• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S2 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't liked this season much at all. I want them to get back to the study, dammit.
Same here. S1 felt like two people challenging social mores to expose the truth about sex. Taking sex out of the closet, if you will.

S2 feels like a "oh, by the way, the two people are mostly jerks."

Seigyoku

This. Show.

(And I once again got retweeted by the official show account on account of my parents. Who could not breath during the Gone with the Wind bits.)

Libby's bit about being invisible and not knowing who she is and the person who doesn't like them. Bill on why anyone would want to look at him.

I'm really thinking anyone who ever wants to understand me has to watch this show.

xenist

I'm relieved for Libby. Even putting herself in a position as precarious as she has, I bet it beats having fucking Bill as emotional support.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"Filming the truth of people being sexual...If you sanitize it you're completely undercutting Dr. Masters and Mrs. Johnson's intentions, which are to encourage an honest discussion about what really happens to the body during sex."

"Censorship perpetuates shame, which, in turn, fosters ignorance and ignorance prevents change. So you see, it's a dangerous trajectory to shy away from the language of the body."

Quotes to live by, Masters of Sex. Quotes to live by.

xenist

"Filming the truth of people being sexual...If you sanitize it you're completely undercutting Dr. Masters and Mrs. Johnson's intentions, which are to encourage an honest discussion about what really happens to the body during sex."

"Censorship perpetuates shame, which, in turn, fosters ignorance and ignorance prevents change. So you see, it's a dangerous trajectory to shy away from the language of the body."

Quotes to live by, Masters of Sex. Quotes to live by.

Context my dear Ratsky, context.

Blader

This. Show.

(And I once again got retweeted by the official show account on account of my parents. Who could not breath during the Gone with the Wind bits.)

Libby's bit about being invisible and not knowing who she is and the person who doesn't like them. Bill on why anyone would want to look at him.

I'm really thinking anyone who ever wants to understand me has to watch this show.

I really didn't like this at all. I'm a little tired of Bill's self-pitying in general, but the sudden outburst of concern over how physically attractive he is was annoying.

I like this season but it has been very uneven.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know, Michael Sheen is a strange looking dude, and his romantic history is the stuff of legends. He is clearly very attractive to some people, but he's not an obviously handsome guy. Bill has an extremely attractive wife, and an even hotter lover, but he's this odd looking man, with what is perceived as a creepy, perverted job. I think he would have doubts, and I think it's not so out of the blue, he even (at least believes) has to 'require' Virginia to be part of the study to make her sleep with him.

I didn't mind the self-pitying, in fact I felt it was a bit of a relief to have him let down like that.

What I did mind was Libby's speech. Felt completely written, like Frank's first little speech to Bill (in the episode before they fought).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well, you could look at it as a speech that Libby herself has been practicing and crafting in her head for when she gathers the courage to say it and/or when the opportunity strikes.

Well, you could look at it as a speech that Libby herself has been practicing and crafting in her head for when she gathers the courage to say it and/or when the opportunity strikes.

That's pretty much what I did, but I would have preferred a more naturalistic speech, or at least something spontaneous in it.

Blader

I don't know, Michael Sheen is a strange looking dude, and his romantic history is the stuff of legends. He is clearly very attractive to some people, but he's not an obviously handsome guy. Bill has an extremely attractive wife, and an even hotter lover, but he's this odd looking man, with what is perceived as a creepy, perverted job. I think he would have doubts, and I think it's not so out of the blue, he even (at least believes) has to 'require' Virginia to be part of the study to make her sleep with him.

None of this has ever been brought up before. Bill's insecurities about how he looks compared to Libby or Virginia, or insecurities about only being able to sleep with Virginia because it's part of the study, or being perceived as creepy or perverted because of what he does has never entered the show at all before.

Like I said, my main sticking point with it is less about the suddenness of where it's all coming from and more about being kind of tired of Bill becoming increasingly self-pitying. And fwiw, I don't think Sheen is all that strange looking of a dude at all, heh.

StuBurns

Banned
None of this has ever been brought up before. Bill's insecurities about how he looks compared to Libby or Virginia, or insecurities about only being able to sleep with Virginia because it's part of the study, or being perceived as creepy or perverted because of what he does has never entered the show at all before.

Like I said, my main sticking point with it is less about the suddenness of where it's all coming from and more about being kind of tired of Bill becoming increasingly self-pitying. And fwiw, I don't think Sheen is all that strange looking of a dude at all, heh.
You are wrong though.

Just a few weeks ago he said her sleeping with him was optional, and the second she said she wasn't going to he instantly changed his statement and said it wasn't optional.

Last season we found out the only reason he even wanted to get married was because he would be seen as a pervert if he ever followed this research path as a single male.

Season finale tonight:
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Masters does not like how his work is portrayed in the documentary; Libby continues her relationship with Robert; Langham re-evaluates his relationship with Flo; Masters and Johnson believe they can cure sexual dysfunction.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So Coral is off in Atlanta doing stuff and things? Hmmmm

EDIT: Ethan! What a twist!

EDIT 2: Barton! Double twist!

Lizzie Caplan was great this week and definitely gave her best performance yet. That scene where she holds back the tears while answering the phone was fantastic.

StuBurns

Banned
It was a fine finale, but for the most part, I think this season paled compared to the first. The boxing episode was the only really high point. I wonder what, if any, resemblance this has to the real events, it's becoming so much the soap opera now.

It was a fine finale, but for the most part, I think this season paled compared to the first. The boxing episode was the only really high point. I wonder what, if any, resemblance this has to the real events, it's becoming so much the soap opera now.

I agree with this. They need to get back to doing the study.

I think one of the main problems I had is with them moving into their new s̶e̶t̶ offices. It felt like it moved away from medical aspects of the show. I like them being in a hospital.

I loved the season overall and much preferred it to the first. I'm a lot more interested in who these characters are and their lives rather than the study itself. I really appreciated how bold it was in constantly shaking up the status quo, with multiple time jumps and several different central locations accompanying them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The truth about this show is now those kind of time jumps have to be incorporated into the material in a more regular manner. Let’s say this (series) goes maybe six years at the most, their story is really fascinating all the way into the ‘80s so you’ve got to say, “How do you parcel this out?” That’s the thing that I’m wrestling with right now. But it does mean much more moving through history at a faster clip.

More and bigger time jumps ahoy. I thought they handled the time jumps in that one episode pretty well, so I'm not too worried.

(Spoilers for S1 of HBO's The Leftovers!!!)
Sepinwall: Speaking of availability, I was amused that
Ann Dowd got written off of “The Leftovers” right as Essie was returning to your show. I know your production schedules didn’t entirely overlap with “Leftovers,” but was that ever a juggling act for you guys?

Michelle Ashford:
It was a complete and total nightmare. Getting Ann Dowd to our set was the scheduling kerfuffle of the century. At some point we thought, “Okay, maybe we just can’t tell stories with her this year, because it’s just impossible.” And yet we knew we really needed to, that she was actually key to setting certain stories — plus, we love her. And then finally their producer just called us and said, “Look, don’t say anything, but we’re gonna kill her, so if you could just hold on…” We’re like, (excited voice) “Really?” A ghoulish, gross Hollywood moment where you just go, “Oh God, we’re all so sick.” Obviously, they were never gonna tailor their story to us. They didn’t care about us, but it just happened that that’s where they were going with it anyway.

Heh, that's pretty funny.

Sober

Way better than season 1 IMO. No more Mary Sue Ginny Johnson either, didn't really like that in season 1.

Libby got some really good material the second half too.

Leeness

Poor dumb blond Austin lmao. I've really enjoyed him with Flo.

Edit: ETHAN. FUCK THAT GUY. I ALWAYS HATED HIM

Poor Ginny :(

Edit: Scully!

...oh Bill, what did you do? :(

Edit: Great episode! Looking forward to next year!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No more Mary Sue Ginny Johnson either, didn't really like that in season 1.

Libby got some really good material the second half too.

Mmm, yes. That was probably my biggest problem with season one so I'm very glad they turned her into a (mostly) three dimensional character this year.

Linius

Lol, Bill's "you cured sexual dysfunction!" hero parade was hilarious.

That actually reminded me of the end of season one of another popular Showtime series.

Finally completely caught up with this show. Really loved this season. Also like everyone else glad that Libby got some good stuff. And she got some. And that Ethan twist, what a twat that guy. Looking forward to season 3!

S2 was a bit of a mess (and miss) for me. I think part of the problem is I actually grew to dislike both Masters & Johnson. The finale did nothing to restore my faith in the show. They've been plodding along fucking each other and not giving two shits about anyone else, and Ginny's old lover swoops in to steal their thunder.

LOL

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Wait, wait, wait, the episode that aired last week was the last episode of the season? That was pretty crappy. That didn't feel like a season finale.

I thought the second season was pretty bad. I didn't like the weird time skips, the focused on their mostly-boring relationship (personally the hotel episode was so self-aggrandizing), the use Libby in the first half of the season, the lack of focus on the actual study (it was cast to the background), etc.

They got rid of the doctor I liked, because she died half-way through, and then they had that weird time-skip centered episode that somehow also restored Masters' relationship with his mother. Then out of nowhere we're introduced to his brother, a person who was never mentioned once before. I didn't dislike the brother, but it just made it clear that Bill is more crazy that we already know. We also figure that his ED is caused by his issues, and that Johnson is also in denial about their problematic relationship.

I just want the divorces to happen so that we get more insight into the damn study.

Daigoro

Lizzie Caplan was great this week and definitely gave her best performance yet. That scene where she holds back the tears while answering the phone was fantastic.

she killed it in the finale. the phone scene and her breakdown with Bill were outstanding. really well done.

UrbanRats

Caught up.

This season felt all over the place for me, too.
The performances were mostly great, but the writing wasn't as consistent.
Everything felt very confused, many moments and lines felt out of character, and there were also several instances were i felt they went full cheesy, which gave that eye rolling Soap Opera vibe.

Bladenic

Finally catching up with this season. Betty is so awesome. Loved Sarah Silverman's role and performance in episode 5. Definitely miss Allison Janey and Beau Bridges this season. Don't care about Ethan being gone but he could've at least appeared in the first episode lol

n64coder

I'm caught up. Great show. I'm a sucker for period dramas. Impressed with the acting ability of the main characters. I enjoyed how the show portrayed the 50s & 60s. I thought Michael Sheen is very believable as Dr Masters. I liked all of the characters. Initially, I didn't care much for Dr Langham but my opinion changed in season 2.

The opening credits for the show is very captivating and the music is good. I find myself watching it every time.

One of my favorite scenes was the end of season 1 when Dr Masters got kicked out of the second hospital and was making his pitch to another hospital board, the camera turns and you saw that it was a board of black doctors. Unfortunately, the relationship did not last that long.

I have mentioned the show to a number of my friends and family but it seems that my wife & I are the only ones watching it. Maybe it's because it's on Showtime which many people don't have.

Looking forward to Season 3.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 3 premieres July 12 @ 10/9c

When Masters of Sex returns, the year is
1966 and Masters and Johnson are dealing with the glare of the national spotlight as their sex study is finally unveiled. Igniting the Sexual Revolution, the duo’s work will have a profound impact on contemporary relationships — especially their own evolving three-way “marriage” with Masters’ wife Libby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom