• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 has already sold 2 million copies in Japan (4 days)

Road

I thought initial shipments were going to be low? 2 million in 2 weeks or something? I guess that was bogus.

Bullet points so it's easy to understand:

1. The 2 million shipment for September referred to physical copies to Japan. It was the information retailers had.

2. The 2 million Capcom is talking about may include downloads. (Someone needs to clarify this with Capcom.)

94J88hH.jpg

Securing Monster Hunter 4 as a 3DS exclusive is one of the smartest moves Iwata could have possibly made for the Japanese market at this juncture.

Say what you want about the Wii U...this is Iwata's time to shine.

GREAT job Mr. Iwata, and congratulations to all of the hardworking people at Capcom's internal development studios. Capcom has needed some good news lately. :)

Blue-kun

I'm fine with people calling a fanboy or whatever, but I do think it's pretty sad that MH4 is on the 3DS and not on the Vita. Just the sort of game that would work better on the latter, be it because of the dual analogs or simply because of the system being more powerful in general and thus allowing for a prettier game.

Anyhow, might be getting it all the same should it come out here, because thankfully Capcom isn't willing to screw me over with adhoc multiplayer only. Yes, I'm looking at you, God Eater 2...

qq more

This is bad news... For Nintendo.

How so?

I'm fine with people calling a fanboy or whatever, but I do think it's pretty sad that MH4 is on the 3DS and not on the Vita. Just the sort of game that would work better on the latter, be it because of the dual analogs or simply because of the system being more powerful in general and thus allowing for a prettier game.

Anyhow, might be getting it all the same should it come out here, because thankfully Capcom isn't willing to screw me over with adhoc multiplayer only. Yes, I'm looking at you, God Eater 2...
Circle Pad Pro?

dezzy8

got damn.

Capcom gonna make 3DS MH4 DLC up da ying yang 'cause dey need dat paper.

Sony am cry indeed.

These am cry posts do not get old. I can't help but laugh every time I read one.

But Sony has to be in the offices scratching their heads as to why they let this franchise slip through their fingertips.

Metallix87

Securing Monster Hunter 4 as a 3DS exclusive is one of the smartest moves Iwata could have possibly made for the Japanese market at this juncture.

Say what you want about the Wii U...this is Iwata's time to shine.

GREAT job Mr. Iwata, and congratulations to all of the hardworking people at Capcom's internal development studios. Capcom has needed some good news lately. :)

Agreed.

that can be said for literally just about any handheld game on any handheld before the vita

you get the dual analog option on 3ds so that invalidates the first part of your argument

DaBoss

Bullet points so it's easy to understand:

1. The 2 million shipment for September referred to physical copies to Japan. It was the information retailers had.

2. The 2 million Capcom is talking about may include downloads. (Someone needs to clarify this with Capcom.)

Yea, I can see it being possible that is the case.

Blue-kun

Circle Pad Pro?

It "fixes" one of the issues, yes, but there's still quite a lot of other things that simply would be better on the Vita. Basically, it's the one kind of game that I really feel is held back by the 3DS lackluster hardware. But, well, it's not like the Vita is poorly served when it comes to hunting games, so I guess one can get their fix whenever they feel like it.

that can be said for literally just about any handheld game on any handheld before the vita

Lol, I guess if you want to go down that route, But stuff like Bravely Default, for instance, I'm perfectly fine with it being on the 3DS (and bought the system for it).

Capcom just sold more copies of the game then there are Vita's. There's nothing really sad about it, it was just the smarter business move

Seriously. Pokemon is releasing worldwide day and date everywhere and is coupled with the 2DS. You heard it hear first folks. Five million copies on day one. Too popular and largest amounts of changes and additions to the franchise since its inception. Might even get two copies myself.

Sandfox

Seriously. Pokemon is releasing worldwide day and date everywhere and is coupled with the 2DS. You heard it hear first folks. Five million copies on day one. Too popular and largest amounts of changes and additions to the franchise since its inception. Might even get two copies myself.

It should do more than that. But it depends on the certain territories.

Busaiku

Pokemon has never had really monster debuts outside of Japan.

FTF

5m?? Is that really possible, are they even shipping that many?

Edit: ah, ww...that's still a crazy #.

Blue-kun

Capcom just sold more copies of the game then there are Vita's. There's nothing really sad about it, it was just the smarter business move

Yeah, and it's why I'm lamenting over the fact this is a 3DS exclusive. Business-wise, it's a no brainer, but as a gamer, I'd rather play it on the Vita if it were possible. Alas, it is not, and Sony screwed up, so it is what it is, lol.

Yeah, and it's why I'm lamenting over the fact this is a 3DS exclusive. Business-wise, it's a no brainer, but as a gamer, I'd rather play it on the Vita if it were possible. Alas, it is not, and Sony screwed up, so it is what it is, lol.

surely as a gamer you'd rather play this on the system that sells better, meaning more potential sales for the game meaning more people to play with?

qq more

It "fixes" one of the issues, yes, but there's still quite a lot of other things that simply would be better on the Vita. Basically, it's the one kind of game that I really feel is held back by the 3DS lackluster hardware. But, well, it's not like the Vita is poorly served when it comes to hunting games, so I guess one can get their fix whenever they feel like it.

I don't see how it's being held back. MonHun worked pretty fine on PSP.

Gamerloid

He probably thinks it's for the Vita. It doesn't say anything about the 3DS in the OP. Just like some people still don't know Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive.
Nice catch there if that's the case. Good deductive abilities regardless cause I couldn't make sense of it.

Oh yeah! Now they have the money to release 4G on vita!

:(

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It wouldn't be that great with the 3DS assets anyway. Only if it was built on the ground up for Vita would I be interested in it.

Blue-kun

surely as a gamer you'd rather play this on the system that sells better, meaning more potential sales for the game meaning more people to play with?

That's... I'm not going to play with 2 million people, basically. This is all what if and basically a really dumb conversation, but it's clear that if MH had been on the Vita, the Vita wouldn't be sitting at 1.8 million units in Japan, and MH wouldn't sell 100k first week. Basically, what I mean is that there'd still be an incredibly huge number of people to play it with, it's not really a concern of mine, lol.

That and well, the fact my friends would be on it regardless of platforms, be it 3DS or Vita.

Playing MH on the Vita and then going back to the PSP is a pretty big pain the butt, though. And well, the PSP is a 2004 system, definitely not what I had in mind when I was anticipating the "next iteration of Monster Hunter". The fact the game is graphically not much better than what you got on the PSP speaks a lot about it and does kinda bug me.

Anyway, I'm bailing out. It's just a nitpick of mine, as pointed out on the first post, and definitely not something I feel too strongly about to keep on arguing with people. Would've loved it on the Vita, didn't happen, will look into playing it on the 3DS all the same. As I said before, at the very least Capcom was smart enough not to cripple the online with the adhoc-only moves like devs seem to love doing for Vita now. God Eater 2, PS Nova... geez. I'm actually looking into buying Toukiden over GE2 simply because of this.

While it is launching with 2DS, I think X/Y will suffer outside of Japan due to fewer kids owning the system by this point.
But I did forget that it was over 1 million, I thought the 1st month was like 800k.

$129 handheld should be enticing to kids and parents. I think the boost will give Pokemon X/Y some good sales.

while i'm not a technical expert but apart from making it prettier the main hardware improvement that would improve the actual gameplay would be more ram, something the 3ds has a lot more of than psp

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So Capcom makes a solid entry in an established series, internally developed, without attempting to cater to the West and it becomes the one runaway success for them in the past few years. Who knew.

Damn, that's big. I remember someone saying it could sell more in its first day then all of the Vitas in Japan, I wonder how close that was...

Can't wait to see Pokemon's numbers

RM8

Wait. I'm just learning because of this thread, that some people didn't think this would happen.

For real? Why?

Top Bottom