• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about sexualized men in gaming and lack of diverse body types

T.O.P

Banned
Meh only good bod was Nick in Dead Rising 3 (hot Ryu wasn't awful as well)

There's an overwhelming quantity of twinks wich I can't fuckin stand tho

But in the end who fuckin cares for videogames lol

9-zara-love-your-curves-Twitter-Search.clipular.jpg

Is this real??
Holy shit if real. That's pretty disturbing. Not that these women can't be proud of their "curves" but come the fuck on... they seem like two 13 year old kids who have not one ounce of fat.

Carcetti

Games are a fantasy

No one fantasises about having a dad bod, men nor women

To easily unlock one IRL, just eat crap and don't excerise

Movies, comics, and literature are all capable of telling stories beyond typical adolescent power fantasy while featuring realistic people with non-idealized bodies.

Are you saying games are inherently a more stupid and childish form of media than all of them? Kinda sad for gaming.

MsKrisp

Games are a fantasy

There is some evidence, right in this very thread, that people do fantasize about dad bods. Everything is sexy to somebody

Vaan was placed as the lead of FFXII because of focus testing his sex appeal to the general female Japanese gamer demographic. In literally every thread, he's shit on for his "shoddy design." Conversely, within the same series, Cindy's equally laughable design is handwaved.

I'm one guy who's always really loved Vaan's character design, even if he did end up being an afterthought in XII lmao. He's clearly sexualized though, and I'm sure a lot of his criticism stems from that. Seriously, what's wrong with his abs?

I've already talked about this at length on GAF before and don't feel like going through the whole spiel right now, but sufficed to say, yes we need more positive and overt portrayals of sexualized men in gaming. Of all shapes and sizes.

I tend to lean towards the muscular/jock/bara end when it comes to personal preference, but that's obviously not the only body type that needs and deserves recognition.

Positive portrayals of male sexuality, gay, straight, bi, etc. are crucial to the further evolution of the medium, and to ensure a more fun and inclusive environment. Exploring sexuality through gaming is great. There should be more of it, and the stigma attached to the productive aspects of this pursuit needs to be dropped.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is this real??
Holy shit if real. That's pretty disturbing. Not that these women can't be proud of their "curves" but come the fuck on... they seem like two 13 year old kids who have not one ounce of fat.

The curves point to their hipbones sticking through their skin

Famassu

What? People complain about Vaan because the modeling is awful, not because of their insecurity or whatever you're trying to get at
Eh? No. A lot of people complain because Vaan is an "effeminate, sissy androgynous teen", the inward abs of the in-game model are just an additional minus. Of course his somewhat non-consequential role in the larger narrative is also criticized by those who are a bit less superficial, judgmental & narrow-minded, but there is A LOT of ridicule about Vaan's outer appearance not being masculine enough that has nothing to do with his modeling.

RocBase

this thread has cured me of my depression (the last several pages anyway)

Eh? No. A lot of people complain because Vaan is an "effeminate, sissy androgynous teen", the inward abs of the in-game model are just an additional minus. Of course his somewhat non-consequential role in the larger narrative is also criticized by those who are a bit less superficial, judgmental & narrow-minded, but there is A LOT of ridicule about Vaan's outer appearance not being masculine enough that has nothing to do with his modeling.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Vaan's in game abs are bizarre, but it's the CG promo art that people post when they show distaste for the character design. JRPG Aladdin was too much for the western world.

Yup thanks for bringing this up. While it's true Vaan has been criticized for things other than his "jrpg pretty boy design", its disingenuous to claim that the aforementioned design aspect wasn't a huge part of the backlash he got.

There IS one recent example of a metric buttload of diverse male body types in gaming, Bastard Bonds.

Sure they're all 80x42 Sprites, but there are some DAMN sexy man pixels:

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-3.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-2.jpg

Cool thing is that the game has custom sprite support, too, so the possibilities are endless.

(Oh, and it's a great Tactical CRPG too, lol)

Spuck-uk

Banned
No, not really. Games tend to be about doing athletic things and running around, so it makes sense that the dudes tend to be ripped.

Also that second image balls, butthole and all is pretty far over the line even with the nsfw warning

'doing athletic things and running around' doesnt make you look like the cover of this months mens health, it makes you look lean and skinny.

Spuck-uk

Banned
"Power fantasy" type men are considered sexy by a great many straight women.

There's a reason why "women want him, men want to be him" became a saying. They're generally the same thing.

That saying was invented by men, for men. You get that, right?

Movies, comics, and literature are all capable of telling stories beyond typical adolescent power fantasy while featuring realistic people with non-idealized bodies.

Are you saying games are inherently a more stupid and childish form of media than all of them? Kinda sad for gaming.

Yeah, but it's pretty rare in movies and tv shows isn't it?

I disagree with him if he means they should look like 90s era comic book characters or conventional he man videogame characters, but he does have a point. A lot of movies and tv shows shouldn't have normal looking people and don't.

I think that is a related yet slightly different issue to the action figure looks of many videogame characters and comic books characters, that seems to be being put behind us a bit.

I've already talked about this at length on GAF before and don't feel like going through the whole spiel right now, but sufficed to say, yes we need more positive and overt portrayals of sexualized men in gaming. Of all shapes and sizes.

I tend to lean towards the muscular/jock/bara end when it comes to personal preference, but that's obviously not the only body type that needs and deserves recognition.

Positive portrayals of male sexuality, gay, straight, bi, etc. are crucial to the further evolution of the medium, and to ensure a more fun and inclusive environment. Exploring sexuality through gaming is great. There should be more of it, and the stigma attached to the productive aspects of this pursuit needs to be dropped.

Word :).

Originally Posted by Alter_Fridge

Games are a fantasy

Mate, you're awful.

There IS one recent example of a metric buttload of diverse male body types in gaming, Bastard Bonds.

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-3.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-2.jpg

Cool thing is that the game has custom sprite support, too, so the possibilities are endless.

Ok honestly this is great, more guys like this please.

orioto

Good Art™
Not really a dad bod but i was impressed how Daimon in KOF XIV has some slight fat on his belly button. It's note even fat but you can feel a certain thickness of the skin. That kind of level of realism in male body is realllly rare in videogames.

KOFXIV_daimonbeni2.jpg

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-3.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Bastard-Bonds-Pic-2.jpg

Bastard Bonds is really, really good. The developer of this has made other homoerotic games that include various body types as well.

Closest you're getting are Otome games. The majority of the western market is still straight males. That's not their thing so they don't make games that hold to your tastes.

Eh, even otome games suffer from 95% "lanky ectomorph" saturation. It's pretty rare to see chubby guys, for instance, I remember being upset that in one game with a dateable chubby guy he got skinny by the end of it.

That said I like Kinako's art, and she did designs for a JP-only otome game called Kyoukai no Shirayuki. They're all still slender pretty boys but you might as well take it to 11.

Top Bottom