obvious time fuckery is afoot in the sport spin-offs.

I'm a believer Wario is Punished Mario, he's already a demon.

Makonero

I would say "no, they are seen together in Mario Kart and Tennis etc" but then you also see Baby Mario racing with Adult Mario so obvious time fuckery is afoot in the sport spin-offs.

I'm a believer Wario is Punished Mario, he's already a demon.

what if baby mario is wario's grandson

HeatBoost

This kinda thing is only slightly better than stuff like "All the Rugrats are actually dead except Angela" and "It was all the delusion of a crazy person in an insane asylum" theories

WPS

I was going to make a joke about seeing them in the same room at the same time, but then I remembered that I've seen Mario, Tanuki Mario, Metal Mario, Baby Mario and another two Marios all on the same Kart Track.

SilentRob

And why aren't gaming "journalists" taken seriously?

Hrm...

"That guy just posted a funny thing! How dare he, I ask?! How will I ever be able to take him seriously again when he onced made light of gaming's most important icons?! How?! HOW, I ASK?!"

LordKasual

Banned
I have always thought that the idea that Wario is somehow Mario's opposite makes no sense.

Peak Mario

I do not know why this tickled me as much as it did

Makonero

I just can't wait for the game set during the Mario Wars, where we see Mario become Wario during an RTS-style war campaign between the toads and the koopas.

DarkTom

Hey nice, that's pretty spot on.

What about Wario Land? Are you telling me that (ending spoilers)
the jerk that liberates the Princess Peach statue from the ruins of Syrup Castle is in fact not Mario but Luigi? Fits with that theory of Luigi being the richest man in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Top Bottom