• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's almost like Microsoft is concerned with software...
Jack Black Smile GIF

Series S is keeping it from going Gold!!! . . ./s

Seriously though, think it'll go gold or is that a thing of the past for some games?

Pelta88

Just saw this...I wonder how will Xbox push their eco system into the hands of samsung tv owners? Pay for homescreen marketing , flood apps with this? I haven't seen much marketing but this is a bigger deal than I think is being let on. Biggest game of their year doesn't need their console, just a controller. Honestly should bundle new TV's with a controller.

F28zI1dWUAABgI_

This goes back a while.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Just saw this...I wonder how will Xbox push their eco system into the hands of samsung tv owners? Pay for homescreen marketing , flood apps with this? I haven't seen much marketing but this is a bigger deal than I think is being let on. Biggest game of their year doesn't need their console, just a controller. Honestly should bundle new TV's with a controller.
The same way they will push their ecosystem on Steam... they won't. I am not sure why people think MS games are about Xbox only.

The same way they will push their ecosystem on Steam... they won't. I am not sure why people think MS games are about Xbox only.
I don't I think its cool to be able to play games without a box. I play my Xbox games on my PC...I'm talking about pushing it harder but i also am heavily involved in gaming so I probably don't see the ads for a game I'm getting anyway.

Sorcerer

Microsoft is too busy marketing pizza scented controllers, that you cannot actually buy. Who has time for Starfield?

Last edited:

NickFire

Regardless of whatever else they do, I would guess we see a lot of ads during NFL coverage that is about to ramp back up.

PaNaMa

Banned
OP is taking some (mostly) good natured shit for the post, but I agree with him. Xbox is taking it on the chin over and over these past couple years, and now the Baldur's gate 3 debacle and news there will be no mid gen refresh ... despite both Nintendo and Sony likely releasing new hardware next year. Xbox is kind of sinking like a stone. I expected we would be bombarded with Starfield stuff by now, for distraction as much as promotion at this point. I'm not "concerned" just annoyed as hell with Xbox and all its doing and failing to do at the moment

Starfield has been positioned by XBOX as XBOX's most important ip in a generation. Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness. Which is where marketing kicks in and raises awareness that the games release is imminent. XBOX is no stranger to impressive and impactful marketing on TV and social media. However, with the game releasing in just 23 days, silence.

Even worse, and perhaps this is just my personal preference, there has been zero hands on gameplay. Sure, we got the studios deep dive but with the gaming industry being what it is, I've always valued independent gameplay hands on to get a better sense of the game beyond carefully selected segments presented by the studio itself. And again, nothing?

For a game carrying the proverbial weight of XBOX on its shoulders, a lack of marketing and hands on, independent gameplay, is interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Mods please change title to 23 days instead of 18. My math is unacceptable.
I thought you had no means of playing this, that’s why your concern and fear of this games has you mentally beat down?

Or am I thinking of someone else…..

LQX

The marketing for it seems very subtle, but everywhere at the same time. There is always a daily reminder that it is coming as I scroll on Reddit or Twi...X and see an ad for it. I imagine we will get the loud ads very soon with new trailers.

That said, I'm surprised they've not yet announced a fancy console for it.

Last edited:
Need to state this again:

If you are on a gaming forum like this one, you are not the target audience for who the marketing for Starfield is for. You’ve already decided whether to buy it or not based on what you already know about the game.

It seems awfully silly to be on a forum like this and complaining about a “lack of marketing” about a title that you are already planning to buy. I’m sure Bethesda and Microsoft marketing teams are doing whatever they need to do to have a successful launch. After all we are talking about the company that launched Skyrim and Fallout 4. 🤷‍♂️.

Let’s not pretend like “you might not buy Starfield if you don’t see more marketing before launch”.

Guaranteed that’s not actually a thing.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
That said, I'm surprised they've not yet announced a fancy console for it.

MS/Phil deserves to be raked over coals for this particular silliness.

Unless there’s some plans to be shared later at Gamescom. But it doesn’t look that likely

MS/Phil deserves to be raked over coals for this particular silliness.

Unless there’s some plans to be shared later at Gamescom. But it doesn’t look that likely

They did the special edition headset and controllers. Not sure I agree that there has to be a limited edition console for this. They just did one for Diablo IV. I think I’m fine with just what they’ve done with the headset and controller.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Xbox hasn't done much with traditional marketing this gen. In fact, the more marketing a game gets, the more worried we should be (see Redfall).

Pelta88

THey dont want a repeat of redfall. Let the reviews speak for itself and the hype will come.

Do we have a Starfield review date? :pie_thinking:

Let’s not pretend like “you might not buy Starfield if you don’t see more marketing before launch”.

Guaranteed that’s not actually a thing.

I'll keep a game preordered right up until a few days of shipping, if I'm interested, but can't find any hands on experience. That's just basic due diligence. I have zero regard for who is publishing / developing the game. If they (Dev/Pub) refuse to showcase gameplay via giving people hands on, that's problematic. In my younger years, I wouldn't care. No hands on gameplay? No problem. My hype would see me through...

Today, having been a gamer for years and knowing what refusal to showcase independent gameplay means, I'll cancel that preorder. In short, no independent gameplay, no buy. The industry has done us dirty time and time again, using that strategy.

It's a "Fool me once..." kinda thing. A problematic release trend that the industry forced me to recognize.

they just reduced xbox game pass trial from 30 days to 14 days to make you buy the game thats real marketing to me

Pretty strategic.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Same thing?
In one, you claim you won’t buy the game until you see independent gameplay and impressions.

In this thread, you claim you already have Starfield preordered.

I think it’s fair to ask you if you’ve now seen independent impressions.

I think there’s more reason to be skeptical about you, considering your post history around Xbox and Starfield.

They’ve certainly showed raw footage and raw gameplay, which you weirdly acknowledge in the very next line

So you agree they’ve definitely showed a lot.
It’s certainly not unreasonable to want more shown, but they’ve already informed you they’ll be featuring new looks at Starfield at Gamescom.

Marketing ramps up leading to release. That’s certainly not a new thing in entertainment

The Starfield Direct went even deeper than that ToTK trailer and certainly propelled the game to excellent preorder and wishlist position on Steam.
Fair, I should have thought through my comments a bit more. When I said raw footage, I meant more previews from journalist that viewers could see. As the footage we did get was still highly edited and only provided by Bethesda.

And what I meant about the Zelda TotK trailer comparison is that Zelda also showed a lot of footage already, but it was all very vague and there was very little story or context to what was happening until the last trailer. To be fair, I think Starfield does already have some context and story, so it kind of makes my comparison invalid.

Knightime_X

Game has been announced already and well known for years by most core gamers.

As for those living under a rock, it's better to announce when it's actively available for purchase.

If you announce too early, it won't do any good.
These types have the attention span of a fly. If they can't acquire the game immediately, they'll lose interest, give up, and move on within 24 hours.

Shubh_C63

People attention span are shorter and shorter. They have been doing some animated clips on their Youtube channel but nothing much.

I'm guessing review embargo drops on 31st Aug ?

Three

OP getting too much flack for using 18 days but that's the amount of days left minus 5 to advertise to suckers to pay for early access. Probably subtracted 5 from the wrong date (the actual early access date) .

Last edited:
Top Bottom