• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medai Create sales May 15-21

Deku

Banned
donny2112 said:
DS last week: 95K
DS this week: 177K

Maybe Nintendo was just playing a game to see if they could double their sales in a week, with no major release, in May. :p

Edit:
YTD/LTD

DS: 2,498,720/8,145,672 (DS passes 8 million in a little under 18 months in Japan)
PSP: 772,136/3,455,098
GBA: 236,595/?

DS Lead: 1,726,584/4,690,574

DS '06 vs. DS '05: +1,633,909
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -98,059
GBA '06 vs. GBA '05: -92,636

It was a supply issue. I'm surprised people still think Nintendo is trying to manufacture a shortage. With this kind of demand, they don't need to.

Gourry

cvxfreak said:
Well, here is Amazon JP's top chart at the moment:
1. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Crystal White DS Lite
5. Tetris DS
6. More Brain Training
8. Brain Training
10. Metroid Prime Hunters (pre-order)
13. English Training DS
14. Animal Crossing Wild World
16. Nintendo USB WiFi Dongle
19. Ice Blue DS Lite
21. Enamel Navy DS Lite
And now it is...
1. New Super Mario Bros.
2. Crystal White DS Lite
5. Enamel Navy DS Lite
6. Ice Blue DS Lite

7. Tetris DS
8. More Brain Training
9. Brain Training
13. Metroid Prime Hunters (pre-order)
14. English Training DS
16. Animal Crossing Wild World
18. Nintendo USB WiFi Dongle

Check out the jump of the other two DS Lite colours...

cvxfreak

I'm not positive of the chances of NSMB selling more than say, MKDS.

Mario Kart installments have almost always been more popular than the main Mario games, ever since the N64 days. The glaring exception is the Famicom Mini SMB being more popular than MKA, but that doesn't really count IMO. MKDS sped past SM64DS, and MK64 is above SM64 in Japan IIRC.

RaijinFY

cvxfreak said:

Mario Kart installments have almost always been more popular than the main Mario games, ever since the N64 days. The glaring exception is the Famicom Mini SMB being more popular than MKA, but that doesn't really count IMO. MKDS sped past SM64DS, and MK64 is above SM64 in Japan IIRC.

Nostalgia + DS buzz? ;)

koam

Sorry to ask this because i'm sure it's been asked many times, but does anyone have the worldwide sale numbers (that's sales, not shipped) of the DS vs the PSP.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Yes, but 2D Mario games have always been much much bigger than just about anything in Japan.

Also Koam, you have to go higher or lower man!! (and no I'm not betting $600!!)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Mario Kart installments have almost always been more popular than the main Mario games, ever since the N64 days. The glaring exception is the Famicom Mini SMB being more popular than MKA, but that doesn't really count IMO.
It did take the second release of FM SMB to pass MKA, right?

CoolTrick

Banned
Do you have any retailer reports, Kobun? I am honestly feeling that we would have heard a bit more on the buzz and lines if NSMB was selling 500,000.

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
People expecting much over 350k for NSMB are setting themselves up for a tremendour disappointment.

http://www.kyoto.zaq.ne.jp/dkbkq103/yso/machi.htm

Check the last link.

I've posted this before, it's Japanese website where they make predictions and people are usually pretty damn close.

They are all saying 500-700k numbers.

They nailed FF XII, Pokemon Rangers, Tetris etc (as did I if I remember), in fact they are normally a bit on the low side for DS.

I seriously think 600k+ is very very possible.

koam

ioi said:
Yes, but 2D Mario games have always been much much bigger than just about anything in Japan.

Also Koam, you have to go higher or lower man!! (and no I'm not betting $600!!)

haha i'm kidding dude. I'm not betting a ps3 on crazy japanese sales :)

Personally, I don't think it will sell that much on the first week but it will hit a million FAST.

The SMB series never sold as much in japan as they have in NA so i'm really curious to see how it will do over there (and here as well)

CoolTrick said:
Do you have any retailer reports, Kobun? I am honestly feeling that we would have heard a bit more on the buzz and lines if NSMB was selling 500,000.
Nintendo is shipping like 1,200,000 of them. If it only sold 350K it would be one of the biggest bombs in the history of the industry. I sincerely doubt this will happen.

CoolTrick said:

Didn't retailers order around 1.3 million copies?

koam

Kobun Heat said:
Nintendo is shipping like 1,200,000 of them. If it only sold 350K it would be one of the biggest bombs in the history of the industry. I sincerely doubt this will happen.

Atari_ET.JPG

Burnst

Does Nintendo still have those adds in metros, like: "Sorry for the shortages, we expect them to be over by 2010." ?

cvxfreak said:

Heh. It's hard to compare how new Mario Kart games and new 2D Mario platformers do, though, since every single Mario Kart game has come between Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros.

PhoenixDark said:
It would sell 1 million on the PSP for the same readon MGS: Twin Snakes would have sold 1 million on the PS2. The Playstation is home to the vast majority of SE fans; looking at Mana's poor sales, it's clear they haven't left the Playstation brand.

If Children of Mana was a bomb in terms of sales then Valkyrie Profile Leenth on PSP was a disaster in terms of sales

Deku

Banned
CoM wasn't a bomb, its still in the top 20 this week and has broken 250k afiak.

As a game, it wasn't all I was hoping it to be.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
If Children of Mana was a bomb in terms of sales then Valkyrie Profile Leenth on PSP was a disaster in terms of sales

he was kidding

PD seriously needed to put [Monorojo] tags in...

Jokeropia

Amazing sales by the DS. Nintendo has been able to sell every unit shipped for almost six months now.
Logan Cano said:
I´m also not sure what Mario doing well proves
First of all I have to note that "non-games" is a really stupid name. Just because they're not conventional and/or doesn't interest you doesn't mean they're not real games.

Secondly, sales of MKDS et.al show that even sales of traditional games are UP from last generation (GBA), so claiming that Brain Training kills regular games makes no sense.

Beowvlf

Banned
cvxfreak said:
cs-05-23-06-1.gif

Just an interesting bit of info. iPod isn't it in Japan, it's the DS Lite.
Such interesting stats; they really show how different Japan is. The number of PC's sold in Japan is the craziest, it's so low! Hell, even the PSP has sold more than iPod's as well.

JavyOO7

I've said it many times and I'll say it again: NSMB will be the highest selling title not only in Japan this year, but in all three regions.

Great to see DS kicking ass this week again, too.

cvxfreak

Heian-kyo said:
Such interesting stats; they really show how different Japan is. The number of PC's sold in Japan is the craziest, it's so low! Hell, even the PSP has sold more than iPod's as well.

Well, in Japan, a laptop alone would do the trick for the average Japanese computer owner. In the west, a lot of people own both.

osyrus

PhoenixDark has entertained and taken care of my funny bone tonight. <3 :lol

Can't wait for next week's performance from the DS and Phoenix :D

Eddz said:
The rest:

31: Legend of Staafi 4 (DS)
32: Pro Baseball Spirits 3 (PS2)
33: Teadog's Room (DS)
34: Puzzle Series Vol. 3: Sudoku (DS)
35: Pro Baseball Heat Star 2006 (PS2)
36: DS Dictionary Series vol.4: American English (DS)
37: Juiced (PS2)
38: Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Case (Limited Edition) (PSP)
39: Mario & Luigi RPG2 (DS)
40: .hack//Vol.1×Vol.2 &#65288;PlayStation 2 the Best&#65289; (PS2)
41: Simple 2000 Series vol. 99: The Primitive Man (PS2)
42: Everybody's Map (PSP)
43: World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 (PSP The Best) (PSP)
44: nintendogs: Brushwood and Friends (DS)
45: Innocent Life: New Ranch Story (PSP)
46: Dragonball Z (DS)
47: Eureka Seven: New Vision (PS2)
48: DS Dictionary Series vol.3: Korean (DS)
49: Jikkyou Pachiko Slot (PS2)
50: Daito Giken Pachislot Simulator Portable (PSP)

Very impressive.

The DSL sales are not that impressive when you consider the majority of people who buy it already have a DS. So, the market is not growing in that sense.

New buyers are purchasing the regular DS, which is underpreforming.

PSP 24,457
DS 16,867

These most likely represent first time buyers, while the DSL numbers represent people's second DS. Therefore, it's quite clear that the tides are changing. PSP2 is scheduled for later this year, and I'm sure it will pick up the slack.

PSP has outsold the DS three weeks in a row now. Not bad.

PhoenixDark said:
Very impressive.

The DSL sales are not that impressive when you consider the majority of people who buy it already have a DS. So, the market is not growing in that sense.

New buyers are purchasing the regular DS, which is underpreforming.

PSP 24,457
DS 16,867

These most likely represent first time buyers, while the DSL numbers represent people's second DS. Therefore, it's quite clear that the tides are changing. PSP2 is scheduled for later this year, and I'm sure it will pick up the slack.

PSP has outsold the DS three weeks in a row now. Not bad.

Omg I hate you, you're worst than Mono you Tool

The Mario Karts have always kicked the Mario Platformer's butts. But then again, it's always been the Marios that they kicked the butts in Japan, then lost in US:

Mario Kart 64 > Super Mario 64 in Japan
Super Mario 64 >> Mario Kart 64 in US

Mario Kart DD > Super Mario Sunshine in Japan
Super Mario Sunshine > Mario Kart DD in US

Mario Kart GBA > Mario Advances in Japan
Mario Advances > Mario Kart GBA (except Yoshi's Island) in US

Mario Kart DS > Mario 64 DS in Japan
Mario 64 DS > Mario Kart DS in US

So it makes sense for the New Mario to have explosive sales in Japan (much greater than 600k for a fact) and in the US as well (1 million at least).

Then there's the fact also that Calssic 2D mario for GBA sold over 1.2 million copies in Japan, so that should bold well for the attach rate monster: THe DS

Top Bottom