• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Also, where has Virginia's ex-husband went to? I can't remember if something significant happened to make him disappear, but he wasn't in the last few episodes.
Kind of weird, since he appeared to be a pretty invasive character in the previous ones.

You mean Beau Bridges? If he only signed on for one season, there's always a chance that he'll sign on for another.

It's a few of things that have me thinking that:

1) He's on another show (as is Allison Janney)
2) He's listed as a guest
3) I suspect that the show if going to jump forward and change setting at some point (perhaps soon) as the research enters different phases. While the show doesn't adhere to hostory in the details, it does in the broad sweeps and I think they're going to ditch the University eventually

I could be wrong, I am absolutely the worst predictor of just about everything.

EDIT: I have no clue if he signed for one season or more. Just the above have me thinking that way.

Linius

Loved the episode. That little racist remark with Libby in the hospital, oh boy :O

9t0.gif

Leeness

Finally caught up, Scully and Margaret make me really sad :(

Also haha the end. "WE ARE THE FIRST TO SEE THE INSIDE OF A VAG FOR SCIENCE I'M SO HORNY"

Oh Bill.

vikki

So far in this series, I don't care about a majority of the characters. I want to like Masters, I like Lizzie's character, I like the blonde nurse, the female prostitute, Master's wife a little, and everyone else I really could fast forward through. The blonde doctor is a tool, the warden and friends are pretty boring, Master's student doctor is not interesting, and the other female doctor seems silly so far. I will continue to watch it when I can, but I hope the show hits it's stride sometime soon.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very good episode this week. The scenes with Master's mom were golden. Also lol @ Vivian not knowing what a foreskin is. "It looked like an anteater!"

I didn't like this episode as much as the last couple, but still pretty great. Hard to top last week, though.

I like just about everything in this show except Libby's parts (post miscarriage).

I once got the "I don't think we can be together becuase of your religion" thing once (despite not being religious) so that brought back a semi-painful memory. It was as much of a rationalization then as it was in the show.

UrbanRats

Liked this episode.

I can see Bill confessing the truth to Virginia, and things turning out semi-ok, after all he wasn't planning on falling for her, and the study wasn't a scam to get into her pants or anything shady like that (plus she's obviously confused herself) but with Libby, there is no way he's going to explain shit to her, without it getting messy.

The parts with Bill's mom were great.

Good thing Vivian and Haas dropped the marriage, better now than later, tbh.
Although Haas should've been upfront with his reasons.

That was Ashley Johnson (voice of Ellie in The Last of Us) as the pregnant girl Flora from the study, wasn't it? Funny to hear her voice on this show.

Ionian

It's funny to see so few replies on this thread compared to other shows. I'd expect there are going to be plenty of LTTP threads popping up once more people are introduced to it down the road.

UrbanRats

Fallout indeed.
Good, dense episode, lot of shit going down.

Didn't love how they got out the Provost's homosexuality, my only gripe; it felt forced.

And damn i cringed hard when the chancellor shot down the advances of Lillian.
Felt real bad for her, goddamn; she's one of my favorite characters, so far.

That was Ashley Johnson (voice of Ellie in The Last of Us) as the pregnant girl Flora from the study, wasn't it? Funny to hear her voice on this show.

Indeed she was.
I recognized her immediately, mostly because i remember her (for some reason) from "What Women Want", the movie with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt.
She played the daughter in that one.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of this show? Terrible acting (with the exception of Michael Sheen) and terrible writing, what am I missing to enjoy this show?
doze caplan tits tho

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;92327764 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of this show? Terrible acting (with the exception of Michael Sheen) and terrible writing, what am I missing to enjoy this show?
doze caplan tits tho

Any semblance of taste?

The show is great. It's easily the best new drama of the fall.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Another good episode, though, like Sepinwall, I felt that the atom bomb drill aspect was a little too "HEY GUYS THIS IS THE 50s!!".

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Another good episode, though, like Sepinwall, I felt that the atom bomb drill aspect was a little too "HEY GUYS THIS IS THE 50s!!".

It did feel very clumsy and contributed very little to the story. At least when Mad Men does its historical episodes it adds to the thematics or the narrative.

Macka

There's a pretty jarring leap at the start of episode 7.

At the end of episode 6 Virginia undresses and is about to prove to Bill that it's possible for a woman to reach orgasm through breast stimulation alone, and then in episode 7 they are having sex.
Am I missing something? It seemed to come out of nowhere.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There's a pretty jarring leap at the start of episode 7.

At the end of episode 6 Virginia undresses and is about to prove to Bill that it's possible for a woman to reach orgasm through breast stimulation alone, and then in episode 7 they are having sex.
Am I missing something? It seemed to come out of nowhere.

They had previously discussed actually participating in the study themselves. We saw the start of it, then the show jumped a few weeks ahead. They haven't been shy about skipping time.

Macka

They had previously discussed actually participating in the study themselves. We saw the start of it, then the show jumped a few weeks ahead. They haven't been shy about skipping time.
Yeah I knew they had discussed it before, I just didnt expect it to happen so soon! Especially watching those two episodes back to back...it seemed to be a continuation of the same scene, which is why it felt so jarring to me.

Danj

So I didn't know that the real Masters and Johnson actually published a couple of books about their study:

Unsurprisingly there's no ebook versions of these. I did wonder whether Showtime might be missing a trick in not producing some kind of tie-in edition (is that a dumb idea? I know it's basically a medical textbook, but it seems like the content would be of interest to ordinary people as well?).

someday

Banned
Just watched the most recent episode. Holy FUCK this show is incredible! I just...it's really good. I actually enjoy every single plot-line whether it's Masters and Johnson, the chairman's wife, the tall blond doctor, Virginia's new beau, the female doctor, the blond secretary or the photographer.
Yeah, I suck at names.
Every episode just gets better and better.

Just watched the most recent episode. Holy FUCK this show is incredible! I just...it's really good. I actually enjoy every single plot-line whether it's Masters and Johnson, the chairman's wife, the tall blond doctor, Virginia's new beau, the female doctor, the blond secretary or the photographer.
Yeah, I suck at names.

lmao, not even a single name outside of masters and johnson

UrbanRats

Yeah, I suck at names.

Don't feel bad, i'm like you with the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom