• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #2: Characters

Phamit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM

Have fun

Update:

Thx EatChildren, Lime and Tovarisc

gif5asgw.gif

Squad selection screen:

unavngivetf3sed.jpg

1LP2JwI.png

Did quick and dirty pass on video, most of valuable information is spoken by narrator of video.

Player skills

Lime

It's really weird seeing Cora running around in freezing temperatures in her default skin-tight suit and without a helmet

Luxorek

Calling this video 'characters' is a bit of a misleading move by marketing. I expected something focused on actual characters, instead I got 'Combat, part 2' - profiles, loadouts, abilities and speccing.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Interesting system. Not sold on it but certainly interesting. Swapping between profiles could prove worthwhile and strategic.

Companions having only 3 powers is certainly different and eliminates much of the need to control their powers. Still not sold on that either. Being able to tell then who to attack to trigger combos is cool but if they're popping of powers freely could prove annoying.

alt27

Calling this video 'characters' is a bit of a misleading move by marketing. I expected something focused on actual characters, instead I got 'Combat, part 2' - profiles, loadouts, abilities and speccing.

The video series is called the 'Gameplay' series

And this game is looking better and better with every video I see. Love the combos and loadout choices here

lazerfox

I'm actually glad they don't reveal too much. I actually wanted to skip all of those videos to go in fresh but I can't resist.

black070

It looks so damn fun to actually play, I'm slowly starting to get more and more hyped for this. I loved the Mass Effect trilogy, so I'll definitely be in for this.

Sou Da

Interesting system. Not sold on it but certainly interesting. Swapping between profiles could prove worthwhile and strategic.

Companions having only 3 powers is certainly different and eliminates much of the need to control their powers. Still not sold on that either. Being able to tell then who to attack to trigger combos is cool but if they're popping of powers freely could prove annoying.

I'd imagine you want to turn off squad power usage in this one then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So the active adept profile perk is replacing the jetpack dodge and jump with a biotic skill, not unlike the biotic dodging in ME3's multiplayer.

Am I the only one who sees the combat slow and clumsy?
Enemies do move really slow and they don't look for cover or anything,they just stay there absorbing your bullets...looks really bad in my opinion.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So its not choosin individual powers for your squad but you can indeed set up combos with them.

I never bothered with combos much in the earlier games but they seem to really be pushing it as a mechanic.

RefigeKru

Banned
Enemies do move really slow and they don't look for cover or anything,they just stay there absorbing your bullets...looks really bad in my opinion.

I see what you mean although there will probably be faster enemies and more difficult combinations which might give the player pause, especially on high difficulty.

Mostly it seems that the players mobility and abilities just dwarf that of the enemies shown so far. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

From some personal hands-on, the enemies can be relentless and tough as hell. I bet Mac was playing on "narrative" difficulty here to specifically show off the mechanics and not bother with actually fighting to survive.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh.

Gonna be kind of odd if we hit higher levels, and the companions are just sitting there with a whole bunch of level points they can't spend.

Also, if it's really just AI decision-making for the use of biotics, they'd better be way better at that decision-making.

At least the Favorites button also auto-switches profiles, that'd be a pain if it didn't.

Thanks, this shows you can change members in the field right?

I'm guessing it's somewhat similar to DA:I, where you're limited to certain 'base' regions of the map (or maybe the nomad) in order to do so, but I don't think we know for sure.

edit:

Also, while I can't be sure if didn't get destroyed manually, if it didn't, the second the profile switches, the assault drone looks like it explodes.

Probably a good idea to avoid stacking battlefield modifiers, I suppose.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
OK video, but I'm really interested in seeing the next one about exploration. That short clip at the end gave me some bad memories of ME2-3 planet scanning though lol.

Adryuu

That is actual uncut shooting gameplay for a full encounter. Are we happy yet?

I still want fifteen minutes of uncut galaxy map to space travel to tempest to mako to walking with banter to shooting to npc conversation though. BW make this happen!

Shooting looks fine still anyway.

Sou Da

Also they really got this out early to beat the previews huh?

Cora is one letter away from being a Capcom game.

OK video, but I'm really interested in seeing the next one about exploration. That short clip at the end gave me some bad memories of ME2-3 planet scanning though lol.

Yeah, only a good exploration element will make me buy this game. I just want to explore big open planets. Different areas with lots of interesting corners to discover.
I loved DA:I because of the exploration and the beautiful environments.

There are different difficulty levels in ME. When showing off the skills of the player you want the enemies to be predictable if not stationary targets so you can show off exactly what you want in your video.

Weird title for the video. Combat keeps looking better and better, at this point though I just want to see some exploration, thankfully that's the next video.

Thanks, this shows you can change members in the field right?

I'm guessing it's somewhat similar to DA:I, where you're limited to certain 'base' regions of the map (or maybe the nomad) in order to do so, but I don't think we know for sure.

My biggest wish for Bioware games going forwards is for them to find a way to take all characters into battle. They don't have the excuse of "it would be too difficult for the game to render all the characters at once" these days, yet we keep up this tacit agreement to pretend it makes sense to only take two or three companions with us at a time in Bioware games.

"Alistair, Morrigan, Dog, come with me to help defend Redcliff from an invading undead army. Sten, Wynne, Lelianna, Shale, Zevran, Oghren, you guys toast some marshmallows around the fire until we get back."

I was SO happy during Mass Effect 2's grand finale, the suicide mission, because the game found a way to utilize ALL of the companions in that final battle. Even though I only had two in my party, they all made their presence felt, and they were all contributing to the task at hand in a believable way. And until Bioware can figure out a way to make that happen throughout most of a game, their "Bioware model" for game design will continue to feel slightly archaic and stuck in a rut to me. It's like they can't think out of the box any more. Their games will always have multiple companions, with most of them being told to do nothing at all for large chunks of the game for no logical reason other than "vidya games", and their stories will consist of a linear beginning, a multi-choice mid-section, and a linear end.

As much as I love the worlds they create, I'm getting worried with their approach to game design.

Top Bottom