• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medai Create sales May 15-21

ioi

Banned
LanceStern said:
The Mario Karts have always kicked the Mario Platformer's butts. But then again, it's always been the Marios that they kicked the butts in Japan, then lost in US:

So it makes sense for the New Mario to have explosive sales in Japan (much greater than 600k for a fact) and in the US as well (1 million at least).

Then there's the fact also that Calssic 2D mario for GBA sold over 1.2 million copies in Japan, so that should bold well for the attach rate monster: THe DS

Hmmm Mario Kart DS is actually about the same in the US than Mario 64 (bundles), as is Mario Kart: SC compared to Mario Advance 1 and 3.

It's all a bit wishy-washy to be honest, on the whole the games have performed very comparably give or take a few hundred k.

I do expect NSMB to do quite a lot better than MK DS though. MK DS has done very well so far and will do better than the last two Mario Karts, but NSMB should be enormous just because the 2D Mario games have always been extremely popular.

It's also very interesting that iPOD has really made little impact in Japan (as yet?)- maybe that explains the relatively decent hardware sales for PSP compared to software and its use as a media player.

I think NSMB will have strong weekend sales ... but maybe not as monsterous as people think.

It'll sell over a longer period of time I think, which seems to be the case with most DS software.

Perhaps given the more casual nature of the DS userbase, I don't think people are as frantic to buy a new hit game the moment it comes out.

Culex

Banned
I'm predicting some insanely huge sales for this game (NSMB). I say 450k for the following week, but anything higher isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Culex said:
I'm predicting some insanely huge sales for this game (NSMB). I say 450k for the following week, but anything higher isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I would agree, however some people get too carried away sometimes and if NSMB "only" sells say 350-400k the first week some people will be chiming in with the "OMG! It's teh bomb! Japanese hate gaming!" type responses :lol

Yamauchi said:
I hope you realize my shut up comment was for fun.

How was I supposed to know? :mad:

Now my reply was for fun too. :D :lol

soundwave05 said:
Yeah, I would agree, however some people get too carried away sometimes and if NSMB "only" sells say 350-400k the first week some people will be chiming in with the "OMG! It's teh bomb! Japanese hate gaming!" type responses :lol

I remember when Children of Mana opened at 103K, this exactly happened. :/

ioi

Banned
soundwave05 said:

Well Culex said 450k NEXT week. So it would have to realistically be at least double that for this week.

It will start big and it will have legs. 2m this year will be easy.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
koam said:
DSL shortages continue

fixed

I guess NSMB will sell 2m+ by the end of the Christmas season, without too much trouble. Japan is basically sealed...Nintendo just need to get the DSL out in US + Europe and try to replicate the GB success. Right now the DS is kind of stuck in limbo, not selling much better than PSP, GBA still eating some sales, not a big buzz around it. Over the next few months with all the new software, hardware etc hopefully we'll see a shift

jarrod

Banned
Logan Cano said:
I don´t think your post is correct. While Nintendo may be trying to appeal to different markets, it´s painfully obvious which one they are having the greatest success in reeling in. I´m also not sure what Mario doing well proves, since looking at the charts for many, many weeks the one dominating and dictating what kind of software DS recieves has been Brain Training.
The significance of Mario 64, Wario Ware, Slime Morimori, DBZ, Puyo Fever, Mario Kart, Naruto or any number of other DS games outselling their previous platform iterations on GBA is that it directly contradicts your entirely unsupported notion that "non-games" are somehow eating into traditional game sales. The increased activity is actually boosting traditional game sales if anything.

I'd also take issue with your notion that the non-game boom negates any success Nintendo's had with courting other markets... sales show Nintendo gaining ground on all fronts really. Besides, Japan's market turn around actually started with Famicom Mini, not Brain Training.

Logan Cano said:
In any case, I hope the console market is reactivated by the PS3. I just have this fear we someday stop getting traditional games from japanese developers, since, you know, the market dictates what kind of games they want. I mean, if all the market suddenly is interested in is non games...
PS3 only magnifies the contidions that led to PS2 slowing the national market... it's painfully clear more of the same hasn't helped Japan so far and most likely won't in the future. Hope is all you've got it seems.

Shame we don't get 1st day sales anymore, those were the good old days. Mario is a tough one to predict, like many have said, Mario Kart seems to do better than the platformers in Japan but it's been 15 years since the last new 2d game, so who knows. I don't think we'll see AC numbers but I'd say it will outdo MK, only slightly though.

1st week - 390k
Total - 1.8m

ziran

sinobi has been updated, but i'm not sure what it says. it references a japanese blog, but it might be just speculation. can anyone translate?

babelfish guess work:
i think it's saying nsmb is going to the biggest 1st week seller for ds and there are reports of 1.2 and even 1.3 million pre-orders. there's also someone saying all stock will be sold out by the end of the weekend, but there is a new shipment coming on monday 29th.

either way, next gen is saying:
Reports out of Akihabara are that the game is selling obscenely well. Nintendo, now fully aware that their DS is a monster, was sure to actually manufacture enough of the game to meet any conceivable demand. I wouldn't be surprised to see it reaching a million copies sold more quickly than any other DS game to date.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
NSMB will sell out of its 800K first shipment. I fully expect to see a number above 750K next week.

cvxfreak

From what the translator is picking up on Sinobi:

- New Super Mario Bros. is a huge hit and its sales seem to have surpassed or will surpass 500K. This is faster than Brain Training 2 (which sold some 400K at launch).

- PSP's Itadaki Street Portable may sell between 70K and 120K.

- PSP's Brain Training 2 might not reach half the sales of the first due to a weak start. In comparison the DS's sequel surpassed the first.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
cvxfreak said:

- New Super Mario Bros. is a huge hit and its sales seem to have surpassed or will surpass 500K. This is faster than Brain Training 2 (which sold some 400K at launch).

It begins.

Err... It continues.

Emotions

cvxfreak said:

- PSP's Brain Training 2 might not reach half the sales of the first due to a weak start. In comparison the DS's sequel surpassed the first.

That about wraps it up for Nintendo. PSP am monopoly, DS owned . [/monorojo & co.]

It's truly insane the difference the position the DS is in Japan compared to the predictions on these forums of the PSP steamrolling the portable market. The DS really is the new fad in Japan.

New Mario is going to sell well just because there hasn't been one in that series since the beginning of the Super Famicom.

Barf_the_Mog said:
What I mean is, you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

If what is reported from Shinobi site is right, 500k in the first days means nSMB can easily reach 750k, don't forget Nintendo games get an overboost during saturdays and sundays

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
As I said a while back, NSMB will sell at least +7m this year around the world. It's LTD sales will be higher than SM 64 and can easily reach +3m in Japan (LTD not this year)

cvxfreak said:

Mario has always been a decent series; a solid platformer since the 80's I suppose, nothing more nothing less. Looks like I was wrong about its sales. At least it's a real game from what I've heard. I expect a 70% plummet in the game's sales the following week.

Very impressive. I'm sure SE is very pleased, and this will no doubt lead to their release of more RPGs on the system.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Archie said:
"Alas, I highly doubt impersonating Monorojo will get me laid"?
:lol

Or, "Alas, I highly doubt blasting Zelda music or impersonating Monorojo will get me laid."

Matt

ioi said:
It's also very interesting that iPOD has really made little impact in Japan (as yet?)- maybe that explains the relatively decent hardware sales for PSP compared to software and its use as a media player.
??? The iPod controls over 50% of the Japanese portable music market.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
borghe said:
NSMB will sell out of its 800K first shipment. I fully expect to see a number above 750K next week.

Barf_the_Mog said:
I bet you dress up on Super Bowl weekend expecting that you'll win the Publisher's Clearing House million dollar prize.

Edit:

What I mean is, you're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Jonnyram said:
Since so many threads are covering little bits and bobs of what was announced/shown/explained, I thought I'd wrap everything up in one thread, with a couple of added bits of info that didn't fit elsewhere.

Sales bits:

(likely Nintendo shipment numbers)
New Super Mario Bros. sold 900k in its first four days
so, does this mean Ed McMahon is going to visit my door next year? children.. yeesh :p

borghe said:
Loves the Greater Toronto Cock

torontoskylinephoto1xv.jpg

Top Bottom