• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, yet another excellent episode. This is shaping up to be an incredibly strong first season. And damn that last scene between Virginia and Lillian was pitch perfect. Very moving.

Toreal

I just binged the last 5 episodes and now I am up to speed. Man what a great show, this is getting picked up for a season 2 right?

How is it that Bill's wife (Libby I think) always seems to look pregnant? I know she is but she looks like she is 6 months pregnant.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good episode, I liked everything with Virginia and DePaul. The stuff with Ethan and George was funny, the latter really unwilling to let things go without getting under Ethan's skin. I wonder how badly Masters is setting himself up to fail next week, between the subject matter and going against his own instincts to 'sex up' his study.

I just binged the last 5 episodes and now I am up to speed. Man what a great show, this is getting picked up for a season 2 right?

Yes, it was already picked up. This is Showtime, the series will likely outstay its welcome ;)

Leeness

Just catching up, on Fallout.

Dat ether between Bill and Virginia at the beginning.

Also not sure if I like Ethan with Virginia again. He was fucking weird the first time so I hope his time with Vivian made him less crazy :/

Just catching up, on Fallout.

Dat ether between Bill and Virginia at the beginning.

Also not sure if I like Ethan with Virginia again. He was fucking weird the first time so I hope his time with Vivian made him less crazy :/

Seems to be the case from what I can tell. Seems to really want to change

Linius

Great episode this week. Loved the scenes with Ethan/Ex husband and Lillian/Virginia. Also Libby 'finding out' about Bill was very well done.

Really didn't expect the reaction to Master's presentation to be like that. I was excited for him to finally present all they had learned in the study. Different times I guess. Great episode tho, and great first season. I started watching this show on a whim and have been hooked since Ep1. Every story thread in compelling. Very much looking forward to season 2.

And with this great episode Showtime's complete domination of fall television is complete. I thought this show would be good, since it would be nearly impossible to fuck up a Masters & Johnson show starring two talents as immense as Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan, but it ended up surpassing every hope I had for it.

Dan

It should have been obvious from the timeline given last week, but for some reason I expected DePaul's storyline to wrap up by the season's end. I wonder if Julianne Nicholson will be around for season two. She wasn't asked about in that Sepinwall interview. Sounds like a lot of other supporting players may mostly disappear, out of actor availability and/or natural progress of the story.

Sloane

Banned
I like the show a lot for its characters but its world feels a bit weird to me which makes it hard to really root for Masters and his study. Obviously, I wasn't alive in the 50s so my knowledge of the era comes mostly from watching documentaries and Mad Men but the show seems to do a pretty bad job depicting the sexual repression?

Masters never has any trouble finding subjects for his study, Jane and that other doctor are perfectly happy to do almost anything, the Provost's wife and a close friend of hers are interested in participating, Ethan alone has like four different one night stands in the first two episodes or so, even Masters' mother isn't shocked when he tells her he's watching people masturbating and "fornicating", and there's virtually no pushback to the study until the final episode. Even the way most people talk doesn't really indicate that sex isn't a subject for conversation. There's the provost who's suffering but that's more or less beyond the scope of the study.

It's weird. The cast is amazing and all the personal stuff is pretty well done but the study itself feels pretty meaningless so far, almost like a MacGuffin.

Arcteryx

This show should get multiple emmy nominations.

Honestly it was probably the best thing I've watched in the past couple months. I gave up on both Boardwalk and Homeland; neither was consistent, nor on par(acting wise) with this show. Plus, the cast is just so well done; everybody just seems "right" for the role.

Dan

It's interesting that in all those interviews she talks about Sony actively thinking about the series being 6 seasons. Thankfully, it sounds like this is a plan that Michelle Ashford can take into account now and pace the show accordingly, rather than hit that wall two or three years down the line and contrive more story. Seems like there's more than enough story, so it's not a huge concern, at least until/if Showtime starts asking more over that.

Also, she mentions laying pipe (pun intended?) for the show to delve into Masters' work on homosexual conversion therapies. Seems like that's something they definitely intend on exploring further.

Leeness

How odd, the finale is named differently in...I guess Canada?

Elvis Has Left the Building.

Edit: I'm glad Margaret is, while not cool with Scully's homosexuality, looking disgusted with the "cures".

Edit 2: Omg I am practically barfing at how badly Bill's showing is going.

Oh lawd. Broken up. Bill am angry.

Edit 3: Aw...Margaret and Scully. :'(

Edit 4: Omg they're firing Bill and Scully?! Rude...

Edit 5: :'( Bill throwing himself under the bus for Scully.

Edit 6: Oh crap is Libby miscarrying again??

Edit 7: Jane don't feel ashamed of your vaginal walls. Lol.

Edit 8: Libby actually had a baby! :O

Edit 9: Shipping Bill and Virginia all day, errday.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A good finale capping off an overall good (but not great) first season. I look forward to seeing what they have in store for season two.

And with this great episode Showtime's complete domination of fall television is complete.

Not sure how they could dominate fall with just one show, but okay.

So even in success, these are business decisions between Sony and Showtime, but Sony would like to see it go six years. I think Showtime could live with five or six. But it’s not gonna go much longer than that if it gains success.

Six seasons sounds reasonable. Hopefully Showtime doesn't try to force them to go beyond that.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't like the idea of six seasons. That seems too long.

In any case, I really liked this season a lot.

ctothej

In any case, I really liked this season a lot.

Given the source material, it actually makes sense for the show to go on that long. Apparently the show will change significantly each season (for example, next season
it won't take place in a hospital and the hospital staff will be replaced by a whole new cast
). That should reduce the risk of becoming stale.

I like the show a lot for its characters but its world feels a bit weird to me which makes it hard to really root for Masters and his study. Obviously, I wasn't alive in the 50s so my knowledge of the era comes mostly from watching documentaries and Mad Men but the show seems to do a pretty bad job depicting the sexual repression?

Masters never has any trouble finding subjects for his study, Jane and that other doctor are perfectly happy to do almost anything, the Provost's wife and a close friend of hers are interested in participating, Ethan alone has like four different one night stands in the first two episodes or so, even Masters' mother isn't shocked when he tells her he's watching people masturbating and "fornicating", and there's virtually no pushback to the study until the final episode. Even the way most people talk doesn't really indicate that sex isn't a subject for conversation. There's the provost who's suffering but that's more or less beyond the scope of the study.

It's weird. The cast is amazing and all the personal stuff is pretty well done but the study itself feels pretty meaningless so far, almost like a MacGuffin.

Maybe read some literature from the period? Sexual repression within the forces of the conservative establishment doesn't mean a lot of sex wasn't happening.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

But when you consider the fact that Masters and Johnson's career's lasted for several decades, it's clear that there is more than enough material to span 6 seasons.

Given the source material, it actually makes sense for the show to go on that long. Apparently the show will change significantly each season (for example, next season
it won't take place in a hospital and the hospital staff will be replaced by a whole new cast
). That should reduce the risk of becoming stale.

Exactly. I'm actually very impressed that they intend to do something totally different each season.

Sloane

Banned
Maybe read some literature from the period? Sexual repression within the forces of the conservative establishment doesn't mean a lot of sex wasn't happening.
I'm not saying that sex wasn't happening but that it seemed a bit too easy to get and most people (except for the doctors in Masters' clinic) were surprisingly open about it. I do like the soap aspect of the show but the study itself created surprisingly little conflict for the most part of the season and I feel like the show hasn't really explained what good the study will do in terms of helping its characters and its world beyond Masters fulfilling his own dreams / needs.

But I'd be interested in reading some literature from the period. Can you recommend some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom