• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about sexualized men in gaming and lack of diverse body types

oh no mine eyes of purity have gazed upon ye nudee male bits, i shan't recover from this...

There's a difference here though:

Outcry got Vaan's design changed in the sequel whereas Cidney's design stays the same. This isn't even the first instance in which this has happened either in Final Fantasy. http://kotaku.com/square-changes-final-fantasy-character-to-show-less-but-1695940250

Square made it a point to change his design because of fan outcry.

However, when questioned about Cindy's design, the character designer had this to say:
I don't think Vaan looking different in the sequel is a good point of comparison to them not changing the design of Cindy before release. FFX-2 featured new designs for past characters, same for FFXIII-2 and 3. Vaan wasn't bad because he was sexualized or something, he just looked stupid and had weird painted on leathery mutant abs.

Tyaren

I want to live in the timeline where Marvelous actually developed this title beyond an April Fools joke:

02d.jpg

They kinda did...

cacheImg

...it flopped. :/

oh no mine eyes of purity have gazed upon ye nudee male bits, i shan't recover from this...

I don't think Vaan looking different in the sequel is a good point of comparison to them not changing the design of Cindy before release. FFX-2 featured new designs for past characters, same for FFXIII-2 and 3. Vaan wasn't bad because he was sexualized or something, he just looked stupid and had weird painted on leathery mutant abs.
Here's the thing, though. Vaan looks just as stupid as gratuitously sexualized character designs like Quiet, Cindy, etc. But you don't have developers doubling down and defending their choices on male sexualization versus the sexualization of their female characters.

There was backlash against Yuna and Rikku's design as well, yes. But the developer isn't going to respond to it with anything other than apathy in comparison to when intentionally sexualized male designs are criticized.

well this was not what i expected and that second pic was definitely balls

i came into this thread thinking it would be a whataboutism trying to discredit critique of female representation and that was... not what we got lmao

Vaan was placed as the lead of FFXII because of focus testing his sex appeal to the general female Japanese gamer demographic. In literally every thread, he's shit on for his "shoddy design." Conversely, within the same series, Cindy's equally laughable design is handwaved.

The cindy being handwaved part of your post is a little fantasy of your own making.

Really?

The generations are different, it's not as easy to change things like that through patches because FF12 is a PS2 game.

In this day and age, it would have been pretty easy to change her design somewhat if we're going to go by backlash from the fanbase. This was evidenced when the Mobius design was changed after backlash. Therefore, if there was a significant amount of backlash against Cidney's design then Square could have done something to change it. That's not the case though, they doubled down on her design and outright defended it.

Dude Vaan has the same exact design in the HD remake and in Revenant Wings. The idea that outcry is what changed it in FFT: A2 is completely unsupported. Your point about Mobius is the only valid one

I can't tell if OP was being an idiot or somehow thought he was above following the TOS for some reason. Like what did he expect to happen?!

Here's the thing, though. Vaan looks just as stupid as gratuitously sexualized character designs like Quiet, Cindy, etc. But you don't have developers doubling down and defending their choices on male sexualization versus the sexualization of their female characters.

There was backlash against Yuna and Rikku's design as well, yes. But the developer isn't going to respond to it with anything other than apathy in comparison to when intentionally sexualized male designs are criticized.
But the thing with Vaan wasn't what he was wearing or anything, he just looked weird, and in a cast full of cool characters it was disappointing to have that goober given the spotlight despite the game actually putting the limelight on Ashe and Basch. They could've given Basch the attire and been better off (or not have Vaan looking like he just came out of a radioactive waste swim).

But I don't think we have too many examples of good male sexualization in the first place, let alone how the criticism for that is treated versus the criticism of female sexualization. For what it's worth though Square-Enix hasn't only changed Wol's look, but Bravely Default had design changes for the female characters when being localized.

Is the character of FF Mobius called Vaan as well?

Wasn't he Wal?

I mean Vaan from FFXII got changed from FFXII to FFTA2, or are they going to change it in the FFXII rerelease and I missed that somehow?

But the thing with Vaan wasn't what he was wearing or anything, he just looked weird, and in a cast full of cool characters it was disappointing to have that goober given the spotlight despite the game actually putting the limelight on Ashe and Basch. They could've given Basch the attire and been better off (or not have Vaan looking like he just came out of a radioactive waste swim).

But I don't think we have too many examples of good male sexualization in the first place, let alone how the criticism for that is treated versus the criticism of female sexualization. For what it's worth though Square-Enix hasn't only changed Wol's look, but Bravely Default had design changes for the female characters when being localized.

I think they mostly changed those BD looks not because the girls were overly sexualized but because they were underage.

Is the character of FF Mobius called Vaan as well?

Wasn't he Wal?

I mean Vaan from FFXII got changed from FFXII to FFTA2, or are they going to change it in the FFXII rerelease and I missed that somehow?

No, they aren't, because his new costume had absolutely nothing to do with "fan outcry", which had little to do with his costume in the first place, and everything to do with him being a lame

Dude Vaan has the same exact design in the HD remake and in Revenant Wings. The idea that outcry is what changed it in FFT: A2 is completely unsupported. Your point about Mobius is the only valid one

I can't tell if OP was being an idiot or somehow thought he was above following the TOS for some reason. Like what did he expect to happen?!
I brought Vaan up because the developers had a pattern in how they addressed male sexualization of their characters. When I look at the reception towards Vaan's design and his change in FFTA2 and compare it to what recently happened in Mobius, there's a lot of similarities there.

I was under the impression that they changed the skimpy clothing to avoid any problems with the ESRB. I think they changed the character's ages as well to avoid any further claims that they're promoting sexualization of minors in their video game. While I think that's a good example to refute my point, it's upsetting that they didn't take the same cues when responding to Cindy's unfortunate design.

Crayon

I never found Vaan strange looking.

latest

Hammerpants tucked into stainless motocross boots. Nipple vest. Cumberbun. Integrated turquoise talismans. Seems reasonable.

Weren't they aged up in the NA release anyway?
I mean yeah but they still look like kids

latest

Hammerpants tucked into stainless motocross boots. Nipple vest. Cumberbun. Integrated turquoise talismans. Seems reasonable.

I think the biggest problem was just how his abs looked. Like... I remember other characters having abs that didn't look like trapezoids in that game.

Kangi

Fragile straight guys hating Vaan's design for obvious reasons is a given, but not to the extent sometimes claimed. Does he get a suspicious amount of flak for his design given what series he belongs to? Yes. Do his abs look like diseased, leather-crusted, external ribs? Also yes.

Vaan was worse. He looked younger than Tidus by a few years but with even less clothing. Still a pretty boy tho

latest

It also works in context because the people of Ranabastre dress like that. All males are shirtless or wear those small vests and shirts. The only special trait of Vaan's attire were the metal parts.

AESplusF

Fragile straight guys hating Vaan's design for obvious reasons is a given, but not to the extent sometimes claimed. Does he get an unnecessary amount of flak for his design given what series he belongs to? Yes. Do his abs look like diseased, leather-crusted, external ribs? Also yes.

They actually bothered to redo them for the remaster, they look more natural now, and at the same time they were showing off fran's redone butt, equality is beautiful.

Platy

Fragile straight guys hating Vaan's design for obvious reasons is a given, but not to the extent sometimes claimed. Does he get a suspicious amount of flak for his design given what series he belongs to? Yes. Do his abs look like diseased, leather-crusted, external ribs? Also yes.

Which I why I usualy go for FF Mevius for the fragility of straight people. It even includes a "those sjw are censuring our games" type of plot twist !

LUFvSxB.jpg

48xhgyg.jpg

Top Bottom