• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most "epic" final boss in Final Fantasy?

Final Fantasy VI. The statues, climbing up to Kefka while Dancing Mad is going. For me at least, nothing in a FF game since has come close.

I've got to agree w/ this one. And after that super depressing slog through the WoR, and hacking through that byzantine dungeon, and then fighting up that twisted tower to finally take down this sick angel clown bastard. Major catharsis on this one.

That said, I think there are tons of other great boss battles throughout the series.

I have a special spot for FFVI's final boss battle. It just seemed... perfect. Don't hurt Nomura drew that whole sequence ascending to Kefka. Yeah, back before he became "zipper/belt guy", he was designing some of the most BADASS monsters in FFV and FFVI:
Tower_of_gods_ffvi_concept_art.jpg
Kefka_final_ffvi_concept_art.jpg

Definitely not Exdeath. Tough to make fighting a tree feel epic.

I don't know, his tree version DOES look kinda creepy. Looks like you what you get if you cross-bred the kid-eating tree from Poltergeist with Freddy Krueger:

White-Hole-FFV-iOS.png

Can't wait to see what they're cooking up for XV.
If past trailers are any indication, Eidolons boss battles will make everybody's jaws fall to the ground.

I also look forward to this. Gotta be epic, especially with Shimomura providing the theme.

FFVI with Dancing Mad playing and Kekfa ascending ever higher as the battle goes on. On phone, someone should post that Destructoid(?) article on it.

If we just forget the Yu Yevon fight exists, X would be a top contender. That fight is so metal with giant Jecht and Otherworld blaring.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hades (both parts) is easily the best final battle in FFXI, its not overly difficult but then you can practically one-shot Promathia with an ilvl character. Airship fight was always the best battle in CoP anyway.

Visually Provenance Watcher has his charms too.

I would say the FFXIV Heavensward final story fight, but it was too easy of an encounter. One of the few Trials in the game that I would really want to see an Extreme version for.

Otherwise, FFXI's Promathia and the Warring Triad/Kefka fights would get top billing.

I'm a bit shocked that I'm writing this, but I'm gonna go w/ X. The whole assault on Sin leading up to the final encounter. The music. The teenage angst. And then Yu Yevon's bizarre final form (almost as bizarre as Lavos' core).

Yeah, X's final battle was damn epic...

For me I think that will go to VIII's Ultimecia with IX's Trance Kuja and Necron behind.
The music and visuals definitely get me pumped in VIII and there's more danger in the VIII battle as Ultimecia can permanently kill characters and blow away magic. Fighting her in the void of time and space while using Invincible Moon and spamming Limit Breaks is great!

Part of me wants to reserve my vote until XV, they could get very nuts with the real-time action gameplay if the KH series is any indication.

You know there's going to be another thread like this after XV comes out right?

Teuoxton

FFVI with Dancing Mad playing and Kekfa ascending ever higher as the battle goes on. On phone, someone should post that Destructoid(?) article on it.
If only the SNES had that disc addon, we could have gotten actual voices in Dancing Mad as originally planned instead of synth. That might take a little thunder out of One Winged Angel's sails though.

I'm a bit shocked that I'm writing this, but I'm gonna go w/ X. The whole assault on Sin leading up to the final encounter. The music. The teenage angst. And then Yu Yevon's bizarre final form (almost as bizarre as Lavos' core).

Yeah, X's final battle was damn epic...

I think it would have been better if auto-life didn't exist. There was nothing at stake in that battle.

pantsmith

VI's last boss fight was soo easy, though. Just pure spectacle, and if we're going on spectacle alone VII is way more over the top for when it came out.

For me I loved VIII because it was challenging, thematically incredible, and you always had that risk of your party member being absorbed into time.

Of the games I've played I'd say the final boss of XIV - Heavensward, unfortunately it's really easy but it's such a strong finale that it doesn't really matter.

Caronte

Final Fantasy VIII by far. Every single song is a masterpiece. Also, it wasn't as stupidly easy as some of the others.

Lulubop

VI's last boss fight was soo easy, though. Just pure spectacle, and if we're going on spectacle alone VII is way more over the top for when it came out.

For me I loved VIII because it was challenging, thematically incredible, and you always had that risk of your party member being absorbed into time.

Pressing cicrle repeatedly til Squalls limit break pops up sure is a challenge

finalfant3-1.png

Using 12 characters to climb from the summit of Kefka's Dark Tower in the sky to the heavens against the dark angel himself. Great soundtrack, maybe slightly easy but overall really memorable and my favourite.

I dream of seeing this rendered in 3D with Amano-inspired paint shaders. Would make for a stunning fight. Lots of great camera angles possible. Imagine being ground level looking upward at this thing reaching the sky, with gorgeous cloud action circling around like the eye of a hurricane.

RavenH2

Final Fantasy VII - Jenova∙SYNTHESIS, Bizarro Sephiroth, Safer Sephiroth, Sephiroth

Sans doubt. First time I went to the Meteor Crater was underprepared. (we used to play with my brother taking turns). We didn't have all the materia, goldchocobo, etc. Just wanted to finnish the game. Needless to say, I lost, hopelssly.

After that, we reloaded an old save and cruised the world looking for materia, gold chocobos, Ultima Weapons, and optional bosses. After I finally kiled Ruby Weapon.... I quit.... never went back to the meteor crater... neither did my brother (for a couple of moths, he then went back and we saw the ending)

He replays the game often (at leas once a year), and he gets everything and then, never beats Sephiroth (at that point he is just a breeze). Something about that first time we fougth him stuck with us. Perhaps the Remake will change that...

My brother won FFVIII, X, XIII, but no other game captured that Epic final battle sense, where everything was at stake (we were very invested in the characters), and where the possibility of losing was real. The final stand between Sephiroth and Cloud, were you defeat him with the Omnislash is so (for the lack of a better word) EPIC. I was cheering when I saw something similar in Advent Children.

I tried FFXIII, and got very far. I went to Grand Pulse and the returned to Cocoon. The figth (as soon as you tried to return) against Barthandelus was too much for me. I won, and after the cutscene of the race, I quit.

I loved FFXII, but after Pharos, never fought the end boss, even though I went for all the marks (Yamzat or something with his millons HP). Got beaten by Omega, and guess what? I quit.

VII.

One Winged Angel. Finally actually getting to take Sephiroth down, and OMNISLASHING TO WIN... hnnnngggg. Can't wait for the remaster, since it sounds like they're going to bastardize the remake.

Krafter

Final Fantasy VI is the pinnacle, it leaves such an impression I doubt it will ever be topped.

Final Fantasy VIII is my 2nd, the string of fights combined with Uematsu's finest in the background, so good.

Kuni

First thing that came to mind for "epic" is Super Nova from VII. Blew my teenage mind how awesome that was.

FFX was more ... impactful but not epic.

Shoutout for Heavensward though!

Tiamant

No FFIX? For shame you guys.

The epic intro fighting the white dragons, Memoria, Re-fight of the 4 fiends, Death Gaze and Kuja.

And yes, Necron too.

Ultimecia easily. The music, the design, the stake. Her final form encompasses and swallows the universe slowly through her dress, where if you Scan her you can see that her dress is freaking huuuuumongous.

FF VIII for me.
Going through Ultemicias Castle with limited options just builds up the tension to the fight. And then when Premonition starts playing through her final speech(Kurse all the SeeDs!) you can tell shits about to get real. The fact that you can fight Ultemicia whilst being handicapped means you can make the fight as hard as you want which is always fun. Beating Griever only to have Ultemicia junction herself whilst Maybe I Am A Lion plays , and then overcoming them thinking youve done it whilst the music fades into silence and the background fades to black just ramps up the atmosphere and tension.

And then it happens. Ultemicia appears again, The Extreme kicks in and she Casts Hells Judgement putting your entire party 1Hp before you even get a turn. Made me start spazzing the first time as i wasnt expecting it and i had to pause and calm down.

Trigger, Trigger , Trigger , Trigger , PERFECT!... Lionheart.

Ultimecia-GAF is a thing! Who would've thunk. :)

Ultimecia is also totally fabulous I mean look at the outfit she wears while possessing Edea! Regular Edea is so boring in her simple ankle length black dress and then Ultimecia comes along givers her a total make over. The conch shell? The feathered color? The weird bird beak mask thing? The fucking wheel thing with the amazing sheer window drapes that must've weighed a million pounds? Bitch has got style.

Ultimecia is so fabulous Jennifer Lopez stole her style with that green Versaci dress at the Oscars.

Ultimecia-GAF is a thing! Who would've thunk. :)

Ultimecia is also totally fabulous I mean look at the outfit she wears while possessing Edea! Regular Edea is so boring in her simple ankle length black dress and then Ultimecia comes along givers her a total make over. The conch shell? The feathered color? The weird bird beak mask thing? The fucking wheel thing with the amazing sheer window drapes that must've weighed a million pounds? Bitch has got style.

Ultimecia is so fabulous Jennifer Lopez stole her style with that green Versaci dress at the Oscars.

I always thought that was a Chocobo beak.

Pilgrimzero

I always liked FF4's Rubicante fight.

He healed you before the fight just to be fair.

Real emotional attachment though, probably fighting Seph in FF7. Dude ran up quite the debt in grief and it was time to collect in blood. Plus the music really kicked the "epic" into overdrive.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hard to call any one in particular. I mean, of course there's Kefka, but then there's Jet Bahamut (or really the entire finale marathon of XIII-2), then you have XIV with its stupid sexy Bahamut fight (which mostly rides on the coattails of Answers but whatever). The one I was personally invested in the most would probably be Nael-chan, in XIV as well, because babby's first raid and whatnot.

I guess if I had to pick one though it'd be Zeromus. I mean, Zeromus.

Zen Mu

The new Heavensward final boss is pretty epic, mainly becuause of the crazy shit that happens mid fight. Shame it's friggin easy though.

That being said, I would still vote Kefka. Not that hard too but also really impressive design overall.

Also that music is awesome.

I like that someone mentioned Promathia, I still chuckle when I think back to the first time my old crew did that fight and I saw in the chatbox "OH WTF DUDE?!? She just straight up drop kicked him!".

I'd have to go with Kefka though personally.

FF VIII for me.
Going through Ultemicias Castle with limited options just builds up the tension to the fight. And then when Premonition starts playing through her final speech(Kurse all the SeeDs!) you can tell shits about to get real. The fact that you can fight Ultemicia whilst being handicapped means you can make the fight as hard as you want which is always fun. Beating Griever only to have Ultemicia junction herself whilst Maybe I Am A Lion plays , and then overcoming them thinking youve done it whilst the music fades into silence and the background fades to black just ramps up the atmosphere and tension.

And then it happens. Ultemicia appears again, The Extreme kicks in and she Casts Hells Judgement putting your entire party 1Hp before you even get a turn. Made me start spazzing the first time as i wasnt expecting it and i had to pause and calm down.

Trigger, Trigger , Trigger , Trigger , PERFECT!... Lionheart.

IYyn46tl55Yyc.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Does FFXIV's Coil end boss count? Turn 13's
Bahamut Prime
. It was fucking amazing on all fronts. The story build up, the difficulty, and the fact that the opening movie music was the soundtrack of the fight, and actually synced up with the boss' strongest attacks.

Top Bottom