• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most "epic" final boss in Final Fantasy?

All this thread has done is make me want to play FFXIV lol.

________

Seymour prior to final dunegon - FFX (dat music...it felt so final & dramatic)

Jecht - FFX

Barthandelus (Chapter 9 FFXIII) - Oh child...perish the thought...I am Fal'cie! Might be my fav reveal of a boss in the entire series! And combined with the Barthandelus Battle theme playing it was just so epic

ZangBa

I don't really like FFVIII, but I'd say the final boss is probably the most epic in scale considering what she was trying to do.

My personal picks would probably be FFVII and X. Safer Sephiroth with One Winged Angel playing is godlike. Also, I know how people like to say Kefka is great and all because he won or whatever, but I don't see Kefka destroying the entire solar system just to hurt 3 people for 15/16 of their life, AND he restores all of the planets and sun just so he keep doing it again. Checkmate.

FFX only because Braska's Final Aeon is really cool with that cheesy metal song. Yu Yevon sucks.

Pharaun

!!!

Let 'em know. Ultimecia is my favorite villain of the series (Edea too, while possessed). SO underrated and badass, and I love her look. The Extreme is the best final boss track too, yes better than One Winged Angel. I do love the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory, but I don't want it to be true, it's just too heartbreaking :(

Plus what other villain comes even CLOSE to accomplishing their goal like Ulty did with Time Compression? Ultimecia gets it done.

Face_of_Ultimecia.jpg

Slay

Having just replayed VIII, I can tell you that Ultimecia didn't get it done. The whole plan was to let her "win" since that was the only way to get to her physical form. Squall and Rinoa could have hidden in the middle of nowhere away from Ellone and Ultimecia would have sat in her castle not being able to do jack shit about it. They only let her "win" because it was the best way to save the Present and the Future.

I really like the game, but let's not kid ourselves about what Ultimecia actually accomplished.

As has been said, Kefka doesn't come close to his goal, he literally achieves it. He just wanted to destroy the world and create chaos.

The entire second half of the game is about what happens when the villain wins, and what comes afterwards.

Yep, Kefka won, and kept winning for over a year. Beat him down was incredibly epic.

I guess Yu Yevon won as well, and he won for centuries, I don't remember exactly how long the whole pilgrimage to stop Sin thing had be going on

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Definitely the final boss of Heavensward. The most exceptional fan service I've ever seen.
Somehow it completely went over my head that I was fighting
the Knights of the Round
until I was actually in the fight itself. I had missed all the signs.

It was awesome. Really hoping for a hard/EX mode version of this fight.

For me its this guy, Promathia from FFXI's 2nd expansion.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-reOXBulk

The end of a really well written and challenging story, the arena you fight in is absolutely breathtaking, the music is on point, and you get one of the best NPCs in the game fighting on your side.

Easily one of the highlights of my ~10 year history of the game and my favorite boss fight in the series. It is truly epic.

Man this post really took me back :') :').

Final boss of Heavensward
Final Boss of FFVIII
Final Boss of LRFFXIII (and my favourite)

The first two would definitely be my picks as well! Dat Heavensward final boss. Yeah it wasn't too challenging, but it was fricken epic.

FF8 (maybe a bit of nostalgia bias because it's my favourite of the series).. But everything about that final boss worked for me. The castle leading up to it. The ending afterwards. The fight itself. yyyeeesss...

I'm gonna go with the final boss of FFXIV Heavensward too.

It would be better if the fight was actually hard though. Needs an extreme mode asap.

Having just replayed VIII, I can tell you that Ultimecia didn't get it done. The whole plan was to let her "win" since that was the only way to get to her physical form. Squall and Rinoa could have hidden in the middle of nowhere away from Ellone and Ultimecia would have sat in her castle not being able to do jack shit about it. They only let her "win" because it was the best way to save the Present and the Future.

I really like the game, but let's not kid ourselves about what Ultimecia actually accomplished.

Ultimecia started a world war so she could find Ellone. Odine, Laguna, and others did allow her to achieve time compression I can't argue that point but they did so because she was too dangerous to leave uncontested in the future (where she is essentially a world dictator and has completely laid waste to SeeD). The other element that makes Ultimecia fascinating is the FF8 time loop. Even though Squall and the others succeed in going to the future and defeating her when they return to their own time Ultimecia has not yet been born. No other FF villain casts that kind of shadow. I think she's one of FF's most fascinating villains.

Ochibi

Man this post really took me back :') :').

The first two would definitely be my picks as well! Dat Heavensward final boss. Yeah it wasn't too challenging, but it was fricken epic.

FF8 (maybe a bit of nostalgia bias because it's my favourite of the series).. But everything about that final boss worked for me. The castle leading up to it. The ending afterwards. The fight itself. yyyeeesss...

The Extreme is the best

Lulubop

Ok i think imma buy ff14 because of this thread.

