• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Could-Walking-Dead-Daryl-Dixon-Gay-66760.html

I seriously would love to see the drama over this if it became true.

Damn, some of the comments on that page make me really sad. :( I don't really care one way or another if he's gay, but... harsh comments.

I'd say it's never too early or too late to be honest with yourself, as we all come from different environments where that may not be possible. But yeah, having people similar to oneself at those critical ages would have been nice. If it weren't for the internet, I probably wouldn't have known that other gay people actually existed. It's weird growing up in an environment where something like homosexuality isn't remotely acknowledged or discussed, even with it made into a boogeyman through criminalizing it through the legal system. (I guess I still bear those scars today in some way.) I thought one girl was cool in the 4th grade, but never anything more than that, and felt totally out of the loop when people had general attraction towards members of the opposite sex as we got older. I had a few years of self-hatred that culminated in some deep depression, but I never felt pressured to date women at least; I would have rather just been alone.

I wish I had been more honest with myself growing up. I was raised in a very homophobic environment, so the last thing I wanted to be was gay. I denied it for years even though I found myself looking at and fantasizing about guys in my classes - especially during high school. When friends started talking about thinking certain girls were hot, I'd look at those girls and feel absolutely nothing. I could have female friends (great ones actually), but that's the extent of my relationship with them. Trying to date girls was a mistake, but I felt pressured to because of some of my friends, and I was tired of my parents asking if I had any crushes on any of the girls in my grade. Obviously, the relationships ended and nothing ever came out of them. Similar to you, I also had a few years (well, I'd say more than a few) of self-hatred and deep depression - in particular during early college when I finally began to admit that I was gay. I was pretty miserable all the time and would get too drunk and make an ass of myself often. I was such a mess back then. I think the lowest point for me was when I was visiting home from college one weekend. My mom was supposedly talking hypotheticals, but she said she would never want a gay son. That really hit me hard and I dove deeper into depression. I eventually came out of it (thankfully), but even afterwards, it took me a long time to actually come out to my best friends. My family members still don't know. :/

eosos

Banned
Damn, some of the comments on that page make me really sad. :( I don't really care one way or another if he's gay, but... harsh comments.

I wish I had been more honest with myself growing up. I was raised in a very homophobic environment, so the last thing I wanted to be was gay. I denied it for years even though I found myself looking at and fantasizing about guys in my classes - especially during high school. When friends started talking about thinking certain girls were hot, I'd look at those girls and feel absolutely nothing. I could have female friends (great ones actually), but that's the extent of my relationship with them. Trying to date girls was a mistake, but I felt pressured to because of some of my friends, and I was tired of my parents asking if I had any crushes on any of the girls in my grade. Obviously, the relationships ended and nothing ever came out of them. Similar to you, I also had a few years (well, I'd say more than a few) of self-hatred and deep depression - in particular during early college when I finally began to admit that I was gay. I was pretty miserable all the time and would get too drunk and make an ass of myself often. I was such a mess back then. I think the lowest point for me was when I was visiting home from college one weekend. My mom was supposedly talking hypotheticals, but she said she would never want a gay son. That really hit me hard and I dove deeper into depression. I eventually came out of it (thankfully), but even afterwards, it took me a long time to actually come out to my best friends. My family members still don't know. :/

Fuck bro, I know what you mean. Especially in regards to dating girls to fit in and etc... I haven't come out to my family or most of my friends yet either. It's tough. I imagine that if you came out to your family they'd come around though. I mean, all of their pre conceived notions of gay people would probably be crushed. But hey, I'm still workin on that myself.

Good morning my awesome friends <33!! How are y'all? :3

El_Gato, boo, I haven't forgotten about posting a snippet of my EP! I promise I'll do it tonight! <333

Also, I finally finished up with this, and now I can't wait to cosplay at PAX!!! o____o
hT8qZ6e.jpg

El_Gato, boo, I haven't forgotten about posting a snippet of my EP! I promise I'll do it tonight! <333

Also, I finally finished up with this, and now I can't wait to cosplay at PAX!!! o____o

That looks well done! what are you cosplaying as?

Fuck bro, I know what you mean. Especially in regards to dating girls to fit in and etc... I haven't come out to my family or most of my friends yet either. It's tough. I imagine that if you came out to your family they'd come around though. I mean, all of their pre conceived notions of gay people would probably be crushed. But hey, I'm still workin on that myself.

I'm honestly not sure if my family would come around or not. My mom is DEEPY religious - it's like all she talks about, I swear. Listening to her talk about gay people is really painful and she doesn't hold back her thoughts about it. I do think her notions of gay people would be "crushed", but I don't know if it would be enough to change her mind about anything. *shrug* My dad isn't quite as religious as my mom, but he is basically a "country man" type person - big hunter. He definitely doesn't like gay people either. :( I don't know exactly how my brother feels about it - he'd be the next one I come out to (well, his wife first probably, then him). If anyone in my family would accept me, it'd be him. I think that's why I've put off telling him for so long because I know if he doesn't accept me, I have no chance at all with my parents (and that's a bit scary). I've come out to my three best friends and they have been great and supportive, but... I'd still like my family to know. :(

And obviously I demand pics after you've cosplayed.

Yaaaaas I was hoping you'd be online!! <3

I will do my very best for these pics!! Promise! :D

Last thing to figure out is the hair :S LOL. I feel like mine might not technically be long enough. I might take my own spin on it o_o

VegiHam

Yaaaaas I was hoping you'd be online!! <3

I will do my very best for these pics!! Promise! :D

Last thing to figure out is the hair :S LOL. I feel like mine might not technically be long enough. I might take my own spin on it o_o
You'd better. That bracelet looks awesome, way more detailed than anyone'd expect dude.

And I know nothing about hair. So I'm no use :p

You'd better. That bracelet looks awesome, way more detailed than anyone'd expect dude.

And I know nothing about hair. So I'm no use :p

Yayyy I'm really happy with the bracelet too!!! :D!!

LOLL it's gonna be interesting o___o! I usually just play Russian Roulette with my hair and see what happens LOL. Also.. My hair.. Kinda swoops up and to the side mostly like this:

And I'm not too sure if my hair on top is actually long enough to slick it back completely like Apollo does :S. Then I'll need a bum-load of hair spray for the two spikes LOL!! I might have to practice a couple times before I go there now that I think about it.. And choose between wax and gel X_X!

That looks great! :)
Love the cover too from a few pages back.
Can't wait to listen to it.

If you don't mind my asking, how come you didn't go to uni when you were younger?

I don't mind at all. I suppose the biggest reason is not knowing what the hell I wanted to do, back when I came out of high school I tried to study administration in college because my mum told me to, absolutely hated it and quit after three months, couldn't imagine doing that for the rest of my life. Then I got a job, which was supposed to be temporary until I figured out what to study, but that turned into years because I really liked it there and had a lot of fun with my co-workers, then the team changed and I quit to find something else, but I didn't have any luck, wasn't even getting invited for interviews, most likely because I don't have a degree, so figured it's time to get one. I'm going to study mediatechnology, so I'm gonna learn how to create websites, apps, even games, I have been doing that on an amateur level the past few years and thought it was fun.

So that's the story in short. I think it has its upsides as well, going to uni at this stage of my life, I'm not the insecure boy I was with the super low self-esteem. There seem to be other people in their twenties, so I'm not gonna be alone luckily.

That looks great! :)
Love the cover too from a few pages back.
Can't wait to listen to it.

Aww thank you so much!!!! <3!! I'm so glad to hear that I've gotten some approval! I can't wait to share it with everyone and I hope people like it :')

I don't mind at all. I suppose the biggest reason is not knowing what the hell I wanted to do, back when I came out of high school I tried to study administration in college because my mum told me to, absolutely hated it and quit after three months, couldn't imagine doing that for the rest of my life. Then I got a job, which was supposed to be temporary until I figured out what to study, but that turned into years because I really liked it there and had a lot of fun with my co-workers, then the team changed and I quit to find something else, but I didn't have any luck, wasn't even getting invited for interviews, most likely because I don't have a degree, so figured it's time to get one. I'm going to study mediatechnology, so I'm gonna learn how to create websites, apps, even games, I have been doing that on an amateur level the past few years and thought it was fun.

So that's the story in short. I think it has its upsides as well, going to uni at this stage of my life, I'm not the insecure boy I was with the super low self-esteem. There seem to be other people in their twenties, so I'm not gonna be alone luckily.
I think this is really respectable of you :). I think a lot of people feel parental pressure to go to uni right after high school just for the sake of being in uni. My parents are definitely like that, but we're all in a lucky situation because I'm one of those weirdos who loves school and stuff LOL!

But otherwise, I do think it's best to at least have a general idea before actually going. And I never really understood why people sometimes look down on people who start school later o__o! Mediatechnology sounds awesome, btw :3 I bet you'll do awesome!! <3

VegiHam

LOLL it's gonna be interesting o___o! I usually just play Russian Roulette with my hair and see what happens LOL. Also.. My hair.. Kinda swoops up and to the side mostly like this:

And I'm not too sure if my hair on top is actually long enough to slick it back completely like Apollo does :S. Then I'll need a bum-load of hair spray for the two spikes LOL!! I might have to practice a couple times before I go there now that I think about it.. And choose between wax and gel X_X!
Just shave and then buy a wig? That could work...

Kater

Banned

I was awake all night, just waiting for the snippet.

tv-reaction-misha-colsrlya.gif

Not true, I was awake because I watched that Monster Anime that Mumei was talking about. Can't wait for the snippet" :D

Kater

Banned

Here's Mr. F and I infront of a massive concave mirror at the Exploratorium!

It was a blast! :D ain't he so cute :>

kokoro_connect_11_4.png

Kater

Banned
Yaaaay I missed you!! :D

Lemon ginger! LOLL! I.. Have a pretty bad cold :'(

Wahhh.. I'm so sorry!!! ;___; I didn't mean to be behind the times! :'(

Missed you too. :D
How's FakeGAF by the way? Looked into that OT once and noticed that you post there. Was always curious to know what it is really about.

Oh that sucks, get well soon. Still, it's an excuse to drink nice tea.
And I guess it's OK. Carry on as you were.
Aww thank you!! I hope I can kick this cold really soon as well ;___;! My throat's burning LOL!

But yes! I looooove tea! I have some amazing loose leaf teas at home that I wish I had access to at work <3 LOL

And thank you for the forgiveness! I won't let you down anymore, promise! :D

Missed you too. :D
How's FakeGAF by the way? Looked into that OT once and noticed that you post there. Was always curious to know what it is really about.
<333

LOLL FakeGAF is a gong show :p. It's like.. Free-for-all posting. About pretty much whatever you want.. o____o. If it sounds like you'd be into that, then by all means ;D!

Kater

Banned
Aww thank you!! I hope I can kick this cold really soon as well ;___;! My throat's burning LOL!

But yes! I looooove tea! I have some amazing loose leaf teas at home that I wish I had access to at work <3 LOL

<333

LOLL FakeGAF is a gong show :p. It's like.. Free-for-all posting. About pretty much whatever you want.. o____o. If it sounds like you'd be into that, then by all means ;D!
Sounds like LGBT GAF though, haha.
Read that as dong show for a moment.
That's even better. :]

eosos

Banned

<333

I just had the woorst cold too. It sucked! But zinc and vitamin c helped me a lot. Was good in about two days. Dayquil is great too!

I just had the woorst cold too. It sucked! But zinc and vitamin c helped me a lot. Was good in about two days. Dayquil is great too!

Wahh I'm sorry you had to go through it too! :( It sucks! ;_;! Thank you for the tips! I've been using my juicer a bit (apple, lemon and ginger).. And it opens me up temporarily.. But I should probably use your suggestions to kill the bug permanently ;_; LOL! <3

Kater

Banned
Like the predominantly heterosexual version of it! Sort of!! LOL!!

I'm okay with that too. Hang out lots with heterosexual people. In fact, I don't have any friends that are LGBT. Well, besides all of you people here of course. <3

By the way, what do you think about Kipling handbags? They look amazing but I wonder how'd they look when worn. (They don't have them here and I couldn't find any pictures with models, that's why I ask)

Those colours. \(*~*)/

I'm okay with that too. Hang out lots with heterosexual people. In fact, I don't have any friends that are LGBT. Well, besides all of you people here of course. <3

By the way, what do you think about Kipling handbags? They look amazing but I wonder how'd they look when worn. (They don't have them here and I couldn't find any pictures with models, that's why I ask)

Those colours. \(*~*)/

Me too actually! I have very few LGBT friends irl when I think about it o___o. But I'm so happy to know you amazing people <33333

Gasp. I'd probably wear that. Da brightness @_____@ :D

Kater

Banned
I don't know how familiar you are with the UK, but I have a new job with a newly opened Co-op store.

Congratulations on the job then. And sorry for my unfunny jokes.
Your Avatar is just too quotable in almost any context.

Me too actually! I have very few LGBT friends irl when I think about it o___o. But I'm so happy to know you amazing people <33333

Gasp. I'd probably wear that. Da brightness @_____@ :D
Very few is better than none.

Agreed on the handbag, it looks gorgeous. I just have to see it worn by a model before I buy it.

Rayis

It's so much fun having a voice changer that makes your voice sound female, I can do duets with myself and all, I've sang Love is an Open Door with myself, forever alone version~

Congratulations on the job then. And sorry for my unfunny jokes.
Your Avatar is just too quotable in almost any context.

Very few is better than none.

Agreed on the handbag, it looks gorgeous. I just have to see it worn by a model before I buy it.
Haha! I should probably just change it to "none". I have a few acquaintances.. But I don't hang out with them regularly or anything LOL!

Yaaaas I would like to see it on a model as well!!

It's so much fun having a voice changer that makes your voice sound female, I can do duets with myself and all, I've sang Love is an Open Door with myself, forever alone version~
Omfg I wanna do this!! How?! Where?! LOLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom