• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S2 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Not a strong episode for me. I'm surprised to see them push Bill into such an obviously adversarial role within his and Virginia's relationship right now. This episode she went all in and she had no cards at all, very unusual for her character, and for him not to be diplomatic about it in response was completely out of whack with how he's handled similar situations so far.

I loved the scene when he confronts Libby about washing the girl's hair though, so good.

Wait, was that Coral's boyfriend or brother? The preview text says brother, but wasn't that her boyfriend? Or was that Libby being super ignorant and presumptuous and mistaking him for her boyfriend, and Coral leveraging it to get back at her non-existent sex life?

That speech with Charles Hendricks was pretty awesome

Wait, was that Coral's boyfriend or brother? The preview text says brother, but wasn't that her boyfriend? Or was that Libby being super ignorant and presumptuous and mistaking him for her boyfriend, and Coral leveraging it to get back at her non-existent sex life?
I don't think they specified it during the episode, did they?

I liked the Lillian & Virginia scenes. Sarah Silverman did a decent job. She didn't seem out of place to me.

I don't think they specified it during the episode, did they?

I liked the Lillian & Virginia scenes. Sarah Silverman did a decent job. She didn't seem out of place to me.

No one explicitly said, but Coral decided to talk about how they have lovely makeup sex when Libby told her to leave him.

GQman2121

Banned
Libby continued down her unlikable path in episode five, but I'm beginning to think they're doing this as a way of pushing Bill closer to Virginia. It'll be a slow burn for the remainder of the season, but it's happening. Their clash when she explains the visit from Coral's partner was telling.

Too much Betty for me though. I didn't mind the Sarah Silverman character, but Betty is no longer interesting. She had a purpose in season one. Now she's just meddling and its effecting the overall narrative which should be the study and subjects. I think that's why I enjoyed Fight so much two weeks ago.

No one explicitly said, but Coral decided to talk about how they have lovely makeup sex when Libby told her to leave him.

They definitely didn't initially make it clear who he was in Corals life. But once she sits down with Libby in the bedroom it's obvious that that they're together in a relationship.

Ah, yes. That makes sense. No reason for Coral to make up that speech.
Libby continued down her unlikable path in episode five, but I'm beginning to think they're doing this as a way of pushing Bill closer to Virginia. It'll be a slow burn for the remainder of the season, but it's happening. Their clash when she explains the visit from Coral's partner was telling.
Libby's behavior this season is tough to stomach and feel out of character. I can understand why they might want to go in that direction for the reason you stated, but it seems like a very rapid change.

It's seems natural, if unpleasant to me.

She's stressed, plus probably subconsciously knows Bill is cheating, and that can come out inappropriately.

I just think they moved too quickly to it and are leaning on it a little heavily. With the increased screen time for Betty, Lillian, and a few new characters, they haven't shown much of LIbby aside from her interactions with Coral and Bill at home.

UrbanRats

Saw the episode, and i echo the sentiment about Libby's arc.

It feels like a forced way to make her look like a complete racist idiot, to make John's infidelity come off as less abrasive.
It just feels out of character, the way she turned from a docile but somewhat kind person, into this stubborn coward.

Both had to deal with the fact of being in a powerless position, so i guess the transition could have been done from one to the other, but not this suddenly.

Otherwise, interesting episode.

Yami

I'm torn by Masters of Sex. On one hand, it shines like a radiant light, tackling a lot of subjects that have barely ever come up, and episodes like The Fight just show how good it can be. But then you have Libby's arc, and it's just like, lolwtf. I wish it had the consistency of Mad Men.

Good to see Matt Parkman getting some work though, haha.

someday

Banned
It's seems natural, if unpleasant to me.

She's stressed, plus probably subconsciously knows Bill is cheating, and that can come out inappropriately.
I agree with this. She has very little control over her own life at this point and is using Coral to feel in charge of something. I don't even think she understands what she's doing or why. I mean, we watch her husband lead an incredibly full and rewarding life and yet come home to her and give nothing. She's got to be going crazy.

UrbanRats

I agree with this. She has very little control over her own life at this point and is using Coral to feel in charge of something. I don't even think she understands what she's doing or why. I mean, we watch her husband lead an incredibly full and rewarding life and yet come home to her and give nothing. She's got to be going crazy.

I think most people here are more at odds with how sudden it was than the arc itself.
It felt, as i said, made in all haste to make John's inevitable shift to Virginia look less bad, while giving Libby some depth.
But it feels rushed.

someday

Banned
I think most people here are more at odds with how sudden it was than the arc itself.
It felt, as i said, made in all haste to make John's inevitable shift to Virginia look less bad, while giving Libby some depth.
But it feels rushed.

It's pretty different than last season but she also has an infant now that she didn't have then. I feel like the child is the link to her behavior. I think she felt that having the kid would make them a family and it hasn't. Instead it's exacerbated the shakiness of her marriage with Bill. Of course, she could have realized that Bill wasn't nearly as excited about fatherhood as she thought he might be.

Saw the episode, and i echo the sentiment about Libby's arc.

It feels like a forced way to make her look like a complete racist idiot, to make John's infidelity come off as less abrasive.
It just feels out of character, the way she turned from a docile but somewhat kind person, into this stubborn coward.

Both had to deal with the fact of being in a powerless position, so i guess the transition could have been done from one to the other, but not this suddenly.

Otherwise, interesting episode.

But it feels rushed.

You mean Bill/William, right?

This is like the biggest pet peeve of mine. How do so many people get names incorrect?

UrbanRats

It's pretty different than last season but she also has an infant now that she didn't have then. I feel like the child is the link to her behavior. I think she felt that having the kid would make them a family and it hasn't. Instead it's exacerbated the shakiness of her marriage with Bill. Of course, she could have realized that Bill wasn't nearly as excited about fatherhood as she thought he might be.
The first freakout (the one about the "ask" spelling) made sense to me, since it was directly after Coral had that moment with Bill and the baby, but after that you'd assume she would have some self awareness, about being an asshole to this girl.
i think the character expressed a greater sense of empathy in the past, wereas here she keeps ignoring and being stubborn.

You mean Bill/William, right?

This is like the biggest pet peeve of mine. How do so many people get names incorrect?
Yes.
Sorry man i'm just awful with names, they just don't stick, plus i'm following several shows and foreign names are harder to remember, i guess.

That annoyed me. I don't really understand why he did it - it seemed like an unnecessary little Twist! thrown in at the end just for the hell of it.

It seemed very in character and not surprising at all. Even during his speech he listed all the sacrifices he made so that he could have Bill on board. The sex study was obviously one of them. He didn't hire Bill because he was interested in furthering sex research, he hired him to pull in the clients and make a case for mixed hospitals.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It seemed very in character and not surprising at all. Even during his speech he listed all the sacrifices he made so that he could have Bill on board. The sex study was obviously one of them. He didn't hire Bill because he was interested in furthering sex research, he hired him to pull in the clients and make a case for mixed hospitals.

Eh, maybe. His explanation this week was satisfactory, but now his storyline is already over so who cares? This whole black hospital storyline was a mess. Just when things get going, Masters up and quits. Again. It feels like the show is just spinning its wheels.

RIP Dr. DePaul.

Julianne Nicholson was great in the role. Sad to see her go.

I think this is pretty great, actually. It's like rebound relationships before he starts hisown Institute.

I was pretty upset watching Dr DePaul die. It sounded exactly how my mother died.

StuBurns

Banned
The DePaul stuff was good, but Masters and Virginia are just both acting out of character. His attack on the editor was absurd, and her secret boyfriend was completely at odds with her actions, even in this specific episode talking about Bill's love for her.

I was really irritated by the Libby stuff, but now it's heading for an affair I think I get it. I'd forgot all about the dancing thing last season.

The hooker and Sarah Silverman story needs to end though, so so bad.

I like the Pretzel King story. I think it is going to end though, it has to.

Since this show is about sexuality and society in the 50s, it makes sense to show what it's like for a lesbian couple who don't even fit within that subculture's norms.

StuBurns

Banned
I like the Pretzel King story. I think it is going to end though, it has to.

Since this show is about sexuality and society in the 50s, it makes sense to show what it's like for a lesbian couple who don't even fit within that subculture's norms.
The first season's big subplot was about a woman struggling with her marriage because she didn't know her husband was gay. It just feels like it's a pointless retread, moreover, it seemed to come out of nowhere to me, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

The first season's big subplot was about a woman struggling with her marriage because she didn't know her husband was gay. It just feels like it's a pointless retread, moreover, it seemed to come out of nowhere to me, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

She was gay in the first season, and married her husband under false pretenses. However, unlike the Scullys, there isn't a long history of platonic love to fall back on-- she's going to get hurt in a way that makes the Scully story look like a fairy tale.

StuBurns

Banned
She was gay in the first season, and married her husband under false pretenses. However, unlike the Scullys, there isn't a long history of platonic love to fall back on-- she's going to get hurt in a way that makes the Scully story look like a fairy tale.
Huh? That seems like the opposite. Scully was in a committed, very long term relationship, and had a daughter. Hooker and Nuts can just separate, doesn't seem like a comparable weight to it at all.

jonnyp

I don't like one single character on this show except maybe Coral the nanny.

Don't understand why people like this show so much.

Huh? That seems like the opposite. Scully was in a committed, very long term relationship, and had a daughter. Hooker and Nuts can just separate, doesn't seem like a comparable weight to it at all.

She doesn't have any commitment from Mr Pretzel King, and I assume that the best thing that could happen to her is she ends up a prostitute again. That's the optimistic reading.

I don't like one single character on this show except maybe Coral the nanny.

Don't understand why people like this show so much.

Likability of characters isn't a big deal for me. Complex characters are.

Seigyoku

I'm two episodes behind now from being out of town, and considering the sucker-punch life threw me last night, I'm not sure when I will be mentally stable enough to catch-up.

Sigh.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think this is pretty great, actually. It's like rebound relationships before he starts hisown Institute.

It just isn't compelling television in my opinion. Masters and Johnson spent decades doing sex research and this is the shit they're choosing to focus on?

I'm two episodes behind now from being out of town, and considering the sucker-punch life threw me last night, I'm not sure when I will be mentally stable enough to catch-up.

Sigh.

What happened?

jonnyp

She doesn't have any commitment from Mr Pretzel King, and I assume that the best thing that could happen to her is she ends up a prostitute again. That's the optimistic reading.

Likability of characters isn't a big deal for me. Complex characters are.

I agree with your last statement 100% but I don't find the characters in this show very complex. I find them completely uninteresting as well as the overall story for the most part.

I agree with your last statement 100% but I don't find the characters in this show very complex. I find them completely uninteresting as well as the overall story for the most part.

if you agree with that statement, it's odd that that's what you criticized the show over.

And if the story and characters aren't for you, well, then different strokes. You said you didn't know why people liked the show. Are you interested in finding out or just putting forth an opinion that you don't like it? Because if it's the former I'd be happy to tell you, but if it's the latter then I am wasting my time.

Fatalah

MoS is having a spectacular season 2. Mad Men vibes.

Julianne Nicholson was encapsulating. (Funny, she had a role in Kinsey!(

UrbanRats

Eh, maybe. His explanation this week was satisfactory, but now his storyline is already over so who cares? This whole black hospital storyline was a mess. Just when things get going, Masters up and quits. Again. It feels like the show is just spinning its wheels.

The DePaul stuff was good, but Masters and Virginia are just both acting out of character. His attack on the editor was absurd, and her secret boyfriend was completely at odds with her actions, even in this specific episode talking about Bill's love for her.

I was really irritated by the Libby stuff, but now it's heading for an affair I think I get it. I'd forgot all about the dancing thing last season.

The hooker and Sarah Silverman story needs to end though, so so bad.

I think these two posts sum up my impressions pretty well.

I think the performances are very strong and there are still many good moments, but the over all arcs seem very confused to me, and not in a good way.

New episode tonight:
Asterion

After learning that Johnson has continued to see other men, Masters becomes impotent and cuts off his sexual work with her; Masters borrows against his house and offers medical services to the hotel.

Blader

Interesting episode, though it more or less just brings us back to the status quo that end of S1 hinted at.

I wonder what's going on in the writer's room this season? The first 6 episodes felt like they were spinning their wheels on pretty much every plot, now they've dropped everything to jump ahead on every plot. Almost feels like they were getting tired of their own pacing.

I think it's more which beats they want to hit and how that isn't always easy. The needed something between the end of S1 and the established stand alone, and they had relationship ground to cover.

StuBurns

Banned
Horrible episode, has the show lost a head writer or something? Last season had like one questionable episode, this season is messy as hell.

DrBo42

Pretty tired of her just letting it slide when he gets salty about people she has relationships with and completely treats her like shit. I get it happening once to establish how fragile this guy is but good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom