• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about sexualized men in gaming and lack of diverse body types

That's because that's in Dissidia where he does look good. This is how he looked in FFXII:

3194368-0748034558-22sm5.jpg

I guess what they were going for is he's so impoverished you can see his ribs, but man the execution could not have been creepier.

MoonFrog

Tbh. I'm always surprised I didn't notice how disgusting Vaan's texture was at the time. I didn't finish XII, but I did put 10-20 hours into it.

I think it was his face that disturbed me back then.

MrFixIt

I actually have a somewhat serious answer. The old Rock Band games had had variety when creating characters, now the only option is Skinny. Not like it's a deal breaker or anything, but I've always made characters that look like my friends and I, RB4 took that away from me!

Crayon

I guess what they were going for is he's so impoverished you can see his ribs, but man the execution could not have been creepier.

His abs remind me of an engine block shredder.

n73nvYU.gif

I think I get what they where going for with it given the limitation of ps2 textures. I really never batted an eye at vaan. He made sense to me. I would consider him mildy sexualized.

AESplusF

Tbh. I'm always surprised I didn't notice how disgusting Vaan's texture was at the time. I didn't finish XII, but I did put 10-20 hours into it.

I think it was his face that disturbed me back then.

His abs remind me of an engine block shredder.

n73nvYU.gif

I think I get what they where going for with it given the limitation of ps2 textures. I really never batted an eye at vaan. He made sense to me.

Well in case you missed it, they fixed them.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Vaan's in game abs are bizarre, but it's the CG promo art that people post when they show distaste for the character design. JRPG Aladdin was too much for the western world.

I'm also going to go ahead and say that most people on GAF probably have no idea what male sexualization would look like if it were equivalent to anything we see on the female side.

But the after looks better tho

Many female designs would as well.

wabjc

Neo Member
So the thread survived the death of the OP. But anyway I like this topic. The jontron stuff made me remember when that jackass used Kratos as an example of a sexualized male video character. A bare chest isn't really the same as a bare ass. I don't think there are many (any?) sexualized men, none clearly meant to be wank-bait like so many female characters are. Gay men are a small population, clearly, but wouldn't straight women like a man meat display?

The FF mevius thing was interesting because they way they dressed him up was exactly like the goofy way women are designed, the design felt more feminine because of that. And Vaan's abs always seemed to be noticeably bad. When the game first came out I remember a classmate of mine talking about how his abs looked like they were strips of tape.

I think it's important to clarify that muscles alone are not really that much in the way of male sexualization. I'm not saying that it counts for nothing or its not sometimes evidence of using male sexual appeal to sell games, but it's not really much on its own.

I also want to make sure that my posts in this thread don't reflect a desire to see equivalent male sexualization, but rather, are in response to "see? males are sexualized too" comments I've seen over the past few years.

lenovox1

seriously, have his pants a little lower please. This thread disappointed me.

I'll take this time to say that some of the Until Dawn men were attractive ;-).

the clown obviously

Hmm, his pants are so high, they cover his belly button.

So this is what straight men think other people think is attractive, huh.

I don't think this is as gratuitous as female characters though.

I feel like a better example would be something like Chris Redfield's DLC costumes
I feel like Chris' costumes were more jocular than anything.

The same way that although characters like Kratos or naked Raiden might be showing more skin, Gladiolus is clearly designed to be sexually appealing.

Hedge

Hah, awh I missed the links. :p

I can't recall playing anything other than a lean and muscular man and woman though. :(

Gladio has the flattest of ass, so he barely counts at all.

Give me the T H I C K men though, there's a serious lack of that in games. Make it Big Boy Season™.

redcrayon

Vaan was placed as the lead of FFXII because of focus testing his sex appeal to the general female Japanese gamer demographic. In literally every thread, he's shit on for his "shoddy design." Conversely, within the same series, Cindy's equally laughable design is handwaved.
I didn't like Vaan's design because wearing scraps of metal on bare skin combined with black leather trousers and metal boots/greaves seems like a particularly dumb choice of outfit for someone living in a desert. For a poor street kid, wouldn't some softer, lighter clothing have been better than scraps of heavy armour/jewellery?

Not too fussed about his abs on show/waistcoat, reminds me of Aladdin, that's cool.

Top Bottom