• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

That was a great finale to a great season if you ask me. Seeing the world fall apart around Bill was very harsh to look at. Sheen was doing such a great job with that. The presentation, the talk with Scully and that bobo, the bar scene and the finale season with Virginia were all great. And talking about homo sexuality as a sickness is taking things pretty far, respect for Showtime that they dare to represent that era of life with all it's flaws including racism, discrimination and other weird thoughts people had back then.

Masters of Sex definitely deserves praise and hopefully the show generates enough viewers for Showtime to keep going on for a while. As pointed out, there's enough material for a long run. With Showtime it's always a guess though if they can maintain the same quality. Let's hope for the best.

Amir0x

Banned
man my fiancee just couldn't stop raving about this show.

"You've gotta watch this, it's amazing! It's a true story! It's called Masters of Sex and it's on Showtime!"

"What's it about?"

"Well this doctor and his female assistant work on a groundbreaking study of human sexual response and... well they monitor how they have sex and how titillated they are and..."

"Wait. This show is called 'Masters of Sex.' And...and it's all about people having sex all the time for a study? And you want me to watch it? And...who's in it?"

"Michael Sheen and... that girl, um, from Party Down."

"LIZY CHAPLAN!?"

"Yes!"

"DOES SHE TAKE PART IN THIS SEX STUDY?"

"Well...yes...I guess you could say that!"

"YES WE MUST WATCH THIS SHOW FOR GREAT JUSTICE, I BET IT IS AWESOME TV, BETTER THAN MAD MEN, LET'S WATCH THIS."

*three hours into the show*

"Damn...this show is pretty damn good. Actually! Michael Sheen is ace! I will now follow this show."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"LIZY CHAPLAN!?"

"Yes!"

"DOES SHE TAKE PART IN THIS SEX STUDY?"

"Well...yes...I guess you could say that!"

"YES WE MUST WATCH THIS SHOW FOR GREAT JUSTICE, I BET IT IS AWESOME TV, BETTER THAN MAD MEN, LET'S WATCH THIS."

Lizzy Caplan's character is, unfortunately, one of the least interesting parts of the show imo.

Amir0x

Banned
Lizzy Caplan's character is, unfortunately, one of the least interesting parts of the show imo.

that's ok bro i wasn't in it for the, uhm, depth of her role ;)

but notice how I praise Michael Sheen! He's so good!

Edit: Also does that Doctor Hoss ever stop being pathetic? lol

Amir0x

Banned
Thankfully, yes.

Haha, yeah he's definitely a bit better now although goddamn what a fucking idiot with Valerie. What is wrong with this fool :p

Also does this show make anyone else feel like they must be the worst fucking Neanderthals during sex ever? Like, shit, I never thought I was GREAT in bed or anything, but this movie makes me feel like I should fucking start studying again and have a long talk with my fiancee about her teaching me more explicitly what she wants, like, take study courses on fucking and shit lol

UrbanRats

Finally caught up with the last 2 episodes.

Goddamn i hate these stupid cliffhangers in this type of show.
They're good for something more pulpy like Lost or Breaking Bad, or even Game of Thrones, but for shows that are completely character driven, it's just frustrating!

Otherwise, nice going as usual.
I was quite tense through the whole presentation.

I'm very LTTP on this, but I'm through four episodes and like it a lot, despite some pacing problems. I should have it done within the next week and can comment further.

That said, I absolutely loathe the credits sequence. It's cheesy and doesn't fit the tone of the show at all.

I'm very LTTP on this, but I'm through four episodes and like it a lot, despite some pacing problems. I should have it done within the next week and can comment further.

That said, I absolutely loathe the credits sequence. It's cheesy and doesn't fit the tone of the show at all.

Repressed sexual innuendos don't fit the time period?

UrbanRats

Perhaps, but not in the manner they're presented in that credits sequence. It makes the show look like a quirky sex romp instead of a grounded, intelligent drama centered on sex research.

