• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?

Pelta88

Starfield has been positioned by XBOX as XBOX's most important ip in a generation. Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness. Which is where marketing kicks in and raises awareness that the games release is imminent. XBOX is no stranger to impressive and impactful marketing on TV and social media. However, with the game releasing in just 23 days, silence.

Even worse, and perhaps this is just my personal preference, there has been zero hands on gameplay. Sure, we got the studios deep dive but with the gaming industry being what it is, I've always valued independent gameplay hands on to get a better sense of the game beyond carefully selected segments presented by the studio itself. And again, nothing?

For a game carrying the proverbial weight of XBOX on its shoulders, a lack of marketing and hands on, independent gameplay, is interesting to say the least.

Update: I've been told from someone who is reportedly in the know that marketing begins 08 / 09-08 That’s Wednesday or Thursday this week. I am not an insider and have never claimed to be. That's just info that's been shared with me...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meagan Good Concern GIF by Harlem

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Starfield has been positioned by XBOX as XBOX's most important ip in a generation. Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness. Which is where marketing kicks in and raises awareness that the games release is imminent. XBOX is no stranger to impressive and impactful marketing on TV and social media. However, with the game releasing in just 18 days, silence.

Even worse, and perhaps this is just my personal preference, there has been zero hands on gameplay. Sure, we got the studios deep dive but with the gaming industry being what it is, I've always valued independent gameplay hands on to get a better sense of the game beyond carefully selected segments presented by the studio itself. And again, nothing?

For a game carrying the proverbial weight of XBOX on its shoulders, a lack of marketing and hands on, independent gameplay, is interesting to say the least.

I didn't think you cared so much about xbox?

Concern GIF by The Back Row Morning Show (on LTN Radio)

DaGwaphics

Somebody looked at their wishlist and pre-order numbers and was like our job is done. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I watch a lot of gaming related content on YT and things like that, I have been surprised by the lack of ads for it there. Maybe they are going to make a bigger push on release day and post launch.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Noticed this about a week ago. Seems like its been radio silence since the direct a month ago. Kinda weird. Still hyped though. Hope its a GOTY contender.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Only math is hard days left? Man, time flies. Looking forward to it.

They’ll probably ramp it up more and more until launch.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I didn't think you cared so much about xbox?

As an XBOX owner with the Starfield preordered, sure.

I constantly see ads on YouTube for it

on tikok.

every time i open the app, there is starfield ad.

Firstly, go an watch 10 youtube/tiktok vids about vacuum cleaners and then see what those apps/websites algorithms show you the next time you visit.

Secondly, could you show us these ads? As with OP, I haven't seen any or any hands on gameplay outside of what Bethesda controls.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Anecdotal evidence and all, but the only AD I've ever seen from Microsft locally for me was a small screen running a month old gamepass ad (It had Redfall and it was a month later after it's release) on a supermarket. On the same day every screen that were over every checkout spot was running TOTK, MK8 and Switch ads. I have not seen a single Starfield ad anywhere, so I guess MS doesn't think Brazil is a good place to put ads

Del_X

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that Microsoft probably does not have the hardware stock to support a big marketing push before the holidays.

Also pushing a bunch of “9/10, 10/10” stickers post-launch and playing to that might be a reason.

YouTube speculation videos are still getting tons of views. Maybe the marketing spend is just unwarranted now? Imagine the existing marketing and show-and-tell speaking for itself.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's what people said about Tears of the Kingdom. When the game is great, it'll be great.

Same with BG3.

Marketing today is really even more heavy on word of mouth and reviews.

I guess they're going to let the influencers promote it on September 1 idk it's strange not seeing any hands on previews though but Parris on Xcast said he knows someone who's playing and the info they shared got him hyped so reviews could be around the corner 🤔

Spyxos

Gold Member
Starfield has been positioned by XBOX as XBOX's most important ip in a generation. Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness. Which is where marketing kicks in and raises awareness that the games release is imminent. XBOX is no stranger to impressive and impactful marketing on TV and social media. However, with the game releasing in just 18 days, silence.

Here you go. I hope you can sleep better now.

Pelta88

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Firstly, go an watch 10 youtube/tiktok vids about vacuum cleaners and then see what those apps/websites algorithms show you the next time you visit.

Secondly, could you show us these add? As with OP, I haven't seen any or any hands on gameplay outside of what Bethesda controls.

Aye man did you forget which alt you were logged in as ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom