• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - S3 - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

It's that time of year again! Masters of Sex returns to Showtime on Sunday, July 12 at 10/9c. It was created by Michelle Ashford and based on Thomas Maier's biography Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson. The series tells the story of Dr. William Masters (Michael Sheen) and Virginia Johnson (Lizzy Caplan). The third season will consist of 12 episodes.

Showtime said:
MASTERS OF SEX stars Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan as real-life pioneers of the science of human sexuality, William Masters and Virginia Johnson. Their research touched off the sexual revolution and took them from a midwestern teaching hospital to the cover of Time magazine and multiple appearances on Johnny Carson's couch. He is a brilliant scientist out of touch with his own feelings, and she is a single working mother ahead of her time. The series chronicles their unusual lives, romance, and unlikely pop culture trajectory.

Videos: (please spoiler tag discussion as appropriate)

Cast:

Links:

Season 3 Casting News:

- Isabelle Fuhrman Joins ‘Masters Of Sex’

The Showtime drama has cast Isabelle Fuhrman in a major recurring role as
Virginia Johnson’s daughter Tessa.

Fuhrman takes over the role of Tessa from child actress Kayla Madison who played the girl for the first two seasons.

- Josh Charles Joins ‘Masters Of Sex’

Charles will play Daniel Logan,
a self-made businessman working in the scent industry. In an attempt to bottle the smell of sex and market an aphrodisiac to the general public, Dan seeks out Masters and Johnson’s expertise on desire. A charismatic salesman, Dan’s involvement with the duo becomes complicated.

- 'Masters of Sex' Adds Tate Donovan and Julie Ann Emery

Donovan will play Graham,
a confident scientist whose relationship with Margaret Scully (Allison Janney) brings them to Masters and Johnson’s clinic.

Emery will play Jo,
a woman who seeks help dealing with a unique relationship.

- Heléne Yorke Returns To ‘Masters Of Sex’

Heléne Yorke, who recurred heavily on Season 1, is returning for the upcoming third season of the period drama. Yorke plays Jane Martin, the seemingly unassuming hospital secretary who became Virginia Johnson’s first major recruit for her sex study with Dr. William Masters. Jane went on to star in the video footage for the study, earning the affection of the aspiring filmmaker hired to shoot it, Lester (Kevin Christy).

The duo’s quirky chemistry and budding romance were a highlight of Masters Of Sex‘s first season but that was shelved in Season 2 because Yorke was unavailable, co-starring in Bullets Over Broadway on stage.

- Sarah Silverman Confirmed To Return To ‘Masters Of Sex’

Sarah Silverman will reprise her role as Helen on the third season of Masters Of Sex. After appearing in two episodes in Season 2, Silverman will return for a multi-episode arc in the third go-round.

Poster:

ftvtRsT.jpg

Promo Pictures:

Sober

Jane is back, Betty is still awesome and Libby got an upgrade I hope. They really want me to like blondes don't they?

The other day I was just wondering when this show was coming back. I wonder how many years they will skip ahead this time? It was kind of weird doing that all within one season.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I need to pick up the first season and watch this. Been holding out for too long, and now that Mad Men's over I really have no excuse.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sepinwall - Review: 'Masters of Sex' finds the right balance between fact and fictionalization

"Masters of Sex" doesn't have to be all the details of the lives of Masters and Johnson. But its deviations from the record have to be compelling or illuminating enough to be worth it. Last year, they rarely were; so far this year, they are. The show has always had those great performances at the center, but was bumpy in other areas last year. As the fictionalized Masters and Johnson begin promoting their own writing, "Masters of Sex" has in turn remembered what is special about telling this particular story in this way.

Seigyoku

We watched the first episode on On Demand tonight.

We being, as usual, myself and parents.

No spoilers but...

THE FEELS!

And of course, me crawling under whatever I could find at mom's commentary/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season premiere tonight:

Parliament of Owls

Season 3 begins with Masters and Johnson facing the press for the first time as they prepare to publish their study. As they do so, they recall last year's summer vacation when Bill was finishing work on their book, Virginia was facing parenting struggles, and Libby was pulling herself out from beneath a deep depression.

Did anyone watch it? I wonder why they put that disclaimer in the end? Did the real life children of Masters and Johnson sue Showtime or something?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did anyone watch it?

I did but I forgot to comment, heh. (where is everyone else though??)

I thought it was a very promising start. The time jump was a bit jarring in that it...wasn't really jarring at all. It doesn't feel like much has changed since last season.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Virginia's two kids - adding bratty teens to a cast is almost never a good idea. We'll see how it goes I guess.

I wonder why they put that disclaimer in the end? Did the real life children of Masters and Johnson sue Showtime or something?

It basically an anti lawsuit measure because the children of Masters and Johnson are still living and the characters on the show are entirely fictional.

Sober

Not a crazy long time jump but you could tell everyone had like white streaks in their hair except maybe Libby lol.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Virginia's two kids - adding bratty teens to a cast is almost never a good idea. We'll see how it goes I guess.

It basically an anti lawsuit measure because the children of Masters and Johnson are still living and the characters on the show are entirely fictional.
I think if the point of the season is those two families basically coming closer together then maybe. I'm sure we'll see more scenes of Masters and Johnson kids interacting. Most of them were fine tbh.

Also yeah I guess in that way the disclaimer makes sense cause yikes at what happened in the first episode.

Bill Masters, Father of the Year.

Seigyoku

Did anyone watch it? I wonder why they put that disclaimer in the end? Did the real life children of Masters and Johnson sue Showtime or something?

While both had kids, they don't match up to the ages of the kids on the show, they changed the kids name (for legal reasons) and heck, I think they gave Masters an extra kid. So basically they are saying the storylines directly involving the children are made up. (For example even last season, Virginia never turned over main custody of her children, from the first season, while the Masters DID have trouble conceiving and it WAS because of Bill's sperm, and they DID use his techniques to have their kids, both children were born long before Bill met Virginia, and in fact both of their sons were close enough in age to have been playmates during their bizarro joint family vacations.)

Yes, the join vacations were a real thing lol.

Linius

Watching now. Crazy Libby is best Libby.

It's weird seeing the kids at this age.

EDIT

Well that was a great first episode for the season. Some awkward moments, mostly due to having teenagers on board now. Very interested in seeing where they will go from here. I liked that they kept switching back and forward between the family weekend and the press conference.

While both had kids, they don't match up to the ages of the kids on the show, they changed the kids name (for legal reasons) and heck, I think they gave Masters an extra kid. So basically they are saying the storylines directly involving the children are made up. (For example even last season, Virginia never turned over main custody of her children, from the first season, while the Masters DID have trouble conceiving and it WAS because of Bill's sperm, and they DID use his techniques to have their kids, both children were born long before Bill met Virginia, and in fact both of their sons were close enough in age to have been playmates during their bizarro joint family vacations.)

Yes, the join vacations were a real thing lol.
Interesting about the shared vacations. It was so weird to me. Made me feel uneasy, and this was before Virginia's daughter got drunk and wanted to fuck Bill lol.

UrbanRats

First episode had a good energy, i liked it.

I hope Bill will grow a bit as a character though, i'm starting to get annoyed by his complete inability for self criticism.

Yeah, agree with everyone else. I liked the premiere, and the family dynamic makes it pretty interesting. Not sure about the kids yet, but I guess we'll see.

Looking forward to having Jane back!

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really liked the first season of this show, and bailed halfway through the second. It was just not good. I heard about S3 today while listening to a podcast and ehh... I'm gonna skip. I hope they righted the ship though!

Seigyoku

So father decided to replace his cable box with one that could do 3D... And of course now gets zero channels.

And now he's in the hospital (NOT BECAUSE OF CABLE). So highly unlikely I'll see tonight's episode any time soon.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So father decided to replace his cable box with one that could do 3D... And of course now gets zero channels.

And now he's in the hospital (NOT BECAUSE OF CABLE). So highly unlikely I'll see tonight's episode any time soon.

Subscribe to Showtime's standalone streaming service! Never be without Showtime again!

Linius

Showtime is fucking killing it lately. The Affair, Masters of Sex and Penny Dreadful are all great. And Homeland's last season was pretty good as well.

UrbanRats

Showtime is fucking killing it lately. The Affair, Masters of Sex and Penny Dreadful are all great. And Homeland's last season was pretty good as well.

This reminds me, The Affair really should've been a 1 off thing miniseries.

But so should've been Homeland, after all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone watch the new episode? I thought it was quite good although it's throwing me for a loop by just how much time they're jumping through this season - I mean, they introduced Virginia's pregnancy (technically it was at the very end of last week's episode) and then had her carry it to term all in a single episode. Hopefully things slow down a bit in the coming weeks because right now I'm feeling a bit whiplash-y.

Linius

Yeah, I had the same feeling. Was a bit rushed. They also just a weird fade out thing to stress the fact that we're skipping insane amounts of time between scenes. Still a solid episode though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Judy Greer will guest star in an upcoming episode as
Alice Logan, the wife of Dan Logan (guest star Josh Charles), the perfume magnate who approaches Masters and Johnson about bottling the smell of sex. A recovering alcoholic and long-suffering spouse, Alice joins her husband and Masters and Johnson for a painful dinner in which agendas collide, truths are exposed and no relationship emerges in the state it entered.

Toa TAK

Banned
Damn, why isn't this thread bigger? I just binged the whole show this past week and it's fantastic. Just the right amount of dramatization of their story. And to think I was lured only by the two leads.

I didn't think the recent episode was rushed, glad they didn't drag out the pregnancy as most shows would. The jump from last season to now is pretty great in just seeing how everyone has kinda evolved with their families and finally getting to the publishing of the book.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

The Excitement of Release

Masters and Johnson try to capitalize on their growing fame; Libby tries to maintain her social life outside of her friendship with Virginia; Tessa is negatively affected at school by her mother's sudden place in the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom