• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about sexualized men in gaming and lack of diverse body types

Kilau

butthole.jpg

ngower

I dunno, I'd be down with less/no sexualization in general. I don't think making men more sexualized in an exploitative or male gaze way is the solution.

(And I'm gay before some charge is levied against me of being uncomfortable with men's bodies)

Lol, plenty of people lambast Cidney because her design is awful too.

People talk shit about Vaan because his utterly bizarre abs

You must not read many FF15 threads.
Who's handwaving Cindy? Literally every thread featuring her was derailed into a heated sexualization discussion, peppered with posts about how her design was "fucking gross" etc.

He's shit on for being a shit character, and one of the least interesting members of the part, which makes the focus on him all the more frustrating. And Cindy's design is constantly shit on as well. When your argument relies on you bending the facts, it's off to a bad start
There's a difference here though:

Outcry got Vaan's design changed in the sequel whereas Cidney's design stays the same. This isn't even the first instance in which this has happened either in Final Fantasy. http://kotaku.com/square-changes-final-fantasy-character-to-show-less-but-1695940250

Square made it a point to change his design because of fan outcry.

However, when questioned about Cindy's design, the character designer had this to say:
And then as if to add insult to injury Director Hajime Tabata said that "Cindy was not meant to be an erotic character, but energetic and outgoing, and he didn't want to change the current concept. He talked about moderating the way she's presented, rather than covering her up".

There's a difference here though:

Outcry got Vaan's design changed in the sequel whereas Cidney's design stays the same.

I wasn't aware there was a sequel to FF15. Could you post pics of it? I must've missed it. Also the designer's opinions =/= fan opinions. From the first time Cindy was shown people complained about her design.

Not to mention there's nothing unique about Vaan's design in FF. Glados has an open shirt design. So do Tidus, and Waka, and Barrett and Sephiroth and numerous other male characters in the series.

Replicant

Nah. I like my men with decent amount of muscles and good-looking face.

EDIT: Nice ass but without nice face = useless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Square made it a point to change his design because of fan outcry.

However, when questioned about Cindy's design, the character designer had this to say:

Ah... Square's response. True. I thought you meant on GAF. I would say she got a bucketload of shit for her design around here.

I wasn't aware there was a sequel to FF15. Could you post pics of it? I must've missed it
Really?

The generations are different, it's not as easy to change things like that through patches because FF12 is a PS2 game.

In this day and age, it would have been pretty easy to change her design somewhat if we're going to go by backlash from the fanbase. This was evidenced when the Mobius design was changed after backlash. Therefore, if there was a significant amount of backlash against Cidney's design then Square could have done something to change it. That's not the case though, they doubled down on her design and outright defended it.

dayum they got banned :O, the topic was worthwhile, too bad the pics got them in trouble.

I'll take this moment to praise Horizon. There is some variation in body type: character name spoilers:

Olin, Erend, Varl, Teb.

Top Bottom