I actually agree with you.
The tone of that intro is at odds with the usual tone of the show.

My mom would disown me if she saw me watching this.

My mom loves thrillers, so she's willing to overlook a bit of nudity on a show like Homeland, but she has pretty much no tolerance for a show like this.

Love the woman, but she can be such a prude. Dad, meanwhile, couldn't possibly give a fuck. He just laughs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My mom loves thrillers, so she's willing to overlook a bit of nudity on a show like Homeland, but she has pretty much no tolerance for a show like this.

Love the woman, but she can be such a prude. Dad, meanwhile, couldn't possibly give a fuck. He just laughs.

My parents would work well as characters on this show. They're fine with super graphic violence, but the moment you get a sex scene, any talk of sex, or nudity (even if it's in a totally non sexual manner) they rush to shut the TV off.

My parents would work well as characters on this show. They're fine with super graphic violence, but the moment you get a sex scene, any talk of sex, or nudity (even if it's in a totally non sexual manner) they rush to shut the TV off.

The word "masturbation" sets Mom off. It's hysterical.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The word "masturbation" sets Mom off. It's hysterical.

Oh god, then you can imagine the horror I experienced while sitting in the theater next to my parents during the masturbation scene in the first Transformers film. It physically pains me to relive that memory. :(

Bummer. My mom actually watches this show. Hell, she even watches Shameless. She's pretty cool for someone in her 60s.

Cool moms :(

It was enough to send my mom into a tizzy when she caught me watching it on-demand while visiting for the holidays.

Which was pretty amusing, actually.

Heh, showed the first episode of Game of Thrones to my parents. My Dad is now a big fan of the show, but needless to say my Mother had no interest in watching beyond the first one.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Michael Sheen was robbed! I like Cranston plenty, but I think he was out acted this year.

Sheen's performance was a very understated one while Cranston's was pretty much the opposite. Critics tend to conflate "best" acting with "most" acting, so it's no surprise Cranston won.

Memles

According to Sepinwall, there were some earlier comments from Ashford suggesting that there was no Janney or Bridges in S2, but that isn't the case.

Yeah, I hadn't realized it was "news"—or that it contradicted Ashford's postmortem position on the issue—until I was talking to Alan about it. I'd have bothered to record the conversation and "report" on it if I had known, but as it stands all I know is she's definitely coming back, expects it to be for one or two episodes at most.

And yes, the subtext of this is that I talked to Allison Janney last night. I acknowledge the privileged position from which I post.

Frost_Ace

Oh man I wasn't expecting that Virginia and Bill's relationship was gonna turn sexual so fast, I don't want Libby to find out :(

Also, Scully and Margaret's storylines are so sad.

- Minor casting tidbit from Deadline:
Keke Palmer is set as a recurring for the second season of Showtime’s drama series Masters Of Sex, produced by Sony Pictures Television. Series centers on the pioneers of the science of human sexuality Dr. William Masters (Michael Sheen) and Virginia Johnson (Lizzy Caplan), whose research touched off the sexual revolution and took them from a mid-western teaching hospital in St. Louis to the cover of Time magazine. Palmer will play Coral,
the nanny hired by the Masters’ to care for their new baby.
Palmer, repped by WME and Laron Entertainment, can next be seen in Flower Films horror/thriller Animal, and indies Brotherly Love and Imperial Dreams.

Also, Rose McIver (Vivian Scully) got the lead in CW's iZombie, so I doubt we'll see much of her next season, if at all.

- THR: 'Breaking Bad's' Betsy Brandt Joins Showtime's 'Masters of Sex'
Betsy Brandt has boarded the second season of the Showtime drama, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Brandt will recur and play Barbara
, new secretary to Dr. William Masters (Michael Sheen). She fills the role previously held by Margo Martindale's Miss Horchow, who guest-starred in the series premiere, and Caitlin Fitzgerald's Libby, who temporarily filled in as his secretary in season one.
Lots of cast shuffling in the off season for MoS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom