• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #2: Characters

StereoVsn

Combat and gunplay were definitely more satisfying than ME3 to me.
Are you talking multiplayer or single player? Because I don't care for the 3-4 available powers in MP and now same design is on SP. So we have a lot less options, have to depend on AI for combos (i have strong doubts that this will be any good) and squad mates feel like power button powers now vs being team mates. Meh.

prag16

Banned
In the trilogy it felt like you were directing a team. Here it feels like they are just like 2x damage boasts.
I don't know. In the trilogy I largely saw them as a roundabout way to effectively give the player character extra powers. If the AI is good enough (a big if) this could feel more like teamwork than that did.

Lime

Apparently Bioware finally managed to provide trailers to Gamersyde - so now here are all the trailers in one big fell swoop: http://gamersyde.com/news_mass_effec...-18836_en.html

Thanks to Bioware and to Gamersyde for being so awesome!

A rarity happened, Electronic Arts released a good quality video file instead of just a Youtube link. In-game footage but no gameplay in this one as it is about Natalie Dormer who lends her voice to the character Dr. Lexi T'Perro in Mass Effect: Andromeda.
We're sharing next to it a few older trailers -in case someone find the interest- such as the TGA gameplay trailer in 4K and also the Andromeda Initiative videos from Bläck Studios and Creative Director Laurent Clermont. The game is launching next month.

I would have preferred more party members that are aliens, but I'm satisfied by what we have. Six party members means that there's more room for dialogue and character development.

I see myself using the Krogan and the Turian/Asari as my main party members.

I would have preferred more party members that are aliens, but I'm satisfied by what we have. Six party members means that there's more room for dialogue and character development.

I see myself using the Krogan and the Turian/Asari as my main party members.

The problem is that they need to have at least two humans on the team, a man and woman, so that all of the people who are against having alien intercourse have romance options.

Ashtar

I swear if my female Ryder can't get Long dicked by that krogan I'm gonna scream! Bad enough they killed alien heart throb thane in me3 denying my Shepard a happy ending

Complistic

Glad there's only 6, The amount of dialogue per squad member in ME2 was terrible, ME1 and ME3's conversation were much deeper.

Complistic

To first yes, she is confirmed love interest for maleRyder at least. To second what?

Probably referring to how many wrongly believe Ashley was "racist" since she didn't trust aliens. People don't like character flaws in their characters apparently.

Complistic

Or because she claimed that sometimes she can't tell aliens apart from animals.

Yeah that's totally unreasonable.

latest

latest

I mean I see either one of these guys for the first time and I immediately think, oh that's a sentient space-faring species and totally not just a weird trunkless elephant and a floating jellyfish.

Ash was a racist, and I use was because she dies every time.
I cured genophage because I was doing paragon playthrough.

I'm so glad that bs Black & White system is gone in MEA.

I went grey and only missed out on some options that would have made the narrative a cakewalk, technically it was already gone in ME3, where they added up and you could do either.

Wulfram

Yeah that's totally unreasonable.

latest

latest

I mean I see either one of these guys for the first time and I immediately think, oh that's a sentient space-faring species and totally not just a weird trunkless elephant and a floating jellyfish.

My unerstanding is it was actually intended to refer to the Keepers, but didn't fire as specifically as it was supposed to.

Big Nikus

Probably referring to how many wrongly believe Ashley was "racist" since she didn't trust aliens. People don't like character flaws in their characters apparently.

That's... a definition of xenophobia.
"I'm not racist, I just don't trust people from other parts of the world."
Yeah.

X-Frame

I can't wait for the next video - Exploration.

I hope they go into the Galaxy map, choosing and flying to planets, the Tempest and Nomad transition to the surface of the planet and possibly an example of exploring a remote planet.

Apparently Bioware finally managed to provide trailers to Gamersyde - so now here are all the trailers in one big fell swoop: http://gamersyde.com/news_mass_effec...-18836_en.html

Thanks to Bioware and to Gamersyde for being so awesome!
What the fucking fuck is going on? Why can't I connect to Gamersyde at all? Timed out every day this week?

Hopefully when the reviews hit we'll get some 4K video up.

Edit: If I use a proxy no problem. Must be my ISP fucking things up.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah, it was very noticeable that the Fiend seems to go out of its way NOT to attack the player. I'm assuming the difficulty was cranked down to zero for the purposes of the demo. You can also see in the status screens that Ryder is level 1 but has hundreds of skill points available.

AI has been confirmed to be affected by difficulty choice - so I'm thinking it's that also.

Well, I'm hoping it's that, at least.

Kneecap

Yeah.

Bear with my wall of text because, in spite of all the rough edges and shortcomings, the mass effect series makes me think and fills a video game hole in my lifelong love of science fiction. To wit:

C. J. Cherryh wrote a series of novels set in the Foreigner Universe. Humans meet an humanoid species, the Atevi, that (from Wikipedia now)

"...possess no directly corresponding concept of liking or loving another person, but instead place utmost importance on a concept called man’chi, most directly analogous to loyalty. Man'chi is not merely a cultural construct, but is an intrinsic drive, a natural instinct to follow a leader, and is therefore a difference between the two races that cannot be bridged."

Back to mass effect. So when I first met Ashley, I too thought her a xenophobe. However, the Cherryh books made me wonder if we could (or did in the ME universe) meet aliens for whom the human overtones or even the whole human concept of trust was, well, alien. In which case, an Ashley would be who you'd want at your back.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What in the hell? why would you not cure the genophage? unless of course you killed off Wrex you SOB!
Krogans are capable of so much and wiping them out is a bridge too far

What in the hell? why would you not cure the genophage? unless of course you killed off Wrex you SOB!

See, only a malfunctioning AI would save the Krogans.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
So theres only six companions in total? and only 1 of them is a new race and 2 are humans

hmm but hopefully that means fleshed out story and lots of dialogue for each.

Tovarisc

Salarians totally fucked them over by giving them tech to ascend into space age, basically skipping several steps of cultural and technological evolution. They never grew out of their warring nature and now had tech to wage war on galactic scale instead of among themselves on their own planet. That combined with rate of reproduction they were threat to other races when looking at whole extinction thing.

Salarians fucked up, Krogans fucked up and Turians just didn't want to get wiped out by Krogan Rebellion.

Why one should cure them and basically reset situation back to pre-Rebellion date? IF Krogan's can't rain in their warring nature then they will go after all other races once their numbers are back up. Because you are friends with 1 or 2 of them?

More or less Salarians make somewhat solid argument for not curing Krogans.

Ashtar

Salarians totally fucked them over by giving them tech to ascend into space age, basically skipping several steps of cultural and technological evolution. They never grew out of their warring nature and now had tech to wage war on galactic scale instead of among themselves on their own planet. That combined with rate of reproduction they were threat to other races when looking at whole extinction thing.

Salarians fucked up, Krogans fucked up and Turians just didn't want to get wiped out by Krogan Rebellion.

Why one should cure them and basically reset situation back to pre-Rebellion date? IF Krogan's can't rain in their warring nature then they will go after all other races once their numbers are back up. Because you are friends with 1 or 2 of them?

More or less Salarians make somewhat solid argument for not curing Krogans.
Well main reason is that as it stands Krograns are on the verge of extinction, unless I'm mistaken it wasn't going to make the already born krogans somehow not have genophage but new krograns wouldn't be effected, with Wrex as the leader he was going to have them on a more righteous path. Unless im mistaken, it was the nuclear fallout that pretty much ruined tchunka and set them back to the stone age, now that they've matured they I don't think they'd go back to doing what they used to do.

I have faith in the krogans and I don't believe in genocide of sentient species, I mean are we going to start eliminating vorcha and batarians as well? Where do stop on the path to being full fledged space nazi's?
edit: had no idea you could save mordin, for some reason in my renegade playthrough he insisted on trying to cure them and I put several bullets in his back with tears streaming down my eyes ..... then I had to kill Wrex as well :( I never knew you could sabotage it on the sly

edit 2: looking back at this ME3 fact sheet, 92% of people cured the genophage!
18ie6sg7gatq8jpg.jpg

additionally 54% never met Wrex n FX? thats brazy so they let that Psycho rule the krogans?

Still crazy to me that there actually was a pretty effect on the whole Krogan race through out the 3 games, too bad bc of all the press over "choices not mattering" we won't get another connected trilogy

My unerstanding is it was actually intended to refer to the Keepers, but didn't fire as specifically as it was supposed to.

What always got me was how so many of the people claiming Ashley was racist were also defending Cerberus' every action.

Yeah.

Funny thing too is nothing about Ashley's feelings are irrational either, which is the prerequisite for being a "xenophobe." Humans are still fresh off a war where Turians threatened to wipe them out, now trying to work their way up to the Citadel council where the other aliens are also prejudiced against them. Talk to plenty of NPCs and the feelings are mutual across all the species of wanting to look out for their own, but Ashley somehow gets singled out as somehow being the worst.

What always got me was how so many of the people claiming Ashley was racist were also defending Cerberus' every action.

Cerberus doesn't pretend to be something else. And, I don't know many people defending them post-ME2. Hell, even ME2 I only supported TIM as much as our interest aligned. I never believed he was looking out for all the races in the galaxy.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
Calling this video 'characters' is a bit of a misleading move by marketing. I expected something focused on actual characters, instead I got 'Combat, part 2' - profiles, loadouts, abilities and speccing.

Yes it was incorrectly named, briefly.

Aaryn

BioWare GM
From some personal hands-on, the enemies can be relentless and tough as hell. I bet Mac was playing on "narrative" difficulty here to specifically show off the mechanics and not bother with actually fighting to survive.

Yes this is actually becoming a problem for us. We've been capturing on lower difficulty settings, but we don't want to give the impression the game is "easy". Far from it. Our Lead Designer tells me Normal is balanced similar to ME3, but Insanity gets REALLY hard.

What got me with cerberus is that if you've not played through ME1 almost completely you're missing a ton of context.

If you chose lone survivor for Shepard's origin for instance, Cerberus killed your whole unit and they were behind a bunch of other depraved shit as well.
Yes this is actually becoming a problem for us. We've been capturing on lower difficulty settings, but we don't want to give the impression the game is "easy". Far from it. Our Lead Designer tells me Normal is balanced similar to ME3, but Insanity gets REALLY hard.
That's great to hear.

Top Bottom