• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Raw64life said:
I checked the NeoGAF front page to make sure neither of them were were logged on before I posted the thread. They were not. That's why I took the liberty. The numbers weren't going to be any different if one of them posted it.

No worries. Thanks for the post.

angelfly

Ignore my shitty translation skills

11. More Brain Training
12. Vision Training
13. Mario kart
14. Wii Sports
15. Wii Play
16. New Super Mario Bros.
17. Blade Storm
18. Sakura Taisen Pachinko (?)
19. GTA Liberty City Stories
20. Gyakuten Saiban 3
21. Brain Training
22. Animal Crossing Wild World
23. J. League
24. Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
25. 学研DS 新TOEIC(R)テスト完全攻略 (Research DS?)
26. More English Training (?)
27. Mina no Golf 5
28. Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
29. 財団法人日本漢字能力検定協会公式ソフト200万人の漢検 ~とことん漢字脳~ (no idea)
30. One Piece Gear Spirit

edit: oops he already started them.

Raw64life

^ Haha. I didn't immediately start translating them because I figured someone else would but it seems like the inevitable happened. Thanks anyway.

In any event, 11-30 is up now.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Thanks a lot Raw64life. If you see em next week before anyone posts them, go ahead. I appreciate the work cheese puts into his threads, but that shouldn't make it law that only he can post them.

I'm pretty sure people complaining are just messing with you though.

Thanks. Although Defensor seemed pretty serious. Also annoying.

Roat

Banned
A nice mix between Sony and Nintendo's platforms for once, pretty refreshing.

Thanks guys for shitting up the first page whining about the thread creator too, heaven forbid we get this information as soon as possible.

schuelma said:
Well, if Wii Sports is around 10-11K..it could be closer to 20K. Also, the last 2-3 weeks MC has been 10K lower than Famitsu.

Edit: Ok just saw 11-30, and I agree Wii sales will be around 23k~. I think a few bells are starting to ring over there now. Pre-holiday lull doesn't really explain a 40k dip in 3 weeks.

CTLance

Raw64life said:
In any event, 11-30 is up now.
Thanks. Although Defensor seemed pretty serious. Also annoying.
1) Yay
2) Don't worry, every community has some special members. ;)

Back on topic: Hot shots Golf 5 is hanging in there... Amazing legs, considering the installed user base.

1. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 487,000 / NEW
8. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 24,000 / 316,000

FF does better on the PSP. Why isn't Square Enix recognizing this?

sphinx

the piano man
angelfly said:
24. Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

TSA claims this game won't reach 1 million.

He obviously forgets that DS games are genetically enhanced with nanomachines called "Stealth Legs". They grant DS games the power to keep selling even after they left the charts.

I am sure it will reach a million, my guess is that it needs 2 or 3 holiday seasons, so 2010 might be the year.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PhoenixDark said:

I'm sure Tabris agrees with you. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PhoenixDark said:

That tends to happen when your game is the prequel to the highest selling Final Fantasy of all time as opposed to a dungeon crawling spinoff that is 8 hours long.

BishopLamont said:
Edit: Ok just saw 11-30, and I agree Wii sales will be around 23k~. I think a few bells are starting to ring over there now. Pre-holiday lull doesn't really explain a 40k dip in 3 weeks.

although, we can't forget that WiiFit has massive preorder, and that the Mario brand is stronger than ever as a system seller (and that Brawl will bring many hardercore gamers back, and inthe process, they'll need to purchase a Wii)

that being said, all of thos games are at least 4 painful weeks away from release for Nintendo.

ethelred said:
Well, in this, at least, he's right. Final Fantasy does do better on Sony machines.
"Sony machines" brings in PS1 and PS2 which obviously makes things a bit different. However, DS vs PSP is goofily DS-lopsided thus far.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:
Well, in this, at least, he's right. Final Fantasy does do better on Sony machines.

final fantasy was, for like 10 years and until 2005, ONLY on sony machines.

How can other machines prove if they are viable platforms for final fantasy games?

Hcoregamer00 said:
That tends to happen when your game is the prequel to the highest selling Final Fantasy of all time as opposed to a dungeon crawling spinoff that is 8 hours long.

Keep on spinnin'

I'm with PD on this one.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Not on the DS vs. PSP, and really there was nothing you could compare before since FF games were never on both Sony and Nintendo systems in the same time period of the franchise. Are saying CC:FFVII and FF:CC-RoF is a valid comparison? Because they definitely aren't, CC:FFVII was a much bigger project.

Hcoregamer00

Forgotten Ancient said:
Keep on spinnin'

I'm with PD on this one.

Yes, because saying a prequel to the highest selling Final Fantasy game that sells more than a dungeon crawling spinoff is Spin.

:lol

fernoca

Forgotten Ancient said:
Keep on spinnin'

I'm with PD on this one.
Spinning?
Is the truth..
See how FFIII on DS is at over a million copies, just because of the whole "first time the game is ever ported, get it now"..thing.. :p ..

Contrary to a sequel, on a DS to a GameCube game that focused more on multiplayer.

But who knows..
Key word always is: legs.
Which game will show them?? :p

linsivvi

mutsu said:
So maybe they finally finished with the recall and shipped more copies.

I knew this game will sell like hotcakes.

It is the fixed version. The game probably would've sold much better without the bug and the recall.

sphinx said:

How can other machines prove if they are viable platforms for final fantasy games?

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Dawn of Souls, Tactics Advance, and FFI-II NGPC would like to have a word with you.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
"Sony machines" brings in PS1 and PS2 which obviously makes things a bit different. However, DS vs PSP is goofily DS-lopsided thus far.

Goofily lopsided in the PSP's favor, maybe. As it stands, the one spinoff released for the PSP (Crisis Core) has outsold, or shortly will outsell, all of the spinoffs released for the DS (Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book, Ring of Fates, Revenant Wings, Tactics A2).

Hell, even Dirge of Cerberus has outsold every single Nintendo-system FF spinoff. Dirge of Cerberus has outsold Revenant Wings, Crystal Chronicles, you name it.

FFIII sold more, but that's a remake of a main series title, not a spinoff. The PSP hasn't gotten its remake title yet.

sphinx said:

And for ten years before that it was only on Nintendo machines. So what?

Hcoregamer00

Forgotten Ancient said:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Dawn of Souls, Tactics Advance, and FFI-II NGPC would like to have a word with you.

And god knows that these games had the massive budgets of FFX, FFXII, and Crisis Core.

There are DS FF games that have sold better than PSP FF games. There are PSP FF games that have sold better than DS FF games. However, DS's highest FF is above PSP's highest FF, and DS's lowest FF is above PSP's lowest FFs.

There's always going to be debate about which ones should be considered the bigger projects and thus how they did compared to expectations. It makes sense that Crisis Core is bigger than Crystal Chronicles, and it makes sense than III DS is bigger than PSP's I and II. That doesn't change the facts of the first paragraph, though.
ethelred said:
FFIII sold more, but that's a remake of a main series title, not a spinoff. The PSP hasn't gotten its remake title yet.
But it has. One can argue they were crap, but they exist.

Izzy

Banned
ethelred said:
Goofily lopsided in the PSP's favor, maybe. As it stands, the one spinoff released for the PSP (Crisis Core) has outsold, or shortly will outsell, all of the spinoffs released for the DS (Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book, Ring of Fates, Revenant Wings, Tactics A2).

But it will. But it will.

Grecco

Kyoufu said:
Those are ports, not remakes.

Hence why its not fair to compare I and II to anything on the DS.

They arent ports. Maybe not full fleged 3D remakes either but not ports.

And im sorry but its soo silly to say that FF does better on the PSP simply because a Prequel to the most popular FF of all time sold well.

jj984jj

ethelred said:

Hell, even Dirge of Cerberus has outsold every single Nintendo-system FF spinoff. Dirge of Cerberus has outsold Revenant Wings, Crystal Chronicles, you name it.

Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core were much bigger undertakings than any of their DS spin-offs, because they were part of FFVII they were bigger projects. DQIX is the only DS project that exceeds them in project size. Surely you can see that.

Hcoregamer00

Forgotten Ancient said:
Only games with big budgets matter anymore?

*melts copies of Phoenix Wright and pretends then never existed*

No they don't, there you go putting words in my mouth again. It's like Deja Vu again.

jj984jj said:
Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core were much bigger undertakings than any of their DS spin-offs, because they were part of FFVII they were bigger projects. DQIX is the only DS project that exceeds them in project size. Surely you can see that.

Don't worry, they are already spinning the success of DQ9 even before the game is out.

"Japan will buy dragon quest because it has always sold well no matter what console it is on."

Apparently when the DS gets a large budget game we can't use it as an example anymore.

ethelred

Hcoregamer00 said:
And god knows that these games had the massive budgets of FFX, FFXII, and Crisis Core.

Crystal Chronicles is a small budget game now? That game was gorgeous, and pushed the GameCube phenomenally. You think Crisis Core's development costs were bigger? You think the human resource costs were bigger? Crisis Core was made by Square Enix's cell phone team -- Crystal Chronicles was made by Kazuhiko Aoki, one of the founding staffers of Square who worked on the original Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger.

And I still find it pretty telling that Dirge of Cerberus has outsold every single Final Fantasy spinoff on Nintendo systems.

sphinx

the piano man
ethelred said:

you'll have to bring some numbers to back this up.

The Media create crowd is looking at you with "WTF" eyes.

Kyoufu said:
Those are ports, not remakes.

Hence why its not fair to compare I and II to anything on the DS.

I must say, they did a very faithful job porting.
5xetopg.jpg

4vg1t7m.png

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Aren't people in Japan worried that if they don't pick up a Wii now, it'll be impossible to find one later during the holiday rush? (what are They THINKING!??)

Hes just saying spinnoffs never do as well as the main. FFVII is part of the main series. Crystal Chronicles and Tactics and Ring of Fates and Revanant wings are not part of the main numerical series that do so well. Especially since the original FFVII was the best FF selling game of all time FFVII remake was bound to do spectacular. YOu could say that "Well why didn't FFIII on the DS do well? It's part of the main." Well again, the original had no where near the sales of FF7,8, or 9. Now look at the PSP re-makes of FFI and FFII. I believe FFIII for DS outsold those two. So in all fairness, if the FFVII remake came on DS, it would probably have even sold more than it has on PSP

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PhoenixDark said:

I agree with this too. The series skyrocketed when it shifted too, FF will do well on Nintendo systems but it goes along with the "Playstation" philosophy more than it does with Nintendo's. I think FF's need to remain on PS systems much like Zelda was on the N64 for instance, it isn't really a make or break deal, just a slightly faded advantage.

Hcoregamer00

Gahiggidy said:
Aren't people in Japan worried that if they don't pick up a Wii now, it'll be impossible to find one later during the holiday rush? (what are They THINKING!??)

The joke poster arrives in the midst of battle

Hcoregamer00 said:
No they don't, there you go putting words in my mouth again. It's like Deja Vu again.

I was merely pointing out games that weren't on Sony systems over the past 10 years, and you replied by laughing at their budget. The inference being that games w/o a budget simply don't matter.

Besides, I didn't bring up their budgets in the first place. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Spinnin' all day

laserbeam

Banned
Azelover said:
I agree with this too. The series skyrocketed when it shifted too, FF will do well on Nintendo systems but it goes along with the "Playstation" philosophy more than it does with Nintendo's. I think FF's need to remain on PS systems much like Zelda was on the N64 for instance, it isn't really a make or break deal, just a slightly faded advantage.

Has more to do with the fact the Japanese have a negative look at anything with Crystal Chronicles attached to it. Crisis Core:FFVII would have probably moved a million + on the DS.

Its just well documented the Japanese don't trust the Crystal Chronicles label and that hurt sales

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ethelred said:

That's because, like Crisis Core, it's based on Final Fantasy 7 which made it instantly more popular than any of the other spinoffs/sequels on the DS. Revenant Wings, in comparison, is a sequel to a game that was not as popular in Japan (further reflected in the sales of that International Zodiac whatchimicallit release on PS2 of the game, which you yourself have taken great pleasure in mocking in the past.)

Anyway enough downplaying, this is a good showing for the game and I'm sure is a great addition to the PSP. Well done!

Hcoregamer00

Forgotten Ancient said:
I was merely pointing out games that weren't on Sony systems over the past 10 years, and you replied by laughing at their budget. The inference being that games w/o a budget simply don't matter.

Besides, I didn't bring up their budgets in the first place. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Spinnin' all day

No, the inference was that the games that sold higher are the ones with more effort spent developing it, had a larger budget, and more marketing. Thus they sold better.

I never EVER said budgets with games don't matter.

So I slapped this together using the data from the first post, Japan-GameCharts, and doing a bit of rounding. I included the Chocobo game since it got FF-branded outside of Japan and would be asked about if left out, but didn't include the FF/DQ Itadaki Street for PSP. Obviously the FF:CC pair are still growing.
20070920ffdspsp.png

Top Bottom