• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S4 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Uabl5L9.jpg

Masters of Sex is back again with a new season premiering on Sunday, September 11th at 10/9c. It was created by Michelle Ashford and is based on Thomas Maier's biography Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson. The fourth season will consist of 12 episodes.

Showtime said:
Masters of Sex is a one-hour drama starring Emmy® and BAFTA Award nominee Michael Sheen and acclaimed actress Lizzy Caplan, who will portray the real-life pioneers of the science of human sexuality, William Masters and Virginia Johnson. The series chronicles the unusual lives, romance, and pop culture trajectory of Masters and Johnson. Their research touched off the sexual revolution and took them from a midwestern teaching hospital in St. Louis to the cover of Time magazine and nearly a dozen appearances on Johnny Carson's couch.

Videos:

Cast:

- Michael Sheen as William Masters
- Lizzy Caplan as Virginia Johnson
- Caitlin FitzGerald as Libby Masters
- Annaleigh Ashford as Betty Dimello
- Beau Bridges as Barton Scully
- Josh Charles as Daniel Logan
- Sarah Silverman as Helen​

New Cast Additions:

- Betty Gilpin as Nancy
- Erin Karpluk as Darleen Connolly
- Niecy Nash as Louise Bell
- Kelli O'Hara as Dody
- Alysia Reiner as Anita
- Andre Royo as Sammy Davis Jr.
- Jeremy Strong as Art
- David Walton as Abe Perlman
- Ashley Zukerman as Gary Diebold

Links:

Poster:

Promo Pictures:

Sober

The cast is so good, too bad they get wasted on the main story most of the time. I feel like the side stories are way better.

Also goddamn it why did you have to get Erin Karpluk to be in this season, I was ready to drop this show like a hot potato. But now I am ready for another season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season premiere was released online a few weeks ago so I decided to watch it now so I don't have as much to watch this coming Sunday.

I thought it was pretty solid. No real significant developments in any of the storylines, but it's nice to have the show back.

Libby and her liberated (get it) women group was quite amusing. That storyline has a lot of potential.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season premiere airs tonight!

Freefall

Season 4 begins with Masters and Johnson searching for purpose after their fallout and looking to work to save them as their personal lives crash down around them. Meanwhile, Libby finds herself alone for the first time and discovers some unexpected allies.

n64coder

Looking forward to watching the new season. Will tape it and watch it tomorrow since the Patriots game is on tonight.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The idea of them ditching the clinic for weeks with no concern for it whatsoever, and seemingly without real consequence because Betty is magical, was pretty silly. Especially having Virginia show no regard for it until learning Bill had returned and seen a patient. That doesn't scan considering she's obviously still passionate about the work and wants to still be leading the fight. Why is convincing Hefner to print a monthly column a more immediate solution than returning to the clinic? Needing to force Bill and Virginia apart for an extended period of time just seems to produce messes elsewhere in the story and characterizations.

Not sure how I feel about the show continuing to follow Libby as she divorces Bill and dabbles in the women's liberation movement.

Natiko

Banned
Hopefully this season takes a step back in the right direction. I still enjoyed last season, but it was definitely on the weaker side.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Inventory

Masters and Johnson turn to new partners in an effort to put the past behind them and focus on their expanding clinic. Meanwhile, Libby reevaluates her relationship with Bill and Virginia.

Where the hell is season 3 on bluray/dvd? Why hasn't Showtime released season 3 on video yet? They usually drop them in time for the new season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Pleasure Protocol

Masters and Johnson adjust to new partners, but their respective cases cause them to second-guess the instinct to remain separated. Meanwhile, a romantic prospect pushes Libby to embrace life as a newly single woman of the sexual revolution.

Dan

So... what are people thinking of this?

Nice to see Judy Greer once more.

I found myself dismayed that Bill didn't see the obvious about his new patients after he had a similar reaction to the movie as the man. Like, duh. I thought Bill was at least that self-conscious to recognize it and see the danger they were going to unleash.

I guess the point of these new partners is to make everyone's relationships and situations as complicated as possible via swinging. Not sure that's what I ever wanted from this show. I'd rather see them reduce the complications in the main relationship, not ramp them up farther.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Coats or Keys

Johnson, Masters, Libby and Keller wind up together at a party thrown by Art and Nancy. Pairings and perspectives shift as the night wears on, until the light of day exposes the consequences of the previous evening.

Why hasn't season 3 been released on bluray yet? This is really irritating me. It's available in Germany but not here. Is this a new marketing move that Showtime's pulling now?

