• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

When they show Lizzy Caplan's nipples, are those her actual nipples, or prosthetics? Do you think they have to practice to get the nipples erect, or does it just happen anyway when they're having simulated sexytime?

xenist

While a lot of stuff is very on the nose, I've come to think that the show is really about the earthquake that the study is causing, even when done behind closed doors, anonymously, and with a limited number of subjects. It's about the unintended consequences of sex and repression, and I love it. So while some themes may seem telegraphed, I think the overall show is playing a subtler game.

Yes. Though based on true events and (I think) bound to follow them at least in a general manner this is not a biopic. It just shows how important, life altering and all consuming sex is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When they show Lizzy Caplan's nipples, are those her actual nipples, or prosthetics? Do you think they have to practice to get the nipples erect, or does it just happen anyway when they're having simulated sexytime?

They're her real nipples.

jWILL253

Banned
I really liked this episode. Started off kinda slow, then got real good towards the end.

There's something about Virginia Johnson I can't quite get my finger on. The show seems to dive into the emotions of every other character except her own... but, I'm starting to wonder if that's by design. She always detaches herself from any man that she's sleeping with, and absolves herself from any responsibility outside of the responsibilities that come with being a good friend. Little does she know that she's playing with the emotions of every man she's been with so far on the show.
First Dr. Haas, then Masters. Her effect in each of their lives and relationships with the women in each of their lives has been profound, and yet while others are reeling from their misdeeds in their relationships, she has suffered no consequence whatsoever (well... nothing other than a DV situation with Haas, lol). Even when she got her kids all pissed at her for working too much, she was able to simply pass that responsibility and accountability onto someone else.

Funny enough, though...
the end of the latest episode implies that she actually might have feelings for Masters in the end (and it took her having a killer orgasm with Masters to come to that point), even though Masters is no longer focused on Virginia outside of the study, per Virginia's own request.
So, maybe we'll eventually see Virginia experiencing some sort of consequence for her unabashed promiscuity and (sudden) hypocrisy...

someday

Banned
I don't see her as playing with anyone's emotions maliciously. She was up front with Haas about being just friends.

I do wonder about her children though. I mean, she works late nights a lot and her relationship with her son is already not so great.

I'm a bit blown away by them participating in the study like that. It just seems so completely unnecessary.

I don't see her as playing with anyone's emotions maliciously. She was up front with Haas about being just friends.

I do wonder about her children though. I mean, she works late nights a lot and her relationship with her son is already not so great.

I'm a bit blown away by them participating in the study like that. It just seems so completely unnecessary.

Yeah, but that might speak to each character's own ulterior motives. Masters obviously wants (wanted) her, and Virginia is just genuinely interested in how the different positions work, but as hinted at the end of the episode Virginia might want Masters as well.

Wes

venison crêpe

The opening scene shocked me. I really though it would be a situation they really built up to but BLAM. It was just there from the off. Think they could've used that moment a bit better.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I really liked this episode. Started off kinda slow, then got real good towards the end.

There's something about Virginia Johnson I can't quite get my finger on. The show seems to dive into the emotions of every other character except her own... but, I'm starting to wonder if that's by design. She always detaches herself from any man that she's sleeping with, and absolves herself from any responsibility outside of the responsibilities that come with being a good friend. Little does she know that she's playing with the emotions of every man she's been with so far on the show.
First Dr. Haas, then Masters. Her effect in each of their lives and relationships with the women in each of their lives has been profound, and yet while others are reeling from their misdeeds in their relationships, she has suffered no consequence whatsoever (well... nothing other than a DV situation with Haas, lol). Even when she got her kids all pissed at her for working too much, she was able to simply pass that responsibility and accountability onto someone else.

Funny enough, though...
the end of the latest episode implies that she actually might have feelings for Masters in the end (and it took her having a killer orgasm with Masters to come to that point), even though Masters is no longer focused on Virginia outside of the study, per Virginia's own request.
So, maybe we'll eventually see Virginia experiencing some sort of consequence for her unabashed promiscuity and (sudden) hypocrisy...

I don't know how you can say she detaches?
She was clear with Ethan from the off, she becomes attached to Masters (If she already wasn't) and just had sex with her ex in a mutually physical manner. If anything this episode shows that she isn't always detached - she claims that she can separate love and sex but in this episode struggles to do so.

The problems with men are all as a result of how they approach her. Ethan took their relationship to be more than she very clearly stated. That is all on him. Masters acted like a seedy, manipulative figure, creepily listening to that recording of hers that discusses her sexual experience and knowingly promoting her/bringing up their involvement in the study. I don't see how it is her fault that people took a liking to her - she did her job very effectively and embedded herself into the study through skill not sex.

I don't know how you can say she detaches?
She was clear with Ethan from the off, she becomes attached to Masters (If she already wasn't) and just had sex with her ex in a mutually physical manner. If anything this episode shows that she isn't always detached - she claims that she can separate love and sex but in this episode struggles to do so.

The problems with men are all as a result of how they approach her. Ethan took their relationship to be more than she very clearly stated. That is all on him. Masters acted like a seedy, manipulative figure, creepily listening to that recording of hers that discusses her sexual experience and knowingly promoting her/bringing up their involvement in the study. I don't see how it is her fault that people took a liking to her - she did her job very effectively and embedded herself into the study through skill not sex.

No, you don't understand: she's promiscuous and confident and ambitious: there must be 'consequences'!

Dude. What.

Hahahahahaha this is the funniest thing I've ever read on gaf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

icShFEn.png

teepo

in his defense, i have read that fake nips are becoming increasingly common in photoshoots and film/tv production, especially when they want an erect nip.

Leeness

Haha just catching up and Bill in Miami marveling at the old couple going at it is hilarious.

Lol.

"That means women don't need a man to provide pleasure at all! In fact we might be better off without you!"
"Well...that's not the point I was trying to make..."

Leeness

Get it, Mrs. Scully.

Yessss finally, Virginia and Bill :D

...it's weird as fuck "shipping" two real people who were a couple, got married and then separated.

Linius

Great episode. Ethan finally overcoming his love for Virginia, Vivian looks so hot btw. I'm really surprised by how strong this show has been right from the start.

Spinluck

Does anyone know what Bill and Virginia are saying to each other toward the end of the final
sex scene
in the last episode? I know that they are both
climaxing
but I cant really tell what they are saying.

All I know is that Johnson had quite the look in her eyes after
she came.
She seemed genuinely impressed, and I think Bill knows it. That mutherfucker.

So, I have the entire season so far on demand through my cable box, and I've seen various TV Gaffers talking about this. Is it good?

It has Teddy Sears in it so that's already a plus, but I already watch far too much television. Is it worth adding to my rotation?

Linius

So, I have the entire season so far on demand through my cable box, and I've seen various TV Gaffers talking about this. Is it good?

It has Teddy Sears in it so that's already a plus, but I already watch far too much television. Is it worth adding to my rotation?

Yeah, this show is quality. Definitely belongs in any rotation.

It's been great so far. Best new show of the Fall and well worth your time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Yeah, it's one of the best new shows of the fall. Definitely worth your time.

Linius

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I guess I'll have to squeeze it in. Something else needs to be cut then though.

*gets out the axe*

If you need any axes, I still have a couple left at my station ;)

Do you watch Agents of Shield? Because that would be an easy cut for me.

By Friday/Saturday of each week, I wonder if I'm not overhyping this show to myself, and if it really is that good. Then Sunday rolls around, and *bam* it's better than last week, again.

Tons of stuff going on in this episode. And I noticed Michael Apted directed again, he did Caroline as well. I've always thought he was a great director, and he seems to be the go-to guy for episodes that call for a lot of nuanced acting. (He also has a background in both documentaries and dramatized versions of true stories, makes perfect sense he'd be on this show.)

As much as I love Sepinwall, he doesn't seem to get this show at some level. He keeps going back to how it does or doesn't follow history, and I think the ship has sailed on that one, with the huge amount of deviations that the show takes. It's fiction inspired by real people, but fiction. Therefore, what material covered when isn't a matter of history so much as what's desired for dramatic purposes. The Gay Therapy stuff certainly should come early on, as the theme of the show so far seems to be the seismic, indirect ripples that the study has on a very repressed culture.

I laughed out loud as the "proposal" scene, even though it's really not at all that funny for the people involved.

Maters: Man, he really is turning out to be a bit of a bad guy. Every time I see him and Johnson in lab coats or robes, or sharing the wonder of seeing groundbreaking footage, I really *want* their partnership to be two inspired equals workign together-- but it so, so isn't that way.

Last: Big bummer for Dr DePaul. :(

Another thing about this week--

They mention the architecture of the Masters house. It's open plan and large, which I figured would be very upscale in the time. By the 70s and 80s this look would be considered pretty ho-hum but I guess my notions of home architecture were right based on the house being a novelty to the handyman.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The stuff with Allison Janney and Beau Bridges is just heartbreaking. I feel so bad for both of them. They're both so lonely and beaten down - unable to connect with each other or with anyone else. :(

The stuff with Allison Janney and Beau Bridges is just heartbreaking. I feel so bad for both of them. They're both so lonely and beaten down - unable to connect with each other or with anyone else. :(

Barton's scene with Kyle (?) was also heartbreaking. "Nobody gets to be disgusted by me except me."

Also, was Margaret calling him "Button"? Even more sad, using a pet name in a conversation like that.

I want their story to end happily, and I am pretty sure it will not.

Reviews of this show frustrate me. Most because they seem ti misunderstand things, this one because it lists a bunch of stuff that makes the show awesome and then says that it's missing something.

This is probably the most personal and intimate of any prestige drama, but since it lacks anything more compelling than human relationships it gets dinged.

Danj

I was a little surprised they actually showed the footage at the end of the most recent episode. I guess it doesn't fall foul of ratings boards/regulations/whatever because it's educational/medical in nature instead of actually erotic or anything? Though apparently Bill got a boner :3

someday

Banned
I agree.
I was a little surprised they actually showed the footage at the end of the most recent episode. I guess it doesn't fall foul of ratings boards/regulations/whatever because it's educational/medical in nature instead of actually erotic or anything? Though apparently Bill got a boner :3

Do you mean the video from the vibrator/dildo? Considering the other stuff they've shown, I can't see why that footage would be a problem.

I agree.

Do you mean the video from the vibrator/dildo? Considering the other stuff they've shown, I can't see why that footage would be a problem.

Well, since it is more socially acceptable to show decapitation and extreme violenc than penetration and boobs, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was offended by that footage

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I want their story to end happily, and I am pretty sure it will not.

They're completely original characters, are they not? If so, there might be a chance that their story ends happily.
probably not though ;__;

I'm sure it was just a prosthetic vaginal canal.

someday

Banned
I guess I'm surprised that anyone would be upset by that footage. Remember when the Today show did a colonoscopy on-air (I think it was Katie Couric)? No one was bothered by that. I don't see how this is much different. It probably looked like a whole lotta nothing to most people anyway.

UrbanRats

They've really rushed through the Provost(and wife's) story, i feel.
When all three meet in the hotel lounge i was rolling my eyes hard.

The rest was a lot of fun to watch, though.
I particularly enjoy Dr. DePaul's arc, i want to see where that one goes.

Also final note, Vivian is so goddamn cute.. she could play a Disney princess very well.

They've really rushed through the Provost(and wife's) story, i feel.
When all three meet in the hotel lounge i was rolling my eyes hard.

The rest was a lot of fun to watch, though.
I particularly enjoy Dr. DePaul's arc, i want to see where that one goes.

Also final note, Vivian is so goddamn cute.. she could play a Disney princess very well.
She plays Tinker Belle on Once Upon A Time. I agree though, I have a major crush on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom