• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Richie

It's great to read impressions from you guys. I don't think I've seen a definite answer to this, though; for those of you who downloaded the game, are the loading times still the atrocious 30-seconds-to-more-than-the-minute that we've heard from retail copies?

It's great to read impressions from you guys. I don't think I've seen a definite answer to this, though; for those of you who downloaded the game, are the loading times still the atrocious 30-seconds-to-more-than-the-minute that we've heard from retail copies?

They are long, yes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I'm playing off HDD and yes, the primary loading of the overworld is 30-60 seconds. There's a progress bar on the gamepad screen itself for these official "primary loads", to track that with.

Fortunately, once it loads missions go on for quite some time before there's another big loading sequence, in most cases. So it's not Sonic 2006 degrees of loading for a minute between every game state. But it's not really acceptable, Traveller's Tales.

It kinda feels as if TT's engine has no proper streaming technology, so every time they load the game world they fill up the system ram with almost everything at once, then go.

CoolS

If the US version has American Spanish and American French it's very likely the EU version
will have all the mayor EU languages (although this is not always true).
However, this time i'm pretty sure the EU version will be fully dubbed as i recall having seen a commercial with Spanish voiceovers on youtube.

Do you mean that the US version has dubs or subtitles?

I'm sure the European version will have subtitles but I would love to be stuck with the German dub. It might be good but no way does it sound as good as the english and I just know that the jokes won't be as fun. That's why I have my preorder on Amazon UK

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Anybody have any luck finding the retail version? I'm swinging by Best Buy after class... even though they told me Wednesday at the earliest. :p

Krakatoa

The loading times for me are around the 30 second mark. I am not sure if that's quicker or the same as the retail disk.

Also when the game gets going the load times are not that big of a factor. Most of the time when you load a section you are going to be in that section for a while before needing to load again. I guess I could see how it could become really annoying if you kept wanting to jump back to the police station because this requires loading.

Did anyone else see the cheat system on the Police computer? I wonder what cheats we will get :).

I've turned on the stud doubler and now I have to go out of my way to not get the city hero on any story mission, where before I did that I would have had to spend a significant time hunting studs down to achieve that.

I was enjoying it last night, so much so that I got the red gamepad battery light for the first time since launch. I'm not fond of the driving sensitivity, though. It feels like it's tuned for tapping d-pad steering. (like PS1 games.)

A pretty good blend of both open world stuff and the confined puzzles from the rest of the LEGO games.

A feud...... Really..... Ugh....that sucks

No one's been able to "officially" comment on it, but it sounded like it had to do with Nintendo's policy of not allowing them to return unsold stock. Amazon barely even had Wii U systems listed at launch, only through their 3rd party sellers.

Litri

Do you mean that the US version has dubs or subtitles?

I'm sure the European version will have subtitles but I would love to be stuck with the German dub. It might be good but no way does it sound as good as the english and I just know that the jokes won't be as fun. That's why I have my preorder on Amazon UK

I think the US version has both (subtitles can be selected in the game's main menu), i recall having seen it on some of the early walkthroughs but i'm not sure. There's plenty of space on the disc so i won't rule out that you can select any EU language (in the EU version) with their respective voiceovers (would be cool)... guess we will know soon.

No one's been able to "officially" comment on it, but it sounded like it had to do with Nintendo's policy of not allowing them to return unsold stock. Amazon barely even had Wii U systems listed at launch, only through their 3rd party sellers.
It wasn't unsold stock as far as what we were able to find out on our own but 3DSes that Amazon wanted to return to Nintendo as defective because of the screen scratching issue. Nintendo said it wasn't a defect and the battle began. The only official word we got from either side was from an Amazon rep stating that they wanted to sell Nintendo products if Nintendo would send them stock so from that we've assumed it's Nintendo that's still pissed. You can catch up on the GAF sleuthing in one of the many Amazon / Nintendo threads from last year.
well that really sucks...

I got it with a 20$ off coupon and if i cancel my order i lose the 20$ coupon.. Well good to know for next time I suppose.
It sucks for a lot of us that used to VG shop exclusively at Amazon. Neither Newegg or BestBuy has proven to be anywhere near as reliable as Amazon was when it comes to meeting shipment dates.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It wasn't unsold stock as far as what we were able to find out on our own but 3DSes that Amazon wanted to return to Nintendo as defective because of the screen scratching issue. Nintendo said it wasn't a defect and the battle began. The only official word we got from either side was from an Amazon rep stating that they wanted to sell Nintendo products if Nintendo would send them stock so from that we've assumed it's Nintendo that's still pissed. You can catch up on the GAF sleuthing in one of the many Amazon / Nintendo threads from last year.

well that really sucks...

I got it with a 20$ off coupon and if i cancel my order i lose the 20$ coupon.. Well good to know for next time I suppose.

Called every store today Walmart, Kmart, gamestop, Hastings, Bestbuy. No one has this game. Looks like another limited release then. WTF is up with Nintendo and getting games shipped out lately?

SuperPac

Picked my copy up at Target today - I checked Target.com to find a store that listed it as in stock, went there and they had it (had just gotten it, apparently).

Called every store today Walmart, Kmart, gamestop, Hastings, Bestbuy. No one has this game. Looks like another limited release then. WTF is up with Nintendo and getting games shipped out lately?

NOA is severely under estimating demand with that they deem to be second tier titles like Fire Emblem and now Lego City.

Just spoke to my GameStop and the manager actually called the TX warehouse for an update. They'll hopefully have copies in-store by Thursday, just like Fire Emblem. I may actually just go to the local Target if they receive the game first.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pretty much convinced that nintendo botches release dates on purpose to further their newfound digital agenda. Well, I refuse to play ball.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Worry that despite my best-laid plans I am not going to be able to find a Target in my area that has this, NFS, and MonHun. Sucks a lot, cuz that deal was too good to pass up...

Damn, I went to bed yesterday with the turn off option after downloading and when I wake up, the system was shut down and at 27%.

Is there a way around this?

32% really slow, I have 4mb line.

Damn, I went to bed yesterday with the turn off option after downloading and when I wake up, the system was shut down and at 27%.

Is there a way around this?

32% really slow, I have 4mb line.
I've run into this issue too, I'm going to try the static IP trick when I get home to see if it helps. I also do unattended downloads on PS3 and 360 and I've never had it happen on either of those systems.

Does MS have a patent on downloads while the system is off? I thought Nintendo advertised this as a feature but I've never seen it on Wii U.
Don't use the turn off option.
Will the download eventually start again if interrupted with the turn off option disabled?

But do I need to do something in the options, or just dont click on that option in the download management screen?

As far as I'm aware, the system has an auto-off feature if idle for a certain amount of time. Maybe this is causing an issue with the 'turn-off-when-download-is-finished' feature?

As far as I'm aware, the system has an auto-off feature if idle for a certain amount of time. Maybe this is causing an issue with the 'turn-off-when-download-is-finished' feature?

Thanks!! I just went to the settings and turned the auto power setting to off.

Should be playing by now, arghhh!

CrisKre

This game is real quality. Hated all other lego games, but this clicked with me for some reason. The open world nature of the title makes it a blast to play, it looks great and is just filled with things to do.
This is like an (inner) child's stream come true. It really is like having all the Legos in the world come to life.

Pretty much convinced that nintendo botches release dates on purpose to further their newfound digital agenda. Well, I refuse to play ball.
Because that really explains why the same thing happened when Nintendo started to move away from Sunday release dates for some DS games, like Kirby and Professor Layton. It's not really a new phenomenon--it''s just that in recent times, it's started happening to games the core actually cares about having day 1, but it's really been happening for a while now. Best theory: the release dates for such games are really the dates Nintendo starts shipping them out to most stores and isn't the actual retail release date. In any case, just never trust a Nintendo game that claims to release on a day other than Sunday, because it probably won't be in most stores day 1 if that's the case.

Pyrokai

My local Target had this in stock today no problems. Very excited to play it. Picked it up not too long ago (along with Tetrix Axis and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection) for just $25 total. Used my $50 gift card I got with my Wii U purchase! :)

Will be playing later tonight. Can't wait.

bryehn

I asked this yesterday but it was buried amongst people's download progress. When/how to you get the key card that allows you to buy red bricks? I've unlocked 5 in addition to the ones you start with and wanna use them.

Orca

Asked about it at Walmart, seeing it wasn't out, and they had it behind the counter. The flyer says people can come in for it tomorrow - so they assumed the release date was tomorrow.

I pulled up the release date on Wikipedia and nintendo.com and they allowed me to buy it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game is real quality. Hated all other lego games, but this clicked with me for some reason. The open world nature of the title makes it a blast to play, it looks great and is just filled with things to do.
This is like an (inner) child's stream come true. It really is like having all the Legos in the world come to life.

After playing more, I agree, and I even liked the other Lego games.

This one seems distinctly aimed a little higher than the others; just a bit more complex, more stuff to think about and experiment with. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's influence here informed TT that yes, kids can handle a little more than given credit for. It's alright to turn the game up a notch.

Came in here to complain about my pre-order from Best Buy having not even shipped yet but looks like others are having issues getting physical copies of the game as well. I usually buy digital but I had some Reward Zone certificates I wanted to use :/

deviljho

Now I have this game so my cousin can come over an play it. But I won't be playing it for a long time cause I'm so anal about going through backlog in order. I've realized that I own more games than I've played. :/

J.W.Crazy

I just picked this and NFS up at Bestbuy. Went to Target first to get the b2g1 deal but they said they didn't think they were getting Lego City until tomorrow. Bestbuy had it on the shelf, behind Madden, but then I had to wait around at check out while they figured out how to sell it to me because it wasn't in the system yet. I went home with a receipt for NFS and Just Dance 4. The lady said they'll do an exchange tomorrow or Thursday when it's in the system so their inventory is right.

They don't price match b2g1 but I'm not really bothered since I didn't know what my 3rd game was going to be anyway.

deviljho

I just picked this and NFS up at Bestbuy. Went to Target first to get the b2g1 deal but they said they didn't think they were getting Lego City until tomorrow. Bestbuy had it on the shelf, behind Madden, but then I had to wait around at check out while they figured out how to sell it to me because it wasn't in the system yet. I went home with a receipt for NFS and Just Dance 4. The lady said they'll do an exchange tomorrow or Thursday when it's in the system so their inventory is right.

They don't price match b2g1 but I'm not really bothered since I didn't know what my 3rd game was going to be anyway.

If you return NFS tomorrow for Lego, you can get it from EA/Origin today for $30 with free shipping. Click the link in the OP.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526386

THERE IS A WAY TO SAVE WITHOUT DOING A STORY MISSION OR FINDING A SPECIAL ITEM

All you have to do is enter one of the 17 disquise booths across LEGO City. Press B to exit and the game saves your progress.

Zero148

this game saves the game for each account individually, doesn't it? So not like Mario or Nintendoland one save for all accounts?

Top Bottom