That was a damn good episode. I wish I had watched it last night after Shameless instead of nearly falling asleep during the Westworld pilot.

A lot of new TV shows are no longer being released on blu-ray, at least in the US.

Indeed.

That's bullshit. I've been noticing this as well with alot of show lately. I know Agent Carter has been cancelled, but over in the U.K., there are preorders for season 2 box sets. I'm seriously looking into purchasing a multi region bluray player to circumvent this. Is there anything I need to know about PAL based media? I know you can purchase multi region players, but does my TV need to be PAL enabled?

What about burning mkv files from Netflix and Amazon? I'm perfectly willing to support the industry, but if they aren't going to make them available on the market, I'm going to seek other means of obtaining them. And no, I'm not one to seek profit in this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's bullshit. I've been noticing this as well with alot of show lately. I know Agent Carter has been cancelled, but over in the U.K., there are preorders for season 2 box sets. I'm seriously looking into purchasing a multi region bluray player to circumvent this. Is there anything I need to know about PAL based media? I know you can purchase multi region players, but does my TV need to be PAL enabled?

I have no idea. Maybe ask around the blu-ray.com forums?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Outliers

Johnson and Masters' legal troubles come to a head as the trial begins with Keller leading the charge. Johnson, assuming they're to be exonerated, does her best to revive their careers, while Masters faces the reality of what these charges could mean for him, Johnson and the practice.

Coolluck

Does anyone think this show has ever reached the high of "Fight" again? Until that reveal at the end of the last episode, I've been liking this season more than last. But I don't think the show has ever been that good again.

Dan

That fourth episode was very strong indeed. I was leery, but it worked well.

Fifth episode was quite good too, although I'm not into the fallout of Virginia and the new doc's night together. Also not sure about Bill deciding he's addicted to Virginia. Both of those things seem like they're going to be annoying conflicts going forward.

Biske

So I am catching up on this one, on episode 4.

My god, absolutely loving this season. For one its funny as hell "oh sweet jesus.."

and so many great moments so far. Really hittin me in the feels.

Tubie

So I am catching up on this one, on episode 4.

My god, absolutely loving this season. For one its funny as hell "oh sweet jesus.."

and so many great moments so far. Really hittin me in the feels.

Yea this season has been really good so far, much better than last.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Family Only

Johnson looks to get her relationship with Masters back on track, but Masters does his best to find satisfaction elsewhere. Meanwhile, Betty and Helen ready themselves for a new addition; and Art and Nancy discuss the consequences of their party.

So, I hated season 3. HATED it. And, I think I made my thoughts known enough in that thread to not rehash them.

That said, while this season is, well, better only because of how awful the last season was, I don't know why I'm putting up with it.

Michael Sheen keeps doing the same ticks and acting cues he's been doing the entire run of the show. I've not seen him grow as a character or actor that much. I'm no longer watching for him.

To a lesser degree, the same can be said for Caplan. She has had more meat in her part this season, but it only goes so far. And, it oscillates between something we've seen and something new.

That gets to the plot of this season, the court case and the new hires. The new hire plot is dumb. I hate it. I wish the story continued out of the first season and part of the second season where the work was the story. But, no, now we got a "what are they up to" thing that isn't going anywhere interesting so far (I'm an episode behind).

I agree with Dan's post that the Hefner stuff seems like a convoluted solution that doesn't solve their problem so much as introduce a magnet to get Virginia and Bill together post-haste. And, of course, to introduce a "I know who Hugh Hefner is!" dynamic into the show. Yes, there was funding in life, but after the complete departure from reality last season, I'm just annoyed by it. Speaking of, remember the focus on the daughter last season? Where has she been now?

The willful and plot-convenience or contrivance of Masters and Jonsons' blindness to things is getting annoying. And, so far the acting hasn't been enough to carry the show. I've not gotten anything interesting from the leads (outside of maybe Libby doing SOMETHING different than previous seasons) and seemingly the ancillary characters are just.... there.

I really don't know why I continue to watch this show. There were things I loved in season 1 and 2, but they are so far gone now that I don't think they'd ever return.

EDIT: I'm getting massive spoilers for tonight's episode on twitter... speculation on my part, but potentially major spoilers:
does Sarah Silverman's character die? Seems like she's gone for good

For your spoiler....
yes, she dies. DCI post c-section. Her parents come to take the baby and force Betty out.

Too bad you're not enjoying the show. I think this seasons been great thus far.

Dan

Alright, I think I've had enough of Art lying now. And does Nancy not know about the basics behind the lawsuit? Given what happened there, it'd be obvious why the recording devices are present.

