• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S3 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Who was she on The Knick?

Anyway, i'm caught up on everything but yesterday's episode again.
Feels like it's going through the motions a bit, with some random plot points, to be honest.

I'm not sure i'll go in for a 4th season as of now.
This is the only show i currently follow that makes me want to check the internet or do other stuff while i'm watching, and this is very unusual for me.

Maybe the last two episodes will change my mind.

I gotta say though, i was happy to see Alex Borstein on the show, she was brilliant in Getting On.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't say that I'm feeling Betty and Helen's story at all, and I really don't see why they felt the need to bring Dr. Langham back as a recurring character. This show needs to learn when to let characters go.

Who was she on The Knick?

I don't think she's appeared in it yet.

UrbanRats

This thing with Emily Kinney's character is not going to end well lol.

I wonder if her childhood's story is real or f she's playing Bill for something, but then again, she wouldn't be able to know his childhood trumas.

Maybe she just has a crush on him and i'm reading too much into it.

Blader

Oddly enough I haven't been minding Dan Logan at all, but I've pretty much disliked every other new thing they've done this year. And in general it's become just way too melodramatic and soap opera-y. I only really watch the show anymore because my girlfriend is into it, but she hates this season so S4 probably won't be in our future either.

Then again, I say the same thing about Homeland every year too...

UrbanRats

Oddly enough I haven't been minding Dan Logan at all, but I've pretty much disliked every other new thing they've done this year. And in general it's become just way too melodramatic and soap opera-y. I only really watch the show anymore because my girlfriend is into it, but she hates this season so S4 probably won't be in our future either.

Then again, I say the same thing about Homeland every year too...

I dropped that at S2, so i have no qualms about doing that.

I will probably finish watching Boardwalk Empire one of these days though, simply because i was so close to the end.

Leeness

I wonder if her childhood's story is real or f she's playing Bill for something, but then again, she wouldn't be able to know his childhood trumas.

Maybe she just has a crush on him and i'm reading too much into it.

I feel like it's real, but that when Bill rejects her (either romantically or just for the program in general if she screws up again), she'll use the fact that he gave her money and get the surrogacy program shut down as a prostitution thing.

Cue Ginny's "told you so", broken Bill, sadness end note to season.

However, I also don't know enough about Masters and Johnson to know if they ever had a surrogacy program and if it was shut down or flourished forever or not.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And in general it's become just way too melodramatic and soap opera-y.

I agree. It's like the writers didn't think the work and research element of the show would prove to be compelling enough to the audience so they decided to spice things up by adding in a ton of extra melodrama.

I feel like it's real, but that when Bill rejects her (either romantically or just for the program in general if she screws up again), she'll use the fact that he gave her money and get the surrogacy program shut down as a prostitution thing.

Cue Ginny's "told you so", broken Bill, sadness end note to season.

I think so too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Remember when the premiere was all about Bill and Virginia's respective families becoming increasingly entangled and Libby trying to figure out how to be involved with everyone? That sure went away fast.

I would definitely agree, I'd rather see more dramatic focus on the research and careers than Virginia yet again in another relationship that will inevitably end while producing a rift between her and Bill.

I'd also love a transparent answer about why they had to do all the shenanigans with Virginia's new baby and the kids. Was one of the real kids threatening a lawsuit? I mean, the names were already entirely different. The disclaimer is fine, I'd be curious about the real legal rationale for how adding a new baby and those few episodes of plotting was what was needed to protect the show. It sounds like such an overreaction.

Leeness

The scene with Ginny and Bill ~testing~ the surrogate program...

395488783.gif

Edit: Beth girl. Hahaha. She's so transparent.

Edit: Oh god, Bill don't.

Edit: oh god bill dont

oh my god

second hand embarrassment forever oh my god

except his sadness afterwards is super sad

Edit: Ratsky, we called it.

Mostly. I didn't think
the bible thumper would get Beth

Also, Libby and Paul :) Glad I was wrong about him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Haha, we both knew Beth from The Walking Dead was up to no good! :D

Edit: Ratsky, we called it.

Mostly. I didn't think
the bible thumper would get Beth

Me neither. It should have been obvious the bible thumper was going to play into things somehow though.

Leeness

Haha, we both knew Beth from The Walking Dead was up to no good! :D

Me neither. It should have been obvious the bible thumper was going to play into things somehow though.

High five to us! Calling it all day.

And yeah...should have figured that the bible thumper would play into it since he's been lurking the entire season.

UrbanRats

Ok, saw the finale.
I liked Bill's part.

I wouldn't say Beth was up to no good, in the car she seemed genuinely hurt, even though i'm not liking this cartoon religious character and his evil plot to destroy the study or whatever, feels super cheap.

Michael Sheen MVP though, that face at the phone.

Also, "I didn't know you were so devoted to your wife" - LOL.

Alright, I finally got caught up to episode 10, Through a Glass, Darkly (which, if you make a Bergman reference, you better follow through on it).

I just don't like this show... I think. I feel that the movie Kinsey did a lot of what this show is trying to do in 2 hours. I don't like how it is written, and the direction isn't anything that interesting. They gave that big disclaimer in episode 1 or 2 of this season, and without any real knowledge of the historical events of the show, this season has seemed very false to me.

Some of the secondary plot lines go nowhere or retreat on previous material. The only two secondary relationships that I've carried about are:
The shame/failed marriage of the Scully's
Dr. Lillian DePaul's death

I don't know. I feel like partway through season 2 it just went off the rails. It's not bad, because the acting keeps things going, but everything else just is there like dressing. Imagine if all of the talent of Mad Men was in front of the camera and not also behind the camera. That's Masters of Sex to me; half a great show.

UrbanRats

I feel similarly.
Whether or not i'll follow S4 as of now it's completely up in the air.

We'll see if there's another show getting my attention by then.

And damn, i had forgotten about Lillian, she was a good character, now they don't have anyone particularly interesting in the support cast.

Dan

I thought this was interesting.

- The Hollywood Reporter: 'Masters of Sex' Star Michael Sheen on 'Monkey Business' Scene: "I Never Liked It"
What'd you think of that scene in episode seven where your character encourages Virginia to show an ape named Gil her boobs?

I hope I’m not being overly disloyal, but I never liked it and I don’t think it worked. It was a very risky choice to make. I think it’s really important to take risks, but not all risks pay off. It’s just that kind of thing has to be very, very carefully monitored. I haven’t watched it yet myself so I can’t really talk about it in that sense, but I know that a lot of people were very surprised by it — and not necessarily in a pleasant way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
brianmcdoogle said:
I just don't like this show... I think. I feel that the movie Kinsey did a lot of what this show is trying to do in 2 hours. I don't like how it is written, and the direction isn't anything that interesting. They gave that big disclaimer in episode 1 or 2 of this season, and without any real knowledge of the historical events of the show, this season has seemed very false to me.

I think the show has suffered from not having a clear vision. The narrative has been all over the place ever since the first season ended. I get the sense that the writers are just flying by the seats of their pants, which wouldn't be a problem if this were an original story, but I don't think that that method works when the series is based on a book, which in turn is based on real life events that moved along a linear path with a concrete beginning, middle, and end. It doesn't gel with Showtime's "Let's stretch everything to 8 seasons!" philosophy, which I feel is what has lead to all of this padding and soap.

There's also the matter of making it overly fictitious. Fictionalization is necessary, to an extent, when adapting a real life story, but after a certain point it's sort of like "What's the point?"

The gorilla scene was a little silly and over the top, but I didn't think it was that bad.

UrbanRats

The costume was Trading Places bad tho, what made feel like a "jump the shark" moment.
I'm glad they quickly phased it out.

I think I'm going to wait for next week's episode before I complain greatly about the molestation plot line. Because.. who knows, maybe they'll salvage this contrived and obvious setup. Or maybe they won't.

Dan

When Judy Greer pops up in something with an actual character to play, everything is elevated.

The weirdest thing about the Bill/Dennis thing is that when Henry deliver his little verbal attack at school, those two girls seemed to react by laughing at him more than being scandalized. So it's kinda weird that they then tattled.

I'm wary of that subplot, especially with the religious nut and Nora's thing still waiting in the wings to blow up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked the scene where Bill confessed his affair to Libby - it was easily one of the best scenes of the season. I also enjoyed seeing Virginia belt Beth from The Walking Dead in the face with her moving box. lol

Other than those two scenes though, I thought that was an unsatisfying finale. Especially in how they chose to end it. Really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interesting finale. It really leaves Bill in a world of shit. Curious how he and Virginia work their way out of it.

Bill is incredibly naive with the money exchange. Amazing how someone so smart could end up being so stupid.

Solid season but I have to knock them for going nowhere with Tessa. They setup an emotional showdown between she and Virginia once she makes the realization that Tessa knows about her and Bill and it went nowhere. It really was just a fart in the wind storyline when it was all said and done.

Loved Libby's scene with Bill in the police station, too.

Dan

Oooooookay.

Lots and lots back and forth romantic positions from Virginia.

Virginia knocks the shit out of Nora probably felt good... but pretty damned dumb since you just gave her a new criminal complaint to file.

Virginia has to leave Dan sooner or later... is it really smart to delay that further? Will she flee the day of the wedding? Or after getting married?

The neighbor up and left because Libby suddenly thought the legal problems for Bill meant she couldn't dare consider shaking up the family... then a day or two later she refuses to bail Bill out and says he can't come home and also tells Johnny.

Bill decides to, what, let his book agent tear him a new one with the press?

These last couple episodes did an awful lot to delay having these characters make the moves we all know they desperately need to make.

I'll agree, Libby telling Bill off was good and satisfying. If only that had been preceded by her already deciding to leave him.

Damn, the actress who plays Libby absolutely KILLED it in this episode. She's always great but wow, her
telling off Bill for all the shit she's been through, was incredibly well acted!

But also a great great performance from Michael Sheen as always. Such a crazy and amazing episode!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'll agree, Libby telling Bill off was good and satisfying. If only that had been preceded by her already deciding to leave him.

Yep. They should have cut out the Libby + Paul melodrama from last week's episode and just had Libby leave Bill for Paul at the end of the finale (and then downgrade Caitlin FitzGerald to a guest starring role next season).

Sober

I think the season was very good overall, but I don't think there was much to make me write home about it or jump up excitedly about.

Everything except Tessa's plot was more or less good, mostly because hers just fell flat. If hers even counts as much except ancillary to Virginia.

Libby was shaky, I think overall it was fine but it didn't go anywhere again which is a bit sad, especially since the finale's stuff should've happened sooner maybe.

Interesting they ended the season with everything Bill is/does biting him in the ass finally. Was sorta expecting the final scene to be the both of them standing at the press conference, smiling some fake ass smiles.

As usual IMO, I feel like whenever the side characters show up and do their thing it's vastly more enjoyable than Bill and Virgina, if only because Bill and Virginia have kinda run the same general plots over and over again. They are fantastic when they need to be but I feel like the supporting cast kinda makes the show shine much more for me than the two leads sadly.

UrbanRats

I feel like, if it wasn't based off of real people, this could've been one way to end the entire show.
After all, people shouldn't take a happy ending for granted.

And even though i still enjoyed parts of it, i really wasn't that engaged during the last 2 seasons, so this probably will be my series finale.

Finally caught up, and, well, this series is a mess that gets worse and worse. And, I'm probably placing too much expectation on it since it is a premium cable show, but the shoddy writing and bland direction should not get a pass just because the actors are working their butts off to make this barely work.

Other than utter frustration, I don't know what I'm getting out of this show. It's not history, since so much is now made up and irrespective of the truth. It's not a period piece since there's always a nodding to current historical norms. It's not the sexual discovery, since that is barely in the show. Is it the characters? Well, sometimes they act like people, and other times it's cardboard cutouts or Muppet level of theatrics.

I really feel like this show is all over the place, and the only thing I care for, not the story or characters, is the actors. I don't feel bad for Masters or Johnson; I feel bad for Sheen and Chaplain. I feel bad for FitzGerald and Ashford, not Libby or Betty.

I dunno. I give up, I think.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
“Season 4 is starting in the late ’60s, and the season will probably encompass a year or two,” she said. “[Masters and Johnson] became huge celebrities and ended up on the front of Time magazine, so we’re really exploring that this year.” Ashford insisted that the show would “never fudge on the science that they were doing,” though they “had to make composites of certain characters that were around their lives, for creative reasons and also for legal reasons.” She went on to assure that Season 4 will get “back to really bringing tight and rigorous adherence to the actual story.”

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom