• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Squire

Banned
I'm not sure it's down to the writing. I'm guessing here they made this design decision WAY back, and wrote a lighter story to accompany it.

I mean, you usually don't write the whole story first in a video game. Trey Parker and Matt Stone talked about it. When they tried to write the story of South Park Stick of Truth first, it ended up being a problem. Basically the mechanical design of the game had to contort itself around the script.

I think people at Valve talked about this approach, too. That story develops organically based on what kind of game you want to make. (Which is also why the HL3 story is possibly lost forever because Laidlaw won't be around to develop it.)

I know all of that, but I very much doubt it's as cut/dry for the studios that make games where the narrative is largely the key appeal for the core audience that you can more or less bank on buying the game. BioWare knows BioWare fans play their games for the characters and stories first and foremost and EA knows that, too. That's why they're still one of very few studios in this industry to have an actual, full-time writing team. My expectation is they do quite a bit in service to their narrative rather than the other way around. I'm not saying a script dictates everything, but I do think their games probably occupy a space very solidly in the middle.

GavinUK86

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Bilder-aus-dem-Science-Fiction-Epos-1024x576-52165b6f9ec1d18f.jpg

Okay, you got me, those eyes are lips are adorable. Best shot of Sara yet. Oh and thank god hair looks a little more like actual hair this time around. Thank you Frostbite.

It's kind of relieving that Andromeda won't have the additional defense difficulty system from ME2, which honestly was my greatest gripe with that game. In Me2 on Insanity, adepts were damn near useless as it was easier and quicker to simply shoot your way through than use powers, especially since by the time you got an enemy down to health he would only be a few bullets away from death anyways. It also made many of the squadmates kinda useless (Tali, Jack, Jacob), while making Miranda practically mandatory due to her ability to strip any defense. In fact, it's part of why I feel weapon builds were simply the best options in ME2 as they could basically deal with any defense no problem compared to powers.

Did Bioware tweak default femRyder's face or is it the angle? Looks better than before.
Was kinda unfair the male PC was getting the better default face yet again.

And I really hope the newest human companions don't not suffer the same boring personality as previous companions.

Davide

Why stop there? Let's get Riz Ahmed and Alden Ehrenreich too!
(Serious!)
Sounds good actually.

The original trilogy had Seth Green, Martin Sheen, and Yvonne Strahovski, does this one have any stars? Mass Effect's the type of series where serious movie actors can be included more than others.

Mads Mikkelsen, Diego Luna, Robin Wright, Kate Mara, Kevin Spacey, Matt Smith, Donald Glover, Forest Whitaker, why not.

The Illusive Man wouldn't have been such a success without Sheen. Although I wonder how it would have gone with Spacey instead.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sounds good actually.

The original trilogy had Seth Green, Martin Sheen, and Yvonne Strahovski, does this one have any stars? Mass Effect's the type of series where serious movie actors can be included more than others.

Mads Mikkelsen, Diego Luna, Robin Wright, Kate Mara, Kevin Spacey, Matt Smith, Donald Glover, why not.

So far I think Clancy Brown as Dad Ryder is the most famous VA we know of.

Killzig

Clancy Brown is big. Don't know if he'll get to channel his creepy preacher character from Carnivale though. And Kumail Nanjiani is pretty well known these days I feel like.

Just played Arrival for the first time, Mass Effect sucks as a solo FPS. In DAI the AI was dumb as a rock but you could command them intensively, the If/When stuff from DAO was pretty great. Would still prefer a limited amount of control over the companions though.
Everytime i see default Alec it reminds me of old Ezio Auditore.
Can't unsee.

Bubble

Neo Member
I'm with you. After the Vivienne debacles in DA Inquisition, I thought they'll try again and make it right this time.

But nope, it's a black dude again. But wait, has it been confirmed that he's romanceable?

Agreed. If Vivienne had been a romance option in Inquisition, I would have romanced her on the spot, but of course she wasn't.

Maybe one of the flings in the game will include a female black character?

Denzar

Sounds like you're projecting.

Does seem like it, but I rarely encounter soccer moms (as described). Wouldn't know where teh projection came from then.

I wonder if we can make compelling looking males this time around of if you're forced to play the default because he's the only one that looks remotely like the part.

Hope so too!

I tried, time and time again to create a convincing Shepard but never succeeded. Some DA:I created characters I've seen came across as really convincing, and I'll probably spend way too much time in the character creator so I'm not really worried about that.

I'm with you. After the Vivienne debacles in DA Inquisition, I thought they'll try again and make it right this time.

But nope, it's a black dude again. But wait, has it been confirmed that he's romanceable?
What was the debacle? Vivienne had a reason she wasn't romanceable. All I remember is people complaining she wasn't hot enough.

What was the reason she wasn't romanceable?
I thought it was because she was already in a relationship.

It goes deeper than that once you got to know her better, but basically yea. I just found her "loyalty mission" or whatever you want to call it underwhelming and felt she should have been romanceable. Just a personal opinion.

Always found it hilarious that they went way out of their way to make it to where we could **** Iron Bull with a dwarf, but Vivienne had zero romance arc.

masterkajo

Should be on Friday.

------

Are we making OT for todays press previews, articles or otherwise? I doubt we need 10 threads just for those today.
Are we expecting a lot of spoilers out of these? Like the start of the game or all possible team members? Basically everything that has to to with story and lore? Because an am totally OK with the combat and even Multiplayer videos just as long as I am not spoiled about story parts.

Are we expecting a lot of spoilers out if these? Like the start of the game or all possible team members? Basically everything that has to to with story and lore? Because an am totally OK with the combat and even Multiplayer videos just as long as I am not spoiled about story parts.

Apparently they played a few hours of the beginning, but not up until the point where Sara/Scott Ryder becomes pathfinder.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are we expecting a lot of spoilers out of these? Like the start of the game or all possible team members? Basically everything that has to to with story and lore? Because an am totally OK with the combat and even Multiplayer videos just as long as I am not spoiled about story parts.

According to shinobi they're more or less able to discuss everything within the first seven or so hours of the game, including missions, narrative beats, and squadmates, with the exception of how the Ryders become the pathfinder.

And yes, there should be a general press preview thread to compile them all.

Top Bottom