• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?

Varteras

Gold Member
Schitts Creek Wtf GIF by CBC

Mr Hyde

On a serious note, I don't think a game like this will need much marketing. It will sell 5 million copies right out of the gate, and then become an evergreen title that keeps on selling. MS and Bethesda are perhaps keeping the marketing light to avoid the same pitfalls they fell into during Redfall hype. But I really think it comes down to wanting to keep the mystery of the game wrapped up tight, since this is a game designed to unravel all sorts of cool shit. I for one am avoiding everything in regards to trailers, gameplay clips or such, because I want to lose myself in this world completely without spoilers. The only thing I'm interested in is to see the shape of the game at launch, and if I should wait until it's patched up or dive right in.

Stafford

This concern on Twitter too is just silly as hell. Would it be nice to see a big ad on a wall or building like they did for Skyrim years ago? Of course. And even Redfall had some good ads on a staircase somewhere, it looked cool! Overall it just would be nice to see more excitement from Bethesda's twitter account, but alas.

But it's still three weeks left, I'd be surprised if there aren't some big ads plastered in places. But if not, meh.

Vox Machina

Banned
On a serious note, I don't think a game like this will need much marketing. It will sell 5 million copies right out of the gate, and then become an evergreen title that keeps on selling. MS and Bethesda are perhaps keeping the marketing light to avoid the same pitfalls they fell into during Redfall hype. But I really think it comes down to wanting to keep the mystery of the game wrapped up tight, since this is a game designed to unravel all sorts of cool shit. I for one am avoiding everything in regards to trailers, gameplay clips or such, because I want to lose myself in this world completely without spoilers. The only thing I'm interested in is to see the shape of the game at launch, and if I should wait until it's patched up or dive right in.

Yeah it's not like there won't be insane word of mouth on a Bethesda title, and that's what drives post-launch sales.

Pelta88

No, but why even make an avatar bet? Why are you in doubt? Do you want this game to fail? Because it sure seems like it with your fake ass concern trolling.

Lack of awareness, XBOX's take on GP cannibalizing sales coupled with a bunch of other GP statistics which Microsoft has a negative sentiment about in private... Which is now public... Combined with your high expectations.

I was trying to make it interesting. I was not expecting it to hit a nerve as I thought you believed in your previous statement. Don't take it too seriously. I've still got my preorder lol

Last edited:

Pelta88

Update: I've been told from someone who is reportedly in the know that marketing begins 08 / 09-08 That’s Wednesday or Thursday this week. I am not an insider and have never claimed to be. That's just info that's been shared with me...

Last edited:

Tomeru

Somebody looked at their wishlist and pre-order numbers and was like our job is done. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I watch a lot of gaming related content on YT and things like that, I have been surprised by the lack of ads for it there. Maybe they are going to make a bigger push on release day and post launch.
You spelled game pass wrong.

Fredrik

Update: I've been told from someone who is reportedly in the know that marketing begins 08 / 09-08 That’s Wednesday or Thursday this week. I am not an insider and have never claimed to be. That's just info that's been shared with me...
Thanks for posting! I think that’s when the preload goes live as well.

Kinda understand your concern but it’s cool to hear that you’ll still be there early like me and many others. Personally I can barely remember when I was looking forward to a game this much. I won’t play it on Xbox though, and that’s where my concern pops up, they still haven’t shown the PC version as far as I know. Hopefully they start doing that as well when the real marketing kicks off.

Pelta88

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde take the bet, OP can't even count to 20.

Facts! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thanks for posting! I think that’s when the preload goes live as well.

Kinda understand your concern but it’s cool to hear that you’ll still be there early like me and many others. Personally I can barely remember when I was looking forward to a game this much. I won’t play it on Xbox though, and that’s where my concern pops up, they still haven’t shown the PC version as far as I know. Hopefully they start doing that as well when the real marketing kicks off.

Relayed to me from a popular XBOX youtuber. I'm not sure how credible but I am hopeful it kicks in and we get some SX gameplay. Finally.

Last edited:
Do we have a Starfield review date? :pie_thinking:

I'll keep a game preordered right up until a few days of shipping, if I'm interested, but can't find any hands on experience. That's just basic due diligence. I have zero regard for who is publishing / developing the game. If they (Dev/Pub) refuse to showcase gameplay via giving people hands on, that's problematic. In my younger years, I wouldn't care. No hands on gameplay? No problem. My hype would see me through...

Today, having been a gamer for years and knowing what refusal to showcase independent gameplay means, I'll cancel that preorder. In short, no independent gameplay, no buy. The industry has done us dirty time and time again, using that strategy.

It's a "Fool me once..." kinda thing. A problematic release trend that the industry forced me to recognize.

Pretty strategic.
I would argue you have a very uncommon and specific expectation for pre-release game coverage that most do not have. Most games do not publish the dates reviews go live, and in fact, many games nowadays have an NDA and press isn't allowed to disclose exactly when reviews are allowed to be published (see: basically all Nintendo games).

Also, there have been hands-on of Starfield with media, it was back in June/July. Maybe you missed it, I dunno what to tell ya.

Ozriel

M$FT

People have shared pictures and videos of actual marketing of the game in this thread. Actual Starfield themed peripherals have been on sale for over a month.
And you’re saying ‘marketing hasn’t started and begins tomorrow or next”?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

I'll keep a game preordered right up until a few days of shipping, if I'm interested, but can't find any hands on experience. That's just basic due diligence. I have zero regard for who is publishing / developing the game. If they (Dev/Pub) refuse to showcase gameplay via giving people hands on, that's problematic. In my younger years, I wouldn't care. No hands on gameplay? No problem. My hype would see me through...

Today, having been a gamer for years and knowing what refusal to showcase independent gameplay means, I'll cancel that preorder. In short, no independent gameplay, no buy. The industry has done us dirty time and time again, using that strategy.

It's a "Fool me once..." kinda thing. A problematic release trend that the industry forced me to recognize.

This makes no sense when the game releases to Premium, early access buyers 5 days before your claimed preorder ships. Press will have it up and reviewed. Over a million will be playing it. Tons of impressions everywhere on social media, Twitch, etc.

You already know this, because this was pointed out in other threads.

Ah well. It’s you.

salva

Can't say I've seen a single ad for starfield.
When do previews usually drop?
I know this will be a Bethesda buggy mess, but I've got a feeling we haven't seen any additional gameplay footage, or PC footage because this will be cyberpunk launch levels: fucked.

Eotheod

Your title hurts my head OP. I quote literally did not know what you were talking about until reading the OP. Even then I'm still left questioning why it is you are worried about a game's advertising.

RGB'D

Fooooooottttbaaaalll
It's just preseason. All the big marketing starts with the season starting 9/7 (Starfield 9/6). Imagine a ramp up 2 weeks prior to release and then hammer the ad during football games.

I feel like people are exaggerating. Who doesn't know that Starfield is coming out in September? What more marketing could this game need?

Exactly. It’s a silly argument for sure. Mario 3D All-Stars was confirmed to exist and announced 2 weeks before it came out. Literally 2 weeks. Sold 9+ million copies.

Everyone who’s going to buy Starfield on day one has made their decision already. The marketing is really for undecideds and more casual players to build up hype and get the word out.

Myself, I’ve got such a huge backlog and a baby girl on the way, I’m prolly waiting 6+ months. At least. But I’m not pretending like I need to see more marketing for a game I already know more about than I needed to make a decision on whether to buy it or not. Definitely a Yes, just waiting til I have the time to play it.

I was a Yes even before the June Direct. It’s a BGS single player open world RPG set in space. Ever played Skyrim, Oblivion, ever played Fallout 3 or 4? Ok, like honestly what else do you need to know, either that sounds like your cup of tea or it doesn’t, right? Marketing is not geared toward avid game fans who peruse online videogame forums. We all know everything important that’s going on in the world of games, that’s why we’re here 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I guess that after 98 million people have watched the deep dive on starfield. The target market is aware and MS do not need to advertise the game anymore. It is a steamy pile of hot shit. And the flies/rats are hungry.

I had not seen people this excited since Red Fall release or halo Infinite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom