• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton: OK, Bear With Me: What If Mario And Wario Are The Same Guy?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We somehow have to make head transplantation a part of it.

Anno

Listening to them stich together this fan fiction on the live cast was pretty entertaining. It's makes enough sense to work for me.

Retro

Doctor Mario is all about him trying to desperately find a way to cure his Mr. Hyde-like Wario alter ego. He's testing different combinations of drugs against his own neuro-chemistry.

Jeremy

I've never seen such a brazen attempt at conquering the quiet before the storm (aka a slow news day) in the video game journalism industry.

KainXVIII

Video game journalism

Close+the+door+and+never+open+it+again+_228e29244c47a496c06223c37d0f9b46.gif

I have always thought that the idea that Wario is somehow Mario's opposite makes no sense.

Mario likes coins, Wario REALLY likes coins
Mario likes italian food, which is often garlic-heavy. Wario likes Garlic.
Mario can come back to life if he dies, Wario actually immortal
Mario is overweight, Wario is obese

Wario isn't an "anti" mario, he's Extreme Mario, he is Peak Mario

whoa dude

robotrock

Banned
I have always thought that the idea that Wario is somehow Mario's opposite makes no sense.

I know this is getting quoted a lot but this is legit mindblowing

Cheerilee

In Europe, doesn't Firstname > Lastname often mean "son of".

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario = Mario son of Mario, and Luigi son of Mario.

L Thammy

None of the Mario games involving the Mushroom Kingdom actually happen. Mario is a regular middle aged man who tried to spice up his life by buying a gorilla. The gorilla then destroyed the construction site Mario was working on, costing him his job and forcing him to take up plumbing to pay the damages. When the court ordered that he was no longer allowed to have an exotic pet and it was released back to its natural habitat, Donkey Kong Island, Mario started to retreat into a fantasy life. He imagined that he could disappear into the pipes and appear in a magical world, where there were princesses to rescue, bad guys to beat, and there's always a nice big cake waiting for him at the end.

Wario reflects the perception Mario has of his real world self. An overweight, selfish, greedy slob. Mario creates this exaggerated image of Wario to dissociate from his own flaws. He can't be any of these things because, if he really was, he would be Wario instead of himself.

Yeah, everyone needs to listen to the Idle Thumbs episode where he got his theory from.

And every other Idle Thumbs episode.

Hearing them come up with this shit live was great.

I appreciate being born into an era where people can get paid for writing an article about a podcast they listened to where people talked about a game they played. I do not mean that ironically; it's a pretty amazing time to be alive.

Also cool people can be this baked at work and still function.

Jake

Explain Mario Land 2.

We did get into it in the phone call. Not sure if it made the article. I believe that in this garbage joke canon, Mario Land 2 is post-Wario Ascendency, and Mario is going after him. You can see clear remains from the rise of Mario-turned-Wario littering the landscape, most notably Mario Zone, the giant robot automaton he built, now laying nearly-dormant.

I remembered hearing this on the Thumbs.

Saying "I can make money off this!" while listening to Idle Thumbs Mario/Wario theory must be trigger a suite of emotions that shouldn't end in "aaaaand posted!".

Kirk has been on Idle Thumbs a couple times and called and asked if he could write about it and also we talked on Skype about it for a half hour, which he quoted in the story. It's not like he's ripping anyone off.

Yeah this is the truth right here.

If they were the same guy, then who is Mario fighting at the end of Super Mario Land 2?
And who is grabbing the giant golden Peach statue at the end of Wario Land?

No, this is a theory I cannot get behind. The lore says otherwise.

I'm only a little serious

This theory fails to explain key tenets of the Mario Canon

1) Baby Wario exists in a distinct form from Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island DS. Who is this infant if it's not Wario/Corrupt Mario

2) The events of the groundbreaking Super Famicom title Mario & Wario

3) In Wario's appearances in WarioWare, he doesn't have a kingdom but rather resides in Diamond City, making attempts to run an exploitive game studio with acquaintances. The Mushroom Kingdom and its residents are nowhere to be seen. It's doubtful that a dictator like Wario could escape from a coup in the Mushroom Kingdom without being captured and executed for his crimes, and if did manage to seek political asylum in another nation, he surely would be an important political asset living in luxury or hiding in anonymity; given that he lives in a small home and plasters his name on video games, this seems highly suspect

Jake

1) Baby Wario exists in a distinct form from Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island DS. Who is this infant if it's not Wario/Corrupt Mario

2) The events of the groundbreaking Super Famicom title Mario & Wario

3) In Wario's appearances in WarioWare, he doesn't have a kingdom but rather resides in Diamond City, making attempts to run an exploitive game studio with acquaintances. The Mushroom Kingdom and its residents are nowhere to be seen. It's doubtful that a dictator like Wario could escape from a coup in the Mushroom Kingdom without being captured and executed for his crimes, and if did manage to seek political asylum in another nation, he surely would be an important political asset living in luxury or hiding in anonymity; given that he lives in a small home and plasters his name on video games, this seems highly suspect

Wait this can all be explained

ilT42e9.gif

None of the Mario games involving the Mushroom Kingdom actually happen. Mario is a regular middle aged man who tried to spice up his life by buying a gorilla. The gorilla then destroyed the construction site Mario was working on, costing him his job and forcing him to take up plumbing to pay the damages. When the court ordered that he was no longer allowed to have an exotic pet and it was released back to its natural habitat, Donkey Kong Island, Mario started to retreat into a fantasy life. He imagined that he could disappear into the pipes and appear in a magical world, where there were princesses to rescue, bad guys to beat, and there's always a nice big cake waiting for him at the end.

Wario reflects the perception Mario has of his real world self. An overweight, selfish, greedy slob. Mario creates this exaggerated image of Wario to dissociate from his own flaws. He can't be any of these things because, if he really was, he would be Wario instead of himself.

This and webrunner pointing out Wario is really extreme Mario are both more entertaining and on point than the Kotaku article.

Toxi

Banned

This can all be easily explained: The Wario in WarioWare is actually the son of the original Wario, who is currently living in hiding disguised as Jimmy T.

Yep. Especially given Wario's origins (the dev team being sick of Mario), this checks out.

Top Bottom