• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medai Create sales May 15-21

Eddz said:
I'm not from the US, but I thought "Fall" meant Autumn (when the leaves 'fall' from the trees)?

Er, yep. That starts in September in the US and goes pretty much until it gets cold in December. What were you thinking of?

KINGMOKU

snatches said:
Thanks, the Japan total was what I was after. Guaranteed by the end of 2007 it will pass the GBA number. Unbelievable when you consider the popularity of the GBA in Japan just a few years ago. When is Pokemon D/P due out in Japan?
If NSMB, Brain Training,and Nintendogs are doing these insano sales, and pushing the Hardware, I tremble at the thought of what Pokemon will do.

I mean dear lord. Will we see a million week for the DS, alongside 2+million in game sales for the Pokemon game?

Tadaima

charlequin said:
Er, yep. That starts in September in the US and goes pretty much until it gets cold in December. What were you thinking of?

Oh, after looking into it, it seems the US calendar is different to my calendar. Carry on XD

cvxfreak

It is interesting to note that September 23 - December 21 is purely the astronomical classification, while the meteorological classification is simply September - November.

But Pokemon may very well be out in November then.

Fuzzy: It was spring in Japan, right? :D

Tadaima

cvxfreak said:
But Pokemon may very well be out in November then.

Actually, it seems Japan follows the meteorlogical calendar!

7 August: 立秋 (Risshū) - Beginning of autumn
7 November: 立冬 (Rittō) - Beginning of winter

So you're right ;D

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm calling it right here. Diamond/Pearl will sell at minimum a combined 1.6M units at launch.

Mrbob

jj984jj said:
Pokemon doesn't sell like that in Japan.

Neither does Mario until the DS version. It is amazing how the platform has reinvigorited life into many traditional games as well. We'll see if NSMB can sustain decent legs or if this is a case of front loaded sales.

lancubap

Kobun Heat said:
More like

mariogod4qq.jpg

am i rite?

:lol :lol

Stop guys, I'm dying laughing. :lol

Deku

Banned
Mrbob said:
Neither does Mario until the DS version. It is amazing how the platform has reinvigorited life into many traditional games as well. We'll see if NSMB can sustain decent legs or if this is a case of front loaded sales.

Well Mario games sell well in Japan, but everything on the GBA have been repackaged versions of existing games. Most of them sell ok, with the SMB re-release selling pretty steadily.

That said, comparing DS to the GBA is not longer accurate for Japan. It's sales and attach rate behaves a lot more like a major (console) platform. At its height, the GBA didn't sell this well with this kind of software attach rate.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jj984jj said:
huh? pokemon proper almost always sells through to insane numbers in japan. I am simply predicting they will be the most insane numbers yet ontop of the unprecedented momentum the DS has built up over the past year.

cvxfreak

jj984jj said:

Well, Gold and Silver sold through 1.425 Million in their first week.

ポケットモンスター 金 銀  1,425,768

lancubap

borghe said:
huh? pokemon proper almost always sells through to insane numbers in japan. I am simply predicting they will be the most insane numbers yet ontop of the unprecedented momentum the DS has built up over the past year.

Question: there is still something NOT INSANE in every Nintendo DS's (machine + games) sales ?

Tadaima

Pokémon releases always seem to spike portable hardware sales significantly... I wonder if there will be much of a difference this time around? If so, Nintendo's going to have such a hard time keeping up with demand. Heck, going by these sales, even if there wasn't a Pokémon over the holiday period they would be struggling.

They can probably shift 3-5 million hardware units over the holiday period if they play their cards right.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Mrbob said:
Didn't you get the memo? Mario is a non game now because it has good sales! :lol

cvxfreak

Blackcherry said:
No one have a list of the upcoming games for the DS in japan? (both 1st and 3rd parties games)

From Game-Science's Hatsubai:

DS Kanji no Wataridori 2006-06-01 3990 yen Success
DS Metroid Prime: Hunters Tournament 2006-06-01 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Koumareifuden Izuna 2006-06-08 5040 yen Success
DS Digimon Story 2006-06-15 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Kaitou Rousseau 2006-06-15 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Metal Saga: Dou no Kisetsu 2006-06-15 5040 yen Success
DS Magical Vacation: Itsutsu no Hoshi ga Narabu Toki 2006-06-22 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Finding Nemo 2006-06-29 5040 yen Sega
DS Touch de Manzai! Megami no Waratsubo DS 2006-06-29 3990 yen Ertain
DS Nintendo DS browser 2006-06~ 3800 yen Nintendo
DS Brave Story 2006-07-06 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Milon no Hoshizora Shabon 2006-07-06 ~ Hudson
DS Rockman ZX 2006-07-06 5040 yen Capcom
DS Project Hacker: Awakening 2006-07-13 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Bomberman Land DS 2006-07-20 5040 yen Hudson
DS Card Game 9 2006-07-20 5040 yen Taito
DS Mawasunda!! 2006-07-20 5040 yen Taito
DS Atsumare! Power Pro-kun no DS Koushien 2006-07-27 5229 yen Konami
DS Crash Bandicoot Festival 2006-07-27 5040 yen Vivendi
DS Jinsei Game DS 2006-07-27 5040 yen Atlus
DS Kirarin Revolution: Kira Kira Idol Audition 2006-07-27 5229 yen Konami
DS Kokoro wo Yasumeru: Otona no Nurie 2006-07-27 3990 yen Arteen
DS Mario Basketball 3 vs 3 2006-07-27 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Mushiking: Road to Greatest Champion 2 2006-07-27 5040 yen Sega
DS Starfox DS 2006-08-03 4800 yen Nintendo

List hasn't been updated to reflect Tamagotchi 2, Naruto RPG 3 or Final Fantasy III yet.

cvxfreak

Magicpaint said:
July is looking like an early holiday season for the DS. So many big titles.

FFIII is July right?

Yep. July will be a big month for DS third parties, and not Nintendo in concern to new titles.

GhostSeed

cvxfreak said:
From Game-Science's Hatsubai:

DS Kanji no Wataridori 2006-06-01 3990 yen Success
DS Metroid Prime: Hunters Tournament 2006-06-01 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Koumareifuden Izuna 2006-06-08 5040 yen Success
DS Digimon Story 2006-06-15 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Kaitou Rousseau 2006-06-15 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Metal Saga: Dou no Kisetsu 2006-06-15 5040 yen Success
DS Magical Vacation: Itsutsu no Hoshi ga Narabu Toki 2006-06-22 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Finding Nemo 2006-06-29 5040 yen Sega
DS Touch de Manzai! Megami no Waratsubo DS 2006-06-29 3990 yen Ertain
DS Nintendo DS browser 2006-06~ 3800 yen Nintendo

DS Brave Story 2006-07-06 5040 yen Bandai Namco
DS Milon no Hoshizora Shabon 2006-07-06 ~ Hudson
DS Rockman ZX 2006-07-06 5040 yen Capcom
DS Project Hacker: Awakening 2006-07-13 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Bomberman Land DS 2006-07-20 5040 yen Hudson
DS Card Game 9 2006-07-20 5040 yen Taito
DS Mawasunda!! 2006-07-20 5040 yen Taito
DS Atsumare! Power Pro-kun no DS Koushien 2006-07-27 5229 yen Konami
DS Crash Bandicoot Festival 2006-07-27 5040 yen Vivendi
DS Jinsei Game DS 2006-07-27 5040 yen Atlus
DS Kirarin Revolution: Kira Kira Idol Audition 2006-07-27 5229 yen Konami
DS Kokoro wo Yasumeru: Otona no Nurie 2006-07-27 3990 yen Arteen
DS Mario Basketball 3 vs 3 2006-07-27 4800 yen Nintendo
DS Mushiking: Road to Greatest Champion 2 2006-07-27 5040 yen Sega

DS Starfox DS 2006-08-03 4800 yen Nintendo

List hasn't been updated to reflect Tamagotchi 2, Naruto RPG 3 or Final Fantasy III yet.

So is FF3 officially this summer then?

edit: beaten and answered

Speaking of FFIII, I just can't make an idea in my head about how much this game will sell overall. Considering that's it's a "new" FF title and that the DS is hot in Japan, could we say around / more than 1 million? Bewteen 3 to 5 millions?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I bet that Pokemon D/P will sell more than 2m combined in their first week. Mark my words.

Edit: And I'm the first one who said Nintenod can sell more than 7m DS units this year in Japan alone.

Blackcherry said:
Speaking of FFIII, I just can't make an idea in my head about how much this game will sell overall. Considering that's it's a "new" FF title and that the DS is hot in Japan, could we say around / more than 1 million? Bewteen 3 to 5 millions?
1 million seems possible, but 3 million would be beating all console FFs except VII and VIII.

GhostSeed

Blackcherry said:

I would say easily a million and maybe 2.5 million max.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Clever Pun said:
and yet the way the DS is performing 3 million for FFIII wouldn't actually be that surprising....
What? :lol

FFIII will be lucky to hit 2 million. FFIII is remake regardless if it is in 3D.

jj984jj said:

FFIII will be lucky to hit 2 million. FFIII is remake regardless if it is in 3D.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting or predicting it to hit 3 million, just saying I wouldn't be all that surprised.

The combination of hype + the expanded market + FF's brand recognition could go a LONG way. this is all assuming, of course, that it's actually a good game

KINGMOKU

jj984jj said:

tsk tsk. You'd think by now that people making proclimations about DS game sales would have stopped after so many people were made to look bad.

But hey, all I'll do is remember this quote. :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
FFIII will be lucky to hit 1 million and will be called bomba by GAF and somehow the spirit of Monorojo will spin it to make it look like the PSP is winning Japan.

jj984jj said:

precision: it's an enhanced remake, that's why I've said "new". Apparently there's a story now and more stuff added in the game. and somehow, NSMB fall intro the "remake" category and look at it's sales numbers for the week
Archie said:
Cave Story bitches!!!

Mashing

Damn, 300k for DS Lite? (if that number holds up). Has that ever been accomplished outside of a holiday or launch week (including the few weeks after a system launch)?

CoolTrick said:
Do you understand what the N in 'NSMB' stands for?
and what do SMB mean? they made this game for the nostalgics more than anyone else. It will be the same for FFIII, less the New in the beginning of the title

KINGMOKU

Blackcherry said:
and what do SMB mean? they made this game for the nostalgics more than anyone else. It will be the same for FFIII, less the New in the beginning of the title
Wait, so the game is a remake?

Tadaima

Blackcherry said:
and what do SMB mean?

SMB, in my eyes, stands for innovation, creativity and individuality. Each game is so unique.

Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
SMB2
SMB3
SM World
SM World 2
SM64
SM Sunshine
SM Galaxy
New SMB

Each one of those games is so different that you can't possibly compare them. Each has it's own engine, own graphical style, own types of levels and gameplay. They may as well be games from different franchises.

Top Bottom