• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S3 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Undue Influence

Masters tries to convince Johnson to rededicate herself to the study and to him; a familiar face returns to the clinic for help; Libby attempts to help Paul and Joy repair their shattered lives; Johnson fails to notice that Tessa is trying to make sense of her home life and the events at the homecoming dance.

UrbanRats

Yeah Bill's candid awkwardness was the best part this past episode.

On the other hand, Tessa's development feels somewhat cheap and clichèd to me, especially her boyfriend being a brainless idiot.

Also, given the context of the time period, Margaret is being pretty unfair to Burton, coming out as gay isn't just about being honest, it's also about basically getting flak wherever you go, being seen as a perverted freak, and being at risk of being physically hurt.
I'm sorry she has her sexual issues, but it's not that simple.
The daughter should've known the truth though (also i figure it's a way to keep Rose McIver off the show, now that she's on iZombie, which makes me very sad :p).

Also, i feel the show is still a little too heavy on platitudes-type dialogues, i wish they would tone it back down a notch.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On the other hand, Tessa's development feels somewhat cheap and clichèd to me, especially her boyfriend being a brainless idiot.

I can't say that I'm a fan of Tessa, at all. Her side story has easily been the weakest one on the show to date.

Also, given the context of the time period, Margaret is being pretty unfair to Burton, coming out as gay isn't just about being honest, it's also about basically getting flak wherever you go, being seen as a perverted freak, and being at risk of being physically hurt.

I'm sorry she has her sexual issues, but it's not that simple.

That was seriously stupid.

Klocker

wasn't feeling this last ep at first but I was actually impressed by this episode..

show has no problem time jumping man.. last weeks ep was a 9 mo pregnancy from announcement to birth lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Matters of Gravity

Johnson's parents visit and insert themselves in the Johnson women's lives; Libby and Masters learn that Johnny has been bullied and try to fix the problem; Johnson finds unexpected excitement in the scent study; a promising fertility patient is found.

Linius

Easily the best episode of the season. Very strong performances from most of the cast. Only tiny bit that annoyed me was Tessa trying so hard to out her mother. Bill's answer to the guy at Wash U was simply stunning. Loved the scenes with his son. And how he made little Dennis pee his pants.

Easily the best episode of the season. Very strong performances from most of the cast. Only tiny bit that annoyed me was Tessa trying so hard to out her mother. Bill's answer to the guy at Wash U was simply stunning. Loved the scenes with his son. And how he made little Dennis pee his pants.

Agreed completely with all of your points. This was a fantastic episode!

Tessa annoyed the fuck out of me in this though. Really hope Virginia puts her in her place at some point soon. Her shit is getting old.

And holy shit I really liked the scene with Dennis and Bill. I wonder if they'll keep pressing on that loss of control he seems to be having this season. The way he talked to Dennis, schooling him completely, was very interesting. Seemed like he was channeling his dad.

Great great episode.

Also, Margarets sex scene was brilliant. Really well done.

Linius

In a way the Newton bit reminded me of Don Draper doing the Kodak pitch. It was very inspiring and so well acted. For some reason I kind of expected the night to go horribly wrong for Bill so that was a nice turn around.

Tessa annoyed the fuck out of me in this though. Really hope Virginia puts her in her place at some point soon. Her shit is getting old.
I mean "her shit" comes from a place where her mother is completely untrustworthy and damn near an absentee in her house because of her work. That's literally what's driving Tessa here and while she is going about in as "bitchy" a fashion as possible - she's a teenage girl functioning as a teenage girl would.

She knows her mother is sleeping with a married man. It's even more scummy considering its someone close to her family yet she wants to lecture her on her own life choices? Not to mention that her mother's work is dealing specifically in a very taboo subject that puts her daughter in an awkward place socially at school, etc.

Tessa is a really easy character to hate and the show may not put her in the best light (a weakness this season far, IMO) but she's absolutely justified in acting out the way that she does around her mother.

Linius

Yeah, you're right about Tessa's motivations. I can see where her behaviour is coming from. But indeed the show doesn't do the best job of giving her some positives for the viewer. Frustrating her mom's life is basically the only thing she's doing on the show. If you compare that to Paige on The Americans last season, let's say it's a big difference.

Yeah, you're right about Tessa's motivations. I can see where her behaviour is coming from. But indeed the show doesn't do the best job of giving her some positives for the viewer. Frustrating her mom's life is basically the only thing she's doing on the show. If you compare that to Paige on The Americans last season, let's say it's a big difference.
Yeah there's no doubt that there could be more nuance here. I thought the episode where Bill and Virginia went on vacation with Libby and co. and Bill's talking with Tessa about sex and later dealing with drunk Tessa was actually handled much better that what we've gotten these last few episodes.

Don't get me started on the son goes to war sub-plot. I'm just waiting for the ham fisted letter to come that he's died, etc.

I mean "her shit" comes from a place where her mother is completely untrustworthy and damn near an absentee in her house because of her work. That's literally what's driving Tessa here and while she is going about in as "bitchy" a fashion as possible - she's a teenage girl functioning as a teenage girl would.

She knows her mother is sleeping with a married man. It's even more scummy considering its someone close to her family yet she wants to lecture her on her own life choices? Not to mention that her mother's work is dealing specifically in a very taboo subject that puts her daughter in an awkward place socially at school, etc.

Tessa is a really easy character to hate and the show may not put her in the best light (a weakness this season far, IMO) but she's absolutely justified in acting out the way that she does around her mother.

We know the motivations but the only time she's on screen, she's just fucking with her mother. It's old already.

I kinda liked her scenes in episode 1 and 2, but we're five episodes in and it's still that one sour shitty note. It's the only weakness this season has so far. Tessa.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Danny Noonan in the house!

Barton on the phone with his daughter... what a moment.

In a way the Newton bit reminded me of Don Draper doing the Kodak pitch. It was very inspiring and so well acted. For some reason I kind of expected the night to go horribly wrong for Bill so that was a nice turn around.
In a way, the night did go wrong since it didn't have the effect on himself that Bill so desperately wanted. He still felt empty and unfulfilled.

And holy shit I really liked the scene with Dennis and Bill. I wonder if they'll keep pressing on that loss of control he seems to be having this season. The way he talked to Dennis, schooling him completely, was very interesting. Seemed like he was channeling his dad.
He was certainly channeling a bit of his father, and that's exactly what he feared might happen if he had kids, so that's well played by the show to return to that topic. Then having his son leave the room to be away from him...

Linius

Oh yeah, the night absolutely didn't give Bill any satisfaction or what so ever. I was just afraid that it would have also been a failure right there at Wash U. But he bossed the room. Was nice to see Bill get a win like that. Even though for him it doesn't feel like it.

I adore Bills character, but when Libby and him are in the car home and she asks him what was it all for and his reply is "I don't know". I liked him just that little bit more.

Leeness

Margaret :( <3

Barton <3

I really love the two of them.

Lmao. "Where is the love?" QQ

Amazing speech, Bill. Lol, that swerve by the mother--thought she would be all "you hussy!!!" but no. Hahaha. STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT, GURL.

Great episode.

Patchy

Banned
I gave up halfway into season 2, it was just a mess.

Boring, meandering and no direction.

Should I give it another chance?

Linius

I gave up halfway into season 2, it was just a mess.

Boring, meandering and no direction.

Should I give it another chance?

You couldn't be more wrong about the show.

But if it's not your cup of tea it's kind of pointless to waste your time on it I'd say.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Masters of Sex Shocker: Polarizing Baby Storyline Was Added For Legal Reasons

“We are telling a non-fiction story and one where there are people who are still alive out there, and those people need to be protected,” Ashford told reporters. “That is way of protecting them.

“We were advised to add [the baby] to protect the people that are still alive,” Ashford elaborated. “It wasn’t a storytelling prerogative. It had to do with protecting living people.”

Timberman later confirmed that the decision to age Bill and Virginia’s children in Season 3 — and give them real, yet fictionalized, adult problems — spurred the arrival of little Lisa. (Bottom line: Adding a fictionalized baby to the mix drives home the point that the current Tessa storyline was not inspired by Virginia’s real — and only — daughter.)

Patchy

Banned
You couldn't be more wrong about the show.

But if it's not your cup of tea it's kind of pointless to waste your time on it I'd say.

I enjoyed season 1 very much. But felt the show was running out of puff and the story was starting to stall.

If it picks up again, I can get back into it.

UrbanRats

Finally caught up.
Great ep. all around.

Burton being nothing but great this season, and i hope things turn out well for Margaret, too.

Bill got really creepy with that bully, but i liked his moment of "glory" later on, even though i'm not quite sure how you could consider that a win, after all.
And i guess Bill feels the same, too.

Also, just noticed that Jo (Julie Ann Emery) was the smashing Mrs. Kettleman from Better Call Saul.
Hope we see more of her. ;)

It's always fun when Bill "channels his dad". Makes me think there's always a possibility he'll just drop everything and become a boxer.

If all the kids are made up anyway, why can't they just do this damn it?

Klocker

Finally caught up.
Great ep. all around.

Burton being nothing but great this season, and i hope things turn out well for Margaret, too.

Bill got really creepy with that bully, but i liked his moment of "glory" later on, even though i'm not quite sure how you could consider that a win, after all.
And i guess Bill feels the same, too.

Also, just noticed that Jo (Julie Ann Emery) was the smashing Mrs. Kettleman from Better Call Saul.
Hope we see more of her. ;)

Shit thats where I saw her... Thx. They didn't show some of her more flattering views which would have reminded me instantly

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Two Scents

Masters and Johnson take on a celebrity couple who are looking to reinvigorate their sex life; Tessa comes to better understand her mother; Libby furthers her involvement in Joy's life but it comes with consequences that extend to Paul.

Tonight's episode marks the half way point of the season.

UrbanRats

Speaking of scents, i'm still not sold on that perfume guy.
I hope he's into it more than to just trying to get into Virginia's pants.

Hopefully this episode satisfied the Tessa haters a bit. Much better balance and I thought the scene at the end were she finally looks to have a moment with her mother and has it ruined again was effective.

Not sure I care for Virginia sleeping with the perfume guy. At some point the Libby marriage has to end and the continual conflicts with Bill an denial of her relationship with hi has to end.

Poor Libby though. She's slowly growing a pair to leave I guess...

Linius

Yeah, I feel like we're inching towards the end of the Masters relationship slowly this season. Didn't expect Ginny to sleep with the perfume guy though. And though that scene with Tessa at the end was powerfull, it was also very sloppy to dress up like that if you want to keep secrets.

Johnny looking at Bill and Dennis bonding over that set of cards was also rough.

Leeness

Soooo...anyone else think it's obvious that Paul beat Joy into her state when he realized she was leaving him? Just me?

Just seems much too convenient that "I'm gonna tell him I'm leaving", "oh man she totally just had a random brain hemorrhage!" happened.

:/

Bill...your son tho... :'(

UrbanRats

Soooo...anyone else think it's obvious that Paul beat Joy into her state when he realized she was leaving him? Just me?

Just seems much too convenient that "I'm gonna tell him I'm leaving", "oh man she totally just had a random brain hemorrhage!" happened.

:/

Bill...your son tho... :'(
I think a doctor would be able to tell the difference between a spontaneous aneurysm, and someone caused by external blunt force trauma.

Haven't seen the latest episode though, so i don't know if they reveal something in there.

Toa TAK

Banned
Haha that ending with the Gorilla.

But damn, Libby, way to drop the bomb.

And how fucked up is everything to Johnny there.

Leeness

Hm, I didn't get that impression at all. I think it was just a coincidence.

I think a doctor would be able to tell the difference between a spontaneous aneurysm, and someone caused by external blunt force trauma.

Haven't seen the latest episode though, so i don't know if they reveal something in there.

I dunno, if I was Libby, I'd want to see the receipts and not just take Paul's word on it :p

I admit it's getting less likely the further from the incident we get, and I wrote that in the middle of the episode before the scene with Paul and Libby and Paul seemed genuinely surprised to learn that Joy was planning on leaving him, so...

But the whole thing felt like classic set up haha. Wife leaving husband + suddenly injured/dead wife = husband did it. When Libby went into the dark house when Joy being hurt was revealed, I was like "he killed her" and when she wasn't dead, I have just been waiting for people to get suspicious, but no one in the show was and I was like "...no one thinks he did anything to her???"

But yes, with Libby at the apartment, it definitely seems like the whole plot is more about exploring Libby leaving Bill, but the last couple of episodes, I was like "WHY IS NO ONE ASKING THE OBVIOUS??? NO ONE???"

Since none of the characters seem to care, it probably won't be a thing at this point, but man...

Blader

Last episode was absolutely awful. Ridiculously over dramatic, terribly written (why is Bill saying something so on the nose as "You saved me Virginia," and why are they having him say it twice in 5 minutes?!) and the whole gorilla thing was about jump-the-shark as it gets.

Ferd2

Neo Member
show is losing me with dan logan. most boring melodrama ever. also, guy is a horrible actor and the writing has been trash.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Are we to believe that Beth from The Walking Dead has ulterior motives regarding the sex study? Money between she and Bill was exchanged, leading me to believe that it will come up to bite him in a later episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Masters of Sex’ lets Emily Kinney get ‘sexy’ after ‘The Walking Dead’ *mild spoilers*

"I didn’t know that much about it. I knew of the show and I know Masters and Johnson were real people. Mostly, I got into it when I read for the audition. It was such good scenes and I remember reading it and being like, “Oh my God, I know how this person talks.”

That’s when I decided to dive in and watch all of the episodes. I’ve seen a little bit of it before but I was so taken by the scenes they wrote specifically for Nora that I was into it.

Now I’ve watched all of it and I really like the show. It’s really fun to do something that’s about relationships and families and [being] sexy. It’s a nice break from “The Walking Dead,” which, of course, was a lot of death and destruction. It’s fun to have scenes of just talking things out. That’s really fun for me."

More @ the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom