• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShpjYvs.jpg

Masters of Sex is an American television drama series at Showtime that premieres on Sunday, September 29th at 10pm. It was created by Michelle Ashford and based on Thomas Maier's biography Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson. The series tells the story of Dr. William Masters (Michael Sheen) and Virginia Johnson (Lizzy Caplan) and was picked up for a first season consisting of 12 episodes.

The full pilot is available on Showtime's youtube account if you'd like to watch it there. It is also available via On Demand platforms and on Showtime's website.
Showtime said:
MASTERS OF SEX stars Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan as real-life pioneers of the science of human sexuality, William Masters and Virginia Johnson. Their research touched off the sexual revolution and took them from a midwestern teaching hospital to the cover of Time magazine and multiple appearances on Johnny Carson's couch. He is a brilliant scientist out of touch with his own feelings, and she is a single working mother ahead of her time. The series chronicles their unusual lives, romance, and unlikely pop culture trajectory.

Videos
Cast:
LIBUnec.jpg
Mc9x5nx.jpg
gT3loZ0.jpg
lplKU2T.jpg

Michael Sheen as William Masters
Lizzy Caplan as Virginia Johnson
Caitlin FitzGerald as Libby Johnson
Nicholas D'Agosto as Ethan Haas

n6oG6R1.jpg
SNHZUaM.jpg
e04XdRn.jpg
oRdAozu.jpg

Teddy Sears as Dr. Austin Langham
Beau Bridges as Barton Scully
Allison Janney as Margaret Scully
Julianne Nicholson as Dr. Lillian DePaul​

yMKxbgM.jpg

Links:
Reviews:
- Tim Goodman @ THR: Masters of Sex: TV Review
Perhaps the best story of all is that Masters of Sex manages, with lightning speed, to shed any preconceived notions about what type of show it will be and, in so doing, tilts the camera up from the breast to the brain.

The Bottom Line: Masters of Sex has depth of vision and plenty of dramatic material to delve into.
- Washington Post: ‘Masters of Sex’ on Showtime
“Masters of Sex” masters the restrained narrative equivalent of seduction and foreplay, building its story in a controlled and stylish (and, yes, frankly adult-oriented) manner. This TV season has failed to arouse me, but if there’s one show that might hit the right spot on the Sunday DVR queue, it’s this one. Grade: B+
- Chicago Sun Times: ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,’ ‘Masters of Sex’
It makes the most of its pay-TV platform by showing plenty of skin, but the sex scenes service a bigger story made all the more compelling by a couple of strong leads in Michael Sheen (“Frost/Nixon”) and Lizzy Caplan (“Party Down”). 3.5 out of 4 stars

Poster:

Caplan is fantastic. I was initially frustrated that her character from the Avengers DVD short "Item 47" wasn't going to be part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but honestly this looks like a much better use of her time and talent. Love Michael Sheen too, feels too long since I've seen him in anything major.

Now to pray Showtime doesn't drag this on for 8 seasons.

in the wild
Ah, I suppose that's unsurprising given how often Showtime 'accidentally' leaks stuff.

Regarding spoilers, feel free to speak in general terms about the first couple episodes if you've seen them, but please throw some tags on it if anyone wants to discuss specific plot points. Thanks.

omgkitty

I must say if you don't want to be spoiled on the show, don't look up information about the original doctors on wikipedia like I did :\

Busty

Banned
I've heard good things about this but it's not really ringing my bell at the moment despite being a big fan of period dramas and the actors involved.

I sort of want to find a classy way of asking if
Lizzy Caplan gets ploughed in it
without actually asking if

Sooooo....., does
?????

Lizzy Caplan looks just like Sean Young from Blade Runner.

Except with 90% less crazy.

Hari Seldon

Will definitely be watching this. Dropping HBO until GoT season. Rocking the Homeland + Lizzy Caplan combo for the fall.

I've heard good things about this but it's not really ringing my bell at the moment despite being a big fan of period dramas and the actors involved.

Sooooo....., does
?????

yes

Hari Seldon

Sooooo....., does
?????

She had some excellent scenes with Jason Stackhouse in True Blood the season she was in it.

Clevinger

Sooooo....., does
?????

Lizzy Caplan rides a lot of farm equipment in this show, yes.

0iuK2zV.jpg

UrbanRats

So how's the writing in this? I like slow burners, but only if they're excellently written.
Is this on the level of something like Rectify? And how's the tone? I'm not really in the mood for a comedy.

Clevinger

So how's the writing in this? I like slow burners, but only if they're excellently written.
Is this on the level of something like Rectify? And how's the tone? I'm not really in the mood for a comedy.

Well written. Tone is mostly serious. I dunno if it's as good as Rectify, but it's good. So far. I wouldn't really say it's that slow either.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm very much looking forward to this. I'll probably watch the pilot sometime before Sunday. Good to know the YouTube version isn't censored.

I'm interested to see how the show handles homosexuality since it was considered to be a "psychological disorder" at the time, and considering the fact that Masters and Johnson ran a gay-to-straight conversion center later in their careers.

All the guys are big prudes compared to the women.

BOOOOOOOO

I must say if you don't want to be spoiled on the show, don't look up information about the original doctors on wikipedia like I did :\

What is there to spoil, really?

- Variety: Showtime’s ‘Masters of Sex’
In cable TV terms, “Masters of Sex” feels like a triumph of concept and casting even before you get to the perfectly entertaining series birthed out of those two well-devised elements. Revisiting 1950s sexual mores through the pioneering research of Masters & Johnson, the show (derived from a book by Thomas Maier) features Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan in the central roles, while providing legitimate cover for lots of explicit a-big-reason-we-pay-for-Showtime sex and nudity.

Clevinger

What is there to spoil, really?

Eh, I think you might realize after watching the pilot. It's a pretty important part of Sheen's character and his motivation for the research.

Most people
would probably guess it will happen on their own
, but I can see why people wouldn't want to know.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh, I think you might realize after watching the pilot. It's a pretty important part of Sheen's character and his motivation for the research.

Most people
would probably guess it will happen on their own
, but I can see why people wouldn't want to know.

I've read through their wiki pages before, and I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about. Is it
the fact that he has Parkinsons?
Are they building that up as a big reveal later on or something? lol

Reeks

hmmm Interesting premise, but shitstains, it looks like every one in those promo shots needs a good lay.

Clevinger

I've read through their wiki pages before, and I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about. Is it
the fact that he has Parkinsons?
Are they building that up as a big reveal later on or something? lol

Huh. I didn't even know about that. :p
SPOILERS
In the pilot Masters' wife's infertility is a big part of the story, and she becomes friends with Virginia. I'm talking about the fact that he eventually divorces his wife and marries Virginia.

Rectify is in a class above. I'm a bit worried for Sheen and Caplan. I hope they don't get stuck in a declining Showtime series for 5+ seasons like Michael C Hall. But yeah, the first two episodes are pretty good.

GQman2121

Banned
I've seen the first two episodes and Caplan is the pacesetter when it comes to the sexuality on the show. It also doesn't hurt that it's very entertaining. I hope people here get into it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Huh. I didn't even know about that. :p

Oops, hopefully I didn't spoil anything for you. :x Sorry!

SPOILERS
In the pilot Masters' wife's infertility is a big part of the story, and she becomes friends with Virginia. I'm talking about the fact that he eventually divorces his wife and marries Virginia.

Ah, okay. I could see how that might be a spoiler. Thanks for the clarification.

Clevinger

I'm a bit worried for Sheen and Caplan. I hope they don't get stuck in a declining Showtime series for 5+ seasons like Michael C Hall. But yeah, the first two episodes are pretty good.

Yeah, I could see this show becoming soap opera garbage after a couple seasons. Hopefully Sheen ditches it if that happens.

Oops, hopefully I didn't spoil anything for you. :x Sorry!

YOU RAT BASTARD!

Nah. I don't care about spoilers in historical shows. Fist thing I did after I finished the pilot was hit up their wikis.

Jeels

This show seems to have none of the subtlety of a Mad Men, but I'm only 15 minutes in. Does it get better?

Clevinger

This show seems to have none of the subtlety of a Mad Men, but I'm only 15 minutes in. Does it get better?

If you really stopped it 15 minutes in to ask people on the internet if it gets better, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're not going to like it.

RangersFan

Did anyone see the space they setup for this show on the corner of Bowery and Delancey in NYC? Passed by them setting up the other day, no idea what they were doing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom