• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 has already sold 2 million copies in Japan (4 days)

gogogow

surely as a gamer you'd rather play this on the system that sells better, meaning more potential sales for the game meaning more people to play with?

Well, to be fair, if MHP3rd G and MH4 were announced for the Vita in 2011, things would've played out way different than it is today.

But as it is, I don't care, I just want to play the game, but will probably have to wait for the 4G version, before we get it in the West. Hopefully for the Wii U too.

Gadirok

surely as a gamer you'd rather play this on the system that sells better, meaning more potential sales for the game meaning more people to play with?

If he lives anywhere outside of japan i doubt that really makes a difference.

Besides we have nothing to compare with here. If monster hunter 4 were on vita I doubt its sales would have been as terrible as it has been. But if monster hunter 4 was on vita, monster hunter 3u would also likely be on vita. Maybe its sales wouldnt have been so abysmal then, but alas, this is now a nintendo exclusive so we cant really compare.

Really, a direct comparison would probably make more sense in an alternate dimension where e game was multiplat or exclusive to vita. Then we could have actually compared how well the system sales would have been.

I doubt everyone who bought a 3ds and got animal crossing new leaf is going out there to buy a copy of monster hunter.

Same reason i will probably skip over everything else that doesnt interest me for the 3ds until mh4 gets localized.

Edit:Should have just quotes this:

Well, to be fair, if MHP3rd G and MH4 were announced for the Vita in 2011, things would've played out way different than it is today.

But as it is, I don't care, I just want to play the game, but will probably have to wait for the 4G version, before we get it in the West. Hopefully for the Wii U too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
So Capcom makes a solid entry in an established series, internally developed, without attempting to cater to the West and it becomes the one runaway success for them in the past few years. Who knew.

Gee, only if Capcom can use that as a benchmark to make more games using this award-winning, high-selling formula.

Nah.....

Sandfox

While it is launching with 2DS, I think X/Y will suffer outside of Japan due to fewer kids owning the system by this point.
But I did forget that it was over 1 million, I thought the 1st month was like 800k.

There is a big difference between 1 million day one and 800k for the month lol. I'm curious as to how a Pokemon game released on a Saturday in October will sell though tbqh.

even if that had been the case i'm certain we wouldn't have seen anywhere near as high as todays number

Mr. Fix

in6BrfeSpEETO.gif

Didn't they only ship 2m physical copies for September? The list probably includes digital. 2nd week will probably be much lower. How much did Portable 3rd open at?

Didn't Dragon Quest IX end up being the best-selling DQ despite the troll reviews? Shows how much weight you should place on that type of user feedback!

Yeah, I think a lot of people forget Japan has a solid share in the troll/attention seeking responses.

I'm sure there is some generic nico video of a guy taking a new copy of the game and cutting it up with scissors and what not for views.

$129 handheld should be enticing to kids and parents. I think the boost will give Pokemon X/Y some good sales.

$129.99 was certainly the magic price point for the DS Lite when it was released.

It's very close to (or already at) that "impulse buy" level, where the psychological perception of a system's cost has reached an incredibly attractive threshold.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So Capcom makes a solid entry in an established series, internally developed, without attempting to cater to the West and it becomes the one runaway success for them in the past few years. Who knew.

You will always forever be bitter about DmC huh, hahaha.

Anyways, good news. I guess this confirms MH4 going westward.

fates

I can't imagine Pokemon doing this good at launch

It will. I have a feeling XY will be huge.

As for MH4, that's awesome to hear. I really hope they release it over here.

Also pay no mind to Amazon.jp reviews, those are posted over some issue people get butthurt over and decide to spam low ratings.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
$129.99 was certainly the magic pricepoint for the DS Lite when it was released.

It's very close to (or already at) that "impulse buy" level, where the psychological perception of a system's cost has reached an incredibly attractive threshold.

Yeah, people tend to forget that the DS Lite was $129.99.

The 3DS's current price point of $170 is also partly responsible for Nintendo's current situation in the west (as well as the rise of Smartphones and Tablets).

That reminds me, MHP3rd did a little over/under ( depending on tracker) 2 mil in 5 days. MH4's sales are probably a lot closer to it than I thought it would be.

Where did 4 days come from? o_O It came out on the 15th on Saturday, three days at most!

Anyway, we don't know if all 2 million will show on MC and Famitsu this week, for one thing it depends on when they stopped tracking for the week (end of Sunday?), and if that also includes eShop downloads (Famitsu does track retail bought download cards IIRC).

Where did 4 days come from? o_O It came out on the 15th on Saturday, three days at most!

Anyway, we don't know if all 2 million will show on MC and Famitsu this week, for one thing it depends on when they stopped tracking for the week (end of Sunday?), and if that also includes eShop downloads (Famitsu does track retail bought download cards IIRC).

Saturday is 14th, not 15th

well the shops will have all got their stock by Friday so maybe they counted from there?

yes you are right, sales are tracked til the end of sunday and famitsu do include cards

Top Bottom