• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full length trailer - Masters of Sex - Michael Sheen & Lizzy Caplan - Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good buzz for this show coming out of the Television Critics Association event the last couple of weeks, and they just released a full 3 minute trailer. The show premieres Sunday, September 29th on Showtime.

Here's the full length trailer. *NSFW* (youtube)

ShpjYvs.jpg

Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan star in this one-hour drama series chronicling the unusual lives, romance, and pop culture trajectory of the pioneers of the science of human sexuality, William Masters and Virginia Johnson.

Another Showtime show?

Hell yeah, sign me up, at least for the 1st Season.

If it follows the trend of other recently released ones on Showtime, it should be good for at least the first couple of seasons before turning shitty.

(see:- Dexter, Weeds, Californication and The L Word)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I lasted the full 3 minutes. Looks really good.

TERRIBLE title though. Showtime had that Masters of Horror series a couple years ago, this automatically makes me think of that. Or Masters of Science Fiction that was on ABC.

jtb

Banned
The teaser coupled with Ray Donovan looked absolutely terrible but it seems all the buzz has flipped—RD is mediocre while this seems promising.

I lasted the full 3 minutes. Looks really good.

TERRIBLE title though. Showtime had that Masters of Horror series a couple years ago, this automatically makes me think of that. Or Masters of Science Fiction that was on ABC.

That one had a few great episodes in Season 1 at least. Masters of SF is horrible.

(see:- John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns, and Imprint. Both are gems.)

anything that provides us with video of a bare chested Lizzy Caplan is something I can get behind.

True Blood got me hip to her.

Senoculum

How good does Lizzy Caplan look in this? Wow.

Subject matter is titillating enough, and Michael Sheen is a great actor. It just might be good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yes, so looking forward to this! Lizzzzyyyy 83

Another Showtime show?

If it follows the trend of other recently released ones on Showtime, it should be good for at least the first couple of seasons before turning shitty.

Don't forget Ray Donovan!!

lol

Another Showtime show?

Eh, Showtime isn't all that bad anymore. The Borgias remained awesome throughout its entire run and Shameless is consistently great.

If this is good and Homeland can pull out of its back half of season two tailspin they'll have a much better lineup than their other premium cable competition.

Eh, Showtime isn't all that bad anymore. The Borgias remained awesome throughout its entire run and Shameless is consistently great.

If this is good and Homeland can pull out of its back half of season two tailspin they'll have a much better lineup than their other premium cable competition.

And what happens to consistently good shows on Showtime like the Borgias?

They get cancelled.

(It's pretty damn ironic that I'm using your post in that thread for this purpose.)

Another Showtime show?

Pretty much the only show of theirs not victim to this, for me, has been United States of Tara. And that got cancelled, but at the right time. Also, I hear Shameless is good.

This looks like another of their high-concepts they can run into the ground. It saddens me that the premium cable competition for HBO is so weak. Showtime would never let a show take a year off like HBO would, or let it end early. They operate like a normal network with tits and c-words.

seat

I love that logo. The "E" in "SEX"? Im' sure it's most likely stolen from somewhere, but it's still awfully clever typographic design.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
BTW, just glancing through the wiki for Masters and Johnson and I noticed this interesting tidbit:

I wonder if this will be addressed in the show?

Maybe down the line, or if they mess with the chronology. I'm assuming the series kicks off in 1957.

Seems pretty definite that they'll have to deal with homosexuality in some matter, however, but perhaps not conversion therapies for a while.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Maybe down the line, or if they mess with the chronology. I'm assuming the series kicks off in 1957.

According to that interview Cornballer just posted, the show starts in 1956. Hm. So yeah, it seems like the gay conversion stuff won't happen for at least a decade after that.

Seems pretty definite that they'll have to deal with homosexuality in some matter, however, but perhaps not conversion therapies for a while.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how they deal with that.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how they deal with that.
I do hope they deal with it if they get that far in the series. It sounds like they're striving for a certain amount of realism with the biographical material, so it'd be a shame if they duck certain topics.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I do hope they deal with it if they get that far in the series. It sounds like they're striving for a certain amount of realism with the biographical material, so it'd be a shame if they duck certain topics.

For sure. I'm hoping they don't try to whitewash certain things about the past.

I've heard less than stellar things about season 1, but I'll give it a few episodes.

Really? Most of the critics seem to be really high on it.

- NPR's Fresh Air from July: Pioneering 'Masters Of Sex' Brought Science To The Bedroom
William Masters and Virginia Johnson became famous in the 1960s for their groundbreaking and controversial research into the physiology of human sexuality. Instead of just asking people about their sex lives, Masters and Johnson actually observed volunteers engaging in self-stimulation and sexual intercourse. Changes throughout their bodies during arousal were measured with medical equipment.

A new Showtime series premiering in September tells their story. It's called Masters of Sex, and it's based on the book by Thomas Maier, who is also a consultant for the series. Until Maier's book, Masters and Johnson's research techniques remained shrouded in secrecy. Maier was able to uncover information through interviews with their friends, family and former colleagues, as well as extensive interviews with Johnson, who on July 24 at the age of 88.

Masters of Sex was first published in 2009, but a new paperback edition of the book has just come out. Maier is also the author of books about the Kennedys and the famous pediatrician Benjamin Spock. He joins Fresh Air's Terry Gross to discuss Masters and Johnson's discovery of multiple and fake orgasms, as well as Masters' use of prostitutes and sex surrogates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom