• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie Showcase Announced for Tomorrow (Posters Revealed)

Fake

I feel like Next Level Games capture Luigi personality in Luigi's Mansion 3 better than this movie.

I watched the full trailer, looks like Mario will rescue Luigi? Luigi take the princess role lmao.

Gotta have the hero's journey y'know.

Totally expected a girl boss moment from Peach, but the halberd was a bit much.

Yeah. I was expecting a silly weapon, maybe from the Mario vs Rabitts franchise.

Last edited:

ssringo

Watched the trailer and didn't smile once. The humor wasn't really doing it for me and the "laugh here now" moments are eye rolling. I will admit that the corner of my mouth wanted to twitch upward at the end with the jump sound and "wahoo" but couldn't quite get there. I'm old and cynical though so it's definitely not for me.

The movie will probably clear a billion dollars easily though.

Reactions: Fuz

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I watched the full trailer, looks like Mario will rescue Luigi? Luigi take the princess role lmao.
This movie going to be typical western CG cartoon in Mario universe, with funny moments in beginning, sad moments in middle, hero moment in finale.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Emedan

I just can't get used to that Mario voice, neither Luigi's for that matter. All the years we heard the game voices and hearing something so.....generic is just disappointing. Black as Bowser is awesome though.

It's clear that Peach won't be some helpless princess here. Also....where are the Goombas?
I mean come on, they've basically been silent characters all these years, I honestly can't understand the people complaining about the VOs. Also this about Mario not immediately being a bad ass, it's a fish out of water story no? They will get sucked into this world starting out as just normal plumbers. Jeez you guys are cynical :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stafford

I mean come on, they've basically been silent characters all these years, I honestly can't understand the people complaining about the VOs. Also this about Mario not immediately being a bad ass, it's a fish out of water story no? They will get sucked into this world starting out as just normal plumbers. Jeez you guys are cynical :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What can I say? Ever since like what...Mario 64 he's had the voice, it has become iconic. At the least Mario could have had some kind of accent, not hearing it. It should have been Charles Martinet, for damn sure. Some say it wouldn't have worked, hearing that voice all the time, I disagree.

MiguelItUp

Everything is good except for Peach Mario's voice. That's bad.
Honestly, I think everyone sounds great. But I still can't get into Chris Pratt's voice here. It almost sounds so phoned in and emotionless in some parts of these trailer to me.

Movie looks great though! I love all the nods!

Last edited:

nikos

Peach does look weird/bad. Think it has to do with her eyes being so big and her lips looking like they've been injected. Don't like her voice either.

Aside from that, it looks good.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Just saw the trailer. Looks pretty interesting. Didn't expect many game element in the movie, but I was smiling when they used the falling block in the training scene.

Holammer

Mario fans too scared to demand a better movie lol. Sonic fans threatened Hollywood and got an amazing movie out of it
It's bad, but not that bad. I give the movie a weak thumbs up for the scene where Donkey Kong goes apeshit on Mario.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Movie looks great. Chris pratt sounds great too. I like the new dk design, its a cool mix of rare and his og design. Also, cant help but laugh at era as they falsely try to paint Pratt as a bigott, and cry that no one outside of their bubble will listen to them.

Last edited:

Holammer

The French dub got the right Mario energy (again). Too bad it's French. Meanwhile the English speaking world get hot actor du jour phoning it in, rather than using the guy that voiced him since '96.

SirTerry-T

"What's wrong with your FAAACE!?"
Here's a quick edit giving Peach proportions similar to her in-game model. They scaled up her head and made it wider, removed a lot of volume from her hair. Rounded her usual almond eyes.
Even her brooch and earrings got scaled down, so everything screams wrong about it. I dare not reduce her waist by 10-20% in current year!

For reasons we can only speculate on, my best guess on post #26.

m7QVCnm.jpg
I keep seeing a slight Amy Poehler likeness in that Peach image for some reason.

shiru

Banned
That was seriously horrendous, which I already expected but jeez. Absolutely zero charm, shitty voice acting, the usual lame "humour" that consists of screaming and le zany jerky animation/character reactions that you've seen a thousand times in every modern animation movie, all the characters personalities have been replaced by generic tropes, Pratt Mario is so fucking lame and not how Mario is supposed to be, now Peach is more heroic than Mario? It completely misses the actual tone and charm of the Mario games. Might as well be a minions movie. Tough Princess Peach *groans*

Last edited:

Halcyon

I'm excited for this. It looks great and my daughter is getting a Switch for Christmas so she will be in a Nintendo frenzy by the time the movie releases.

freefornow

Gold Member
People need to let this shit go. It’s not happening. Pratt sounds fine. I’m excited after watching that trailer
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Chris for major speaking parts (his star power still attached to movie) and then Charles to provide all the iconic "expressive" sounds (keeps the loyal fans happy). Covers all studios bases for positive feedback and RT/MC scores.

Last edited:

trikster40

Gotta say, looks like a ton of fun. My kids are super excited, so we are definitely in. Pretty confident this movies gonna do very well.

Jada_Li

Banned
I'm so excited for this movie. So far there really isn't much, if anything, for me to complain about. I absolutely love Princess Peach and I'm so happy they took the route they did with her like back in the original cartoon from the late 80s to 90s. Back then she was a lot more self-reliant and even rescued herself a few times and met Mario and/or Luigi halfway. And it was a lot more interesting having her travel along with Mario, Luigi and bringing Toad too. Also, during their adventures she was helpful just like depicted briefly in the scene in the movie trailer, but I can tell she'll also be in on the fight too. Oh, my childhood memories...this movie is bringing so much old school and new school; I love it! It also seems to be strongly hinting there may be more movies and/or a sequel based on the different galaxies so Rosalina and other characters like Link and Zelda could show up. I'd love to see Splatoon inklings and octolings too. The potential is exciting for the future.

Ozzie666

I think overall it looked pretty high quality, voice acting seems fair enough too (Pratt is fine), animation on par with other top projects.

But seeing Donkey Kong slap around Mario was interesting and unexpected, more violent than I thought they'd go! Never thought Nintendo would allow Mario to get stomped like that.

Nintendo obviously taking great care with this project, unlike the movie from 30 years ago :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom