• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medai Create sales May 15-21

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Kobun Heat said:
Man, 177,000 ds systems total for the week. It just gets crazier.
Nintendo will hit their 16 million projection with ease if the DS keeps the same level of sales all year in Japan and Brain Age is a hit in other regions.

donny2112

DS last week: 95K
DS this week: 177K

Maybe Nintendo was just playing a game to see if they could double their sales in a week, with no major release, in May. :p

Edit:
YTD/LTD

DS: 2,498,720/8,145,672 (DS passes 8 million in a little under 18 months in Japan)
PSP: 772,136/3,455,098
GBA: 236,595/?

DS Lead: 1,726,584/4,690,574

DS '06 vs. DS '05: +1,633,909
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -98,059
GBA '06 vs. GBA '05: -92,636

ioi

Banned
donny2112 said:
DS last week: 95K
DS this week: 177K

Maybe Nintendo was just playing a game to see if they could double their sales in a week, with no major release, in May. :p

:lol

Last week obviously saw some big shortages, back to business as normal. How long can 150k a week sales go on? I hope they get a lot of units in this week for NSMB launch, because they really can just sell whatever they can ship at the moment, it's insane!

Tadaima

The rest:

31: Legend of Staafi 4 (DS)
32: Pro Baseball Spirits 3 (PS2)
33: Teadog's Room (DS)
34: Puzzle Series Vol. 3: Sudoku (DS)
35: Pro Baseball Heat Star 2006 (PS2)
36: DS Dictionary Series vol.4: American English (DS)
37: Juiced (PS2)
38: Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Case (Limited Edition) (PSP)
39: Mario & Luigi RPG2 (DS)
40: .hack//Vol.1×Vol.2 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (PS2)
41: Simple 2000 Series vol. 99: The Primitive Man (PS2)
42: Everybody's Map (PSP)
43: World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 (PSP The Best) (PSP)
44: nintendogs: Brushwood and Friends (DS)
45: Innocent Life: New Ranch Story (PSP)
46: Dragonball Z (DS)
47: Eureka Seven: New Vision (PS2)
48: DS Dictionary Series vol.3: Korean (DS)
49: Jikkyou Pachiko Slot (PS2)
50: Daito Giken Pachislot Simulator Portable (PSP)

Netrunner2k2 said:
It is funny that PSP fanboys always want to to take away games when talking about the DS's success in Japan.

Funny, I didn´t brought up that point, Kobun Heat did. All I said in the beginning was that it was depressing to see the japanese market dominated by non games.

jarrod said:
So... how would you explain games like Super Mario 64 DS or Mario Kart DS outperforming their GBA predecessors?

I think you're missing that Nintendo's approach to Japanese market growth is multi-layered... they're not only attempting to court new "non-gamers" with things like the Touch Generations series or Bit Generations series and games like Animal Crossing or Nintendogs, they're aiming squarely at gaming nostalgics as well with things like the Famicom Mini series or the Virtual Console and games like Tetris DS or New Super Mario Bros. It's a two fold approach, bringing in new markets while simultaneously trying to reattract an older one which has been in perpetual decline thanks to nearly a decade of PlayStation fueled homogenization.

I don´t think your post is correct. While Nintendo may be trying to appeal to different markets, it´s painfully obvious which one they are having the greatest success in reeling in. I´m also not sure what Mario doing well proves, since looking at the charts for many, many weeks the one dominating and dictating what kind of software DS recieves has been Brain Training.

In any case, I hope the console market is reactivated by the PS3. I just have this fear we someday stop getting traditional games from japanese developers, since, you know, the market dictates what kind of games they want. I mean, if all the market suddenly is interested in is non games...

Eddz said:
The rest:

36: DS Dictionary Series vol.4: American English (DS)
40: .hack//Vol.1×Vol.2 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (PS2)
44: nintendogs: Brushwood and Friends (DS)
48: DS Dictionary Series vol.3: Korean (DS)

Hmm, looks like Mario and Luigi has finally started to drop. It used to cling in the Top 20. I wonder what it's total are... past 400k now?

mj1108

Logan Cano said:
Funny, I didn´t brought up that point, Kobun Heat did. All I said in the beginning was that it was depressing to see the japanese market dominated by non games.

Has it ever occurred to you that if people didn't want them, they wouldn't buy them?

Now please.... you're not doing a very good job at filling Heian or Mono's shoes. I'm sure with a couple more sales threads your damage control will begin to get funnier.

Tadaima

Magicpaint said:
Hmm, looks like Mario and Luigi has finally started to drop. It used to cling in the Top 20. I wonder what it's total are... past 400k now?

It has fell out of the top 50 already, but it re-entered. It bounces around between the latter 30 of the chart quite randomly.

According to E&N, it stands at 429,250 (14th place) in Japan. Not bad!

ioi

Banned
japhw2.gif

From week 52 to week 78 we have seen well over 4.5m units sold. In 6 months.

That kind of slope is unprecidented as you can all see.

The DS has seen a bigger boost in the last 8 weeks than PS2 / GBA ever had over a christmas period, and almost matched its own record breaking christmas.

DS is already halfway there to the GBA total and sold double the GC

cvxfreak

Just correcting a few of Eddz's small mistakes:

36: DS Travel Series vol.4: America (USA) (DS)
40: .hack//Vol.1×Vol.2 ?PlayStation 2 the Best? (PS2)
44: nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (DS)
48: DS Travel Series vol.3: South Korea (DS)

Surprised to see the DS's DBZ game back on the charts.

GBASP after 12 weeks: 0.72M
DSL after 12 weeks: 1.64M
Time for GBASP to reach 1.64M: ~31 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 12 weeks: 244K
"DS after DSL" after 12 weeks: 412K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 412K: ~28 weeks

DS after 12 weeks: 1.82M
PSP after 12 weeks: 0.92M

----------

Original model DS is now doing worse than it was last year. Year-to-date, year-over-year, it is down 0.18%. Considering its sales are consistently pretty low now, I expect it will stay that way.

Between DS and PSP, DS had 87.9% of the hardware sales. A new record, besting 87.1% the week of April 10, 2006. This also brings DS's share of lifetime DS/PSP sales up to 70.2%. It was last above 70% the week of January 24, 2005.

If DS stopped selling at all, and every week PSP sold as it did this week, it would catch up to DS January 22, 2010.

Magicpaint said:
:O

All time lows?
25 does appear to be a new low for GBA. However, Xbox was at 16 a few weeks back.

Since when is Animal Crossing considered a 'Non-Game'. Sure it has no object besides catching fish and bugs, and collecting fossils. Though if Animal Crossing is considered a Non-Game than The Sims and every other simulation game out there should also be considered one. Then there is Tetris. If people are saying Tetris is a Non-Game then every other puzzle game that has ever been based off of it is also. You see how this goes. These are both games that are selling on the brink of insane amounts. New Super Mario Bros, Tales of the Tempest, Pheonix Wright, and Final Fantasy 3 should prove you wrong in the next few months about the DS's market. It is multi-layered, there are both gamers and 'non-gamers'. Gamers seem willing to try non-games. So I don't see why some 'non-gamers' aren't going to try something other than Brain Training. I really doubt the DS games would have sold half as much without the new 'non-gamers' coming in.

Edit: Sorry for the small rant. Sort of aimed at Cano

Tadaima

Of note: It seems the Xbox has reached prcisely 1,500 sales for the year of 2006! Microsoft must surely be partying it up.

And thanks for cleaning up the list, CVXFreak :)

Eddz said:
It has fell out of the top 50 already, but it re-entered. It bounces around between the latter 30 of the chart quite randomly.

According to E&N, it stands at 429,250 (14th place) in Japan. Not bad!

Ah yeah, not bad at all. I think that's on par with the original right?

JoshuaJSlone said:
If DS stopped selling at all, and every week PSP sold as it did this week, it would catch up to DS January 22, 2010.

Really does put the DS' lead into perspective.

cvxfreak

Well, here is Amazon JP's top chart at the moment:

1. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Crystal White DS Lite
5. Tetris DS
6. More Brain Training
8. Brain Training
10. Metroid Prime Hunters (pre-order)
13. English Training DS
14. Animal Crossing Wild World
16. Nintendo USB WiFi Dongle
19. Ice Blue DS Lite
21. Enamel Navy DS Lite

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
cvxfreak said:

1. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Crystal White DS Lite
5. Tetris DS
6. More Brain Training
8. Brain Training
13. English Training DS
19. Ice Blue DS Lite
21. Enamel Navy DS Lite
Wow, Metroid might be riding the DS wave and have sales of 10,000!

ioi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Ah yeah, not bad at all. I think that's on par with the original right?

Still about 25k behind the total for the original but will comfortably surpass it.

cvxfreak said:

1. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Crystal White DS Lite
5. Tetris DS
6. More Brain Training
8. Brain Training
13. English Training DS
19. Ice Blue DS Lite
21. Enamel Navy DS Lite

Wait...Are you absolutely sure that this is not only the DS Top :lol ?! Wow, just wow.

cvxfreak

Archie said:

I think it'll be able to sell a few ten thousand. Nothing amazing for the DS but good enough. Still, a 2D Metroid is most appropriate for the DS in Japan.

Archie said:

:lol

Fuzzy said:
Damn those non-games taking sales away from M&L2.

Lol, indeed.

How many DS successors have outperformed their predecessors on GBA now? SM64 DS/ Mario Kart DS/ Wario Ware Touched/ Soon to be M&L 2...what else?

Here's the hardware redesign comparison I do weekly in graphical form. I make this chart go to twice as long as DSL has been out.
20060525hardwareredesigns.png

Logan Cano said:
Oh, and who´s monorojo??
I'll let this quote speak for itself:
Monorojo said:
Thats why everyone should be thankful Sony is the home console market leader and no one else. Let's pray that NEVER changes, or it may just be the end of gaming as we know it.

Eddz said:
Of note: It seems the Xbox has reached prcisely 1,500 sales for the year of 2006! Microsoft must surely be partying it up.
Hmm, I have 1502. Not a number we often bring up in these threads, but what does anyone else have?

Magicpaint said:
Really does put the DS' lead into perspective.
This is the first week that particular column has given 2010. Combination of the massive lead DS has built up in the last few months, and PSP having a slightly lower than usual week. Of course it exaggerates things a bit, considering different times of year have different sales concentrations. For instance, when in December PSP hit 161,332 for the week, the theoretical catchup date was April 20, 2006.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Damn those non-games taking sales away from M&L2.

This is the whole point, I realised when I posted the list of opening weeks for Nintendo games in Japan on the previous page, Mother 3 as disappointing as it was first week actually sold more than any other GBA game bar Pokemon in its first week.

We forget just how dismal sales have been on the GBA and GC for the last 5 years.

Smash Bros Melee was the biggest GC game by far on about 1.4m. That seems pathetic compared to these numbers.

I remember thinking how amazingly well the original Wario Ware had done and how big its legs were, same with Famicom Mini: SMB the original release, both of which did 700k. Those were big numbers for a GBA game. Compared to Brain Training on 2.5m it is pathetic.

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, blue version on DS is lost amid all the million sellers. Red version on GBA sold slightly less, but is actually rubbing shoulders with the best selling GBA games ever in Japan, big titles that seemed to do really well at the time like Kirby, Mario Advance, Wario Ware etc.

Lets take out the three GBA Pokemon games and this is what you are left with:

Famicom Mini 01 Super Mario Bros GBA Nintendo 1,278,500
Mario Kart: Super Circuit GBA Nintendo 924,250
Super Mario Advance 2 GBA Nintendo 918,750
Kirby Star: Fountain of Dream GBA Nintendo 914,750
Super Mario Advance GBA Nintendo 877,000
Super Mario Advance 4 GBA Nintendo 786,500
Kirby Star: Great Labyrinth of The Mirror GBA Nintendo 763,000
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Red GBA Nintendo 731,000
Wario Ware GBA Nintendo 697,750
Wario Ware Twisted GBA Nintendo 501,500
Mario + Luigi: Superstar Saga GBA Nintendo 466,000
Famicom Mini 21 Super Mario Bros 2 GBA Nintendo 412,500
Mother 1 + 2 GBA Nintendo 400,750
Fire Emblem VI: Sealed Sword GBA Nintendo 393,000
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity GBA Nintendo 371,000
The Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past / Four Sword GBA Nintendo 332,000
Mother 3 GBA Nintendo 319,500

Traditional games are actually selling as well, if not much better on DS than GBA. That, combined with the phenomenal new successes of the training games and so on is why DS is unstoppable at the moment.

In fact, go down that list. New SMB will sell more than FM:SMB, Mario Kart DS will do maybe 1.8-1.9m, Mario 64 DS is just about on a million, and will probably do 1.1m in the end, Pokemon MD did better on DS, Wario Ware will do about 1.2m on DS, Mario and Luigi should clear 500k on DS, Zelda should do well over 500k.

The DS has already surpassed GBA even if we look at just 'traditional games' (not including Pokemon yet). The biggest difference I guess is with third parties, the DS still needs some Rockman EXEs, Dragon Quest Monsters etc, but the third party GBA list is still quite depressing:

Rockman EXE 4 GBA Capcom 958,500
Mushi King GBA Sega 703,000
Rockman EXE 3 GBA Capcom 672,750
Dragon Quest Monsters 3 Enix 661,250
Rockman EXE 6 GBA Capcom 630,000
Rockman EXE 5 GBA Capcom 615,750
Rockman EXE 2 GBA Capcom 465,500
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance GBA Square 427,250
Yugioh Duel Monsters 5 Expert 1 GBA Konami 397,750
Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest GBA Enix 359,750
Super Robot Wars A GBA Banpresto 348,250
Seiken Densetsu: Sword of Mana GBA Square 299,500

But then DS has a million seller in Tamogotchi, Rockman EXE 7 will presumably be coming, FF III, Children of Mana should pass 300k, Slime Mori Mori 2 is on 310k, so again not a million miles away. I'll be interested to see how Mushi King 2 does on DS.

JoshuaJSlone said:
This is the first week that particular column has given 2010. Combination of the massive lead DS has built up in the last few months, and PSP having a slightly lower than usual week. Of course it exaggerates things a bit, considering different times of year have different sales concentrations. For instance, when in December PSP hit 161,332 for the week, the theoretical catchup date was April 20, 2006.

True, it does exaggerate things, but you're also basing it on the assumption that the DS will stop selling so it's still one of the most enteraining stats in this thread.

Top Bottom