Also I agree it was Kefka but I've always felt like storywise he shouldn't have lost the party. Even if the goddess statues were moved

Nothing tops Ultimecia for me. Especially factoring in the "Ultimecia is Rinoa" theory, when she summons Griever. And then in the end when "The Extreme" starts to play and Ultimecia reappears as that crazy upside-down sorceress thing and knocks your party down to 1HP instantly, my heart was racing!

Yes, Ultimecia >>>>

That battle was LONG also. I loved it.

Ultimecia started a world war so she could find Ellone. Odine, Laguna, and others did allow her to achieve time compression I can't argue that point but they did so because she was too dangerous to leave uncontested in the future (where she is essentially a world dictator and has completely laid waste to SeeD). The other element that makes Ultimecia fascinating is the FF8 time loop. Even though Squall and the others succeed in going to the future and defeating her when they return to their own time Ultimecia has not yet been born. No other FF villain casts that kind of shadow. I think she's one of FF's most fascinating villains.

Yup.

Ultimecia already won in the future. Her goal was to win in the past and present. So then it becomes about stopping her in the far future, and in order to have the opportunity to stop her they had to essentially give into her time compression scheme.

Lulubop

He said epic, not most easy to one shot every form.

I'm going with V or VIII. V does what VI did after it, only better, and VIII for having the best Music.

What? With the amount of stupid bullshit in FF8 Ultimecia is much easier than Kefka. Pretty sure you can't one shot Kefka's final form but you can one shot every form of Ultimecia.

Wagram

Depending on how you view it Bahamut is the final boss for A Realm Reborn and it's an extremely well designed fight. Absolutely love it. Terraflare was orgasmic the first time you seen it.

Red Mage

He said epic, not most easy to one shot every form.

I'm going with V or VIII. V does what VI did after it, only better, and VIII for having the best Music.

Every FF Boss is easy. V's probably the second worst offender with double-cast+summoner+Mimic.

Bulzeeb

in terms of epic feeling, I am going to vote for FF6 but in terms of threat to the world, I am going to vote for FF5 because it seems the cleft of dimensions is the place that joins all the FF universe together so technically Exdeath plan was to erase all the FF worlds if he had succeeded

What? With the amount of stupid bullshit in FF8 Ultimecia is much easier than Kefka. Pretty sure you can't one shot Kefka's final form but you can one shot every from Ultimecia.

While it is technically 8 hits on Kefka, it's still one turn.

Every FF Boss is easy. V's probably the second worst offender with double-cast+summoner+Mimic.

I'm very much aware of this, but holding up Kefka, the actual fight as something epic, is hilarious. The presentation on the other hand, is amazing.

Any typical leveled up party member in almost all of the games is enough to beat any of the final bosses, just look at WHM vs Chaos FF1 vids.

Snake

It's down to 4 or 6 for me, and the overall experience of 4 wins out for being providing a measure of difficulty. 6 has an amazing presentation but is just too easy unless I severely handicap myself.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gotta be FF4's Zeromus
- his design as an otherworldly, grotesque alien monster
- the space backdrop
- him attacking by calling forth a Big Bang and a black hole
- him being one of the more challenging FF final bosses
- the game was probably the first one I recall where all your friends lend you their power to defeat him

Meowster

The hype meter for Ultimecia was huge. Her castle was really unlike anything else in Final Fantasy and, if you suck at the Junction system, her method for choosing your party members and the insane amount of different forms makes for an extremely chaotic boss fight. Not to mention that they she can simply will away any of your abilities or magics at any point in the boss fight. The Extreme is also boss.

Even though there's no way he could win most epic boss fight of any Final Fantasy, I want to give props to Chaos from FF1.

zHp88yQ.png

I think Garland's plot that gets gradually revealed is actually reasonably clever, kind of ahead of its time for the console and gaming in general. At the same time Dragon Warrior was just doing "oh kill the evil bad dragon man" type stuff. Time shenanigans, that's ambitious.

He looks sufficiently grand and intimidating, but he's not overdesigned like many later FF bosses. He has a consistent color scheme and doesn't look like a paint splatter with wings. His name is simple and to the point: this dude is the embodiment of chaos. And he's got a repertoire of badass attacks, some that you don't see anywhere else in the game, and can take you down pretty quick if you're not careful.

I like 'im.

Teknoman

Yeah FFVI is kinda hard to top. Neo EX Death's design was really out there though. And of course FFXIV 1.0's final boss battle...where the future refused to change.

EDIT: I still have no idea what Zeromus is supposed to look like. Fight is pretty awesome though since you're literally fighting in outer space. Only other RPG I've seen do that is FFXI and Xenoblade.

Also to be fair with Dragon Quest, its kinda cool how they planned out the time flow between what happens in 1, 2, and 3.

3 actually takes place first, and you end up traveling to another dimension which is where 1 takes place, setting those events into motion, with 2 being the end of the saga?

I really do need to play FF1 (Origins version) again though.

Top Bottom