• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Still plenty of time left to blitz the marketing run.

I will say I do recall RedFall getting a lot more attention than starfield with early preview play events, trailers, and small ads all over the net. Felt like that was going on 2 months up to launch but I could be smoking rocks.

StereoVsn

Source?

#1 most wishlisted on Steam for months. It’s tracking better preorder positions than Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy on Steam. A month from release, it’s the 3rd highest paid game on Steam top sellers, just behind BG3 and Remnant 2.

I wouldn’t be concerned about this game with respect to awareness. As long as it lands at the required quality level, it’ll sell millions, quickly enough.
It's going to sell like crazy on Steam.

Big question is really is if it's going to drive a lot of console sales and Gamepass subs. That I wouldn't be so sure of since a lot of that audience is already built in essentially with GamePass subscriptions already at hand.

Ozriel

M$FT
Big question is really is if it's going to drive a lot of console sales and Gamepass subs. That I wouldn't be so sure of since a lot of that audience is already built in essentially with GamePass subscriptions already at hand.

It used to be the mantra here that great exclusive games drive console sales.

Curious why this no longer applies when it comes to discussions around Xbox and Starfield.

I’m also not sure how an assertion can be made that retail sales AND Gamepass subscriber growth will be depressed at the same time. Surely It’s an either-or situation?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still plenty of time left to blitz the marketing run.

I will say I do recall RedFall getting a lot more attention than starfield with early preview play events, trailers, and small ads all over the net. Felt like that was going on 2 months up to launch but I could be smoking rocks.

I already posted earlier in this topic, the game (Starfield) already has the kind of marketing OP was talking about for Spider Man 2. Bus ads, store ads, social media ads, promos, ads on console dash and others have posted ads on GAF and other websites as well.

Not much else left to market.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I already posted earlier in this topic, the game (Starfield) already has the kind of marketing OP was talking about for Spider Man 2. Bus ads, store ads, social media ads, promos and others have posted ads on GAF and other websites as well.

Just a bit perplexing as to what exactly is left in terms of marketing.

Honestly how many games a year are getting their own custom hardware produced?

I'm here looking at my Starfield controller and they're complaining that there's no marketing for this game. What am I missing?

Pelta88

It used to be the mantra here that great exclusive games drive console sales.

Curious why this no longer applies when it comes to discussions around Xbox and Starfield.

I’m also not sure how an assertion can be made that retail sales AND Gamepass subscriber growth will be depressed at the same time. Surely It’s an either-or situation?

It's not a mantra. It's a fact that has been established since the dawn of console gaming. Anyone suggesting Starfield can't do the same for XBOX if it's an incredible game, is being disingenuous.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's not a mantra. It's a fact that has been established since the dawn of console gaming. Anyone suggesting Starfield can't do the same for XBOX if it's an incredible game, is being disingenuous.
You Dont Say The Big Lebowski GIF

Ozriel

M$FT

Agreed.

Though you’ve suggested multiple times that Starfield isn’t going to do much for Xbox console sales since ‘there’s no hype’.

I suppose it’s never too late to have a change of mind. E.g your preorder.

Pelta88

Agreed.

Though you’ve suggested multiple times that Starfield isn’t going to do much for Xbox console sales since ‘there’s no hype’.

I suppose it’s never too late to have a change of mind. E.g your preorder.

You keep showcasing how consistent I am. Also I don't get your focus on my preorder. I preorder a lot of games. Search my history for "Day 1" or "Day Zero"

That aside, me saying there is no hype for this ip beyond the core is consistent with this thread. Microsoft is a marketing beast when they put their minds to it. With a game they've claimed is this important to the brand and being so close to release etc etc.

Anyways, I was told it kicks in today or tomorrow.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Either you're extremely willfully ignorant or you've finally bit the bullet on your biggest fantasy and put me on the ignore list :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yo be fair, I don't see much Starfield marketing either. But I also use an ad block, and I do my best not to go outside.

I also don't care.

Top Bottom