Michael Sheen keeps doing the same ticks and acting cues he's been doing the entire run of the show. I've not seen him grow as a character or actor that much. I'm no longer watching for him.

To a lesser degree, the same can be said for Caplan. She has had more meat in her part this season, but it only goes so far. And, it oscillates between something we've seen and something new.
In many respects, the show is constantly and consciously preventing them from really growing.

Speaking of, remember the focus on the daughter last season? Where has she been now?
Good question. I think she had one scene early on? I guess they said all they wanted with that character.

Blader

Is this supposed to be the last season? I noticed Showtime hasn't renewed it for a fifth season yet, and the episode count this year looks to be reduced to 10. Are the numbers not good?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Urk, another show falls victim to the Bury Your Gays/Dead Lesbian Trope. Not a good look, especially coming after all the hoopla from earlier this year with The 100, etc. and sort of unnecessary, imo, from a dramatic standpoint too. There was plenty of dramatic material to mine from Betty and Helen as new mothers and I don't feel like taking the show in such a tragic direction will be as narratively fruitful in the long run.

Is this supposed to be the last season? I noticed Showtime hasn't renewed it for a fifth season yet, and the episode count this year looks to be reduced to 10. Are the numbers not good?

They haven't said one way or the other. The ratings have never been particularly good and the show has thus far failed to accumulate any (significant) awards, so I'm not sure how successful Showtime considers the series.

I don't think that Masters of Sex will be one of Showtime's dramas that last for 7-8 seasons, but at the same time I would be fairly surprised if they decided to end it after only 4.

Dan

It's not advertised as the last season. Ratings do seem down from last year, although who knows if that's offset by other metrics. Who knows if it'll come back or not.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Topeka

Masters and Johnson go on the road and pose as a couple to investigate practices at a competing clinic. While Bill and Virginia are away, Art, Nancy and Langham take advantage of their absence to further their own agendas.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is tonight!

Night and Day

Masters and Johnson return from Topeka and grapple with the trip's ramifications. Meanwhile, Art and Nancy look to tie up loose ends in order to have a fresh start; and Libby embarks on a road trip with Bram that changes her perspective.

hbkdx12

I question how much legs this show has as far as future seasons go. This season has been so terribly bland it's unreal.

Someone mentioned it above but having the shift being taken off of the work has been a huge detriment. Bill and Virginia don't seem to have any meaningful character development. They've been through this song and dance lord knows how many times now and yet every time they get into their feelings they revert back to 7th graders at the school dance. I don't know exactly how many episodes Virginia kept up the charade of being married but it seemed like it went on forever.

Introducing nancy and art was interesting but they've taken a dive ever since the swinger party. We got to see a different side of Art from that point but it hasn't amounted to anything meaningful other than to highlight how conniving Nancy can be and how they have no business being married in the first place.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season finale is tonight!

A Private Affair

Season 4 ends with Masters and Johnson working to save the practice from disintegrating in the face of insurrection within the clinic. Meanwhile, Bill and Virginia find solace in one another as everyone in their lives either moves on or falls away.

Dan

It's had strong elements, but the Art/Nancy stuff has had some real problems. Also the Libby storyline has gotten kinda crazy. If indeed there's a season 5, she's suddenly going to be a total flower child.

I do, however, like that season has had some renewed focus on the actual work of the clinic and sex therapy. The show should say more in that realm.

hbkdx12

The last episode was....interesting

I really like the cohesive theme in the episode and how they used every other relationship on the show to reflect on Bill and Ginny. I thought that was great

However, it lost me at the very last moment when they
basically commit to get married, i guess? I find it a bit weird that the whole season, particularly this episode, Bill is coming to grips with how much he's addicted to Virginia and that it isn't necessarily a good thing and that she may essentially be his downfall yet he doubles down on the idea that we need to go full steam and get married i suppose.

I like that they are dealing headlong with the gay conversion therapy issues. Thought it was a solid finale. Looking forward to next season.

Leeness

Please tell me Ginny didn't actually call the press 😱

Also, I didn't realize that they did run conversion therapy for a while, so... That's gonna be a rough next season :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Please tell me Ginny didn't actually call the press ��

She totally called the press.

Also, I didn't realize that they did run conversion therapy for a while, so... That's gonna be a rough next season :/

Wiki sez they did it for nearly a decade! (also that Virginia wasn't a fan of it and it was mainly all William's doing, but I guess the show is switching it around so William doesn't go back to being so unlikable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom